Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 14th Jul 19, 9:40 PM
    • 2,614Posts
    • 37,083Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 15th July 2019
    • 14th Jul 19, 9:40 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 15th July 2019 14th Jul 19 at 9:40 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have something Flylady-related!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please donít stress about catching up.

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!

MAD half hour - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

IF ANYONE WANTS ANYTHING ADDED TO THE LISTS, WHEN EACH DAY IS DUE TO BE ADDED, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO LET ME KNOW

Right here goes:

Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level One

Clean the sink, drainer and taps
    Wipe the work surface you can see
    Level Two
    Hoover and mop the floor
    Sort out and wipe out the fridge
    Level Three
    Clean the WM filters and drawer
    Wash the window
    Wipe over the hob and oven door
    Extras
    • Clean some shoes
    • HHI
    • Deal with a hotspot

Tuesday - Living room, Hall and downstairs Loo
    Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be a hot one today.
    Hoover/wipe the sofas
    S&S the sink and toilet
    Level Two
    Dust the electricals, front, back, sides and underneath
    Hoover the floor
    Wipe the windowledge
    Level Three
    HH tidying, decluttering, sorting
    Wipe some paintwork, skirting boards, behind the toilet/sink
    Extras
    • Order pet supplies or make vet appointments
    • Clean out pets/pet bedding
    • Check you know when sports day/end of term is
    • No pets or kids?read a book or do some craft

Wednesday - Master Bedroom and Landing
    Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be another hot one today.
    Change the bed, hoover the matress, turn it if you can
    Level Two
    Hoover the stairs, landing and bedroom
    Wipe the window ledges
    Level Three
    Dust any dusty bits
    Deal with hotspots/floorobes
    Wipe the bedstead
    Extras
    • Arrange for boiler service or chimney sweep
    • Recycle any paper/magazines lying around
    • Do something you want to do rather than feel you should

Thursday - Bathrooms
    Level One

Drink plenty of fluids...it's going to be another hot one today.
    Clean toilets and sinks
    Level Two
    Change the towels
    Hoover and wipe the floor
    Wipe the splashbacks
    Level Three
    Clean out the plug holes
    Shine the mirrors
    Clean the bath and shower
    Extras
    • HHPaperwork
    • Declultter a drawer
    • Me Me Me time

Friday - Children's Bedrooms or spare rooms/rooms of Doom
    Level One

Strip, wash and replace bedding
    Level Two
    Hoover floor
    HH tidying or decluttering
    Level Three
    Wipe the skirting boards
    Wash an item of soft furnishings
    Clear then dust a flat surface (or 2)
    Extras
    • Find a new recipe to use
    • Sort out your receipts/purse
    • Check dates on passports/MoTs/insurance etc
    Last edited by Natty68; 18-07-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 1
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 14th Jul 19, 10:33 PM
    • 2,735 Posts
    • 39,398 Thanks
    ionafan
    • 14th Jul 19, 10:33 PM
    • 14th Jul 19, 10:33 PM
    Thanks Natty. I always have the best intentions of continuing flying through the week, but never quite make it. Maybe this week.... My hotspot is my desk!
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 14th Jul 19, 10:47 PM
    • 37,042 Posts
    • 476,384 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 14th Jul 19, 10:47 PM
    • 14th Jul 19, 10:47 PM
    ty.. I'm lurkying!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    09/07/2019 £49955.43 (2.41% int.)
    • nicki
    • By nicki 14th Jul 19, 11:00 PM
    • 7,293 Posts
    • 88,405 Thanks
    nicki
    • 14th Jul 19, 11:00 PM
    • 14th Jul 19, 11:00 PM
    Thanks Natty, I'm in this week!

DS is off to London for the week with his boyfriend so I'm hoping to be much more productive as he's meeting him at 8am in town Monday morning so I'll be "child free" until about 8pm Saturday night I'll miss him but it's going to be nice for him not to be here under my feet or hogging the TV/sofa or complaining whenever I ask him to do a job

My plan for the week as a whole is to get my work account 100% up to date, then do my tax return and tax credits renewal, and YAY for the complicated "technically still at school until the 30th August but will be going to uni so hasn't got a job" bit on the renewal. So far the council have sent me 5 council tax bills these past 2 months alone and my bill has gone from £7 a month to £80, then down, and up then down again I'm just going to pay whatever the latest bill says the amount should be.

Also this week I need to go and have a blood test done, then pick up the first packet of antibiotics of a 3 month long course Not looking forward to that, but if it finally gets rid of this infection it'll be worth it!

Plans have already had to change as DS has a parcel arriving in the morning which I need to stay home for, so Monday is going to be spent on household admin jobs. I have a massive list of things to do still (excluding taxes/work related stuff!) and I'm hoping to be able to get through them all without a teen in the way (either physically or through the amount of noise he creates which means I can't concentrate) and without a hyper anxious dog as he'll probably sleep for most of the week.

Back in the morning with a list.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 15th Jul 19, 3:21 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 2,311 Thanks
    BadCat18
    • 15th Jul 19, 3:21 AM
    • 15th Jul 19, 3:21 AM
    Thanks for the thread... count me in!

I’m up ridiculously early but despite being shattered I couldn’t sleep....

Full day of paid stuff today, also need to collect the cats from the cattery this morning and am going out this evening. Flying time will be limited to a brief session before and after work. Fortunately everything was done on Friday and we’ve been away so haven’t been here to mess it up again!

I also have some house admin to do, will write it on the list for this week. Decorator coming in a couple of weeks to refresh our bathroom and we haven’t chosen a colour for the paint yet so also need to get on and do that!

Sending hugs to those in need. Have a good day all. X
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 15th Jul 19, 4:45 AM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 21,292 Thanks
    FrankieM
    • 15th Jul 19, 4:45 AM
    • 15th Jul 19, 4:45 AM
    Morning

I'm in for another week, and also hoping to get something done before and after work, even if it's just level 1s and dailies
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 15th Jul 19, 6:18 AM
    • 10,833 Posts
    • 129,856 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 15th Jul 19, 6:18 AM
    • 15th Jul 19, 6:18 AM
    Thank you for all the lists x

OH due home some time this afternoon / evening.

So I am putting off doing the washing until tomorrow.

To do
    Hoover downstairs
    Clean kitchen
    Do floors
    Food shop
    Tip run
    Go and see the folk where I volunteer and see how I get on.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 12 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • roundtuit
    • By roundtuit 15th Jul 19, 6:23 AM
    • 942 Posts
    • 12,453 Thanks
    roundtuit
    • 15th Jul 19, 6:23 AM
    • 15th Jul 19, 6:23 AM
    Morning everyone

No problem, Natty - just glad to see you back xx

Also good to hear from jojo xx

dancemum - thank you for your kind thoughts last week xx and Frankie you are not alone xx

I certainly feel better than I did this time last week - even though I have done a lot of 'peopling' over the weekend.

Natty - I had to smile at 'wipe the work surface that you can see' - even I can do that

I'm ready for work - as in showered, dressed, packed up, breakfasted - and the bed is made. I'll put out the rubbish / recycling, feed the birds, fill the birdbath, and replenish Sweetie's seed and water before I set off.

Wishing you all a good day
    Rxx
    • Valli
    • By Valli 15th Jul 19, 6:32 AM
    • 21,237 Posts
    • 240,137 Thanks
    Valli
    • 15th Jul 19, 6:32 AM
    • 15th Jul 19, 6:32 AM
    Well I'm here. I really don't expect to fly much though.
    Last week of school. And it will be mad and sad, my friend and colleague retires. Fingers crossed she'll love her gift!
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 15th Jul 19, 6:37 AM
    • 2,341 Posts
    • 12,910 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I'm in a holiday home for 3 weeks (connected to hubby's work)
    So the only flying I really need to do is to cook a meal each night, keep on top of the washing and hoover under Pickle's dining room chair multiple times a day - there's carpet in the dining room... WHY??????
    Outstanding mortgage: £27,000
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #28: £800.something/ £2860
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 15th Jul 19, 7:51 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 2,311 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Hi again

Wash x 1 just finished, don’t know whether to chance putting it out as it’s very grey here.
    Aired and made bed.
    Quick tidy of living room done.
    Kitchen done... all levels (cheating slightly as most of it was done on Friday!!)
    Clothes sorted from airing cupboard, put away the non iron stuff and left the rest for DH to do this evening.
    Paid stuff now, then collect the cats. After work I will s/s en-suite and then I can go out this evening with a clear conscience!!

Have a lovely day all x
    Last edited by BadCat18; 15-07-2019 at 7:54 AM. Reason: Added
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 15th Jul 19, 1:03 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 24,933 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    I'm back after a lovely week in Yorkshire and happily we had no phone calls from the care home while we were away. Pigpen thanks for thinking of me.

Back to a busy week as I'm off to my mum's in Southbourne on Wednesday, bringing her back on Fri as step bro and sil are coming to dinner on Sun. Which gives me plenty to organise/ clean/ tidy in a rather fragmented week.
    So far I've been to Zumba and Body Balance, checked emails and filled bird feeders so I need to get a wiggle on.
    Finish coffee then HHC anyone?
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 15th Jul 19, 2:40 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 24,933 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Suitcase emptied and all put away/ in wash.
    All varied paperwork lurking in kitchen sorted/ binned/ put in study for dealing with.
    Floor swept.
    Other lurking items on worktops put away.
    Washing up done earlier by Mr N put away.
    Fish out of freezer ready for this eve.
    Now getting stuff together for drum lesson. Bit scary as not only did I miss a week of lesson and practice on hol, but my tutor is away so I have another one I've not met.

Mr N is sitting in MIL's flat waiting for boiler service man due helpfully between 1 and 6pm. They threatened eviction and a £800 fine for 2 supposed missed appts despite Mr N telling them the flat was currently unoccupied and post not checked daily so to contact him. Didn't stop them sending more letters with 2 days notice of wanting entry. . .sigh.

Congrats on job Jo. I'm still waiting to hear if I've got another uni contract, bit concerned it is taking so long since I applied.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Jellyb
    • By Jellyb 15th Jul 19, 4:38 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Jellyb
    Ok, it's time for me to get moving and jump in.
    At work today - so hoping to get some stuff done before bed!
    I keep reminding myself - baby steps!

Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level One

Clean the sink, drainer and taps
    Wipe the work surface you can see
    Level Two
    Hoover and mop the floor
    Sort out and wipe out the fridge
    Level Three
    Clean the WM filters and drawer
    Wash the window
    Wipe over the hob and oven door
    Extras
    • Clean some shoes
    • HHI
    • Deal with a hotspot
    Sealed pot challenge No 562
    Total so far £18.50
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 16th Jul 19, 5:36 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 2,311 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Morning all

WM x 1 swishing, I’m just having breakfast and tea. Will then shower and dress ready to tackle the day! It is going to be a warm one so I will do my jobs before paid stuff if I can. I plan to go for a swim this afternoon after work....

Have a lovely day all, hugs to those in need x
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 16th Jul 19, 8:02 AM
    • 10,833 Posts
    • 129,856 Thanks
    kazwookie
    WM on
    Hoovering downstairs is done
    Need to do upstairs.
    Dr's for wound redressing later on
    Have a good day
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 12 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • BadCat18
    • By BadCat18 16th Jul 19, 12:27 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 2,311 Thanks
    BadCat18
    Morning of paid stuff done.
    Quick vac of downstairs and living room done
    S/s en suite
    Aired and made bed
    WM x1 done and towels loaded ready for washing tomorrow.
    Back to work now, going for a swim when I finish, hopefully around 5pm

Enjoy your afternoon all
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 16th Jul 19, 8:19 PM
    • 25,706 Posts
    • 105,589 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Went into to see new work - they sorted out my work pass, email and everything I need for September - the preparedness is outstanding, compared to what I am used to. It's an office based education job, so I'll still be looking after kids (especially when I complete my first aider training they've booked me in for), they're just different kids - the atmosphere was completely different there, it feels warm and caring.

Himself had an interview today for a theatre - apparently, it's possible in busy periods for him to get 60 hour working weeks.

When I got in from work, he made a cuppa and announced he was off to bed for a bit because he was 'shattered'. From an hour's interview 7 hours previously.

_wall_

I didn't laugh. But if he gets this, somebody's going to have a bit of a shock to the system, not that I'll see much of him at showtimes.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Valli
    • By Valli 17th Jul 19, 1:06 AM
    • 21,237 Posts
    • 240,137 Thanks
    Valli
    Lovely, but busy day which included picking approx 7lbs of black currants, making jam with 3lbs of them, and gardening and lawn mowing. Both my and my neighbours front lawn, which neighbour usually does but they are away. I mist have done 2.5 hours out there!
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 17th Jul 19, 1:25 AM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 21,292 Thanks
    FrankieM
    I'm awake, have been for about 2.5 hours.

It seems once I'm awake I struggle to settle my mind enough to sleep...

WM on and last night's dishes done.

I'll head to bed again once the washing has been hung out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

2,596Users online

Martin's Twitter