Loud Neighbours

consumers_revenge
consumers_revenge Posts: 3,545
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
Hi.

We recently had new neighbours move in and her being a mum of 3 tends to be fairly loud.

I dont mind kids as I have 2 of my own but need to do something as they dont seem to have a bedtime ( 11,8,4 ).

So in order to keep the peace I was looking at having the party wall sound proofed, well reduced. Im not sure that we were just as loud to the older lady who used to live next door.

Has anyone had there walls sound proofed? Did it make a lot of difference? seems like about £450-£500 per wall and we would need 4 done.

Cheers.

Comments

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's incredibly difficult to sound-proof a party wall once the house is up; it's not just the open face of the wall that the sound comes through.

It will make some difference; it may be little, it may be a lot. It's impossible to say without knowing the precise construction of your homes.
  • I believe theres no cavity and its just a double brick on the party wall.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds can come through floor voids, where there are joists, voids behind the plaster, ceilings, etc.

If the noise was really bad, and I could hear that it was coming directly through the wall, I would be tempted to try and insulate one wall as a test.

I'd use the densest rockwool batts I could acquire.
  • I realise you can’t deaden it completely but best endeavours.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    It might be much cheaper just to go round to your neighbours with a bottle of wine, a pleasant smile and say, "Look, I know children can be noisy, but these houses aren't very well soundproofed so can we talk about noise levels in the evening and see what can be done about it because it's becoming a bit of an issue for us".

They probably don't realise how much it's affecting anybody apart from themselves, and at least might be an incentive for them to try and keep the noise down. If you can have some suggestions about what time you think is a reasonable time for it to stop, then say so. tell them how it's affecting you and if it's keeping your own children awake, (stopping them from sleeping properly, being alert at school the next day, etc.). .

People are often so wrapped up in their own affairs they forget how their household noise can disturb other people, and perhaps don't even realise it's happening..
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,326
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'm seconding the trying to talk to them or learning to live with the noise as it seems like a major project and they may well move , or you might!

What sort of noise is it and are they ways you could block it with white noise etc if you aren't willing or able to get them to make lifestyle changes?
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • To be honest I dont tend to take much notice unless they are really loud. On the nighttime I turn tv on and my ears tend to listen to my tv even though I know theres is on.

Its not MAJOR more aware.

Because they are home during the day ( home schooled ) I tend to hear them and its a bit distracting when working from home. Or they tend to move furniture about. Dont think the housing association provides carpets so also noise from that.

Havent had much to do with them yet but the wife hears the noise more than me as she goes to bed earlier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure