Probation extended

Hi,

My probation was extended rather unexpectedly.
I knew before my probation was extended that I wanted to leave the company and it spurred me on to leave.

Having been at the company over 6 months now, I wasn’t sure how I approach this in interviews. Do I be open and honest about the probation extension?

Thank you

Comments

• I don't think you need to mention it necessarily- I presume you mean interviews for other jobs...

I guess you could mention it if you wanted to under the banner of more time was required by both parties to see if the job was suitable for them.

I'd personally not wise to highlight, but again up to you.

Regards

B
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Probation is a fairly meaningless notion in any case: I'd just concentrate on explaining why you want to move on at this stage without highlighting that your employer isn't yet satisfied with your work.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If asked I would simply say that the job hasn't developed in the way you had expected.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is absolutely no need to mention "probation". You will have been employed for however long it is: it is the period of employment which matters.

Explaining why you left doesn't need to mention your employer's view of things.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    A surprising number of new jobs don't last longer than 3-6 months for all sorts of reasons so I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you don't have a whole series of short term employments on your CV a single one isn't going to be any problem.

I once left a job after 2 months as things weren't working out (I think I'd realised this by the end of week one and by the end of the first month I was certain and told by boss so). I spent most of that second month job hunting and just told everyone that the previous position didn't work out which the vast majority of recruiters and interviewers will see as a fact of life.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    I wouldn't mention it. I'd just say at interviews that you've given it 6 months but the job isn't what you expected it to be so you're looking for something else.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure