MSE Poll: Should 1p and 2p pieces be ditched?

Options

Comments

• charlotte1994
    charlotte1994 Posts: 854 Forumite
    Options
    I give all my coppers to my mum who has a big jar, once a hear she then takes it to the bank. I never use them in shops. I hate getting them back too
  • troffasky
    troffasky Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ditch the 5p as well as coppers as they are equally pointless. Or maybe redenominate sterling by 10x and then we can keep the 1p and 2p coins but they'll be worth 10x as much :-)

I don't know how much is spent on minting these coins every year but I doubt it's worth it. Unfortunately, as wooried says, it's unlikely they will be eliminated, for political reasons.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    NOWSE wrote: »
    I say ditch the 1p but keep the 2p. That way we could still price things at the amounts that we do now, except for something costing either 1p or 3p, by combining 2ps with 5ps.

Best suggestion so far.
  • yorkie22
    yorkie22 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 May 2019 at 6:02PM
    Options
    If we give up the 1p then anything 99p will be made £1. Somewhere along the line the only people that it will be helping will be those rubbing their hands together.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    wooried wrote: »
    I've been to Oz. Prices are still x.99 in supermarkets, they get added up at the till, then rounded.
    In last week's poll we showed that we'll mostly pay electronically in future, so shops won't even need to round the final bill.
    However, it appears that the Tory support Base (over 65, average member 72) won't like it, so don't hold your breath.
    BTW I'm 70, hate the little things and nearly always pay electronically.
    New Zealand got rid of their 1 cent and 2 cent coins in around 2005 (I think) as well, and they do the same as Oz.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What I've started doing if I get a lot of loose change (especially manky coins) is put them in the self service till at Sainsbury's and pay any balance remaining by card.

Works for me anyway.
  • Tyler4402
    Tyler4402 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The pound is probably the oldest currency in the world and should not be lost, but its more than that, a cashless society sounds good and is easy to work, but many users do not remember when we were conned by decimalisation and all prices went up, and removing cash will do the same and cause more endless inflation, we must not do away with coins which will round prices UP but make others like 25 40 and 75 pence coins which might do away with the .9 of a penny scam at the petrol stations, then the small useless coins will just fade away.
    We now see that ATM'S will be phased out if we do not pay to use them which is a pointer of what is to come from the money grabbing banks as in the future a charge will probably be put on card scan machines, so the point is that once we are a complete cashless society can the banks be trusted???? NO THEY CAN'T "listen" to the experience of the older generation which says no
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    yorkie22 wrote: »
    If we give up the 1p then anything 99p will be made £1. Somewhere along the line the only people that it will be helping will be those rubbing their hands together.

No, as someone pointed out up thread - 2x2p and 1x5p coins make 9p so that shouldn't happen.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    Options
    New Zealand got rid of their 1 cent and 2 cent coins in around 2005 (I think) as well, and they do the same as Oz.

Yet the Eurozone, which has a far larger user base than either us or Aus/NZ, still use the 1 & 2 cent coins.

If you think our 1p coin is fiddly, compare it to the size of the 1c coin which is roughly the size of our old 1/2p coin and the 2c is the size of our 1p. Maybe because that was their worth when introduced.
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    this thread made me look in my jar.

£1.80 in 5p
    20p in 2p
    33p in 1p

coppers are pointless, and i think people are put off by how manky they look! maybe if they were silver in colour theyd get used more, obviously they would probably exceed face value in minting costs!

im 32, and use cash more than most my age, in fact i only use cards online and to ATM cash out. i usually carry couple hundred on me a month. never use contactless, less than half dozen times in total i'd bet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure