Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BizHighflyer
    • By BizHighflyer 9th Jul 19, 9:18 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 81Thanks
    BizHighflyer
    Comping for 9 years... 0 wins!
    • 9th Jul 19, 9:18 AM
    Comping for 9 years... 0 wins! 9th Jul 19 at 9:18 AM
    Firstly, I wanted to say a massive thank you to everybody here who puts in the time to share entry information, competitions, do all of the puzzles to share answers etc. It's quite a community and it's always heartwarming to see.

I thought it was probably about time I said hello; this is my ninth year of doing competitions and sadly, my ninth year of not winning anything!

I have to admit I don't enter everything which I am well aware reduces my chances dramatically, but I do all of the ITV competitions via text, Take a Breaks, holiday entries, Heart/Absolute/Radio X etc, regular magazines like Bella/That's Life, along with the one-off entries for prizes. I'm also doing the daily Hits + Magic radio competitions at the moment...!

It would be a dream to win something. Oddly, despite a terrible drought of almost a decade, I still find the time to enter competitions - it's quite therapeutic? A win would certainly help my family's finances but for now, it's an oddly satisfying way to unwind! Am I alone in this? Ha!

Perhaps eventually I'll strike it lucky? Right?
    I do wonder if I'm doing something wrong sometimes!
    Adam
Page 1
    • mirko
    • By mirko 9th Jul 19, 9:21 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    mirko
    • 9th Jul 19, 9:21 AM
    • 9th Jul 19, 9:21 AM
    Those are all quite popular competitions. The only luck I've ever had is from small twitter comps or facebook ones.

They don't quite have the same level of prize as the ITV ones though!
    As of 13/8/2019
    Mort: - £110,840.38
    Loan: - £3,814.81
    CCds: - £3,284.73

Grand Total: £117,939.92
    • BizHighflyer
    • By BizHighflyer 9th Jul 19, 9:24 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    BizHighflyer
    • 9th Jul 19, 9:24 AM
    • 9th Jul 19, 9:24 AM
    Those are all quite popular competitions. The only luck I've ever had is from small twitter comps or facebook ones.

They don't quite have the same level of prize as the ITV ones though!
    Originally posted by mirko
    It's probably more of a time-thing for me, rather than the "greed" of wanting a big win. Perhaps I need to invest some more time here

Do you find these competitions via this board, or scout them yourself?
    Adam
    • Bobble5366
    • By Bobble5366 9th Jul 19, 11:17 AM
    • 595 Posts
    • 3,930 Thanks
    Bobble5366
    • 9th Jul 19, 11:17 AM
    • 9th Jul 19, 11:17 AM
    It's all a game of odds, your big win could very well come at any moment ! Good luck.
    • cagsd
    • By cagsd 9th Jul 19, 12:31 PM
    • 6,410 Posts
    • 174,559 Thanks
    cagsd
    • 9th Jul 19, 12:31 PM
    • 9th Jul 19, 12:31 PM
    I know you know this already, and I don't mean to be blunt, but if the comps you mentioned are the only ones you're entering, you could be in for a very long wait for a win.
    Each of them receives thousands of entries, some in the hundreds of thousands, so your chances of being a winner is pretty slim. I've been doing all the magazine puzzles for about 7 years now and only won with any of them once; I've never won with Heart, Capital etc.
    Yes, people do win the big cash prizes, but you only have to look at I Won! board to see that the vast majority of people's prizes are things like tickets, pet supplies, toys, gin etc etc.
    I'm not saying you should be entering for anything and everything - I certainly don't enter for anything I'm not sure I could want or use - but cast your net a little wider and enter for (eg) DVDs you'd like, makeup or toiletries if appropriate, food and drink prizes, local tickets, etc etc. You may find you get a few little wins.... although then again, you may not. My supply of small prizes seems to have completely dried up.
    However it does seem like you have the right attitude - it's just a bit of fun, and if you win anything it's a bonus. Keep that up and hopefully something will come your way before too long!

• mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 9th Jul 19, 2:03 PM
    • 40,855 Posts
    • 318,016 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 9th Jul 19, 2:03 PM
    • 9th Jul 19, 2:03 PM
    ITV competitions represent poor value for the "stake" vs returns/odds and that is just for the value of a 2nd class stamp, for a text entry it is absurdly poor value as they could easily be getting 1,500,000 or more entries a week.

From earlier this year

In their accounts from a few years ago they were quoting an actual number of 40,000,000 PAID competition entries a year, since then I haven't noticed them quote a number anymore but all the accounts since then have included something like this which is from the accounts just published

Elsewhere in Direct to Consumer our
    competitions have performed well across
    the schedule with continued growth, and
    development of the competition portal
    Internet goodness £26881
    • xoxlauraxox
    • By xoxlauraxox 9th Jul 19, 2:38 PM
    • 3,700 Posts
    • 29,957 Thanks
    xoxlauraxox
    • 9th Jul 19, 2:38 PM
    I hope you get a lovely win soon. Gotta be in it to win it.
    Thanks to everyone that posts
    • BizHighflyer
    • By BizHighflyer 9th Jul 19, 2:38 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    BizHighflyer
    I know you know this already, and I don't mean to be blunt, but if the comps you mentioned are the only ones you're entering, you could be in for a very long wait for a win.
    Each of them receives thousands of entries, some in the hundreds of thousands, so your chances of being a winner is pretty slim. I've been doing all the magazine puzzles for about 7 years now and only won with any of them once; I've never won with Heart, Capital etc.
    Yes, people do win the big cash prizes, but you only have to look at I Won! board to see that the vast majority of people's prizes are things like tickets, pet supplies, toys, gin etc etc.
    I'm not saying you should be entering for anything and everything - I certainly don't enter for anything I'm not sure I could want or use - but cast your net a little wider and enter for (eg) DVDs you'd like, makeup or toiletries if appropriate, food and drink prizes, local tickets, etc etc. You may find you get a few little wins.... although then again, you may not. My supply of small prizes seems to have completely dried up.
    However it does seem like you have the right attitude - it's just a bit of fun, and if you win anything it's a bonus. Keep that up and hopefully something will come your way before too long!
    Originally posted by cagsd
    Thanks for your thoughts, I think that's fair.
    I probably wasn't clear in that I do enter for smaller items, but they're more one-off things I guess. I could certainly enter for more things, however.
    Adam
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 9th Jul 19, 6:07 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 25,260 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    • 9th Jul 19, 6:07 PM
    • 9th Jul 19, 6:07 PM
    try using the search facility to find smaller comps for things you enjoy - books? gardening? cinema? photography? etc ... Also any particular brands you know you'd like to win from ...
    • Joolski
    • By Joolski 9th Jul 19, 10:24 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Joolski
    Keep the faith Adam, at any time your name could be picked as the winner. Keep trying, and hope you get a good win soon!
    • fsmmct
    • By fsmmct 12th Jul 19, 1:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    fsmmct
    search facility
    try using the search facility to find smaller comps for things you enjoy - books? gardening? cinema? photography? etc ... Also any particular brands you know you'd like to win from ...
    Originally posted by WeAreGhosts
    Hi
    I'm a newbie to this competition thing and not brilliant on finding my way around forums so please excuse my ignorance
    what do you mean by the search facility.... is this to search for specific competitions and is that facility here on MSE
    thanks
    F
    • WeAreGhosts
    • By WeAreGhosts 12th Jul 19, 7:27 PM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 25,260 Thanks
    WeAreGhosts
    Hi
    I'm a newbie to this competition thing and not brilliant on finding my way around forums so please excuse my ignorance
    what do you mean by the search facility.... is this to search for specific competitions and is that facility here on MSE
    thanks
    F
    Originally posted by fsmmct
    Just above where you find the bulk of the competitions on here, to the right on the dark green bar there's a 'search this forum' option. Clicking that will drop down a box to do a general search (also an option for advanced search). Searching here will only show up the threads/posts from the competition area of MSE.
    • BizHighflyer
    • By BizHighflyer 13th Jul 19, 7:26 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    BizHighflyer
    Scratch this thread.
    Today I won £500! :-)
    Adam
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 13th Jul 19, 7:39 PM
    • 2,331 Posts
    • 63,185 Thanks
    hdh74
    Scratch this thread.
    Today I won £500! :-)
    Originally posted by BizHighflyer
    Well that was worth waiting for! Well done.
    • cagsd
    • By cagsd 14th Jul 19, 3:57 PM
    • 6,410 Posts
    • 174,559 Thanks
    cagsd
    Congratulations!

• sleepyjones
    • By sleepyjones 15th Jul 19, 5:06 AM
    • 4,660 Posts
    • 346,735 Thanks
    sleepyjones
    Comping for 80 years and I haven't won anything ... at all!! ... and certainly no radio comps for £10k+!

**Seemed to work for BizHighflyer, so Im'a give it a go **

Probably just jinxed myself for the next 80 years now for telling porkies to the comping fairies.
    *Good Luck * Be Lucky * Stay Lucky*
    • sueson
    • By sueson 15th Jul 19, 8:54 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    sueson
    Good luck, I’m sure you’re going to win a prize one day. Don’t give up. I’ve only won a small prize in 10 years a food hamper , I was overwhelmed.
    • iqzy
    • By iqzy 31st Jul 19, 10:50 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    iqzy
    Been comping for 10 years and still no win! A cash prize would do nicely then all my stresses will go away
    • thingamaBob
    • By thingamaBob 31st Jul 19, 1:59 PM
    • 17,569 Posts
    • 1,014,782 Thanks
    thingamaBob
    Good luck, Iím sure youíre going to win a prize one day. Donít give up. Iíve only won a small prize in 10 years a food hamper , I was overwhelmed.
    Originally posted by sueson
    Did you not see post #13 on this thread?
    Bob
    The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Omar Khayyam
    • pootler
    • By pootler 7th Aug 19, 5:46 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 2,983 Thanks
    pootler
    I've been doing this on and off for about 7 years now, and I have weeks where I win prize after prize, and months when I win nothing, even when I'm putting the same amount of effort in. So I do it for fun - I enjoy the daydreaming. The prizes are really a bonus!

I rarely bother with the big popular comps, except the Bauer multi-thousand pound ones. And there are others that I don't bother with because they always get thousands, sometimes tens of thousands of entries. Dave Lackie for instance.

I've had a few wins from entering comps posted on magazine websites like Delia - the ones that probably have less mass market appeal. Although I have won a couple via national newspapers too. I had the most wins when I was unemployed - I made comping my work, and I actually won the equivalent of a part time wage almost, one year, because I won a £1800 prize from one comp, and a few other big ticket items.

I tend not to bother with rafflecopter, because they are often ridiculous, demanding you go through so many steps to have even a slim chance. Never win with those. Never won anything from Gleam either, though this is easier, so I only bother with those when I've got loads of time on my hands and the prize is something I really want.

I probably get the most wins from entering competitions from companies local to me rather than national ones, usually via online forms, but also on Twitter and Facebook. However, I've NEVER won anything from things like bloggers, hairdressers, chemists, wax melt sellers and the like. I'm not sure what's going on there, but I have suspicion...

I think it really helps to enter smaller comps, enter lots of comps, and enter only the things you actually want to win. Stick to companies that are likely to be very honest about their process too - larger, more well known companies will have to be scrupulously fair when awarding prizes, when the hairdresser on a small town high street will not. ;-)

It's a numbers game, really. The more you enter, and the fewer other people entering the same thing, the more chance you have of winning. It really is that simple. Apply some tactics, plug away, and you will win! :-)
    Last edited by pootler; 08-08-2019 at 6:18 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3Posts Today

3,782Users online

Martin's Twitter