Advice needed: Changing the car

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Another vote for an EV. If you can find a Leaf 30 in your budget it will do your commute no problem and be very cheap to run. Even better if you can get them to install charging at work.
  • gord115
    gord115 Posts: 1,063 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 May 2019 at 4:47PM
    Options
    If I drove that many miles I'd definitely get a EV. The money you save on fuel (£180+ per month)will pay towards a decent PCP.
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was talking to a bloke on Friday evening.He drives a Jag EV (i have no idea on how much they cost or how he affords it) and he mentioned that he spends £30 a month charging it up and it has a 300 mile range.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    "£30/mo" is a bit meaningless without knowing how much he uses it.

I presume it's an iPace? A mate borrowed one for an 800 mile weekend trip recently. Not only did it get nowhere NEAR 300 mile range (about 200), but he worked out the weekend cost 14p/mile in electricity. So, at that price, £30 of juice is 215 miles.
  • egyptiancotton
    egyptiancotton Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 May 2019 at 9:49PM
    Options
    Thank you to all of you for your replies. I didn't expect this many replies and the advice is really useful, so thank you.

The good news is that I've found where the coolant leak is coming from - the expansion tank has a small split. So I've duct taped the crack over with a few layers until I get the tank replaced this week.

I like the sound of an EV. But, I live in a terrace house with no off-road parking at the front, so there's no option to install a charging point at the front of the house. I could probably do it at the back of the house but the charging lead would need to stretch 15-20 metres up the garden to the driveway at the back.

After reading everyone's replies, it looks like PCP/PCH may not be cost effective, and instead look at buying a 3-5-year-old car; a Civic, Focus or Astra-sized diesel for comfort, and run it into the ground.
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,347 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    "£30/mo" is a bit meaningless without knowing how much he uses it.

I presume it's an iPace? A mate borrowed one for an 800 mile weekend trip recently. Not only did it get nowhere NEAR 300 mile range (about 200), but he worked out the weekend cost 14p/mile in electricity. So, at that price, £30 of juice is 215 miles.

Yea the iPace is quite well known for being inefficient.

14p/mile sounds about right if they charged purely on high cost rapid chargers. Put of course it's hardly representative of the average cost over many years with the ability to home charge.

It's typically closer to 5p/mile. Personally I'm at 3.5p/mile over 1,000miles in the last 3months.
  • gord115
    gord115 Posts: 1,063 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After reading everyone's replies, it looks like PCP/PCH may not be cost effective, and instead look at buying a 3-5-year-old car; a Civic, Focus or Astra-sized diesel for comfort, and run it into the ground.[/QUOTE]

If I were driving 100 miles a day the most important thing would be reliability,so it would be the Honda I would be looking at.

Especially if I were keeping it for a long time.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Options
    DrEskimo wrote: »

14p/mile sounds about right if they charged purely on high cost rapid chargers. Put of course it's hardly representative of the average cost over many years with the ability to home charge.

It's typically closer to 5p/mile. Personally I'm at 3.5p/mile over 1,000miles in the last 3months.

Do you also have to pay a monthly battery rental?
  • BananaRepublic
    BananaRepublic Posts: 2,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 May 2019 at 7:28AM
    Options
    My neighbour said he saw a new diesel Polo for £12,000 at a local VW dealer, sounds odd to me as the latest isn’t diesel. I have a newish Polo, a very comfy car. However, check out DriveTheDeal etc. for offers. I recently drove a Citroen C3, horrible design and ergonomics, but quiet and comfy with good mpg.

This was the car he saw:

https://www.whiterose.uk.com/used-cars/9498981-volkswagen-polo-s-1.0-65-ps-5-speed-manual-5-door/

Nearly new, a bargain price, but the engine is sluggish, and yes I’ve driven one, it’s fine as a means of transport but about as much fun as watching paint dry. Nice roomy car, not that I’m biased ... :)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    DrEskimo wrote: »

As I said, that was over an 800 mile three-day trip.

That doesn't leave a lot of time for slow charging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fex5mvVFEU
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport