IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Help please - Formal Demand Letter from CPM

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,555 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I believe the next step is to appeal to the IAS. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can get help with this, what I need to do or say etc.

I've looked but can't find anything.
    That's because you assume wrong, NO NEXT STEP OF IAS!

The NEWBIES thread tells you this.

Yes you 'sit tight' now. Not ignoring a court claim, of course. Same as all the other UKCPM threads, start reading some to see what happens when we beat them in court.

Search the forum for Gladstones UKCPM and read.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Amaka123
    Amaka123 Posts: 54 Forumite
    Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can help me as I have now received a Letter Before Claim from Gladstones Solicitors. I have researched the forum but I'm unsure which letter template I should be following as they all seem to contain points that I don't feel are related to my situation.

When I appealed the original PCN I had a letter back from UK Car Park Management saying my appeal was unsuccessful and they provided 3 photos (my car parked up and a photo of the signage which I didn't see due to where I parked and due to the fact the road changes from public to private with no real notice of boundary).

My ticket was for parking on a private road which I wasn't aware of since the signage is so poor and the boundary where the road changed from public to private is not at all clear.

Can anyone point me to a letter that I can use to help construct a response, I believe I only have 15 days to reply and 12 days have already passed so I am running out of time.

Any help would be appreciated, I am considering paying the £160 fine as I have anxiety and a 4 month old baby and this isn't helping matters :-(

Thanks in advance
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    No, you have 30 days to respond to a LBC

Are you sure this is actually a LBC?

DONT PAY UP!
  • Amaka123
    No, you have 30 days to respond to a LBC

Are you sure this is actually a LBC?

DONT PAY UP!

It clearly states LETTER BEFORE CLAIM at the top and is from Gladstone Solicitors. The letter does say I have 30 days but reading info on this forum I though it said I only have 15 days? Sorry for confusion.
  • Amaka123
    I am thinking to send this letter which I took from the forum and have made slight changes so that it applies to my case:

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your letter dated 4th October 2018.

When your client's debt collectors first started contacting me, I asked them a number of questions to obtain details of the basis upon which money was being claimed, including all photographs taken of the vehicle at the relevant time. I received a reply that did not provide all the information requested.

You have now sent a Letter Before Claim. However, your letter contains insufficient detail of the claim and, again, fails to provide all the information which I requested as long ago as January 2018. It does not even say what the cause of action is. Nor does it contain any mention of what evidence your client intends to rely on, or enclose copies of such evidence.

This action on the part of your client is a clear breach of its pre-action obligations set out in the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct, with which as solicitors you must surely be familiar (and with which your client, a serial litigator of small claims, must also be familiar). As you (and your client) must know, the Practice Direction binds all potential litigants, whatever the size or type of the claim. Its express purpose is to assist parties in understanding the claim and their respective positions in relation to it, to enable parties to take stock of their positions and to negotiate a settlement, or at least narrow the issues, without incurring the costs of court proceedings or using up valuable court time.

Nobody, including your client, is immune from the requirements and obligations of the Practice Direction. Your client cannot simply fail to provide or omit any relevant information.

I require your client to comply with its obligations by sending me the following information/documents:

1. an explanation of the cause of action
    2. whether they are pursuing me as driver or keeper
    3. whether they are relying on the provisions of Schedule 4 of POFA 2012
    4. what the details of the claim are (where it is claimed the car was parked, how the monies being claimed arose and have been calculated, what contractual breach (if any) is being claimed)
    5. a copy of the contract with the landowner under which they assert authority to bring the claim
    6. a copy of any alleged contract with the driver
    7. a plan showing where any signs were displayed
    8. details of the signs displayed (size of sign, size of font, height at which displayed)
    9. if they have added anything on to the original charge, what that represents and how it has been calculated.

I am clearly entitled to this information under paragraphs 6(a) and 6(c) of the Practice Direction. I also need it in order to comply with my own obligations under paragraph 6(b).

If your client does not provide me with this information then I put you on notice that I will be relying on the cases of Webb Resolutions Ltd v Waller Needham & Green [2012] EWHC 3529 (Ch), Daejan Investments Limited v The Park West Club Limited (Part 20) – Buxton Associates [2003] EWHC 2872, Charles Church Developments Ltd v Stent Foundations Limited & Peter Dann Limited [2007] EWHC 855 in asking the court to impose sanctions on your client and to order a stay of the proceedings, pursuant to paragraphs 13 ,15(b) and (c) and 16. I will draw to the court the fact that I have requested this information since as early as January 2018 yet your client has failed to provide it.

Until your client has complied with its obligations and provided this information, I am unable to respond properly to the alleged claim and to consider my position in relation to it, and it is entirely premature (and a waste of costs and court time) for your client to issue proceedings. Should your client do so, then I will seek an immediate stay pursuant to paragraph 15(b) of the Practice Direction and an order that this information is provided.

Yours faithfully

Is this the right thing to do?
    Thanks
  • nosferatu1001
    Nowhere on this forum states you only have 15 days. Nowhere
    Some "LBC" are actually from DRP, and give 16 days.

Yes it is right to send a response to their LBC.
  • Amaka123
    Nowhere on this forum states you only have 15 days. Nowhere
    Some "LBC" are actually from DRP, and give 16 days.

Yes it is right to send a response to their LBC.

Sorry it was 14 days - stated in red on the thread titled:
    Parking - Letter Before County Court Claim (LBCCC) - Fight back! Guidance Thread

It may be that I am reading something that doesn't apply to me but I thought it did? I am getting confused as lots of the info relates to people dealing with tickets from Parking Eye/Car parking violations - but mine isn't from Parking Eye and is for parking on a private road.
  • nosferatu1001
    It is 30 days
    For a start, thats what the PAP says. You can confirm this easily yourself, or you coan continue arguing.

NEWBIES thread.
  • Amaka123
    It is 30 days
    For a start, thats what the PAP says. You can confirm this easily yourself, or you coan continue arguing.

NEWBIES thread.

30 days gives me a little breathing space then but I will aim to get the letter sent off asap as I don't like it hanging over me...

Does the letter I posted above make sense? Thanks
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Amaka123 wrote: »
    Sorry it was 14 days - stated in red on the thread titled:
    Parking - Letter Before County Court Claim (LBCCC) - Fight back! Guidance Thread

It may be that I am reading something that doesn't apply to me but I thought it did? I am getting confused as lots of the info relates to people dealing with tickets from Parking Eye/Car parking violations - but mine isn't from Parking Eye and is for parking on a private road.
    Yes you are reading something that doesn't apply to you.
    Nor does it apply to anyone else.

Did you see the date of those posts? 2013.

A lot has changed since then.
    In particular, a Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims (PaP) was introduced in October 2017 which amonsst many other things stipulated that thirty days notice of court action must be given.

Google those bold words for the full text. It's easy to read.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure