Uber

Comments

• steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    With Uber, you agree the charges before getting into the ride - and if you enter your destination it shows you the estimated fare.

After the trip, the app shows you the exact route your taxi took and exactly how the charges are calculated.

Wouldn't you have seen the estimated fare before you took the trip? Was there anything wrong on the route map?

You should also remember that the value of the pound has crashed since 2016, as a result of the Brexit vote, as the UK slides into being a poorer and more isolated country.

This results in goods and services abroad being more expensive than expected. At the end of 2015, the exchange rate was 6 zloty for each £. Now it's about 4.5 zloty for each £.
  • diz79
    diz79 Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sheramber wrote: »
    What do you want advice on?

Is there some kind of governing body I can go to above Uber, In the UK we have a company called reslover that helps with some disputes?
  • diz79
    dj1471 wrote: »
    If the fare estimate at the time of booking was £86 (PLN equivalent) that would include any surge pricing that was in force at the time, so that doesn't explain why the trip cost £300. Much more information needed from the OP.

I guess you've never used Uber. It's entirely possible to dispute charges after the trip if something is incorrect (e.g. tolls sometimes get added in error if you drive near to a toll road) or the driver has tried to scam you in some way (took a longer route, added a cleaning fee for no reason - incredibly common).

What else do you need the breakdown?
  • diz79
    With Uber, you agree the charges before getting into the ride - and if you enter your destination it shows you the estimated fare.

After the trip, the app shows you the exact route your taxi took and exactly how the charges are calculated.

Wouldn't you have seen the estimated fare before you took the trip? Was there anything wrong on the route map?

You should also remember that the value of the pound has crashed since 2016, as a result of the Brexit vote, as the UK slides into being a poorer and more isolated country.

This results in goods and services abroad being more expensive than expected. At the end of 2015, the exchange rate was 6 zloty for each £. Now it's about 4.5 zloty for each £.

Yes it was estimated at £86 it then changed at end, I wish I took a screen shot at the start. The value of the pound will have nothing to do with it in 2016 as I know what the value was when |I was there.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    diz79 wrote: »
    Is there some kind of governing body I can go to above Uber, In the UK we have a company called reslover that helps with some disputes?
    You've provided so little information it's not clear if you actually have a valid complaint. Have you looked at the receipt and the map to try and figure out why the trip was expensive?

The body to complain to would be the private hire licensing authority in whatever Polish city you were in, assuming Uber actually have a license to operate.
  • tasticz
    tasticz Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    what car did they pick you up in? did you mistakenly change to uber luxury?
  • diz79
    dj1471 wrote: »
    You've provided so little information it's not clear if you actually have a valid complaint. Have you looked at the receipt and the map to try and figure out why the trip was expensive?

The body to complain to would be the private hire licensing authority in whatever Polish city you were in, assuming Uber actually have a license to operate.

What else would you like? of course ive looked at map etc, the price is not correct just by looking at all my other trips and the exchange rate #86 to 100 pound would be more correct.
  • diz79
    tasticz wrote: »
    what car did they pick you up in? did you mistakenly change to uber luxury?

I dont know if you've been to Poland, but no car is luxury and I know what I clicked on all cars are petty bog standard and not like we get here most were falling apart.
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just FYI, article where Uber had a pricing error recently:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49031165

I dont think its connected as it appears to be US specific but just mentioning.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • You really do need to give more information. What distance was the trip, how long did it take, where was it to and from, what model of car was it, did they finish and start it at the right times and places etc?

Could it be a PLN / GBP error?

I was out there last week using Uber and I do remember that the higher cost options were available. Similarly I was out in Amsterdam last night and was charged £34 foe what is normally an £8 journey as I booked a van not a car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure