Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,326Posts
    • 7,814Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Prepping for Brexit thread
    • 12th Jun 18, 12:39 PM
    Prepping for Brexit thread 12th Jun 18 at 12:39 PM
    Hi guys
    Iím pretty well resolved to the fact that Brexit is going to affect us all. I donít want this thread to be a good or bad, right or wrong type thing.
    Just a positive, what can we prepare to make life easier, less expensive, less disruptive when it does happen.

My aims are to stock up on items I think are going to get more expensive. Also to try and save up an emergency fund ( that will be slow going as OH took early retirement due to illness) and Iím unemployed at the moment.

So my aims are to work out what items need to be stocked up
    To look for a job
    To live as frugally as possible while eating healthily
    To make sure the savings we have already donít get touched

So guys please feel free to join in and list anything you think may be affected. Or just to comment. That way we can help each other.

Hope to hear from you all soon
    Cuddles
Page 96
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 3rd Jul 19, 7:25 PM
    • 13,453 Posts
    • 184,099 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    You might ask the pharmacist next time you collect your prescription, he ought to have the information as he'll know the rate of deterioration of the product once it's been opened and it may even be that after the 28 days even if it has been stored in the fridge they can't guarantee that it will still be sterile and safe to use. I will check with Ruth though next time I speak to her and hopefully be able to give you the safe answer and peace of mind xxx.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 4th Jul 19, 6:19 AM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 20,676 Thanks
    villagelife
    Primrose are you using the drops as frequently as you should. Please don't use less than advised to as then your st pressure may not be well controlled.

Drops last for 28 days after being opened and may not be sterile enough after this and there is a risk of infection.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 4th Jul 19, 6:26 AM
    • 8,811 Posts
    • 31,104 Thanks
    Primrose
    Yes, I'm using my drops religiously. I'm not missing applications to make them last the extra couple of days.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Jul 19, 6:54 PM
    • 9,830 Posts
    • 33,420 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    A colleague of mine has met a bloke who's prepping for Brexit the hard way. He's proposed to her, and will ultimately get an Irish passport like hers. (She's delighted, so we're all hoping it'll pan out well for her. I'm mildly wondering if a bigamous marriage would get me an Irish passport. I suspect not.)

Since my family tree climbing has not turned up any conveniently near Irish relatives I am now trying to find the name of the chap tho knocked up my great grandma when she was in service. The things we do, the depths we'll stoop to, with this inflammatory bonfire of vanities etc looming...
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 13th Jul 19, 7:44 PM
    • 12,587 Posts
    • 242,165 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I wonder if, at some future point, the Irish passport might become a tainted brand, as customs posts across the world grow wise to the fact that many of its bearers have beggar-all connection to the Emerald Isle and are Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, Americans etc. The mere possession of the green document might be a red flag (pun intended).

Perhaps the newly-Irish should visit the Ould Country, familiarise themselves with some particular part so they can reminisce about it like a native and adopt the brogue?

Just beware of the Kerry accent. The rest of the Irish take the p out of Kerrymen for being thick. And yes, I have been there and the experience left me with a fund of interesting anecdotes.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• maryb
    • By maryb 14th Jul 19, 3:44 PM
    • 4,008 Posts
    • 49,688 Thanks
    maryb
    I'm an Irish citizen automatically because both parents were born in Ireland though I haven't bothered to get an Irish passport. The girls have got citizenship through me because I entered them on the register of Foreign Births. But they changed the rules about ten years ago and DH can't get citizenship through marriage unless we go and live in Ireland for two years. Normally you have to be resident for, I think, five years, so it's a concession but you have to be serious about becoming Irish resident
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 15th Jul 19, 7:04 AM
    • 9,830 Posts
    • 33,420 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I'll mention that to the lass before she goes looking for the wedding frock. Mind the groom may be all for a couple of years residency.

Planted blueberry bushes (car boot sourced, lots of healthy roots) to hope for a range of fruit, regardless of the politicians...
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 15th Jul 19, 8:55 AM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 10,292 Thanks
    grunnie
    The best bit for me in prepping is when you are ill and can't get out you can shop your cupboards. On a self catering holiday and just filled the boot with stuff from the cupboards and fridge and freezer.No trailing round the supermarket and all things i like to eat.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Jul 19, 4:26 PM
    • 13,453 Posts
    • 184,099 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Just when you feel that things have possibly got to the point where Brexit will simmer on the back boiler until it is as thick as glue before anything is actually decided, agreed and approved.....or not.....there pops up a headline that says the EU (New elite thereof) is prepared to grant Boris Johnson an extension from the 31st October to discuss a no deal Brexit and give time to come to some agreement. I was confused by the whole shennanegins right through the whole process from the referendum to the result to the total shambles that is our elected parliament school playground 'in fighting' with each other because they all want their own individual way but am now completely mystified as I was under the impression from Mr. Junker, Mr Barnier and Mr Tusk that there was no further action to be taken on either side. I wonder are we going to get an agreed deal Brexit, a NO Deal Brexit or what?

I am going to up the ante on preps not just for food but by finding some warm clothes and blankets to snuggle under should fuel prices become exorbitant (no reason why they will but I worry), look at hand tools rather than electric for the kitchen as well as the household maintenance and invest in some good old fashioned Kilner Jars to that I can bottle fruit and veg (I know you have to be careful with veg because of the possibility of botulism but I have an American Pressure Canner so that will let me do so safely) and brush up on my sewing skills, my herbalism for medicines and invest in as many 'how to' books as I feel we need to maintain all we have. Thoroughly confused by politics and politicians!!!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • mumf
    • By mumf 20th Jul 19, 4:29 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    mumf
    I think the Iran /Gulf situation could easily skew fuel prices upwards,so any preps in that direction may be good.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 20th Jul 19, 4:50 PM
    • 1,492 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    kah22
    You guys on here really do surprise, you are acting like world war 3 is about to happen. Do you really, really think there will be that much shortages ?

In all honesty would you vote the same way again taking into account all the information that has come out since the referendum. Would you welcome a second vote on the terms of the deal.

For myself I live in Northern Ireland so even if there is a major supply hitch Iím just 35 minutes away from the Republic. And in case you are wondering there are over 300 unapproved crossings.

I do think the English in particular really got it wrong, and now Boris. I sense Scottish and Irish unity.
    Kevin
    Politicians have had three votes on Brexit and theyíre looking for a fourth! Why canít we have a second one?
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Jul 19, 5:17 PM
    • 13,453 Posts
    • 184,099 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Yes I would vote exactly the same way as I did in the referendum and I suspect in three years time we'd still be nowhere!

Not WW3 but if we do leave with No Deal as seems possible if not probably we might find the income we have doesn't go as far as it always has and I like to be warm in the winter so making a bit of extra provision to enable me to be warm doesn't seem a terrible thing to do?
    If energy prices DO get substantially higher we might have to make decisions on what the energy we CAN pay for is used for and if I've got some manual kitchen gadgets like a hand whisk and a mincer I can use 'human power' for preparation for cooking and keep the lights on a bit longer. Not prepping for the end of the world as we know it just trying to be a bit ahead of any problems that might happen.

• Zentimes
    • By Zentimes 21st Jul 19, 5:13 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    Zentimes
    There definitely could be another extension (despite Boris saying it's 31st October for the exit come what May. He could easily change his mind. I hate how it's been dragged out so long.

kah22 - I voted Leave but since then have come to realise it was a bad decision and if I could vote again now, I'd vote Remain. But it is what it is, so prepping continues as I suspect prices will rise and who knows what food favourites might be in short supply (particularly as I'm a gluten free person)
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Jul 19, 7:21 AM
    • 13,453 Posts
    • 184,099 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I think we'll all stop feeling slightly unsettled IF we ever get a resolution of matters and actually KNOW that we're leaving or staying, it's the unknown and the uncertainty that makes for an uneasy feeling. Depending on which way you voted there are bound to be some unhappy and disgruntled people moaning away in either of these cases but actually having the knowledge of how the whole Brexit process is going to end and hopefully WHEN it's going to end too will mean we can actually stop running in circles and make a future for ourselves.

I agree with you Zentimes as I'm pretty sure prices will rise right across the board and possibly the abundance of choice we've all become accustomed to might be less if we have to make sensible choices about what we buy and manufacturers start to slim down their ranges. I'm just hedging my bets and putting in some sensible but not excessive futures by taking advantage of summer sales to buy in winter things at prices that are reasonable. If all is resolved and nothing changes I'll still have made good investment and will have warm clothing, some food stocks and wood for the stove that will all be used anyway in the fullness of time so I think it's worthwhile to do so now.

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 23rd Jul 19, 11:17 AM
    • 9,830 Posts
    • 33,420 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Now, I'm not suggesting for a moment that us prepping is in any way responsible but look - supermarket sales are down
    We've got the tins sorted, we're rotating supplies & yes, no matter which soul lands the PM post & wherever they may drag us, if we bet on things going a bit sideways and have contingencies sorted, we can cope.

If we trust the Gubbyment to look after us, we really need to go to specsavers etc. I reckon education & policing & health will carry right on (albeit with less money & at higher costs), which means what I can control, like the food & the heating & fewer shops to save fuel & money & stress - are plain horse sense.

We hope WW3 isn't going to break out (but honestly who gave that sort of power to Trump?) as sitting on a hillside watching the colours in the sky is about all we can do once it's started, but we've heard the warnings about an economic downturn being possible (no said Mr Dyson who then emigrated & is now dwelling in the most luxurious flat in Singapore, yes said the pragmatic Canadian Mr Carney who has since returned to his mother country) & frankly Mr.Carney's opinion carried more weight with me. A stocked storecupbaord, a loaded woodpile, knowing what & when & how to plant & harvest & preserve our own food - that's prepping but it is also putting every tuppence to good use.

I'm not loading up on bullets beans & bandages, those American prepper staples, mostly as I don't think it'll come to fighting in the streets. (A gal can hope. I have relatives who are more politically active & more at risk of crowds.) I did recertify as a first aider.

I don't have any handy routes over a border to a land where things are still freely available nor the ability to get a legal passport to move around, so yes, I do think there will be shortages as the Just In Time supermarket delivery network was never designed to handle bonus paperwork. Which there likely will be.

Ever seen the Spanish gating folk in & out of Gibraltar? Sometimes there are huge queues. Fresh fruit spoiling, skilled hands sat on the wrong side of the border. That could happen at ports and cascade. Rather than worry about it, I'd rather have that 'extra shop' already in my storecupboard. Know how to make my own bread, know who to talk to about fresh milk & meat locally (I've tinned both but fresh is nicer) & I've more peace of mind.

Meanwhile, the youngest is on the electoral register & has been briefed on the nuts & bolts of voting. He is of course free to vote how he pleases, but if he doesn't use the tools available to make his views known, we have still deeper political problems.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 23rd Jul 19, 12:04 PM
    • 4,008 Posts
    • 49,688 Thanks
    maryb
    A lot of economists seem to think there's the mother and father of recessions coming down the track and the shenanigans with Iran don't help, because it can only put up energy prices. That's quite independent of Brexit but whether or not Brexit turns out ok, uncertainty is not good in those circumstances. It's hard to know if we would overall come off better or worse for having left before recession hits - if this is the final straw for certain French and/or German banks then things could get a bit more interesting than one would like

I think your approach is spot on DforV. I remember someone saying once that if you don't know what to do in the face of something that seems overwhelming then start with the bits you can do and usually other bits become easier to deal with. If you have the bases of food and keeping warm covered, you're ahead of the game
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 23rd Jul 19, 1:07 PM
    • 9,830 Posts
    • 33,420 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I thought I could find that quote easily but got distracted by this one
    Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
    Francis of Assisi. Not the commentator who springs to mind when prepping but that's part of the fun! When faced with the unknown, triage - what must be done, what can be done & the rest will likely cooperate or compost.

A Mountain Rescue pal taught dryly that when lost, stop & brew up. It gets everyone focused on the same task, you seek & find combustibles, you agree a sensible location where folk can sit, you get water boiling & a brew going & folks gather by warm & relax a bit - and even if you're still lost, you've a campsite for the night & a fire to guide those looking for you.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 23-07-2019 at 1:12 PM.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 23rd Jul 19, 2:34 PM
    • 13,453 Posts
    • 184,099 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Well we got Boris and all that currently means is we GOT Boris.

We shall have to wait and see what 'getting Boris' actually means and becomes. Worrying about what 'might happen' is as fruitless as Canute trying to stop the tide so I'm just keeping on weather eye on the happenings in the UK, a weather eye on the happenings in most of the rest of the world and a magnifying glass on Iraq and the USA as I have absolutely no say or control over what happens there I'd like to be as ahead of any associated trouble beginning there as I could. In the meantime right here at home.....the prepping continues as per normal and I'm not panicking.

• GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 23rd Jul 19, 4:18 PM
    • 12,587 Posts
    • 242,165 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    At various times and in various places, I have looked at the successful candidate and bethought myself that several someones are having a laugh.

I susect that BoJo is what might be called a Seat Warmer, a Flak Catcher, a Light Distraction to front up the fiasco which is Brexiiiiiiit and, once he's made a complete hash of it, and taken all the flak, the smooth operators currently plotting in darkened rooms will insinuate one of their own into the public eye.

But then, I am an 'orrible little cynic at times......
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• mumf
    • By mumf 23rd Jul 19, 7:14 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    mumf
    At various times and in various places, I have looked at the successful candidate and bethought myself that several someones are having a laugh.

I susect that BoJo is what might be called a Seat Warmer, a Flak Catcher, a Light Distraction to front up the fiasco which is Brexiiiiiiit and, once he's made a complete hash of it, and taken all the flak, the smooth operators currently plotting in darkened rooms will insinuate one of their own into the public eye.

But then, I am an 'orrible little cynic at times......
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Could not agree more! Bozo( yes) is the UK equivalent of America's Trump.Shoots his gob off first,worries? about the fallout later.God help us.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,173Posts Today

7,688Users online

Martin's Twitter