Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Nick
    • By Former MSE Nick 21st Aug 15, 4:58 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Former MSE Nick
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback
    • 21st Aug 15, 4:58 PM
    Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback 21st Aug 15 at 4:58 PM

Hi all, we have new Sky Haggling guide, and we'd love to hear your feedback.

Just click reply below to share any info. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Nick
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 25-08-2015 at 2:36 PM.
Page 95
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 20th Jul 19, 8:24 AM
    • 5,641 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Got the call yesterday. They offered me the exact same package 12 month only for 33. I said yes. So instead of a 25% increase its a 25% decrease. They charged me the 10 surcharge but removed it in the discounts.
    Originally posted by dinglebert

Is that all in HD ?? If so, its just about the best deal I've seen for a while!! Must be over 60% discount!
    • applicationcen
    • By applicationcen 20th Jul 19, 10:56 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    applicationcen
    I have a 2Tb Sky HD box, Boxsets, Movies

14.00 pm October 2017
    23.00 pm October 2018
    28.62 pm November 2018 - 1 month later they hiked it up from 23!
    30.25 pm April 2019 - 5 months later they hiked it up from 28.62!

20 July 2019 - I called to ask if they can reduce it a bit? AND they said they the cheapest they can offer is 4 more than I am already paying.

Going to clear down any stuff I really want to watch and chuck it.
    • Space Captain
    • By Space Captain 20th Jul 19, 11:05 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Space Captain
    Rang today to renegotiate a relatives TV package that is out of its contract. .
    They were paying 15 a month for the original package so I asked to be put through to retentions. They offered the Entertainment package which has more channels for the same price on an 18 month contract with a 10 admin charge.
    I was told that HD was 5 a month extra but when she applied the offer it didn't charge for it so I got lucky there.
    I think 15 for the entertainment package + HD is a good price
    Last edited by Space Captain; 21-07-2019 at 6:45 AM. Reason: Typo
    • dinglebert
    • By dinglebert 21st Jul 19, 8:55 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 517 Thanks
    dinglebert
    Yes all HD. Must say I am pleased by it. They finally gave me my breakdown of the charges email yesterday.
    • depeche
    • By depeche 22nd Jul 19, 2:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    depeche
    2 weeks into cancellation.

been offered:

Ent - 15
    Box sets - 1
    HD - 1
    Sports & Cinema - 22
    BB - 20

Total = 59. Down from previous offer of 68, and 3 lower than existing bill (62)
    • Space Captain
    • By Space Captain 23rd Jul 19, 5:14 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Space Captain
    2 weeks into cancellation.

been offered:

Ent - 15
    Box sets - 1
    HD - 1
    Sports & Cinema - 22
    BB - 20

Total = 59. Down from previous offer of 68, and 3 lower than existing bill (62)
    Originally posted by depeche
    Did they ring you to offer this or did you ring them back?
    Has the MySky app got any offers for you?
    Last edited by Space Captain; 23-07-2019 at 5:15 AM. Reason: .
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 23rd Jul 19, 7:46 AM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 2,561 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Sky are sharks. We have an 18-month contract in place, which we got a good "deal" on - six months into the contract they hiked up our monthly bill by 5 which Sky said would ensure we would continue to get reliable service for our internet and TV (or something to that effect). It was complete BS. After numerous calls, they said this was standard and if I wasn't happy with this, I could cancel my contract, which is so arrogant given we've spent a lot of money on the Sky Q box and wireless mini boxes to get other TVs around the house working, and they have a monopoly on the Premier League.
    Originally posted by Home Farm
    The broadband and TV aren't linked, it they had a mid-contract rise on it then you have a 30 day window (once advised of the rise) to switch (not cancel) suppliers. This is exactly the same as everybody else although BT for one seem to be moving to include RPI increases within the contract every 12 months.

They don't have a 'monopoly' on PL football either (not since 2007 in fact). You can watch (select games) on BT and of course there's always the cheaper option of NowTV (albeit they're owned by Sky).
    • Keith_F
    • By Keith_F 23rd Jul 19, 4:26 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Keith_F
    Out of contract next week.
    Current offer
    Cinema 11
    Box sets 19.50
    Sports 21
    HD 3.50
    Total 55.

Called today all they could offer was an extra 4 off cinema.

Not good enough.

Left them to think about it!
    • Dave_Gosport
    • By Dave_Gosport 23rd Jul 19, 4:45 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Dave_Gosport
    Current offer
    Cinema 11
    Box sets 19.50
    Sports 21
    HD 3.50
    Total 55.

Not good enough.

Originally posted by Keith_F
    I was paying 19.50 for Boxsets with 50% off. A few weeks ago I called to cancel as that deal was coming to an end and now I'm paying 17 for Entertainment (15), Boxsets (1) and HD (1).

Whats showing when you log on to Sky.com/mydeal? or on the MySky app if you have it?
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 23rd Jul 19, 4:55 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 4,548 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    We will be paying 152 from November apparently.....we have all the services and TV/Broadband packages. The best they can get it down to is 118.

I have rung twice to see if I can haggle but I am not getting very far!

Any ideas, as we really don't want to cancel.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 23rd Jul 19, 5:11 PM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 2,561 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    We will be paying 152 from November apparently.....we have all the services and TV/Broadband packages. The best they can get it down to is 118.

I have rung twice to see if I can haggle but I am not getting very far!

Any ideas, as we really don't want to cancel.
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    Wait until October and give your 30 days notice.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 23rd Jul 19, 5:13 PM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 2,561 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Current offer
    Cinema 11
    Box sets 19.50
    Sports 21
    HD 3.50
    Total 55.

Not good enough.

Originally posted by Keith_F
    They want everybody off the legacy packages, have they not mentioned Entertainment?
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 23rd Jul 19, 5:26 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 4,548 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    Wait until October and give your 30 days notice.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Will they act on reducing the price if we do that or just go ahead and disconnect?

I would be calling their bluff as we don't want to leave!!
    • Dave_Gosport
    • By Dave_Gosport 23rd Jul 19, 6:06 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Dave_Gosport
    Will they act on reducing the price if we do that or just go ahead and disconnect?

I would be calling their bluff as we don't want to leave!!
    Originally posted by happyandcontented
    Just go ahead and say you want to cancel everything. Then once you've done that check the MySky app or go on sky.com/mydeal to see what offers are there.

Once your in the 31 day cancellation process you can still change your mind and not leave. They may even offer you a better deal like they did with me!
    • depeche
    • By depeche 24th Jul 19, 11:23 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    depeche
    Did they ring you to offer this or did you ring them back?
    Has the MySky app got any offers for you?
    Originally posted by Space Captain
    My sky not showing anything, this was over online chat after they emailed me saying to get in touch
    • meer53
    • By meer53 25th Jul 19, 8:17 AM
    • 9,492 Posts
    • 13,899 Thanks
    meer53
    I cancelled my Sky TV package a month ago, due to terminate 29 July. Not a single call or email about me staying, been with them for 15 years. Was paying around 72 a month for broadband TV and landline. I'm not worried as I now have broadband and landline for 21 a month from Vodafone and have bought a 2tb Humax Freesat Box.

I think Sky are realising that people are no longer prepared to pay their prices. I'm 50 a month better off !
    • rexel
    • By rexel 25th Jul 19, 8:45 AM
    • 543 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    rexel
    cancelled sky on 18 July no phone calls nothing on sky app when do they contact you
    • redmalc
    • By redmalc 25th Jul 19, 10:08 AM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    redmalc
    can anyone confirm if when they had skyq fitted the fitter offered them a deal at 60 per additional mini box ?
    • Space Captain
    • By Space Captain 25th Jul 19, 11:02 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Space Captain
    cancelled sky on 18 July no phone calls nothing on sky app when do they contact you
    Originally posted by rexel
    Log on to the Sky website and check marketing preferences are set to on.

Go on live chat and say that your cancellation is in progress but do they have any offers.

When you cancelled didn't they put you through to retentions?
    • savvy
    • By savvy 26th Jul 19, 2:28 PM
    • 30,189 Posts
    • 47,009 Thanks
    savvy
    I cancelled my Sky TV package a month ago, due to terminate 29 July. Not a single call or email about me staying, been with them for 15 years. Was paying around 72 a month for broadband TV and landline. I'm not worried as I now have broadband and landline for 21 a month from Vodafone and have bought a 2tb Humax Freesat Box.

I think Sky are realising that people are no longer prepared to pay their prices. I'm 50 a month better off !
    Originally posted by meer53
    Think this will be me, I've been with Sky since the late 80's and I never get the good deals that everyone else gets on here when they go to cancel. Nothing showing on 'my offers' etc, except Sky Q which is pointless for me. Now it's just me I don't need multi room nor Sports, so will be interesting to see what they might offer, but for the first time ever I am more than prepared to try out Now TV or something else.......IF I can get them to work
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,634Posts Today

9,185Users online

Martin's Twitter