An idea how the government can save millions (billions) as well as can remove homeless people from..

Options
MusicianHomeless
MusicianHomeless Posts: 11 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 20 July 2019 at 5:31PM in Benefits & tax credits
An idea how the government can save millions (billions) as well as can remove homeless people from the streets PERMANENTLY:

A homeless will find a property of the total freehold value up to £20,000 where the landlord agrees with the homeless will be living there and the government will be paying to this landlord every month some money till the government will reach the total value of the property. Which will be their arrangement in a contract so that the homeless can become the owner of the property.

This is a charity act how to help people to remove homeless people from the streets to resolve the problem PERMANENTLY (with a freehold) and to save government's money. The government pays millions (billions) for rents for many years for the people but if they stop paying Housing benefit, they become homeless people, again. Unlike when they get freehold.

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Nope.

Housing benefit = rent

Plot of land = buy.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Taking this at face value......

Housing benefit pays your rent.
    If you are buying land, then it wouldn't be rent it would be a loan/mortgage, which housing benefit does not pay for.
    Aside from all the practicalities such as planning permission, setting up water, sewage, utilities. Etc. How would you get agreement and pay for those?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • boomer69
    boomer69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    Options
    I know Housing benefit is for a rent. However, I would like to know whether there is any way how I could get Housing benefit to buy a small plot and a container to live there?

For the government it is cheaper to buy this one (about £10 000 and nothing more) rather than the government usually pays about £1000 monthly for a studio flat for one or two years which is usual(?) (£12 000 - 24 000)
    Get a trusted friend to buy the plot and the container, then rent it from them.
    Let me know where you're buying a plot and container for £10k
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes this idea came into my mind, as well. But:

If this will be written in the tenancy agreement:

"After the tenant will pay the rent of the total amount £10,000.00 the tenant will become the owner of the land and the shipping container and of everything what is on the land."

will they give me the Housing benefit for such tenancy agreement?

No.........
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If this will be written in the tenancy agreement:

"After the tenant will pay the rent of the total amount £10,000.00 the tenant will become the owner of the land and the shipping container and of everything what is on the land."

will they give me the Housing benefit for such tenancy agreement?

That's not a tenancy agreement - it's clear it's a loan.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, also this is the question for this forum. Thank you for any ideas.

https://www.eco-home-essentials.co.uk/container-houses.html
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hmmmm, but on this link, there is nothing about Housing benefit.

Probably because it doesn't apply.

You seem to want an interest free loan to buy a piece of land and a container home. That is not available through housing benefit, because that is not what housing benefit is.
  • KatrinaWaves
    Options
    No, I am willing to pay some money for such help. But the problem is how to write it into contracts so that it can sound like a tenancy agreement.

You are acting like the ONLY stumbling block is the wording of the tenancy. It isn't. That is not the problem.

You need to get someone to give you a loan. That person is not the government. If you have no income, then this isn't going to happen.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    Why would you be asking for HB - which does not really exist now? Are you seeking work or are you excused from that in some way?

Rent is paid to a landlord who asset you are hiring for a period of 6 months or more. The landlord can't be you. There are also issues of renting from a related party.

So who will be the tenant and who will be the landlord?

If you intend to be both tenant and landlord (for the sake of a label or two) by purchasing and living in a property, you may be thinking about Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)

Further details here

https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortgage-interest
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • KatrinaWaves
    Options
    It's not about any loan. It's about who will pay it. When government can pay rents, government could pay a cheap purchase, as well. Which is cheaper rather than to pay rents for several years.

You cannot just decide something is a good idea and make it happen. No one is going to buy you a container home to rent to you and then you get to own it, other than friends or family, or, yourself.

It doesnt matter how cheap it is. The govt has a duty to house people and there is no guarantee that you wouldnt just sell the home at the end of this and then claim housing help/homelessness again in the future. And no you cannot just 'write that into the tenancy' that you promise not to do this.

Your outlook is very naive and there is no current function of govt and benefits for this to happen. There is no current way to do this. if you think it is a fantastic idea, write to your MP with the suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure