Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 4th Jul 19, 3:13 PM
    • 1,093Posts
    • 6,031Thanks
    Brambling
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 3
    • 4th Jul 19, 3:13 PM
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 3 4th Jul 19 at 3:13 PM
    Hi All

You're have to bear with me guys as this is my first thread

Thank you Cranky for running the previous 2019 challenges,

As we've decided that we'd like a new thread for each part of our 2019 challenge I've started a new one for the 3rd quarter. I haven't posted the links to previous challenges either - we're all capable of looking them up by title if we want them.

Please feel free to start posting your weight loss goals for the next challenge which will run from the 1st of July until the 30th of September (13 weeks).

You do not have to submit a loss or gain for the first week as it's our starting week, you can post your first loss or gain the week after on a day of your choice.

As usual everyone is welcome - we support and encourage, we don't judge

There are some useful links to help your weight loss journey found on the previous challenge, sorry no time currently to work out how to do them myself

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5984457&page=25 :-
Page 2
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 6th Jul 19, 4:14 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 9,503 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Evening Everyone,

A quick post before I go off to work. I managed without a meal last night when I got back, just had a (large!) piece of Brie. However, I did feel the need to eat breakfast after my swim this morning.

DGD has been all day so we've been busy playing.

Breakfast: Poached eggs on toast
    Lunch: Smoked salmon, cream cheese, pepperoni slices, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber. Greek yoghurt with plum compote.
    Dinner: Yellowfin sole with peas, peppers and cauliflower cheese.
    Treat: Frappe when we met my Mother and DiL for coffee.

Have a good evening everyone

Rose
    Weight Loss Challenge 5/7/19 10st 6lbs
    Target 8st 12lbs

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412 June 15,690
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 6th Jul 19, 7:24 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 6,031 Thanks
    Brambling
    Evening all

The builders have been in all day next door and extremely noisy, i gave up 1ish and decamped to my sister where the peace and quiet helped to soften my headache a walk into town late afternoon did me good as well. Unfortunately they are still working

Food wise I'm not sure has been that good

No breakfast but an early lunch of 2 slices of toast and marmalade. Dinner was crispy smoked tofu with coconut and peanut sauce, rice and quinoa with stir fried vegetables. Im trying not to think on how many calories in the low fat Coconut milk, peanut butter and oil but it was very tasty and I've LO sauce and rice so I can see me crisping up the second half pack of tofu Monday
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 7th Jul 19, 9:19 AM
    • 794 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    Not a terrific start yesterday. I had..

Scrambled eggs and an apple

Bacon butty, Chick pea ice-cream in a wholewheat cornet

Jersey potatoes on their own with butter.

I did manage to do a couple of hours of gentle walking.
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 7th Jul 19, 6:04 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 9,503 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Evening All,

A quick post as DH and I are off to the cinema to see Yesterday, shortly.

I've been busy all day. I had to go in to work for five hours today as it was so busy. Got there at nine and home for half two. I then was busy cooking ready for DS and family coming for Sunday dinner. As usual, DGD stayed to play for an hour afterwards before I walked her home so I've not had any sitting down time yet.

Lunch: Piece of Brie and a few slices of Pepperoni
    Dinner: Pork chop and peas.
    Treat: I will have a Solero at the cinema. I have given up chocolate till DD's wedding so can't have my usual Magnum

I'm up to 13,000 steps so by the time we've walked up to the cinema and home again I should just have reached my target.

Rose
    Target 8st 12lbs

Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412 June 15,690
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 7th Jul 19, 7:12 PM
    • 1,923 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Nothing for me this week, but I haven't gained, so that's a good start
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 7th Jul 19, 7:49 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 6,031 Thanks
    Brambling
    Chick pea ice-cream in a wholewheat cornet
    Originally posted by honeythewitch
    Chickpea ice cream !! Not something I've ever heard of

Rose can you let me know what you think of the film, I was trying to persuade my sister to come and watch it with me

MovingForward I fear I will also STS, I weigh in on Wednesday so maybe time to claw back I'm not necessary being very bad but I'm just not being that good either. Some really tasty meals but using things like coconut milk and peanut butter

I had lunch with my sister, we drove out to a cafe which does a fantastic cheese on toast using local cheddar, we shared a portion so a slice each and then had cake.

Dinner was a SW recipe for chicken laksa, with soda noodles, pak choi and baby sweetcorn. Low fat coconut milk again, although only 100ml for two portions. But it was very tasty . LOs for tomorrow lunch and dinner will be LOs from Saturday, the joys of cooking for one. I've also made a rhubarb and strawberry crumble slice which I will have to squeeze into the freezer or offload some to my sister or I'll be gaining this week, I had the urge to bake unfortunately there's tea loaf in the freezer from my last urge
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 7th Jul 19, 8:49 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 9,503 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Brambling.

We both really enjoyed the film. Everyone else seemed to be enjoying it too. Nice and gentle, with a love story and also humour.
    Target 8st 12lbs

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 7th Jul 19, 9:14 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 6,031 Thanks
    Brambling
    Brambling.

We both really enjoyed the film. Everyone else seemed to be enjoying it too. Nice and gentle, with a love story and also humour.
    Originally posted by Rose Wood
    Thanks RoseWood I'll check our cinema for times
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 8th Jul 19, 6:57 AM
    • 535 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    s_glover
    Morning,

Hope you all had a great weekend.
    We headed out to Parkrun first thing saturday, had a good run despite i tbeing warm, still WAY off my best though!

We spent the rest of the weekend working on the garden again. It's getting there but still more to do!!

Finally managed to get my backside into gear last week and back on track after a month off the wagon, so I'm really pleased to report 5lb loss
    I know I can't maintain that sort of loss but it's a good start and hopefully I can slowly ebb away the lbs over the coming weeks.
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 8th Jul 19, 10:23 AM
    • 1,718 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Izadora
    I hadn't weighed myself last week and ate appallingly all weekend so I braved the scales this morning (ouch...) and will treat today as day 1 of the challenge.

Well done on the losses and best of luck for the week ahead.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Jul 19, 12:24 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 36,577 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good afternoon all,

After the emotional month that was June..... I have eaten mostly healthily this week and I have a 1.5 lbs loss to record today. I'm not sure what next weigh day will bring as we're off to London for a flying visit this week. We go on Wednesday and come back Thursday but we also have a celebration of life for my friend Thursday evening. I won't be drinking because it's far enough away to have to take the car but there will be food and I will be tired and emotional. Hoping for a STS at the very least for next week.

Take care all of you
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 9th Jul 19, 8:03 AM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 6,031 Thanks
    Brambling
    Old Style Weight Loss Challenge 2019 Third Quarter

01/07/19 - 30/09/19

Imperial (lbs)
    Brambling -/10 STS/
    Cranky -1.5/- /
    DundeeDoll -/10
    Gingerlily -/14
    HoneytheWitch -/14
    Izadora -/7
    Katiepants -/14
    MovingForward -/10 STS/
    Need2bthrifty -/14
    Rosewood -/14
    S_glover 5/12
    Sirens 0.5/14
    Zafiro1984 1/28 /

Weight Loss week 1 ..................
    Last edited by Brambling; 11-07-2019 at 8:24 PM.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Jul 19, 5:13 PM
    • 1,510 Posts
    • 11,539 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Hi everyone,

1lb loss I'm pleasantly surprised but I must step this diet up a bit.

B:- black tea
    L: HM tomato soup with chillies and garlic, (came in at 105 calories) one slice granary bread, apple satsuma
    D: turkey and veg, apple satsuma, one square 95% chocolate, maybe 3 walnuts. no wine.
    Water throughout the day
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 9th Jul 19, 6:47 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 36,577 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I'm pleasantly surprised but I must step this diet up a bit.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    I'll be joining you in that sentiment once we are back from London and my friend's celebration of life is over. From Friday I will try to log my meals too. Something I realised this week....I am actually scared of being hungry because if I can't eat once I am hungry my risk of having a migraine is very high.

I do remember though, when the late great MrC died I didn't eat for weeks unless someone put food in front of me or took me out to eat and there were no migraines. I still don't really understand that or know why for that period of time my usual migraine trigger (missing a meal or late eating) didn't kick in.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 9th Jul 19, 8:06 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 6,031 Thanks
    Brambling
    Cranky Maybe you're body/brain was protecting you knowing you already had more than enough to cope with. Can you get away with eating something low in calories for example a handful of cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas or grapes to tide you over until you can cook or does it have to be carbs or something substantial?

