Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrysalis
    • By Chrysalis 2nd Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    • 2,319Posts
    • 1,105Thanks
    Chrysalis
    think ill be paying down my cards
    • 2nd Jun 19, 10:45 AM
    think ill be paying down my cards 2nd Jun 19 at 10:45 AM
    Moving a balance in a few months, Halifax offered me a joke of a limit, the sort of limit people who need to build up their trustworthiness get.

sainsburies was at least in the 1000s but below the amount requested, the lowest limit I have had since started using 0% cards.

I am guessing my affordability calculations arent coming up great so I assume to improve this I should just pay off a significant amount in cash (or all of it) to improve it again?

Sainsburies limit was 2.5k.

I know the banks are tightening up due to pressure but I am guessing they seen something they didnt like as well.
Page 1
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 2nd Jun 19, 12:20 PM
    • 1,895 Posts
    • 2,204 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 2nd Jun 19, 12:20 PM
    • 2nd Jun 19, 12:20 PM
    What's your annual income?

What's your total credit limit across all your cards?

Any other credit?

That will be your answer.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 2nd Jun 19, 8:19 PM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 1,736 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 2nd Jun 19, 8:19 PM
    • 2nd Jun 19, 8:19 PM
    Knowing very little about the sate of your credit files we can only guess at the problem, but in the absence of any other obvious reason I would think the most likely cause of the low credit limits (at least you got the cards) is the amount of your existing balance(s).
    • danthemoneysavingman
    • By danthemoneysavingman 5th Jun 19, 5:00 PM
    • 1,283 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    danthemoneysavingman
    • 5th Jun 19, 5:00 PM
    • 5th Jun 19, 5:00 PM
    I thought the same for me given the last 2 limits I got on BT cards, which were laughable.

However, as I'd opened a natwest account recently for the promo fee, thought i'd give one last whirl on their 0% 0fee offer, and got offered a massive limit covering both cards coming to an end next month.

I've no mortgage apps I need to do soon (i.e. dont care about another search on the file) so figured why not.
    So could be worth a punt for you, you never know.
    Let me Google that for you...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

2,231Users online

Martin's Twitter