Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 11th Jul 19, 9:18 PM
    • 2,792Posts
    • 3,999Thanks
    Kim kim
    0 WOW
    Dollar bills
    • 11th Jul 19, 9:18 PM
    0 WOW
    Dollar bills 11th Jul 19 at 9:18 PM
    Going to a carribean AI in October. Be lovely to have £100 worth of dollar bills for bar/pool tips for drinks served.
    Where can I get that many dollar bills?
    Or even 50.
Page 2
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 12th Jul 19, 5:25 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 3,999 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Do you imagine that I didn't understand that?
    I imagine only someone deficient would assume that I did not.

It's also interesting that you assume that it is an AI resort. Because if it is a resort, it will be located on a particular island... That island will likely have it's own currency.
    The staff of the AI resort will be happy to receive tips in their own currency.

So which one of us didn't understand?

Another possibility is that it is an AI Caribbean cruise. Here, US$ might be more useful, since the crew can be from anywhere.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Itís Punta Cana & the predominant currency is $
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Jul 19, 5:36 PM
    • 5,270 Posts
    • 8,333 Thanks
    Nick_C
    They use dollars there.
    Pretty sure I’d be charged to use my card in a dispenser out there.
    Originally posted by Kim kim
    Then you don't have the right card. Monzo, Revolut, or Monese all useful for drawing foreign currency from ATMs without high loadings.

Although I don't know if you will find USD ATMs in the Dom Rep as its not the official currency.

Hotel reception will usually split bills for you for tips.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 12th Jul 19, 5:42 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 3,999 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Then you don't have the right card. Monzo, Revolut, or Monese all useful for drawing foreign currency from ATMs without high loadings.

Although I don't know if you will find USD ATMs in the Dom Rep as its not the official currency.

Originally posted by Nick_C
    I think (& I could be wrong as Iíve always made a point of avoiding hotel cash machines) that there may be a charge on hotel machines - even if you do have the right type of card - much like we have in some shops here.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 12th Jul 19, 7:21 PM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 2,928 Thanks
    eDicky
    Itís Punta Cana & the predominant currency is $
    The Dominican Republic has its own currency, the peso, and the US dollar is not widely accepted other than in tourist areas. ATMs dispense only pesos. There is nothing to prevent you from using the national currency for all purposes, including tipping, for which of course low denomination notes are freely available.

Accepting prices and purchasing anything in dollars is highly likely to cost you more than using pesos, beginning with the cost of obtaining the cash in the first place. However if you spend most of your time in resort and insist on using dollars you are sure to be able to obtain small notes there.
    Last edited by eDicky; 12-07-2019 at 8:08 PM.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 12th Jul 19, 8:28 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 3,999 Thanks
    Kim kim
    The Dominican Republic has its own currency, the peso, and the US dollar is not widely accepted other than in tourist areas. ATMs dispense only pesos. There is nothing to prevent you from using the national currency for all purposes, including tipping, for which of course low denomination notes are freely available.

Accepting prices and purchasing anything in dollars is highly likely to cost you more than using pesos, beginning with the cost of obtaining the cash in the first place. However if you spend most of your time in resort and insist on using dollars you are sure to be able to obtain small notes there.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Be really nice if people could answer the question posed.,.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 12th Jul 19, 9:35 PM
    • 4,918 Posts
    • 39,725 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Just to point out the Co-Op travel I used is Lincolnshire Co-op rather than the main Manchester based one- 'though I doubt that is a problem. I just went in a couple of days before I needed them to order.

In the past I have had $1 bills from Tesco but I think the last time I went there I was limited to 25 bills- not pre-ordered.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

• EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 12th Jul 19, 10:52 PM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    They did. Take cash out of an ATM at the airport. 50 pesos is equal to US$1.

You are just too fixated on doing what you want to do regardless.
    So best to stop asking, get on your toes and ask the money changers in your area, since you are bent on ignoring any advice that you are given.

Perhaps you just didn't understand what you read;

The Dominican peso is the currency of the Dominican Republic (Spanish: Rep!blica Dominicana). Its symbol is "$", with "RD$ used when distinction from other pesos (or dollars) is required
    So the $ you see is actually Pesos.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 13th Jul 19, 7:05 AM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    They can't avoid surcharges imposed by the ATM's bank, if applicable.

Certainly better than most other cards nevertheless.
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 13-07-2019 at 7:08 AM.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 13th Jul 19, 7:31 AM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 3,999 Thanks
    Kim kim
    They did. Take cash out of an ATM at the airport. 50 pesos is equal to US$1.

You are just too fixated on doing what you want to do regardless.
    So best to stop asking, get on your toes and ask the money changers in your area, since you are bent on ignoring any advice that you are given.

Perhaps you just didn't understand what you read;

So the $ you see is actually Pesos.
    Cash points will not give me a load of 50 peso notes.
    I choose not to use plastic cards abroad.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Jul 19, 8:13 AM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 2,928 Thanks
    eDicky
    I've told you twice where you can get your low denomination notes. Perhaps you are averse to any extra contact with local people.

Be really nice if people didn't insist on remaining ignorant about the country they will visit.
    Be really nice if people didn't insist on remaining ignorant about the best ways to save money on overseas trips, even when asking for advice on a moneysaving forum...
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 13th Jul 19, 10:25 AM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Be really nice if people didn't insist on remaining ignorant about the country they will visit.

To be fair, the Dominican Republic has a mixed reputation as a tourist destination.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Jul 19, 3:10 PM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 7,447 Thanks
    TELLIT01

Originally posted by Nick_C

Monzo and Revolut have recently introduced charges for use of ATMs in some, if not all, locations.
    Assuming the OP lives near a decent size town there are likely to be a couple of exchange 'shops' on the high street. Call in and ask if they can get you $100 in 1 dollar bills. They may not carry they them on a regular basis but can probably get them.
    In the OP's situation I'd rather get them before travelling than have to faff around in resort finding ATMs and then getting somebody to split 10's downs to 1's.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Jul 19, 4:11 PM
    • 5,270 Posts
    • 8,333 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Monzo and Revolut have monthly £200 limits on their free accounts. For most holidays, £200 cash is more than enough. If its not, then use multiple accounts. Add Curve and Monese and you are up to £800 with no Forex fees.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Jul 19, 6:06 PM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 2,928 Thanks
    eDicky
    Choosing to buy foreign cash instead of using fee-free cards is foolish enough, but searching for the shop that will supply multi $1 bills instead of looking for the best rate to order online, when plenty of change will be available locally, well, what more to say...
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 13th Jul 19, 6:43 PM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    They can change them up for you at the resort.
    You can choose to be ignorant of the most suitable method and I can choose to put you on ignore, so that you won't ever again waste my time, under that username.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 13th Jul 19, 8:17 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 3,999 Thanks
    Kim kim
    They can change them up for you at the resort.
    You can choose to be ignorant of the most suitable method and I can choose to put you on ignore, so that you won't ever again waste my time, under that username.
    JHC - itís only $100 for bar tips.
    Convenience.....
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 13th Jul 19, 8:18 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 1,737 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    Who knew currency exchange was such an emotional topic for some people!
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 13th Jul 19, 8:28 PM
    • 2,792 Posts
    • 3,999 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Originally posted by onwards&upwards
    Thing is, I didnít ask how I could use my plastic - I never use it abroad.
    I didnít even ask where I could get the best rate.
    But I got told what my question should have been....
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 14th Jul 19, 1:43 AM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Originally posted by onwards&upwards
    What a drama over nothing. The OP could have simply gone outside and asked their local companies for themselves.

The OP clearly hasn't obtained the US$ yet and will continue to waste more time in trying to obtain them.

I think they are just being pig-headed. So to make sure I don't waste my time with this kind of person, I simply put them on ignore. Nothing emotional about it. I spend some of my time helping a lot of people, so don't want to waste time with people who think they know better.

Aside from this, every sensible person these days should have a card specifically for travel, amongst other things.

What's the OP going to do in the event of an emergency? Refuse to utilise their plastic?
    So when they are forced to use it, they'll be hit with unnecessary charges because they didn't have the foresight to plan ahead.
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 14th Jul 19, 7:18 AM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 2,919 Thanks
    Indout96
    JHC - itís only $100 for bar tips.
    Convenience.....
    We have got them from M&S in store $300 in $1 same day but normally you need to give 24 hours notice.
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,966Posts Today

5,830Users online

Martin's Twitter