It's my weigh in tomorrow and I'm not hopeful my three main meals have been good but I've been picking especially in the evenings, it's not helped by not sleeping well and some family stuff going around and around in my head. So Zarfiro and Cranky I think I will try to join you in stepping up the diet a bit. I've agreed to go to Dorset and help with the family stuff next weekend (I have to work this Saturday) so hopefully my brain spinning will settle and not get worst . I have stuck to my meal plan this week if you don't count the evening rummages in the kitchen, if you eat enough low calorie snacks they mount up

Izadora you're right to draw a line under the week and start again

S_glover any tips that's a great loss and well done all of you

B - FF Greek yogurt with apple compote and raspberries
    L - smoked salmon, avocado and egg salad, banana
    D - SW chicken laksa with noodles
    S - 2 shortbread biscuits, finger of fudge, grapes
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 9th Jul 19, 8:36 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 9,503 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Evening All

I've had a busy day. I had Pilates and coffee with friends this morning and then DS came for lunch. This afternoon I went for a walk with a friend and a catch up on all her news. This evening was supposed to be quiet but I got called into work as a member of staff had to go home ill. Fortunately, I didn't have to stay all evening so came home at eight.

Lunch: Smoked salmon with cream cheese and avocado, spinach, tomato, cucumber and mayonnaise. Greek yoghurt with lemon juice and sweetener.
    Dinner: Chicken breast with small jacket potato, peppers, mushrooms and peas.
    Treats: Solero. Couple of slices of pepperoni

Rose
    Target 8st 12lbs

• CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 9th Jul 19, 8:42 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 36,577 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Thanks Brambling. Have a hug. I hope you sort out your family stuff and I wish I was going to Dorset although you probably wish that you weren't.

The current problem is that my shifts at work run 11-3, 12-4 or 10:45 - 2:45. All mean I miss lunch (can't eat at work, I'm too busy and don't get a meal break) so I have to eat before I leave home. I need to think of a way round it because having lunch at 11am ready for my 12-4 shift means that I'm hungry when I come home but it's too early for dinner so I pick at rubbish. I can do the 10:45 - 2:45 on a big breakfast just about but then I come home too hungry to last until dinner time. If I have lunch at 3pm then i don't want dinner and I pick on junk.

I need to find a way to be hungry but that doesn't give my body whatever signal it takes to start a migraine. I think I need to do a bit of research/reading/something drastic. I love my job - it's in a cafe and the rest of the staff are lovely. It also allows me to take the house troll to school every morning and pick him up some afternoons which is more than I dared hope for when I thought about going back to work.

If anyone needs putting off food, our cat has had blocked anal glands which is beyond rare in cats. It had to be ours and thank goodness for pet insurance because although the procedure for clearing them is the same as it is in dogs, it would be a brave or foolish vet that tried to replicate it with a conscious cat!

Rose your son is lucky to have you to call on in emergencies.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 9th Jul 19, 9:24 PM
    • 1,093 Posts
    • 6,031 Thanks
    Brambling
    Thanks Cranky I love Dorset it's where I grew up and it's a beautiful county I could just do without the family drama

You're right those aren't great hours to work your food around, do you have time to have something prepared for when you get home as a healthy snack even if it's something like boiled eggs in the fridge or a baked vegetable frittata.

It's good you're enjoying your job how's your arm now?
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 10th Jul 19, 5:37 AM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 36,577 Thanks
    CRANKY40

It's good you're enjoying your job how's your arm now?
    Originally posted by Brambling
    Waiting for my first physio appointment on the 25th of this month. Fingers crossed it will help. My fingers still have pins and needles if my arm is in the wrong position and the head physio that I saw at the beginning of the month to discuss possible treatment reckons it's to do with my neck and it can be helped.
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 10th Jul 19, 10:34 AM
    • 535 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    s_glover
    Morning all (just), still going well on track here. Had a good couple of days (despite a couple of glasses of wine in the pub Monday night). Had a nice lunchtime run yesterday, albeit very slow and am hoping to go for a walk this lunchtime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,609Users online

Martin's Twitter