Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Nick
    • By Former MSE Nick 4th Nov 16, 4:02 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Former MSE Nick
    Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion
    • 4th Nov 16, 4:02 PM
    Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion 4th Nov 16 at 4:02 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss

Best Sim-only Deals

Click reply to discuss or ask a question about this article click reply
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 12-11-2018 at 1:33 PM.
Page 3
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Feb 17, 6:14 PM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I think they do 30day contracts.

Someone on here recommend you take out a medium package for a month, then ring um up and tell them you want to downgrade to the basic and then some very good deals can be had
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    That's really sneaky.

I like it.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 16th Feb 17, 7:10 PM
    • 3,884 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    AndyPK
    LOL

or maybe you need to tell them you want to leave.

can't remember.
    • Anonymously
    • By Anonymously 17th Feb 17, 10:20 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Anonymously
    Plusnet have stated that it may change in the future but the future could be anytime in the distance near or far.
    For PlusNet the future can be unseeable. They promised a new billing system 6 years ago, still promising it.

Do not hold your breath for promises of jam in the future, unless you can survive without any oxygen.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 17th Feb 17, 10:33 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    craigr98
    Also wonder how Plusnet are getting along with developing their usage app. Rolls eyes.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th Mar 17, 4:47 PM
    • 4,164 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    boatman
    If you leave BT because of price increases, you will continue to get your 5 discount for the remainder of your mobile sim contract even if you cancel BT phone and broadband.
    • politicfool
    • By politicfool 8th Apr 17, 8:27 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    politicfool
    TPO safety issue
    WARNING about TPO (The People's Operator) which currently has a deal being promoted by MSE.

TPO doesn't support calls to the NHS 111 number, which is a serious safety issue since 111 is now the only way to access a range of NHS urgent care services and since there is no longer any alternative 0300 number. For example, where I live in west London, out of hours GP services can only be accessed by dialing 111. I have a newborn baby at home and found this out the hard way when the little one was unwell during the evening!!!

MSE Team - I have a written response from TPO acknowledging that they do not support 111 and are not actively working on adding support in the future. Please contact me directly if you want to see it. I would be surprised if there weren't an Ofcom mandate for all carriers to support 111 calls. If that's the case, in my opinion you should remove them from the site until they comply with their legal obligations.

Another TPO limitation, they require a 50 payment before they will activate roaming - I'm not aware of any other carriers that require this.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 8th Apr 17, 8:36 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    craigr98
    Virgin Mobile won't let you roam until you have paid for three bills, unless you want to deposit 50 to your account and get roaming sooner. This is certainly the case on SIM Only plans.
    • mskadu
    • By mskadu 23rd Apr 17, 10:03 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    mskadu
    Had been an O2 small business customer for a few years now. Until recently paying approx 23 for sim-only, 1 gig of data and unlimited calls+texts.

Don't really make a lot of calls (approx 400 mins) and texts (prob no more than 25 at best). But use a lot of data (always reached my 1 GB limit).

Spotted a good deal on Tesco mobile via this article which gave me 6 GB data with more than necessary calls/ texts on a 12 month SIM only contract. All for 13.

Called O2 to cancel and with almost no haggling got a 13/ month sim-only deal with 30 days rolling contract for the same price. And it got me 7 gig of data for unlimited calls ) texts.

Now that's profit in every sense. Thanks MSE!
    • 40a
    • By 40a 27th Apr 17, 7:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    40a
    Just phoned Three to ask if I could change my expired contract to the 8GB/600m/FAH Advanced plan for 12pm and they said could only offer that for 18pm! Then they cautioned me that contracts purchased through third parties have a risk of unexpected un-notified price rises. They blamed Carphonewarehouse, but when was the last time you could get a Three contract through them?! Also mentioned something about different terms and conditions.

They couldn't really offer me a similar deal so I said I'll take up the MSE offer and request a PAC code. They said I'd have to change to PAYG first and then port the number over.

They don't make things easy do they... -_-
    • thecolonel62
    • By thecolonel62 30th Apr 17, 6:39 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thecolonel62
    If it says eg 3 gb(4G) I assume you will get 4G speed if your phone is compatible but I am also correct in assuming that if you have only a 3g phone you will still get that amount of data allowance, it just won't be at 4G speed but at 3g. In other words it still works just not as fast??? Please clarify thanks
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 30th Apr 17, 8:00 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    If it says eg 3 gb(4G) I assume you will get 4G speed if your phone is compatible but I am also correct in assuming that if you have only a 3g phone you will still get that amount of data allowance, it just won't be at 4G speed but at 3g. In other words it still works just not as fast??? Please clarify thanks
    Originally posted by thecolonel62
    Yes, if it says 3GB (4G) you get the same data allowance if you use the SIM in a 3G phone.
    • Gooman
    • By Gooman 10th May 17, 1:47 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Gooman
    Plusnet international roaming problems
    Be aware - plusnet has severe coverage problems for international roaming, particularly in the Caribbean.

I can't get any service in St Lucia. Others have posted in the public plusnet forums about similar problems elsewhere in the Caribbean. Plusnet technical support are unable to help.
    • jebboy0912
    • By jebboy0912 30th May 17, 4:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jebboy0912
    Three sim-only deal for heavy users
    For info:

I just called Three to see if I could get moved onto the plan recommended in the Guide for heavy data users which offered 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 8GB of 4G data for 12/mth over 12 months (Three Advanced plan; available to new customers, and to existing customers who are out of contract or want a second line).

However, I was advised that that plan is not available at that price ( I did give the customer services assistant the web URL of the Three website page you land at by clicking through on the link provided in the guide but they were unable to say if it had ever been available).

Instead, there current nearest equivalents are 12 per month (on offer currently from a regular price of 20 per month) for 4GB data (with "all-you-can-eat" minutes and texts) or 15 per month (on offer currently from a regular price of 21 per month) for 8GB data (with 600 minutes and "all-you-can-eat" texts).

Obviously going to redo my sums to check if one of those is still the right deal for me before proceeding, but I think it is still competitive if you're happy with Three's network, service and coverage etc.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 30th May 17, 5:31 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    I keep an eye on Three's SIM only prices as I'm out of contract with them (12 month SIM only) and haven't been able to find the 600 min, 8 GB, 12/month deal mentioned, it's 15 on their web pages.

Three have yet to publish their changes with regard to "free" EU roaming which comes into legislation on 15th June. I've asked them twice about it and got nowhere. As to what will happen to their prices in June is anyone's guess.
    • SnowdonRanger
    • By SnowdonRanger 31st May 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SnowdonRanger
    Hi, I've just been on to iDmobile as an existing customer to benefit from the deal described in this week's newsletter, and they weren't having it. They would set up a new account, but then you can't port your number to a new plan with the same company. I've heard this before. They would of course upgrade me by adjusting my deal, but the fella I spoke to wasn't allowed to upgrade me to the more favourable terms described in the MSE post. So basically this is for new customers only!
    • vaderag
    • By vaderag 31st May 17, 3:17 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    vaderag
    I had the same things re. ID Mobile.
    Current customer, they can't do it.

I did get told that they've raised it however and they think they should be able to in the next few days...
    • D.A.
    • By D.A. 6th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 1,088 Posts
    • 805 Thanks
    D.A.
    Yep, looks like that 8Gig contract with Three that's mentioned in the guide doesn't exist.

Shouldn't MSE be taking it down by now?
    • posieflump
    • By posieflump 7th Jun 17, 11:56 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    posieflump
    The People's Operator* /uswitch problem
    I have tried every way I can think of but I cant get past the ID check for this deal or the plus net one. I have tried 2 different browsers , 2 different computers 4 different bank accounts and every possible variation of my address and I cant get through it tells me my name or address don't match by bank details (they do) or I have not been at my address long enough (12 years) or my email is already signed up. it is not. I phoned them and they said that the error message is right and I am wrong. I gave in and tried a less suitable deal with plus net and got the same thing.
    Is this there problem ? Is anyone else finding this? Is there a solution?
    I am already at the end of my tether having a freedom pop account that wont give any signal from which I cant get a pac code to transfer my number as basic contracts don't entitle you to use any form of customer service communication needed to request on.
    can any body help me please?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 7th Jun 17, 1:34 PM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 2,560 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I have tried every way I can think of but I cant get past the ID check for this deal or the plus net one. I have tried 2 different browsers , 2 different computers 4 different bank accounts and every possible variation of my address and I cant get through it tells me my name or address don't match by bank details (they do) or I have not been at my address long enough (12 years) or my email is already signed up. it is not. I phoned them and they said that the error message is right and I am wrong. I gave in and tried a less suitable deal with plus net and got the same thing.
    Is this there problem ? Is anyone else finding this? Is there a solution?
    I am already at the end of my tether having a freedom pop account that wont give any signal from which I cant get a pac code to transfer my number as basic contracts don't entitle you to use any form of customer service communication needed to request on.
    can any body help me please?
    Originally posted by posieflump
    You give 4 different error messages for just 2 different websites so which did you actually see and on which website? If you phoned them then surely they explained what the issue was? Why didn't you subscribe on the phone while talking to them?
    • posieflump
    • By posieflump 7th Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    posieflump
    Thanks for replying .
    All the error messages came up at once on tpo every time.
    on plus net it just said verification failed. when I phoned TPO they said that the error messages stand and there was nothing they could do they could not sign me up over the phone. I put in a technical ticket and got
    "Hi,

Thank you for contacting us.

We at TPO do not do a credit check however we do have a 3rd party ID check if any information that you enter does not match then with the ID check it will not let you sign up.

I'm afraid we do not have any control over this.

Kind Regards,
    TPO TEAM"
    It seems that my address on whatever databases they check wont cross check.

I ma wondering if the problem is specific or general and if anything can be done.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,073Posts Today

8,091Users online

Martin's Twitter