Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 17th May 19, 7:15 PM
    • 5,528Posts
    • 2,568Thanks
    paulfoel
    0 WOW
    BA Codeshare with AA?
    • 17th May 19, 7:15 PM
    0 WOW
    BA Codeshare with AA? 17th May 19 at 7:15 PM
    OK, if I book a flight on BA website, its coming up as an American Airlines booking, albeit on a BA flight anyway.

Will I then have, in effect, booked with AA? i.e. any customer service issues I need to speak to AA not BA?

Reason is wife has mobility issues and BA are usually very good at sorting out seat assignments. Not so sure if its down to AA.
    Cymru am Byth !!!
Page 1
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 17th May 19, 8:34 PM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 17th May 19, 8:34 PM
    • 17th May 19, 8:34 PM
    OK, if I book a flight on BA website, its coming up as an American Airlines booking, albeit on a BA flight anyway.
    I'm not sure I understand? On the BA website, if it is a BA flight, it will have the British Airways logo. If it's showing the American Airlines logo, then it will be an American Airlines flight (even though it will have a BA**** flight number).

If you book on the British Airways website, then your booking will be with British Airways, and they handle the booking and all customer services. You will be able to choose seat assignments and request special assistant (if necessary) via BA. Although note that seat assignments (and whether they are chargeable etc will be down to American's policy)
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 18th May 19, 7:14 AM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    steve1500
    • 18th May 19, 7:14 AM
    • 18th May 19, 7:14 AM
    If it is an AA plane & you have booked through BA, then any issues will be via BA
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 18th May 19, 8:46 AM
    • 26,394 Posts
    • 69,657 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 18th May 19, 8:46 AM
    • 18th May 19, 8:46 AM
    When we book with BA to Philadelphia the link goes through to AA. we can usually choose our seats immediately.

We've always found them very helpful.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • paulfoel
    • By paulfoel 18th May 19, 10:59 AM
    • 5,528 Posts
    • 2,568 Thanks
    paulfoel
    • 18th May 19, 10:59 AM
    • 18th May 19, 10:59 AM
    Its booked on BA.com, coming up as AA operated buy BA (with a BA flight no)
    Cymru am Byth !!!
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 18th May 19, 4:43 PM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 18th May 19, 4:43 PM
    • 18th May 19, 4:43 PM
    Its booked on BA.com, coming up as AA operated buy BA (with a BA flight no)
    Originally posted by paulfoel
    If it's showing as AA operated (i.e. it shows the American Airlines logo, and lists American under "Airline" in flight details) then it is an American Airlines flight. The BA flight number is just the codeshare.

As posted above, customer service for the booking would be handled by British Airways (including any special assistance requests etc). If you wish to choose seats, it will likely link you to the AA website where you'll be able to choose seats (subjects to American's T&Cs).
    • smitchy73
    • By smitchy73 29th May 19, 7:27 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    smitchy73
    • 29th May 19, 7:27 PM
    • 29th May 19, 7:27 PM
    I've got a trip booked and flights are with BA from LHR to Miami, outbound flight is an AA flight but all rest are BA, it's because they all codeshare and quite often on departure or arrival screens you will see the flight details changing several times. I've used this before to check with the individual airlines for different prices as sometimes, although it's the same plane and trip you can sometimes get the flight cheaper(been a while though!)
    2015/16 - 200 High Street Vouchers/Vodafone Prize pack+Beats Headphones(600)
    Thanks to all the comp posters.
    • tralest
    • By tralest 14th Jul 19, 8:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tralest
    • 14th Jul 19, 8:32 PM
    • 14th Jul 19, 8:32 PM
    I have a code share flight. I've booked with BA from Heathrow to Miami.
    Outbound is a BA flight inbound is an American Airlines flight. I currently only have cabin luggage, the cabin bag size is larger with BA than AA, will I have problems when I return or will they use BA sizes?
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 15th Jul 19, 5:08 AM
    • 12,230 Posts
    • 7,966 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 15th Jul 19, 5:08 AM
    • 15th Jul 19, 5:08 AM
    cabin baggage is always the operating carrier. BA sizes for the outbound and AA sizing for the return
    If your bag is too big for the return your options would be to
    find a bag that fits the cabin baggage size for AA and use it for the trip
    book hold luggage for cabin bag on the way back
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 15th Jul 19, 7:01 AM
    • 5,274 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Things to be aware of if booking an AA flight through the BA website:

You are flying on AA. You go to the AA check in / bag drop desks.

AA often operate from a different terminal to BA

If you are flying from the US to the UK, EU261 does not apply.

You handle seat reservations through the AA website. AA will probably have a different booking reference, but you should be able to get that through the BA website. Unless you have status, AA are more generous with free seat allocation than BA. You can see what seats are available before you choose which flight you want. You can select some seats free of charge at the time of booking.

If I was doing a round trip on AA, I would book on the AA website. You can still get Avios and Tier Points credited to your BA account. The only reason to book AA flights via BA is if you need qualifying flights to earn or keep status in BA Executive Club.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 15th Jul 19, 9:52 AM
    • 7,449 Posts
    • 10,109 Thanks
    waamo
    Just for a bit of reassurance for the op I've flown with both AA and BA. Given the choice I would go with AA every time. I found them to be much more helpful and a far superior service to BA.
    This space for hire.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 15th Jul 19, 4:10 PM
    • 26,394 Posts
    • 69,657 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Just for a bit of reassurance for the op I've flown with both AA and BA. Given the choice I would go with AA every time. I found them to be much more helpful and a far superior service to BA.
    Originally posted by waamo

I agree, for same reasons.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 15th Jul 19, 7:38 PM
    • 19,690 Posts
    • 25,655 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    I agree, for same reasons.
    Originally posted by pollypenny

Although I find the AA stewardesses to more like hatchet faced harridans going through the motions.

• gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 15th Jul 19, 8:39 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 12,003 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Although I find the AA stewardesses to more like hatchet faced harridans going through the motions.
    Originally posted by Murphy_The_Cat
    No that would be Quantas' flight attendants.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 16th Jul 19, 7:08 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    HogMan
    Originally posted by Murphy_The_Cat
    That's one of the reasons we stopped flying AA. The AA flight attendants seemed to resent the paying customer being there.
    Plus AA were very adept at mislaying luggage!
    • tralest
    • By tralest 16th Jul 19, 2:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tralest
    Things to be aware of if booking an AA flight through the BA website:

You are flying on AA. You go to the AA check in / bag drop desks.

AA often operate from a different terminal to BA

If you are flying from the US to the UK, EU261 does not apply.

You handle seat reservations through the AA website. AA will probably have a different booking reference, but you should be able to get that through the BA website. Unless you have status, AA are more generous with free seat allocation than BA. You can see what seats are available before you choose which flight you want. You can select some seats free of charge at the time of booking.

If I was doing a round trip on AA, I would book on the AA website. You can still get Avios and Tier Points credited to your BA account. The only reason to book AA flights via BA is if you need qualifying flights to earn or keep status in BA Executive Club.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Hi Thanks for your reply, what does EU261 mean?

Also the only reason I've ended up with these AA flights is because the scheduled return flights I booked had been cancelled, that was going to be a stop in Nashville, so Netflights moved us to a direct AA return from MIA to LHR. I booked with BA because the have they largest cabin bag allowance and I only have hand luggage booked for the 4 of us that are travelling. I was going to check in 1 large hold bag and that would be sufficient. But now I have 2 problems that the AA cabin bag size is smaller but also my booking won't allow me to pay for a checked return bag?
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 16th Jul 19, 2:11 PM
    • 5,274 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Nick_C
    EU 261 is the law that allows you to claim compensation when a long haul flight is delayed by more than 3 hours. It applies to all flights taking off from the EU, but only applies to flights into the EU if operated by an EU carrier.

If a BA flight from the US to the UK is delayed by 4 hours, you could be entitled to €600 compensation. On an AA, that does not apply.

Re the checked baggage, have to tried going into "manage my booking" on the AA website? You should also do this to select seats as soon as possible. Don't wait for on line check in to open.
    • tralest
    • By tralest 16th Jul 19, 6:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tralest
    I've tried on BA & AA to add return bags but it just says "excess baggage cannot be purchased for this journey" on the inbound flight, I can add it for the outbound. Also when I go onto choose seat it looks like they've transferred the seat numbers I picked on my 1st flight that was cancelled and allocated them to this flight, however it's a different seat layout. If I pick any other seat it shows an additional charge. I thought being changed onto a direct flight would have made life simpler!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 16th Jul 19, 6:51 PM
    • 5,274 Posts
    • 8,336 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Unless your Agent has sold you a Basic Economy ticket, you can check in one bag per passenger free of charge.

If you are on a Basic Economy ticket, you can check a bag for $60. I would imagine you can pay for this at the airport.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/support/optional-service-fees.jsp
    • tralest
    • By tralest 16th Jul 19, 7:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tralest
    I think it is basic economy but didn't think it'd give me seats if it was basic economy, I'll try getting in touch with them and see what they say. It does say on my app that if booked through BA and travelling on a partner they will honour BA baggage sizes, who hopefully that'll mean I have no issue with my cabin bags
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,769Posts Today

8,759Users online

Martin's Twitter