Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lpgm
    • By lpgm 21st Jun 19, 7:59 AM
    • 321Posts
    • 193Thanks
    lpgm
    MSMoneyQuotes has stopped working for me
    • 21st Jun 19, 7:59 AM
    MSMoneyQuotes has stopped working for me 21st Jun 19 at 7:59 AM
    My https://gaiersoftware.com/Money has stopped working this morning. It was okay yesterday. I get the message: "Failed to update quotes. Failed to fetch quotes from MSN Money."

But MSN Money appears to be working at the moment.

I haven't been able to fetch prices for funds with bid/offer prices for quite a while, but I think that's a different problem.
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 21st Jun 19, 4:21 PM
    • 11,143 Posts
    • 11,527 Thanks
    Linton
    • 21st Jun 19, 4:21 PM
    • 21st Jun 19, 4:21 PM
    Same for me. Either itís a temporary glitch and all will be well shortly or MS have stopped the service in which case we have problems. The facility to read an exported ft.com portfolio works fine so I may have to go back to that.
    • lpgm
    • By lpgm 22nd Jun 19, 10:37 AM
    • 321 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    lpgm
    • 22nd Jun 19, 10:37 AM
    • 22nd Jun 19, 10:37 AM
    So it seems it was a temporary glitch. It's working again.
    • Shedman
    • By Shedman 22nd Jun 19, 10:25 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    Shedman
    • 22nd Jun 19, 10:25 PM
    • 22nd Jun 19, 10:25 PM
    Yes I found it was working again today. Realised how lost I would be without it when it didn't work yesterday.....sad isn't it.
    • cd27idw
    • By cd27idw 27th Jun 19, 11:35 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    cd27idw
    • 27th Jun 19, 11:35 PM
    • 27th Jun 19, 11:35 PM
    ok, this has now stopped working again. It's starting to look ominous...
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 28th Jun 19, 9:23 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 825 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    • 28th Jun 19, 9:23 AM
    • 28th Jun 19, 9:23 AM
    Has anyone contacted the chap who wrote it? I emailed him about something slightly related when the product was first mentioned, and he responded quite quickly.
    • westv
    • By westv 28th Jun 19, 12:16 PM
    • 4,851 Posts
    • 2,433 Thanks
    westv
    • 28th Jun 19, 12:16 PM
    • 28th Jun 19, 12:16 PM
    MS Money? Has there been anything to better it since MS pulled out of the product?
    • buffman
    • By buffman 28th Jun 19, 3:34 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    buffman
    • 28th Jun 19, 3:34 PM
    • 28th Jun 19, 3:34 PM
    MS Money? Has there been anything to better it since MS pulled out of the product?
    Originally posted by westv
    I still use Quicken 2004. For me nothing has come even close to bettering it. Am I alone?
    • Chickereeeee
    • By Chickereeeee 28th Jun 19, 5:09 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    Chickereeeee
    • 28th Jun 19, 5:09 PM
    • 28th Jun 19, 5:09 PM
    Check here for the latest news:

https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2014/05/08/ms-money-quotes/

Apparently, Microsoft have changed the format of the interface to their quote server. They had a problem, and had to change back, but now they have returned to the new server (which is why it stopped working, started working again then stopped again.)

Dan (the author of the the 'Offline Patch) is looking into reverse engineering the changes to get it working again.

FYI, I use the same software, but use the alternative source for Quotes - the FT! You have to set up the stocks/funds that you want to download in an FT Portfolio, then download them as a .csv file, before importing into MS Money.

It is quite quick once you have set up FT, and is still working fine.
    • Chickereeeee
    • By Chickereeeee 28th Jun 19, 5:13 PM
    • 472 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    Chickereeeee
    I still use Quicken 2004. For me nothing has come even close to bettering it. Am I alone?
    Originally posted by buffman

I have not found another product that can hold your stocks/funds portfolio, according to account, download prices, provide reports as to gains/income etc, and also into which you can import bank and credit card statements.

I would love to hear of one.....
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 29th Jun 19, 2:43 PM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    Vortigern
    http://gaiersoftware.com/Home/Message

Above links to a message from Dan of Gaiersoft, but it doesn't add much to post #9 by Chickereeeee
    • cd27idw
    • By cd27idw 29th Jun 19, 6:16 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    cd27idw
    In the meantime, I've been motivated to get the csv file input method working; at this moment in time it's long-winded, but I can see a way ahead using VBA (I've already got a routine to download share prices to excel from Yahoo)
    • bearshare
    • By bearshare 30th Jun 19, 10:56 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    bearshare
    In the meantime, I've been motivated to get the csv file input method working; at this moment in time it's long-winded, but I can see a way ahead using VBA (I've already got a routine to download share prices to excel from Yahoo)
    Originally posted by cd27idw
    It's quite easy using FT.com if you don't change your holdings a lot. Just add an entry for each of your current holdings (doesn't have to replicate your portfoliio) and click export. Download into a pre-named .csv file. Then run Dan's program, and Money is updated almost instantly.

(FT.com portfolio gets screwed up sometimes, but it gets sorted after a day or two).
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 30th Jun 19, 11:59 AM
    • 2,776 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    Vortigern
    It's quite easy using FT.com if you don't change your holdings a lot. Just add an entry for each of your current holdings (doesn't have to replicate your portfoliio) and click export. Download into a pre-named .csv file. Then run Dan's program, and Money is updated almost instantly.
    Originally posted by bearshare
    ft.com seems to have revoked my userID/email and password, so I've lost my portfolio and I have to start again

Do I need to set up the full portfolio again, with quantities, dates, costs etc., or can I just use a watchlist?
    • bearshare
    • By bearshare 30th Jun 19, 12:39 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    bearshare
    ft.com seems to have revoked my userID/email and password, so I've lost my portfolio and I have to start again

Do I need to set up the full portfolio again, with quantities, dates, costs etc., or can I just use a watchlist?
    Originally posted by Vortigern
    All you need is an entry for the fund/stock. Dan's program just looks at the date and price for holdings that it can match against what you have in MSMoney. So you can just 'buy' one of each if you want..

I have not tried Watchlists. At first glance, it looks like it would work. I will try and give it a go later today.
    Last edited by bearshare; 30-06-2019 at 1:47 PM.
    • bearshare
    • By bearshare 30th Jun 19, 6:14 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    bearshare
    Just tried using Watchlist for an IT and a fund, and it worked fine. That makes it a lot quicker to set up.

(I have actually replicated my portfolio on FT.com for other reasons)
    • cd27idw
    • By cd27idw 2nd Jul 19, 8:12 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    cd27idw
    Version 2.4 released now, but share prices appear to be coming through in pence; my portfolio was up £110000 today!

I've got my csv method working quite effortlessly now, but it means running a few spreadsheets. Still, it's better than doing the housekeeping!
    • Linton
    • By Linton 2nd Jul 19, 10:50 AM
    • 11,143 Posts
    • 11,527 Thanks
    Linton
    Version 2.4 released now, but share prices appear to be coming through in pence; my portfolio was up £110000 today!

I've got my csv method working quite effortlessly now, but it means running a few spreadsheets. Still, it's better than doing the housekeeping!
    Originally posted by cd27idw

The share price currency for MSN downloads can be fixed using the SymbolMap fund. This has been necessary for a few stocks for some time.

The one problem Dan hadnt resolved is that in the SymbolMap file you need to know the MS code for your funds. This was previously obvious by looking at the fund URL on the MSN website. However it is now hidden. But, as I have mailed Dan, it can still be found:

1) Use the MSN Quote search facility to find your fund.
    2) Go back to the Quotes search and click the empty box. A list of Recent Searches will come up
    3) Hover the mouse over your chosen fund and the browser will show a URL with the code of the form Fxxxxxxxxx

V2.4 is now working perfectly for me.
    • lpgm
    • By lpgm 2nd Jul 19, 1:08 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    lpgm
    I'm away from home at the moment - I'm looking forward to trying the new version.

As an aside, I mentioned in my first post that I was having problems getting prices for unit trusts i.e. funds with a bid price and an offer price. Has anyone else had this problem, or noticed that it's fixed with the new version?
    • Linton
    • By Linton 2nd Jul 19, 1:20 PM
    • 11,143 Posts
    • 11,527 Thanks
    Linton
    I'm away from home at the moment - I'm looking forward to trying the new version.

As an aside, I mentioned in my first post that I was having problems getting prices for unit trusts i.e. funds with a bid price and an offer price. Has anyone else had this problem, or noticed that it's fixed with the new version?
    Originally posted by lpgm

It would seem it has been fixed. Previously the funds concerned were flagged as not found, they all now work.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,813Posts Today

5,754Users online

Martin's Twitter