Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ford123
    • By Ford123 6th Jul 19, 10:05 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ford123
    Change of heart on keeping maiden name
    • 6th Jul 19, 10:05 PM
    Change of heart on keeping maiden name 6th Jul 19 at 10:05 PM
    I got married 6 years ago and decided to keep my maiden name, but now that we've had a baby I'm having a change of heart about it but don't know if it's too late to take my husband's name.

I've updated myself to Mrs 'Maiden name' on my mortgage, as well most areas of life showing my marriage certificate where necessary.

Does anyone happen to know if I can still change my name? I need to register the baby soon but don't have any ID in my married name, or know if I'd be allowed to change it at this point anyway (& even if I need ID in my married name to register the birth). Any advice would be appreciated

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 18-07-2019 at 9:04 AM.
Page 2
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 20th Jul 19, 5:07 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    Archergirl
    Just remember to match holiday tickets to passport name lol........
    • Mrs Soup
    • By Mrs Soup 23rd Jul 19, 4:36 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Mrs Soup
    Yes I'm married to the father of the baby.

My concern was that I wouldn't be able to take my married name as I've already declared my marriage and stated that I'm keeping my maiden name. Hopefully all should be okay then and I'll be able to change it without any issues Thanks
    Originally posted by Ford123
    Declared and stated it to whom? There is no official register of names and changes and marriages. If you want to avoid complications with registering the baby you could change your name on your medical records using your marriage certificate so baby will be labelled and notified as “baby married Name” instead of “baby maiden name”.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 24th Jul 19, 7:23 AM
    • 1,519 Posts
    • 2,015 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    Declared and stated it to whom? There is no official register of names and changes and marriages. If you want to avoid complications with registering the baby you could change your name on your medical records using your marriage certificate so baby will be labelled and notified as “baby married Name” instead of “baby maiden name”.
    Originally posted by Mrs Soup
    Lots of babies come out of hospital as "baby maiden name" and then change at registration.

I pondered on the implications to the kids of me appearing not to be married to their father on the birth cert - but the registrar pointed out that I wouldn't have been able to register the birth without him there / his permission if we hadn't been married so it was clear that we were (to them anyway)

As it is a great many of their friends have similar circumstances - married parents / different names..

Quite handy having 2 names sometimes - mine is fairly common and OH's is pretty rare - much more difficult to keep low profile
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,893Posts Today

8,839Users online

Martin's Twitter