Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 24th Aug 15, 2:42 PM
    • 398Posts
    • 199Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    Our new Plusnet haggling guide- please share your feedback
    • 24th Aug 15, 2:42 PM
    Our new Plusnet haggling guide- please share your feedback 24th Aug 15 at 2:42 PM

Hi, we have a new Haggle with Plusnet guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Post below to share any information, tips and your own experiences. If you haven't already join the forum to reply. If you need any help getting started read our New to Forum? Intro Guide

Thanks in advance,

MSE Megan F
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 3:23 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 3
    • Schtum
    • By Schtum 19th May 16, 9:57 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Schtum
    Plusnet won't price match
    Just to add my own experience with plusnet.

Have been with them for three years, usually happy with the deals they offer, general service provision.

However, their retention offers this year have been well off the mark in comparison to what new customers are getting. Almost offensively so!

On talking twice to retentions, they specifically said that they have been told not to price match. They even acknowledged that talktalk and sky were doing significantly better deals.

So, in essence, don't expect to get anything better than the package you're on at the moment (for ADSL broadband at least).
    • dawny10
    • By dawny10 20th May 16, 6:45 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    dawny10
    I had no joy either. 12 months ago I renogotiated with them and got the same deal as new customers, free broadband, even got 50 cashback when I mentioned that. Phoned up as my contract has come to an end and got offered 3.33 per month for an 18 month contract. Said I'd seen new customers got it free but she said she couldn't budge. Said I'd have to leave for talktalks free deal but again no negotiating.
    • Eliza ST
    • By Eliza ST 21st May 16, 12:36 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Eliza ST
    Our deal ran out a couple of months ago, so as the guide suggests, we phoned & said we were thinking of cancelling. Got a new deal for the same price as the expired one, which we're pleased with except that it's for 24 months.
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 22nd May 16, 11:26 AM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 3,809 Thanks
    Old Git
    I have free BB from plusnet until next week . I also have free weekend calls . They offered me BB for 2.50 on an 18 month contract .
    I was looking a better deal.

Sky and Talk Talk dont offer free calls
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 22nd May 16, 2:31 PM
    • 5,639 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    brewerdave
    I have free BB from plusnet until next week . I also have free weekend calls . They offered me BB for 2.50 on an 18 month contract .
    I was looking a better deal.

Sky and Talk Talk dont offer free calls
    Originally posted by Old Git
    I have recently been "courted" by Sky -as I'm a TV customer they offered free b/band and reduced line rental BUT...the call situation is the balance point for me staying with PN -as long as I can still use 18185 for daytime calls and I keep my legacy line rental deal inc. weekend and evening calls, then I can tolerate paying a little more for broadband! I'm a landline user for calls because the mobile coverage here is erratic to say the least!

So wish me luck when I phone PN Retentions in two weeks time!
    Last edited by brewerdave; 22-05-2016 at 2:33 PM.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 3rd Aug 16, 12:11 PM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 2,837 Thanks
    harz99
    Just coming to an end of my current broadband/International calls deal which costs me a total of 26.99 monthly.

PN speeds in my neck of the woods are poor due to distance from box and exchange, so have been toying with fibre for a while.

Retentions have made me two offers over the past fortnight, I rang again today, they wouldn't better their last offer except to throw in the fibre router postage free.

So line rental paid up front 185.88 for 12 months, 7.50 for fibre up to 38mb and 7.50 for Anytime International 300 = 30.49 monthly for the first year or 365.88 for the year.

It's an 18 month contract so line rental will increase for the final 6 months by say 20-25 total.

I would have gone with SSE fibre, but now you need to be an energy customer the cheap BB/phone is cancelled out by higher energy prices so nothing doing there.

Hopefully, the fibre speeds will be worth the extra 3.50 monthly!!
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 3rd Aug 16, 1:39 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    Swipe
    I'd much rather stay with plusnet than ever go back to BT. And their stupid quarterly advanced billing system isn't the main reason either.
    • iansp
    • By iansp 20th Aug 16, 6:47 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    iansp
    I put this in another thread, but I thought I would add it here too.

As a long-standing customer, I have just spoken to a Plusnet advisor who swears to me that the absolute best he, or anyone else can do, is 10 per month plus line rental, which would be 27.99 per month. I cited the deal mentioned above - but he would not budge.

There was nobody more senior there who could do any more, he couldn't even shave another quid off.
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 22nd Aug 16, 11:25 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    I put this in another thread, but I thought I would add it here too.

As a long-standing customer, I have just spoken to a Plusnet advisor who swears to me that the absolute best he, or anyone else can do, is 10 per month plus line rental, which would be 27.99 per month. I cited the deal mentioned above - but he would not budge.

There was nobody more senior there who could do any more, he couldn't even shave another quid off.
    Originally posted by iansp
    Make sure you choose the "Thinking of leaving us?" option when the call is answered.

I have always been asked the best deal I have seen (which is normally broadband for free), quote that and they should match it.

If they won't budge, try again in a day or two.
    • iansp
    • By iansp 23rd Aug 16, 10:31 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    iansp
    Nope. No joy on that. I posted what I managed to cobble together in the other thread.

Basically I've got it down to 25 per month overall.
    • SpanishBlue
    • By SpanishBlue 23rd Aug 16, 11:25 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    SpanishBlue
    I've just seen your post on the other thread - Sorry, I didn't realise you were talking about Fibre, which of course is more expensive than Broadband.

I am on Broadband, which is often available for close to nothing plus line rental.

What you are paying for Fibre seems a pretty good price to me.
    • mhaldix
    • By mhaldix 23rd Sep 16, 11:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mhaldix
    My experience with Plusnet has been a nightmare.
    They had me pay a years' line rental in advance 2 weeks before connecting my service. Then they started charging me monthly line rental of 17.99 even though I'd already paid.
    It is VERY difficult to contact them as they refuse to provide an e-mail address!! After lots of arguing they agreed to refund the payment they'd wrongly taken but a few weeks later they made my broadband service virtually unusable, insisting the bill I'd actually paid twice was still unpaid.
    You could not make this up.
    To date I have wasted around 5 hours attempting to get this scam resolved but am nowhere near getting an apology, nor so much as a promise that they will correct their IT system so it doesn't happen again, nor any compensation for all the time I've wasted.
    I'll be leaving Plusnet as soon as my contract expires
    • luckwudaveit
    • By luckwudaveit 9th Nov 16, 11:49 AM
    • 248 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    luckwudaveit
    Currently I'm on free bb, no calls and pay line rental saver.

Now package prices include line rental, it's harder to compare when paying rental upfront. Anyway, just called Plusnet to discuss end of contract options. Line rental save still 185.88 for 12 months, but bb up to 2.99 a months. I said I'd shop around.

Five minutes later I got an email offering me bb at 0.99 per month but with 18 month contract and line rental saver at 185.88 for 12 months. I've just spoke with them and after the 12 months it's 17.99 line rental per month. However, I'm struggling to beat it, without relying on cashback websites which I'm wary of (been bitten before).
    Last edited by luckwudaveit; 09-11-2016 at 7:57 PM.
    • Catman7
    • By Catman7 9th Nov 16, 2:32 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Catman7
    Anyone had any good plus net tv offers looking to add tv plus bt sports
    • bilies
    • By bilies 24th Nov 16, 9:39 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bilies
    I'm out of contract with Plusnet and tried to negotiate a new deal this morning but the best they could do was still 5 a month more than what they are offering to new customers!
    I'd be happy if they just matched the new customer offer but It seems loyalty doesn't mean anything to them anymore, such a shame!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 24th Nov 16, 3:36 PM
    • 9,167 Posts
    • 5,462 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I'm out of contract with Plusnet and tried to negotiate a new deal this morning but the best they could do was still 5 a month more than what they are offering to new customers!
    I'd be happy if they just matched the new customer offer but It seems loyalty doesn't mean anything to them anymore, such a shame!
    Originally posted by bilies
    It doesn't mean anything to any provider. They just want to attract people in.

Well they snared me , but I can't wait to leave, even if Sky does cost me more.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 25th Nov 16, 2:29 PM
    • 6,657 Posts
    • 5,696 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

Originally posted by bilies
    I was the same, missed my renewal for LRS, so was on basic 17.99 line rental and 9.99 BB.

Phoned them a couple of days ago to see if they had any Black Friday offers,

first offer LRS 185.88 and BB 4.99, 12 months,

mmm, is that the best you can do?

Pause, piped music,

second offer BB down to 2.49,

mmm, I mentioned the Sky Black Friday offer, 15 pm, plus 75 prepaid Mastercard.

Pause, more piped music,

third offer free BB.

So went with that, had intended to renew LRS anyway.

So try mentioning the Sky Black Friday offer.
    Y'all take care now.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 26th Nov 16, 8:09 AM
    • 5,639 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Back in June , I renewed ALR and then got a 24 month deal on u/l ADSL2+ broadband - first 18 months free then 9.99 pm ie equivalent to 2.49 pm over the contract.
    Went with PN because I have free weekend and evening calls included (legacy deal) and can still use the likes of 18185 for daytime calls.
    • catslovelycats
    • By catslovelycats 26th Nov 16, 4:11 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    catslovelycats
    Next month my first year with plusnet ends.
    I had year's free BB and was paying for evening and w/end calls. Paid for the rental saver up front.
    Spoke to someone today and they have agreed to give me exactly the same deal for another 12 months plus the 50 cashback that is on offer for new customers.
    Very happy.
    • Noeloxford
    • By Noeloxford 27th Nov 16, 6:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Noeloxford
    Noeloxford
    Beware of Plusnet! I am a new customer, they told me last week my phone line was ready but wait for their modem which came yesterday. Tried to use the broadband but the line was dead.
    Plusnet said it would take another week to fix but it was not their fault it was OPENREACH's.
    No wonder they get good reviews, they can blame others.
    Plus their customer support are rubbish. Had to wait 30 minutes before I got through. If they are so wonderful why such a long wait? Probably handling customers complaints .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

101Posts Today

1,587Users online

Martin's Twitter