Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • B4rlogas
    • By B4rlogas 17th Jul 19, 6:25 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 15Thanks
    B4rlogas
    0 WOW
    Dog chewed my passport
    • 17th Jul 19, 6:25 AM
    0 WOW
    Dog chewed my passport 17th Jul 19 at 6:25 AM
    Morning, Iím in desperate need of some advice, me and my partner supposed to be travelling to Alicante tomorrow from east Midlands Airport with Ryanair, after checking in last night with the passports my frenchie Frankie decided to chew my passport, I really need to know if I will be able to use it, thanks Chris
Page 2
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Jul 19, 9:50 AM
    • 4,837 Posts
    • 2,936 Thanks
    eDicky
    Every page has been chewed slightly on the bottom corner, the last 2 digits are missing after all the arrows on the bottom strip if that makes sense, itís the new biometric passport with 2 photos so thereís no film over the photo as they are printed
    Originally posted by B4rlogas
    So 'chewed slightly', but missing digits on the strip. Hopefully no actual paper material is lost.

Spanish immigration uses modern terminals that read the RFID so as long as that is still working the corrupted strip should not be so major.

But first you have to get through the Ryanair boarding gate, you will depend on their judgement, whoever is senior enough to decide, who will probably and understandably err on the side of caution. On the other hand, you might just pass with little or no comment.

I've had a passport renewed in two hours, but you need a really good reason for showing up at the office without an appointment, otherwise forget it.

It might be worth clamping it tightly between solid flat objects overnight, if that would mitigate the distortion, but maybe better to just have a photo of Frankie on your phone to display as explanation, along with an innocent smile...

Good luck and let us know how it goes. At least Frankie will be pleased to see you back so soon if the gate staff block you, which was of course his intention...
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 17th Jul 19, 9:55 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Right photo received, let me sort it.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 17th Jul 19, 10:01 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Right here you go. Took the liberty of blanking out a few more things ((including the passport number down the right hand side!)

• B4rlogas
    • By B4rlogas 17th Jul 19, 10:11 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    B4rlogas
    hxxp://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/b4rlogas/1341B059-BFB9-4091-B0BD-7DADDD7CDCFA.jpg
    • B4rlogas
    • By B4rlogas 17th Jul 19, 10:12 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    B4rlogas
    Thanks bradders I appreciate it
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 17th Jul 19, 12:43 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    smudge56
    Thanks bradders I appreciate it
    You will definitely have to replace your passport. If you have your flight details take them with you to the passport office. They mat accommodate you and give you the premium service. It will cost you £177 for that service Go online and make an appointment
    • B4rlogas
    • By B4rlogas 17th Jul 19, 12:55 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    B4rlogas
    I’ve contacted the passport office several times begging them, damaged and lost passports is 7 days, expired passports yes same day,
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 17th Jul 19, 1:04 PM
    • 13,238 Posts
    • 9,109 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Iíve contacted the passport office several times begging them, damaged and lost passports is 7 days, expired passports yes same day,

A long shot, but try calling your MP's office. Staff who work for MPs have special numbers for all government departments and agencies, and so can speak with people more senior than you could ever reach. Maybe one of them could find a way to help you.
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 17th Jul 19, 1:16 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    Looking at that picture I would say it's totally acceptable, with a suitable explanation. All relevant data is present. However, the world is full of jobsworths and I strongly suspect it will be rejected.

I was at the departure gate once when a woman presented her passport to the EasyJet staff, whereupon she was told "there's a rose over the photo". What! It turned out that 'the rose' was a slight bubble in the plastic laminate. It was touch and go whether the EasyJet operative would let her board, but after a great deal of debate, during which the woman became quite distressed, they grudgingly allowed her to board.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you get it sorted.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 17th Jul 19, 3:59 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    This sounds like the sort of excuse kids would use to explain why they hadn't done their homework !!!

Hope it works out for you, good luck.
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 17th Jul 19, 4:12 PM
    • 1,778 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    cubegame
    Your only chance is to go for it.

Take additional ID and also (if you have it) a printout of a copy of your passport.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 17th Jul 19, 4:43 PM
    • 10,507 Posts
    • 16,425 Thanks
    worried jim
    There is a likelihood once you get to the other end, you wont be allowed into Spain with it.

Thats assuming you are even let on the plane when the staff look at your passport at the boarding gate. As said, you may as well try as its far too late now to get a new one for later today, but prepare to be disappointed. Airlines arent in the habit of letting people board the plane who are likely to be turned back as I believe they end up being fined.
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    I went through Malaga airport a few weeks ago and they just waved me through whilst holding my passport up showing the front.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 17th Jul 19, 9:24 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    smudge56
    Iíve contacted the passport office several times begging them, damaged and lost passports is 7 days, expired passports yes same day,
    No you spoke to their call centre not the passport office. Tweet them in the morning. Itís the staff at the actual office who decide whether or not they will give you the premium service not the call centre
    • B4rlogas
    • By B4rlogas 17th Jul 19, 9:33 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    B4rlogas
    Do you have a contact number?
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 18th Jul 19, 7:11 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    bradders1983
    I went through Malaga airport a few weeks ago and they just waved me through whilst holding my passport up showing the front.
    Originally posted by worried jim

Well its going to depend on the airport isnt it? Barcelona T2 a few weeks ago they sent most people through the E-Gates and the rest went into a manual queue where it certainly didnt look like they were just waving people through after a cursory look.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 18th Jul 19, 8:28 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Wouldnt it just be worth turning up at the Passport Office and trying your luck? Are you on the 5pm or the 2pm?
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 18th Jul 19, 8:55 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    Archergirl
    Let us know how it goes, never flown Ryanair but here they can be ars** just hope you get a nice person.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 18th Jul 19, 8:56 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Let us know how it goes, never flown Ryanair but here they can be ars** just hope you get a nice person.
    Originally posted by Archergirl
    Any airline will be "arsey" if they fear one of their passengers will be turned back by Spanish security, given they have to pay for it. Nothing at all to do with how "nice" someone is.
    • B4rlogas
    • By B4rlogas 18th Jul 19, 9:31 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    B4rlogas
    18:15 flight
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 18th Jul 19, 9:58 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    Archergirl
    Ryanair are famed for their 'jobsworth' attitude. If the passport can be read by the machine they are fine, if not they cannot fly, but if they just look at it and say no then that is not right.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,285Posts Today

7,326Users online

Martin's Twitter