Taking back the control

Comments

• Hello diary,
    Well after reading through a few more diaries I’ve decided to formulate a 5 year plan. I need to have a long term objective and something to aim for, I think if I set myself a goal and then break that down into more manageable chunks it will help me keep focused. More later on the details. I had a bit of a wobble in the middle of the night and thought I really need to get my roots done, was definitely going to book my appointment this morning but after washing my hair, taking a bit more time styling it then spraying the roots with root spray it looks ok! I really can’t spend £75 every month on my hair it’s going to have to wait until next payday! Sold 2 items on eBay, not brought in much £15 after fees and posting but it’s better than nothing, I’m just about to walk to the post office instead of taking the car, it’s only a 10 min walk each way and parking is always a nightmare anyway and I could do with a bit of additional exercise. Another focus area for me needs to be alcohol, I share a bottle of wine Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings with hubby and this has cost over £20 so it needs to stop, I’m also a dress size bigger than I want to be so need to reduce my calories ASAP.
    Goals for today
    Walk to post office
    Deep clean bathroom- still not done
    Go to gym and run 10k on treadmill
    Make chilli con carne for tea from stores
    No alcohol
    Work on 5 year plan!
    Aiming to be mortgage free in 3 years June 2023. 
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
  • Morning diary! So all tasks for yesterday complete! Been tweeting my 5 year plan, we need to spend some cash next year on some home improvements so to make it realistic it will probably be a 6 year plan! Will post it up once I’ve finalised the details. So not much going on in the way of debt busting being almost halfway through the month, so I’ve decided to focus on the little things each day that I’m doing to help me get to where I need to be!

Today’s money saving efforts
    Clean inside windows upstairs - tidy house tidy mind!
    Make a shopping list for Aldi, small shop for essentials only
    All meals from cupboards/freezer
    Tilly tidy bank account
    Declutter 5 items - tidy house and all that
    Go to gym- run another 5k and do some weights
    Stick to 1200 calories- l need to fit back into my clothes properly
    No alcohol- have set myself a mini challenge of no alcohol until Christmas Eve !!!!
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
  • I am learning that the small things definitely do add up both in doing things around the house and money wise, whenivd added up all the little amounts I use to pay out for small things it soon mounted up,NSDs are addictive once you get going and yes definitely spending in reverse:rotfl:
    The only problem I'm having now is I have saved up for Xmas this year but I still haven't bought any presents because I don't want to spend the money,I like seeing it in my bank account:rotfl:
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Have you thought about going down the route of hair highlights rather than presumably block colour? That way the roots regrowth doesn't show as quickly. I can leave it a good four months before mine needs doing again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Re - the hair coulor, I have baylage so it’s the roots that need the coulor every few weeks, the highlights I get done probably every 6-8 months, I have downgraded my salon from a city centre to local saving around £40 each trip, I just need to stretch my appointments out a bit more! Yesterday turned out a bit more spendy than I would of liked, met a friend for coffee and cake so £13 out of personal spends but I don’t begrudge it and we had a nice catch up !
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
  • Latest credit card bill has just arrived now down to £1942 so under the 2k mark, have set myself a mini challenge to get this to £1.5k by end of February which will be a challenge as we are currently re-decorating and the budget is quite stretched for the next few months as we obviously want to pay for everything in cash so will need to keep things tight after Christmas!
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
  • Also, forgot to add that I sold an item on eBay for £50!!! It’s getting collected at the weekend and the cash will be diverted to the decorating fund as it was a household item that I sold! I have had some more interest in some of my other listings so they should bring in some cash over the weekend, I have a dentist appointment today so god knows what that is going to cost, I have no budget for this so I am relying on eBay to fund the cost!
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
  • I used to dye my hair but got fed up of having to redo the roots all the time,my hair is really shor so I decided to just grow it out and let it go grey, I am 55 so was starting to look like a badger inbetween hair dyes, I am lucky that my hair has gone a lovely metallic grey colour and is evenly spread all over,I love it now and people are always complimenting me on it now
    I thought it would make me look older but the hair dye I was using was doing that instead
  • My mum has lovely grey hair, kind of like a platinum coulor and she went grey quite early, I do agree sometimes dyiyoir hair can be quite ageing and sometimes it’s better to let it look natural, I’ve seen some lovely grey coulors lately, I’m just not brave enough to embrace it just yet!
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
  • My mum has lovely grey hair, kind of like a platinum coulor and she went grey quite early, I do agree sometimes dyiyoir hair can be quite ageing and sometimes it’s better to let it look natural, I’ve seen some lovely grey coulors lately, I’m just not brave enough to embrace it just yet!
    Your mums hair sounds like mine,I stopped dying mine in my mid 40s and it was grey well before my 50th, I love it now
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback