Our new Plusnet haggling guide- please share your feedback

Comments

• I just rang Plusnet and said I was thinking of moving to Virgin to save money. I am out of contract and have been with them for four years. They not only didn't make any effort to keep me with a special deal, but said if I cancelled I'd have to pay a £30 BT charge for moving off the network. Where did I go wrong? :(
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    sue_marie wrote: »
    I just rang Plusnet and said I was thinking of moving to Virgin to save money. I am out of contract and have been with them for four years. They not only didn't make any effort to keep me with a special deal, but said if I cancelled I'd have to pay a £30 BT charge for moving off the network. Where did I go wrong? :(

Show how you could save money by switching to Virgin.
  • Same story as others, existing customer with my contract ending in under 2 weeks. Went straight to the cancellation number for Plusnet, explained about their new offer of free broadband for new customers and how it was silly they wanted over £200 extra for an existing customer. Name dropped the prices of competitors and their prices and was offered the free broadband for 12 months, but could not push them to include the £50 cashback as well.

Saved over £200 instantly, would guess it is their policy at the moment to price match their own deal for existing customers, or bow to the customer demands if Money Saving Expert / Martin Lewis is mentioned.
    Thanks
  • Just wanted to let you know that despite the fact that we are current PlusNet customers (and have been for 10 years) I was able to get the same deal as new customers by haggling. So we are getting a year's telephone rental and broadband for £185.88 -- plus a £50 cashback. On top of that, our current broadband was upgraded to unlimited immediately when we should've really waited until 10 February for the switch-over. Thanks Martin and team!
  • moremore
    moremore Posts: 518 Forumite
    Follow them on twitter it a good way of getting you point across...
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2016 at 11:24PM
    Just wanted to let you know that despite the fact that we are current PlusNet customers (and have been for 10 years) I was able to get the same deal as new customers by haggling. So we are getting a year's telephone rental and broadband for £185.88 -- plus a £50 cashback. On top of that, our current broadband was upgraded to unlimited immediately when we should've really waited until 10 February for the switch-over. Thanks Martin and team!

Did the same thing as you at the end of November. But got the offer of £75 cashback (Black Friday offer).

The thing is do your homework before you haggle. I said them that I could get broadband free with Sky and £1 at EE plus landline costs.

Also be sure to know before you ring what the latest offers are on Plusnet site.

Basically haggle against them with knowledge they know because they shadow the competition offers.

If you don't get a deal that day ring again couple days later and try again.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Not really a money save, but I thought might post it here anyway.
    Now being a broadband only customer (my parents pay for line rental), I don't get the best deals. A matter fact because I signed up to them before they implemented their £2.50 broadband only charge I pay less anyway I don't have to pay that it seems.
    Anyway Plusnet recently announced the All in one Plusnet Hub One (basically a re-skinned BT Home Hub 5A). I thought I would right see I could get one. They offered me for free for a new 18 month contract.
  • editor1 wrote: »
    Like many, coming to the end of what was a great deal with Plusnet, have made enquiries about renewing contract, all was offered was BB at £2.50 PM if paid VLR upfront, with anytime calls this would take our existing bill to about £24PM, whilst new customers can get same deal with CashBack of £100 from Quidco and PN £50.00 Cashback, making a total cost inclusive of all offers to less than £9.00PM for a 12 month contract, compare with BT, which can get for £13.60 PM with all offers - quite a staggering difference if you are loyal, so unless PlusNet can offer free BB and free anytime calls I'll be joining BT this Thursday.

Ask Plusnet to price match BT's deal. At the time My contract was ending, talktalk were offering the best deal , When I told Plusnet, they immediately offered to price match .
  • sue_marie wrote: »
    I just rang Plusnet and said I was thinking of moving to Virgin to save money. I am out of contract and have been with them for four years. They not only didn't make any effort to keep me with a special deal, but said if I cancelled I'd have to pay a £30 BT charge for moving off the network. Where did I go wrong? :(
    Show how you could save money by switching to Virgin.

So. Encouraged by your successes I tried again. Told the customer services agent about the Virgin £22.99pm inc line rental vs Plusnet's £33. She initially promised to match it but then said that Virgin isn't available at my postcode. My heart sank. She then spoke to her boss and offered the following: line rental + broadband + eve/weekend calls for £19.49pm (though line rental has to be paid upfront). I'm pretty happy with that, so thank you for inspiring me to persist.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Anyone had any success at getting the MSE Plusnet deal direct with them. I'm an existing customer so can't take advantage of MSE deal, thanks.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback