Veggie and Vegan Rant

Comments

• Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    I'm not too fussed for the most part, as your scenarios don't arise for me because I employ common sense (well, more so with the friend meal point).

Though one scenario which I find funny is when an ex-meat eater goes vegetarian/vegan in a sort of "monthly challenge" manner, but lasts beyond the month.... "3 months of being vegan now! [inspiring message]" - yea, well done but I don't give a rat's !!!! Why can't you just do it quietly like others?
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Understanding motivations is key to understanding why they are not double standards.

Most vegetarians and vegans will have made their choice either due to not wanting to contribute to animal abuse through mass agriculture or due to the global environmental consequences associated with the meat and dairy industries. Those who have been vegetarian/vegan for some time may remain so partly due to the health benefits of a well planned vegetable-based diet, but for most that will not have been the original motivation.

Purchasing and consuming animal products contributes to demand for animal products and so conflicts with their strongly held ethics. This applies whether it would be themselves consuming animal products at your event, or purchasing animal products for you to consume at an event they are hosting. Either consuming or purchasing animal products leads to greater demand for animal products and so more animal suffering and greater environmental consequences and hence conflicts with their ethics.

If you hold strong views which contradict their ethics, it may be best to avoid inviting them to social occasions. In a similar way that you consider them to hold double-standards, they may view you as selfishly consuming meat despite the known animal welfare and environmental consequences when it is unnecessary, for no better reason other than convenience and personal taste preference. If you hold particularly strong views about perceived double standards and they hold strong conflicting views, then either a degree of compromise and understanding is required, or it will be best to avoid eating together.

Sausages, burgers, etc, are widely understood convenient terms to use. Terms such as "Spicy Carrot, Beetroot and Coriander discs" or "Chickpea and Onion Tubes" would be confusing. Most people also either cannot or do not wish to cook, and sausages and burgers are well-recognised as forms of food which are easily prepared in a grill, BBQ or frying pan.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 13 July 2019 at 1:16AM
    If someone invites me round and says they will cater to my being vegan then they should. End of. If not I'll bring my own food and if they provide vegan food I'll happily eat that. If my food is all I have, well I always bring plenty.

If I'm the one cooking then yes all they will get is vegan. My friends know this. I had a friend come round mine every week knowing they would get a vegan meal by default. They were never disappointed and indeed enjoyed all the meals made. If my OH is home he offers a non vegan option but I've had friends decline his offer in preference to the vegan option :p.

Burgers, sausages, nuggets etc the terms do not mean the contents, they are a statement of shape. In fact putting animal products into these shapes is a way to dissociate them from their original product. That is why they sell soo well as the person can ignore they are indeed part of an animal.

Don't do the smug thing. Friends know what I'm eating is going to be vegan. They get really happy eating something good even if it's vegan. Friends have been known to give me a vegan snack I've never had or take me to a veggie/vegan restaurant I've never been to saying how amazing it is wanting to share the good food with me and wanting my opinion.

I don't take food from people I don't trust to take my veganism seriously. Just wouldn't happen. To give someone something they wouldn't eat for any reason is disgusting. They could have an allergy that is not an issue due to the way they eat (example I can't have lactose and as a vegan should be a non issue) and you giving them that food could easily end up in disaster all because of your ignorance, arrogance, miss placed hatred etc.

Yes by the way my husband is omnivorous, he even goes out hunting, he's only ever known me as vegan and we've been together for over 13 years :cool:.
    Not long ago he called me after shooting rabbits, skinning them etc and was cooking them while talking to me on the phone. No I'm not happy he does such things but he isn't a hypocrite and so I respect him for this in a way. One of the reasons I don't eat animals or their by products is even the idea of taking a life of another living being is a non starter for me. My husband doesn't just say he could but has done so and will do so. Him hunting is also a more sustainable way of eating animal products than buying meat, although he does do that also (he prefers wild when possible) and usually buys reduced when that is the case to keep the animal product from going to waste as he understands the animals life should be respected and to waste it completely is horrific.

In all your posting here OP you are just showing your true colours as they say.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Speaking as a veggie I would always cater for a guests needs.

How ever as I have a reputation in the culinary arts as Herod had a reputation for childcare my friends prefer to eat out with me! That is why I rarely entertain at home.
    Am happy to buy a meat meal for friends, we just accept we have different tastes. If they wanted to go to somewhere that only sold meat meals I would decline in order not to make them feel uncomfortable.

That's why we have been friends for nearly a quarter of a century, we respect and accept each others values and way of life.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2019 at 9:17AM
    JamoLew wrote: »

You produce,name and display your veggie/vegan food in a manner that is designed to "trick" meat eaters into buying your product.
    Yes, they're trying to trick you. Your tin foil hat will protect you.

I'm pescetarian and buy meat substitutes as for me the "meat" element is just part of the meal. A pasty, for example is a combination of pastry, meat and vegetables. Pie, mashed potato and vegetables with gravy is a nice meal but its not the meat that makes it nice, its the combination of foods. I use quorn in curries and for spaghetti bolognese etc and have meat eating friends who wouldn't eat it because they don't want to eat the meat substitutes in the same way I don't want to eat meat.
    I'll assume you're an omnivore and as such will eat meals which are vegetarian or vegan.
    There are vegetarians and vegans who politisize their diet but they are no less tedious than meat eating bores who think its interesting to make an issue out of eating or not eating meat.
    Double standards? Nope, just people with various chips on their shoulders.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm a lifelong meat eater but I have a daughter who came home from school 3 years ago and announced she was a vegetarian and still is.

What always bemuses me is people talk about 'vegetarian' and 'vegan' foods as though they are something different meat eaters don't usually eat.

Let's take a roast dinner for example. Dependant on what oils and sauces are used

The vegetables are vegan including potatoes

Yorkshire pudding is vegetarian

Stuffing the breadcrumb type is vegetarian

even Bisto original gravy granules are vegetarian.
    Only the actual meat component is something only meat eaters would eat.

You can therefore dish up the same roast dinner you are having minus the meat and the meal is vegetarian.

Some vegetarian/vegans dislike the smell and look of raw meat and would rather not phsyically handle it at all, even from packet to cookery utensil, which is why not all will cater for a meat eater when they've invited people for a meal.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Spend less you have it spot on.
    Last time I had Christmas dinner the only difference between my plate and theirs was theirs had turkey and sausages on theirs as well as the veg.
    I had so much food on my plate I couldn't finish it. And it was delicious.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Spendless wrote: »

What always bemuses me is people talk about 'vegetarian' and 'vegan' foods as though they are something different meat eaters don't usually eat.

Let's take a roast dinner for example. Dependant on what oils and sauces are used

The vegetables are vegan including potatoes

Yorkshire pudding is vegetarian

Stuffing the breadcrumb type is vegetarian

even Bisto original gravy granules are vegetarian.
    Only the actual meat component is something only meat eaters would eat.

You can therefore dish up the same roast dinner you are having minus the meat and the meal is vegetarian.

Some vegetarian/vegans dislike the smell and look of raw meat and would rather not phsyically handle it at all, even from packet to cookery utensil, which is why not all will cater for a meat eater when they've invited people for a meal.

That's exactly how I have eaten since I became vegetarian 61 years ago. When I was a teenager vegetable such as aubergines and courgettes were not seen, not the South Wales Valleys, anyway.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    My son's girlfriend cannot eat any meat- it makes her ill. She is delighted to be given a vegetarian meal but is more than happy to eat only the vegetables served with a meat meal.

She can eat fish so when I cook a meat meal I get fish for her.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    hollydays wrote: »
    After going vegan for a month, which wasn’t too hard, what mostly stuck with me is how nasty , and ignorant , many people are on this subject:rotfl:
    Would you suggest a sausage that doesn’t contain meat would be better if described as a herby breadcrumby chilli cylindrical object for eating

That old chestnut of an argument isn’t even vaguely amusing

People would be much more forgiving of vegans if they didn’t insist on telling everyone with a set of eardrums about it.
    It’s a good choice, not an opportunity to lecture everyone on what they should be eating :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure