Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ViagogoWillPayMe
    • By ViagogoWillPayMe 14th Jul 19, 9:19 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ViagogoWillPayMe
    After winning small claims
    • 14th Jul 19, 9:19 PM
    After winning small claims 14th Jul 19 at 9:19 PM
    Hi,

I won a CCJ (county court judgement) against a company,the case was served on my favour and it has been required to the company to pay me, however they didnīt, so next steep is proceed with the next step at the legal process.

I have a few options:
    Attachment of Earnings- to make sure they have assets
    Charging Order - they wont be able to sell land or property without paying me
    Order to Obtain Information - from an employee
    Third Party Debt Order - will freeze company accounts, but not sure if the company declares an international account....
    Warrant of control - can take up to one year

Any advise which is quicker and may be successful?

Thank you!!!
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 14th Jul 19, 10:33 PM
    • 7,410 Posts
    • 10,045 Thanks
    waamo
    • 14th Jul 19, 10:33 PM
    • 14th Jul 19, 10:33 PM
    None of the above. Either baliffs or HCEO's depending on the value of the claim.
    This space for hire.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 15th Jul 19, 12:24 PM
    • 5,478 Posts
    • 3,924 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 15th Jul 19, 12:24 PM
    • 15th Jul 19, 12:24 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 15th Jul 19, 1:03 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 3,595 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 15th Jul 19, 1:03 PM
    • 15th Jul 19, 1:03 PM
    It depends entirely on the circumstances.

You need to do some research to see if you can identify what assets the company has and where they are held. This will determine the best method of enforcement. Check the company details on Companies House - https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/. Have a look on the company's website.

If you can identify premises that the company is trading from within the UK, usually the best thing is to use HCEOs. HCEOs tend to be quicker than county court bailiffs.

If you have details of a company bank account, a third party debt order works well - but I'm not sure you can get this over non-UK accounts.

If the company does not have any assets, then enforcement could be throwing good money after bad.
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 15th Jul 19, 7:24 PM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 3,077 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 15th Jul 19, 7:24 PM
    • 15th Jul 19, 7:24 PM
    Attachment of Earnings - not available for companies as they don’t have earnings.

Charging Order - only appropriate if they have property that can be charged and even then you have to wait for them to sell it (unless you can also enforce a sale).

Third Party Debt Order - unsure what you mean by international account? But, yes, this will freeze bank accounts in the interim and then instruct the bank to pay money to you. You can also use this on other third parties, such as people who owe the company money.

Warrant of Control - slow.

Debtors Questioning - an officer of the company (not an employee) will attend court and give information on the company’s finances and assets. This will then enable you to work out which enforcement options are available/appropriate. The application is somewhat cumbersome and you have to arrange personal service and provide affidavits. You also have to pay the debtors travel costs if they ask you to.

If you have been awarded more than Ģ600 (including costs) then you could escalate the matter to the High Court for enforcement. This is generally quicker and more cost effective than any of the above if you are fairly confident that the company has assets that would cover the debt. The last time I used one, it costs me Ģ66 upfront (which is added to the debt). If they couldn’t recover the debt there would have been a further charge of Ģ75 (plus VAT). They can also arrange and manage payment plans etc.
    • ViagogoWillPayMe
    • By ViagogoWillPayMe 15th Jul 19, 8:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ViagogoWillPayMe
    • 15th Jul 19, 8:09 PM
    • 15th Jul 19, 8:09 PM
    Thanks everyone went for warrant and lets see, I may proceed with further actions if no inmediate response, the HCEO I canīt use it, yet....but deffo I may be one of the next steps
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 15th Jul 19, 8:20 PM
    • 17,508 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 15th Jul 19, 8:20 PM
    • 15th Jul 19, 8:20 PM
    The clue to the companys name is in the ops username
    • waamo
    • By waamo 15th Jul 19, 9:36 PM
    • 7,410 Posts
    • 10,045 Thanks
    waamo
    • 15th Jul 19, 9:36 PM
    • 15th Jul 19, 9:36 PM
    Thus far that particular company seem to have managed to evade all responsibility. They are touts with a respectable veneer. No better than people who stand outside venues offering dodgy tickets at inflated prices.

I really wish people would stop using them.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,674Posts Today

6,352Users online

Martin's Twitter