Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Hazzy5860
    • By Hazzy5860 30th Jun 19, 10:17 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Trading Allowance & Employment
    • #1
    • 30th Jun 19, 10:17 AM
    Trading Allowance & Employment 30th Jun 19 at 10:17 AM
    Hello everyone,

    These are my circumstances;
    I receive a monthly pension taxed at the normal rate (incl my tax free allowance) and I am also employed, part time, paying tax etc at the basic rate.

    I wish to take part in a mystery shopping ventures that will probably earn me around 50 to 75 p/month. My question is, am I able to conduct mystery shopping ventures using the 'Trading Allowance' and if so, as long as I do not earn over 1000 in one tax year, that I do not have to notify HMRC?

    I've read many articles on the subject but none seem very clear. Hopefully someone here will be able to shed some light. TIA.
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 30th Jun 19, 10:36 AM
    • 8,403 Posts
    • 8,265 Thanks
    • #2
    • 30th Jun 19, 10:36 AM
    • #2
    • 30th Jun 19, 10:36 AM
    mystery shopping would class as self employed therefore yes you can claim the trading allowance

    don't assume you do not need to keep records however just because you won't be taxed on it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,127Posts Today

8,718Users online

Martin's Twitter