2019 Wedding

Comments

• Yay! Movement on the divorce front! Next step for H2B is to apply for the decree nisi. We might be in a position to sort out a date :)

We've been into town today and looked at suits, my shoes, table decoration ideas, sweet jars and artificial flowers, not sure I fancy artificial flowers though.

We've talked about invitations and the venue.

Lots of ideas floating around but no decisions made :undecided except losing a little weight and a couple of inches each :rotfl:

xironsongx the wedding fayre was quite good, we talked to a couple of jewellers, a cake maker, suit company and another venue near us (but a bit pricey!) Came home with loads of leaflets and a couple of magazines.

How's everyone else getting on?
    new challenge?
    £1 a day for Christmas 2024 £100.60 / £366 ~
    Got married 24/05/19 ~ Credit Card
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
    LBM 25/2/09 ~ Debt at highest £8,037.35 ~ £0
  • FanDango
    FanDango Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi all

I have already booked for this coming New Year's Eve. I'm struggling with budget quite a lot. We had to go with NYE because of H2B work, but it's so expensive. Some people have quoted thousands more because of the date. I've been searching on Pinterest and other wedding websites, but some of the information they give about saving money is pretty rubbish or common sense - like get people to do everything for you! I'm struggling at the minute with a wedding dress. I'm not really a fan of the traditional, but I do want white/ivory and long. Everything I see costs thousands and you can buy a similar dress in any other colours costs a couple of hundred. Anyone come across any good sites? I don't mind second hand.

The other thing I have a pickle with, is I have made or bought most of the decorations myself and now I'm stuck trying to find people to help me with it or having to pay someone. But most venue dressers want you to hire their stuff. It's all very frustrating!

I've made all our save the dates, invites, confetti is all the petals I have been saving and drying, made the confetti bags, thank you notes for the tables, colouring print outs. Happy to share my money saving notes with anyone.

Good luck - I had no idea how much there was to organising a wedding if you have a restricted budget!!! x
  • FanDango
    FanDango Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kdalwayskint

I've been saving my petals for over a year. Stick them on a baking tray on kitchen towel in a sunny window and when they are dry they go in a brown paper bag, again this is stored somewhere dry. I got a wooden crate from Ikea (it was less than £5) and found a template I liked on pinterest and printed the confetti bags, sealing with double sided tape. I am quite far behind with how many I think I need, but in the summer I am going to head every flower I see to make it up!! Just read your note after and thought you should know that mine are working OK.
  • kdalwayskint
    kdalwayskint Posts: 789
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Fandango, thank you, are they paper bags? Have you looked at Debnams and also dotty p? They both have reasonably priced dresses, I guess it depends what you're looking for.

With regards to budget for my outfit, I'm looking about £100-£200 but want to get shoes and something for my hair out of that too, I don't want a veil though. I can't decide on what style of dress I want to go for, with such a low budget I don't feel I could go to a dress shop.

I saw a post about a couple that really liked the venue that they'd picked but the wedding coordinator didn't make them feel as welcoming as they'd expected, other posters encouraged them to enquire if someone else was available for them. Because of that post it encouraged us to ask for someone else at the venue we like and we are now going for a second viewing. Just wanted to say thank you to whoever that was.

How's everyone else getting on?
    new challenge?
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
  • xironsongx
    xironsongx Posts: 145 Forumite
    I purchased a laptop using our wedding savings.

I spoke to my fiance about this as it was our money and I didn't want to be selfish but I kinda 'need' a laptop as my desktop set up runs horrid and is basically just a keyboard plugged into a tv. No, seriously. I need it for my actual work and my side business. He was absolutely fine with this and helped choose a laptop for me. He's a tech god!

So because of this, I have decided that I will save up a starting emergency fund and will start saving properly for the wedding when the fiance can start putting towards the wedding too as that way it's fair on both parts. I will be saving all change towards the wedding in my little frame though.

The finance is saving for a car and insurance etc... as he is in the final stages of learning how to drive.

We aren't in a rush to get married either. We know we have each other and we're only what the other person "wants" . I will be buying tiny bits for the wedding here and there as and when but it's not so much of a priority.

It's just simply not the right time for us to get married as there are other things we need to buy or want to do before we say "I do" .

Plus, I'm going through some hard times with family - my granddad has alzhimers and is in the last few days/months of his life which I still really hard for me to get over or to come to terms with and to accept it.

Sorry and hope to return soon.
    Good luck to everyone , I'll be popping in & out x
    :heart: Engaged 01-09-17 :heart: Wedding £519.78 (BA) £80.22 (Sp) / £5,600 £5,000 left to save:heart:
  • kdalwayskint
    kdalwayskint Posts: 789
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Ah big hugs to you xironsongx

We've been together a long time and there's always been something else we've needed to use the money on, we both have children from previous relationships so they always came first. My son is 20 now and I'd like to say he's not quite as dependent on me as he used to be, but that's not completely true!

Catch you soon x
    new challenge?
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
  • We're looking forward to visiting our venue choice on Tuesday evening and I think we'll probably set a date after that meeting.

We've bought some vases, jars and lanterns and are going to add some hessian, ribbon and lace to bring them into our rustic type theme. H2B can get some log slices from someone he knows so a saving to be had there!

I've bought a dress from e bay. It's tea length style. I'm hoping it fits ok, I may have to slim my jelly belly down a bit but I'm thinking I've got a good year to go so there shouldn't be too much of an issue and no drastic dieting to be done!

How are you guys keeping on top of any spends of the budget? At the moment I'm just writing it down in the note pad we're using for anything wedding related.

I popped into HappieLassie's diary, organising getting married in 2020, the brides over there are much further along with their planning than I am, how are you other 2019 brides doing?
    new challenge?
    DFW Nerd #1155 ~
  • elleJay42
    elleJay42 Posts: 165
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hello! I go from being 100% confident we're organised enough to thinking we really need to get more done!

Just over 13 months to go and we've got:
    venue (but haven't sorted food with them yet)
    photographer
    videographer
    officiants
    invites - designed and ready to print
    save the dates - designed and ready to print
    bouquets - I'm making them from paper and I'm 1/3 of the way finished
    I have my wedding shoes and a hair decoration

I'm really considering making my wedding dress, my mum sent down her dressmaking mannequin at the weekend so I think I'm going to have a play around tomorrow

we also have our colour scheme - mint and copper with hints of peach and blush

Happy with where we are at the moment but would always like to have more done :)
    Total debt at LBM = £4861.03

DFBXmas2018 #91 - £3342 / £3500 (95.4%)

HTB ISA - £0 withdrawn for house purchase! :D
    Wedding Fund £2550 / £5000
  • Hi all all and KD,

I have a thread running as i'm getting married on the 20th November 2020.
    All are welcome to take a look.

some lovely money saving tips and ideas being shared on here.
    I need to look at dresses but i also want to lose weight to feel more confident trying them on first.
  • It's xironsongx on a new account.
    Needed fresh start. Like this UN better.

Saving for wedding is back on, it's all i can think about and all i want for now.
    Wedding Fund: £1107.23 / £2,500 Xmas'18: £100.00 / £300.00 Emergency Fund: £100.00 / £1,000H2B ISA: £30.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure