Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 14th Jul 19, 9:40 PM
    • 2,612Posts
    • 37,081Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 15th July 2019
    • 14th Jul 19, 9:40 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 15th July 2019 14th Jul 19 at 9:40 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have something Flylady-related!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up.

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

IF ANYONE WANTS ANYTHING ADDED TO THE LISTS, WHEN EACH DAY IS DUE TO BE ADDED, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW

Right here goes:

Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level One

Clean the sink, drainer and taps
    Wipe the work surface you can see
    Level Two
    Hoover and mop the floor
    Sort out and wipe out the fridge
    Level Three
    Clean the WM filters and drawer
    Wash the window
    Wipe over the hob and oven door
    Extras
    • Clean some shoes
    • HHI
    • Deal with a hotspot

Tuesday - Living room, Hall and downstairs Loo
    Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be a hot one today.
    Hoover/wipe the sofas
    S&S the sink and toilet
    Level Two
    Dust the electricals, front, back, sides and underneath
    Hoover the floor
    Wipe the windowledge
    Level Three
    HH tidying, decluttering, sorting
    Wipe some paintwork, skirting boards, behind the toilet/sink
    Extras
    • Order pet supplies or make vet appointments
    • Clean out pets/pet bedding
    • Check you know when sports day/end of term is
    • No pets or kids?read a book or do some craft

Wednesday - Master Bedroom and Landing
    Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be another hot one today.
    Change the bed, hoover the matress, turn it if you can
    Level Two
    Hoover the stairs, landing and bedroom
    Wipe the window ledges
    Level Three
    Dust any dusty bits
    Deal with hotspots/floorobes
    Wipe the bedstead
    Extras
    • Arrange for boiler service or chimney sweep
    • Recycle any paper/magazines lying around
    • Do something you want to do rather than feel you should

Thursday - Bathrooms
    Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be another hot one today.
    Clean toilets and sinks
    Level Two
    Change the towels
    Hoover and wipe the floor
    Wipe the splashbacks
    Level Three
    Clean out the plug holes
    Shine the mirrors
    Clean the bath and shower
    Extras
    • HHPaperwork
    • Declultter a drawer
    • Me Me Me time

Friday - Children's Bedrooms or spare rooms/rooms of Doom
    Level One

Strip, wash and replace bedding
    Level Two
    Hoover floor
    HH tidying or decluttering
    Level Three
    Wipe the skirting boards
    Wash an item of soft furnishings
    Clear then dust a flat surface (or 2)
    Extras
    • Find a new recipe to use
    • Sort out your receipts/purse
    • Check dates on passports/MoTs/insurance etc
    Last edited by Natty68; 18-07-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 3
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 19th Jul 19, 4:28 AM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 21,292 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Thanks pigpen I'll try that next week

WM on, not much to do this morning as it's just vacuuming through and washing the floors for me today, which I'll do when I get in from work this evening.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 19th Jul 19, 5:13 AM
    • 21,234 Posts
    • 240,102 Thanks
    Valli
    It's the LAST DAY OF TERM

WOOTY WOOTY WOOOT WOOOT WOOOOOOOOT
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • asparklyblonde
    • By asparklyblonde 19th Jul 19, 5:54 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    asparklyblonde

Originally posted by Valli
    Wot she said

Have fab days all. Six weeks off from 2pm!!
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 19th Jul 19, 7:32 AM
    • 10,827 Posts
    • 129,820 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Enjoy your last day of term.

Jojo, make sure you take everything that is yours, when you leave.

It is raining here
    Kitchen is on the list first, then I will sort a couple of draws out.
    Outside little gate has been mended now it needs painting, but is wet, so that is a job for later on if it dries out or over the weekend.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 12 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 19th Jul 19, 4:27 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 31,736 Thanks
    dancemum
    Late to the party this week, sorry.

Scattered the rest of dancepopís ashes on Tuesday at a beautiful place where his Mum was.

Today
    Frogs 🐸 tackled
    Emptied the under the sink cleaning cupboard :eek
    Disposed of a few bottles and empty packets.
    Dismantled part of the ubend to see if that is causing the one sink to fill when I empty the washing up bowl into the other. It wasnít blocked but it was dirty. Cleaned it and replaced the pipes.
    Cleaned the cupboard doors and shelves
    Washing machine filter cleaned after daily laundry completed
    House dysoned
    Bird feeders cleaned
    Tv stand dusted
    Window sill dusted
    Bathroom towel rail cleaned with p ink stuff. I was expecting a miracle but it does look a little better.
    Toilet deep cleaned
    Dance show dvd watched
    Phoned dancegran

Takeaway ordered as itís DHís Birthday
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 19th Jul 19, 5:03 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 2,251 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Hello all

Late in today, happy last day of term to those it applies to! I have had a chaotic day at the paid stuff and not done yet. I have another telephone meeting to join in 30 mins so just grabbing a bite and a cuppa while I can.
    Zero flying done today, cats have been fighting so there is fluff everywhere. All will have to wait until tomorrow!

Back to work I go!!
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 19th Jul 19, 5:06 PM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 21,292 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Evening all

Floors done.

I sprayed some flea spray around the carpets this morning so that's all nicely vacuumed away now.

About to put WM on with last of the work clothes and then help myself to a glass of wine.

It's a wonderful feeling going into the weekend knowing that the house is sorted and I can just enjoy the time off
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 19th Jul 19, 8:34 PM
    • 25,705 Posts
    • 105,556 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Ended up conspicuously saving the day on a couple of occasions (equipment failure. Well, user failure, but it'll do when everybody saw me march across and sort the things that I'm apparently not needed to do, because somebody else can do it, apparently.

Instead of my usual working until the last minute, I was summoned from working for five minutes to get the gifts. Prosecco, Chocolate, a plant and a card. Then went back to work until the first opportunity I could run away. But I got a nice reed diffuser and a big hug from one of the kids, which was lovely.

I'm currently feeling a little ick from eating two of the chocolates (I don't even like the things, but felt I should at least try) and I'm necking the bottle of plonk from 3 years ago, as we've run out of space in the fridge now, so I decided it might be a plan to actually open one for a change.

I had gradually squirrelled out all my stuff over the last couple of months, just in case somebody got a bit weird about it, so just had my jute shopping bag and pressies in it. And I deleted all my non work related emails and files, just so nothing comes back and bites me on the behind if they don't get around to deleting my account.

The Head made a huge thing about how fantastic and challenging my new job will be. I don't quite get this, as I think it sounds like a walk in the park compared to what I have been doing. But then I checked the local rag and I've apparently managed to get a job with one of the best state schools in the country. and the best here by far.

So I'm gradually getting slightly sloshed whilst Himself watches yet another Moon Landing programme.

[Hic]

Here's to six weeks of gainful unemployment (and the last days of being slightly louche, as I have to be - gasp - vaguely respectable from September.)!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 19th Jul 19, 9:31 PM
    • 2,734 Posts
    • 39,386 Thanks
    ionafan
    Well, I started writing this at 7.00 am...

I hope that all school staff and Flykids have had a happy last day of term - glad you got some nice presents and kind words, Jojo

I am still here, lurking more often than posting. I can now see carpet and the spare bed and the surface of my desk, and I have cleaned all through upstairs My personal list has shrunk by several lines despite the fact that I have dealt with about 6 extra items that came in this morning. And I spent all afternoon at the horse piddle, having a check-up in the ophthalmology department, only to be told that - although there hasn't been any sign of bleeding apart from a tiny spot last time I had my eyes tested at the opticians - they will see me again in 4 months' time I ought to be grateful that they are taking good care of me, but I'd really rather use my afternoons in other ways.

Rosie has spent most of the day curled up behind the sofa in true street dog "stay out of the wet" style - sensible creature! She is now trying to attract my attention in the hope that I will play with her. Yes, I will, as soon as I have finished this post.

Tomorrow I shall clean downstairs and do some washing. The weather forecast is cloud in the morning and light showers in the afternoon, but DH will run out of socks if I don't wash some soon!

Happy weekend to all xx
    • Valli
    • By Valli 19th Jul 19, 10:15 PM
    • 21,234 Posts
    • 240,102 Thanks
    Valli
    House = tip

Who cares? Time do sort scrub and fling and I shall
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 20th Jul 19, 5:16 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 2,251 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Morning all

6am start on a Saturday! Oh well....

After a couple of days of minimal or zero flying the house seems to have turned into a tip! Not quite sure how as I have been mainly working in one room and DH has been out most of the time!!!

We have more rain forecast here today so I am not sure what to do about the pile of washing that has built up, tomorrow is forecast to be nicer so I may have to leave it until then, or perhaps I will do one load at least to try and keep it slightly under control.

I need to blitz the whole house, do the food shop, some batch cooking, probably about 4-5 loads of washing, loads of things to be tidied away, bins and litter trays to be emptied, washed and reset. I’m sure there are other things as well but that is probably enough to be getting on with!!

I am going to finish my tea, then have quick shower and get this show on the road. DH is not well so I think most if not all of the tasks will have to be done by me.

Hope you all have a lovely day and there aren’t too many sore heads after an evening celebrating the end of term!

Back later with progress report xx
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 20th Jul 19, 8:02 AM
    • 10,827 Posts
    • 129,820 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Overcast here
    OH has gone back to bed!
    I've done the kitchen, hallway and hoovered, that is it for today
    I've redressed my wound.

I 'think' I want to paint the bedroom, so may (once OH gets up) go to look at paint colours......
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 12 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 20th Jul 19, 8:09 AM
    • 5,807 Posts
    • 56,801 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Not much flying going on here, but I'm with you all in spirit. So glad for everyone that works in schools that you're now on holiday.
    Keeping it AF
    • froddington
    • By froddington 20th Jul 19, 12:29 PM
    • 6,681 Posts
    • 94,228 Thanks
    froddington

Originally posted by Valli
    So glad for everyone that works in schools that you're now on holiday.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    Hmmpphh - Some of us still have 2 more days until the end of term
    And the children and staff are already shattered.

Taking my little lot to the seaside on Mon though so that should be nice

HB - it's always interesting to find a 'new' branch of the tree. Must do some more research for mine over the holidays x

Valli - I'm with you on the need to sort, scrub and fling
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 20th Jul 19, 2:49 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 2,251 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Phew, I’m done!
    Food shop done
    Whole house hoovered and dusted
    Bedding changed
    2 loads washing done
    Tidying done
    Bathroom, en-suite and downstairs loo scrubbed
    All bins emptied, disinfected
    Litter trays emptied, washed and reset
    Washing sorted in to loads ready for tomorrow

Just going to have another shower then sit in the garden for a bit.

Plan for tomorrow is some batch cooking and some baking and to clear the washing.

Hope you are all having a good day x
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 20th Jul 19, 4:14 PM
    • 5,807 Posts
    • 56,801 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I'm feeling a bit defeated by it all today. The printer has just jammed because I didn't move a box of gibble before I started printing, so what should have been a two minute job turned into 30 minutes. #alwayssomething
    Keeping it AF
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 20th Jul 19, 7:35 PM
    • 2,734 Posts
    • 39,386 Thanks
    ionafan
    I'm feeling a bit defeated by it all today.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear
    Sorry to hear that, Honey Bear. I think we all get days like that...

Hope you all have a lovely day at the seaside, Froddy

Today I have
    - done WMx3, hung out, and brought in *almost* dry because it rained at lunchtime
    - dusted and hoovered downstairs
    - steam mopped the kitchen floor
    - changed a lightbulb
    - removed a ceiling light cover and cleaned out the mummified remains of a few of last year's wasps
    - taken Rosie for her walk
    - cooked a roast dinner
    - done some paperwork (but there's still more that must be done before I fall into bed, as it's needed tomorrow morning).
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 20th Jul 19, 9:30 PM
    • 25,705 Posts
    • 105,556 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Himself persuaded me out of the house to go to some community event, despite my saying I'd slept really badly and was still very, very tired. The bus toook us directly over the spot where my brother's accident happened and then the afternoon was spent in my old Stomping Ground around places he'd taken me on various Saturday afternoon expeditions as a kid. The air smelled the same, the various bits of music drifting from people's gardens was the same and then we went to a pub that was playing his type of music.

Eventually, Himself got the hint just before I made a complete wally of myself in public.

We came home.

Tomorrow is another day, I guess.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 20th Jul 19, 10:48 PM
    • 2,734 Posts
    • 39,386 Thanks
    ionafan
    (((Hugs))) Jojo. I don't think you were the wally.

DH has sat in his chair all evening with his slippers off. Consequently he has left bits of black sock fluff all over a patch of beige carpet that I only hoovered this morning

Paperwork now completed, so I'm off to bed.

G'night all - see you on the new thread. Valli, I am afraid... very afraid!!!
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 21st Jul 19, 6:04 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 2,251 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Morning all

Early start again for me, it’s a beautiful day so going to make the most of it.

Just having some tea, first wash load is swishing. I am going to shower next and then do some baking and batch cooking. DH will do the garden and then I think we will head out for a walk this afternoon if everything is done and it’s not too hot!

Have a lovely day all xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,461Users online

Martin's Twitter