We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Comments

• Sorry to hear about the return of your tumour unrecordings. Keep up that positive attitude!! You will beat it!!

Thanks for sharing your own experiences with your ops Zafiro. You have done brilliantly!!

Dad has been to the plot this morning, mainly to have a scavenge on another plot that has been given up but didnt find anything useful.
    I asked him if he had watered my sweet peas and the response?
    "What sweet peas" Tut!! You could hardly miss them in the greenhouse lol but then he doesnt think flowers should be grown on allotments. Tough as its half mine.;) And he had better get used to seeing flowers.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Nice and mild today so spent a couple of hours pottering around and doing a little pruning (more to improve coordination than anything else) - I'm going to hurt tomorrow

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Have just ordered my grafted tomatoes - tried Sutton's 'Tutti Fruiti' varieties last year and they were yum !

Have also ordered my Chilli seeds (Ring of Fire - we like it hot!) with a view to starting them off next month, and will spend a pleasant couple of hours in the next week or so with various seed catalogues for the rest.
  • Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Have just ordered my grafted tomatoes - tried Sutton's 'Tutti Fruiti' varieties last year and they were yum !

Have also ordered my Chilli seeds (Ring of Fire - we like it hot!) with a view to starting them off next month, and will spend a pleasant couple of hours in the next week or so with various seed catalogues for the rest.

Sounds like a good start - I think I should sort mine out today. I have plenty of seeds from previous years. So it's all about getting started.
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OOOOOOh I'm in!

I have a renewed enthusiasm for getting my plot sorted now the issue with the neighbour is sorted and the summer of hell is behind me.
    This is just my time of year for getting up there and getting on with the big jobs.
    I scored a £40 polytunnel from FB selling, all still in its box, so the area for that needs clearing.
    This weeks plan is bonfires. Its cold but dry here so ideal really, and noone will mind it being done during the day.

I need to go through the seed box and be a bit more ruthless with getting rid of some.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • I would love to join too. I recently moved house and now have 0.2 acres to play with, all grass with a few apple trees. Have built four raised beds (each 2m x 1.4m), and have two concrete pads for pots (which used to be where greenhouses were).

Just need to order the soil for the beds and figure out what to grow in each. I've done some small scale growing before but nothing on this scale.

Only thing done so far is the garlic is in the trug and growing nicely.

So excited.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    devildolly wrote: »
    I would love to join too. I recently moved house and now have 0.2 acres to play with, all grass with a few apple trees. Have built four raised beds (each 2m x 1.4m), and have two concrete pads for pots (which used to be where greenhouses were).

Just need to order the soil for the beds and figure out what to grow in each. I've done some small scale growing before but nothing on this scale.

Only thing done so far is the garlic is in the trug and growing nicely.

So excited.

Ooh - a lovely blank canvas ! Enjoy !

Have you thought about putting a new greenhouse onto one of the concrete pads? I don't know how I ever managed without mine.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    I need to go through the seed box and be a bit more ruthless with getting rid of some.

I had a bit of a seed buying binge a few years ago So last year I resolved to have a clear out and just sowed the 'use it or lose it' seeds in a partly overgrown bed at the bottom of the garden - I'm not sure anything came of it though (not that I could recognise)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Moneycat
    Moneycat Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello to everyone,
    I'd like to join too!
    A brief introduction: i'm completely flower obsessed so my main aim is to grow flowers for cutting. I took over a half an allotment plot in February last year and it's still very much working progress. It'd difficult to find the time as I have a full time day job + commuting, but I dream of an early retirement so that I could spend more time on the plot which is my 'happy place'.... maybe 2020???
    Last year we grew some vegetables as well; potatoes (not a good crop), tomatoes did well, few beetroots, onions. Chillies got eaten on the allotment but did well in pots in the garden.
    Flower wise I grew mostly hardy annuals; sweet peas, calendulas, scabiosas, to name a few as well as sweet williams and dahlias. None did absolutely amazingly but equally there were some gems there so I'm still as full of enthusiasm as I was last year!
    I have ordered more dahlias as well as some peonies and other perennials to go in.
    So far the plot is not saving me any money at all - in fact it's costing me loads.... but it's my quilty pleasure so to speak.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I can't find my seed box with all leftover seeds from last year. I have a suspicion that my DD has thrown them away as they were in the greenhouse which she offered to tidy for me. I think it is 'deep breath' and don't upset her. It's a good excuse to go through all the 2019 seed catalogues and paring back to just what I need but I'm not looking forward to spending the money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure