Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 4:07 PM
    • 2,215Posts
    • 14,387Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 4:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 4:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 5:36 PM.
Page 115
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 17th Jul 19, 9:04 AM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 36,303 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I love the thought of you both sitting chatting with Hoppy, yesterday while I was gardening I was talking to a baby Robin and a young very spotty blackbird, neither of which seemed to have learned to be cautious around human beans yet. They both kept coming back and getting within a couple of feet of me all afternoon, as and when I spotted them (head down weeding herbaceous border) I did my statue impressions and just loved their presence. They were later rewarded with several handfuls of dried meal worms as there are no worms to be found in my newly dug bits of soil.
    Last edited by maddiemay; 17-07-2019 at 9:05 AM. Reason: typo
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • edwink
    • By edwink 17th Jul 19, 5:15 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi everyone

Hoppy is doing ok thankfully and we spent quite a bit of time on the lawn with her today, several times just chatting away like you do to a duck. She just keeps looking at us as if to say what are you going on about you two. She enjoyed some freshly cut up cucumber and I gave her some very wet lettuce because I thought she wasn't drinking enough today. She gobbled all that lot up so there is nothing wrong with her appetite. I just wish she wouldn't share her bowl of food with the local pigeon population. She just lets them dip in and out of it and a few of the pigeons stand in it too. Would like to change her food bowl but really wanted to keep everything that she is familiar with. I'll have a think on that one.

Good news, really good news!. We have finished the fence . What an absolute pain in the backside that job was but now we have much less of a hedge to cut back twice a year and foxes won't be able to get out through it like they have done before as we have blocked a huge percentage of it. The reused fence panels were fitted sideways so reach a height of 6ft 6 and the hedge is 8ft tall so hopefully that should be ok now, fingers crossed.

Still have the netting to fit hopefully tomorrow and Friday but as I'm hobbling a bit because I pulled a muscle in the back of my leg. Got my feet up now so hopefully it won't play me up tomorrow. Got frozen thingy on it which is helping a bit so we will need to see how it is in the morning. The netting to be done is about 2 lengths of around 50ft I guess. We will fix batons to the original fencing and leave them around 3ft higher or so, then we can pin the netting along the length of the batons. The netting is quite dense so won't be too see through unlike the chicken wire that is over the fencing there already. The hens and ducks never used to be allowed to go in this area because the fences were see through above 3ft high but we want to give it added security just in case a fox tries in desperation to get in over these fence panels. This fencing runs down a huge bank so fingers crossed it's not too difficult to fit the netting up OMG . If the job goes smoothly we will both be very happy that all I can say about it at the moment especially sitting here nursing my bad leg.

Thank you so much for your support everyone. It is making such a difference it really is, especially since I lost so many of my feathered friends in one go 4 months ago and was incredibly upset about it. Your encouragement is brilliant, that's what I like about our hen and duck thread. Although some of you do not keep hens and ducks it is so lovely that you are there for us hen and duck keepers supporting us along the way. Many thanks x

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    1 Duck called Hoppy Nine Lives. RIP Pingu
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • edwink
    • By edwink 17th Jul 19, 5:26 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    I love the thought of you both sitting chatting with Hoppy, yesterday while I was gardening I was talking to a baby Robin and a young very spotty blackbird, neither of which seemed to have learned to be cautious around human beans yet. They both kept coming back and getting within a couple of feet of me all afternoon, as and when I spotted them (head down weeding herbaceous border) I did my statue impressions and just loved their presence. They were later rewarded with several handfuls of dried meal worms as there are no worms to be found in my newly dug bits of soil.
    Originally posted by maddiemay

Such a lovely little story and it looks like you have made a couple of little feathered friends there maddiemay. They love it if someone is weeding and always hope for a worm or two but how nice to give them meal worms as there wasn't any. Two very lucky little birds I think . We have a couple of nearly tame Robins, not got them to come to my hand yet but I am working on it. As you say you have to stand like a statue and they can and will come very close. I'm sure if you give it time and of course treat them to more meal worms you will get them to come closer still. Do let us know how you get on with them.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 20th Jul 19, 4:32 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    We sat and had a lovely one sided chat this afternoon

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Jul 19, 9:33 PM
    • 32,133 Posts
    • 189,802 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Adorable! And there's a "listening" attitude as well! Bless
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jul 19, 10:55 PM
    • 8,801 Posts
    • 45,240 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    How's the fencing going edwink? I can't remember - is it September you get your new ladies?

Love the thought of you feeding the little Robin's maddiemay how cheery

Speaking of wildlife (although not of the feathery variety) we have a tiny hare that appears to have adopted our garden. It really is the cutest thing. We've seen it for the last three days, right up by the living room window. Such enormous ears

Feathery pals all present and correct here. We're trying to wean them off the daytime treats a little as they've basically started hanging round the back door constantly, mugging us whenever we try to go in or out little feathery hooligans

But other than that, all pretty ok. Slightly worried about Mildred, she's been grumpier than usual lately, delivering a swift peck to the others more often (she was always a bit like that though) and today I spotted her on a couple of occasions just sitting in odd places, like the long grass at the bottom of a tree, and the path to the back door.

Nothing I could really put my finger on, but seemed a tad out of sorts - I bit like I am if I've got toothache or something (I suppose that's the one thing I can rule out with chickens! )

Will keep an eye on her. Her pecking isn't causing any damage and the others seem to just accept it as a pecking order thing so we may just be being too sensitive but we'll see.

Maud wins today's Beakiness Award (a new institution that we invented this week awarded mostly for either cuteness or mild peskiness). I had sandals on again and most of them have learned that my toes (even if the nails are painted, usually blue) are NOT food, but Maud just couldn't leave them alone this evening, no matter how many times I chased her away she kept coming back
    Was planning on sitting and having a cuppa with them once we shut them in the run but I couldn't stand having my feet pecked so had to leave

Hope you're all getting on ok
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jul 19, 10:57 PM
    • 8,801 Posts
    • 45,240 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aarrgghh, stupid autocorrect, and now the darn thing won't let me edit - obviously I meant robins not Robin's
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 27th Jul 19, 8:17 AM
    • 32,133 Posts
    • 189,802 Thanks
    Karmacat
    My huge plant saucers being used as bird baths are a great success. I put piles of flat landscaping slate in them, so that any little creature/ insect can crawl out, but the birds are so enthusiastic that 2 or 3 slates of each bath are scattered far and wide
    Retired August 2016
    • edwink
    • By edwink 27th Jul 19, 8:53 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Fencing as such is finished Cheery but still have the netting to fix over some other fencing purely for extra security more than anything else to be honest. The rain has stopped us getting on with the job but to be honest both of us have enjoyed the rest from the work. It's not essential to get the netting fitted but I will be happier when it has been done. The hens and ducks as a rule don't go in to this area, they have done though over the past when we have been there but they have never been there on their own. It is secure but in light of the fox attack I don't trust any area now hence the reason for netting above the fencing even in areas we don't use a lot. Better to be safe than sorry I guess.

Love the idea of the slate for the insects Karmacat and your bird baths. I love watching the wild birds having a bath and flicking water everywhere, bless them.

Hoppy is doing ok and we continue to spend as much time with her as we can. To be honest she appears really happy and content on her own. I thought she would have some sadness maybe after Pingu went but if she is sad it certainly isn't obvious to us. She continues to eat well, washes every day, spends lots and lots of time preening her feathers and the rest of the time chilling out on the lawn or snoozing. We put obstacles on the lawn as we have Kites around here and it does worry me that one might swoop down on her as she is on her own. We just don't give any bird of prey anywhere to land near her. If we left the lawn as a wide open space I wouldn't trust a bird of prey not to try and land there.

Still plan on getting 20 rescue hens in September some time. Have chosen September as have other commitments before then and when getting new girls I do like to give them my undivided attention especially when war breaks out between them . Any problems always settle pretty quickly so I am never concerned about it and just step in if it gets a little rough. I am so happy we have made the decision to get some more hens and I can't wait to get them now.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 27-07-2019 at 9:13 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 28th Jul 19, 4:04 PM
    • 8,801 Posts
    • 45,240 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Pleased to hear Hoppy is doing ok edwink And that your fence is nearly ready!

So lovely to watch the little birds in the garden KC

Well, we have FINALLY taken the plunge and left our ladies alone overnight for the first time since we got them Yes, this is the first time in almost a year that Mr Cheery and I have been away overnight at the same time

Fairly spontaneous, we didn't leave til 6pm last night so the ladies were already in their run, we left plenty of food and water, and the little house door had to stay open, and we were back by 3pm today so they've had a couple of hours out this afternoon.

We were a bit nervous Especially as Mr Cheery saw a big fox just up the road the other day But even if we were here we wouldn't be able to do anything about a fox attack in the night - chances are we wouldn't even know. And the run is VERY secure now - 8 foot high with a roof, dug into the ground, quarter inch mesh all over (and reinforced with bigger mesh behind). So I HOPE they are safe in there

Anyway, they were fine of course, despite all our worrying, and leaving our friends early to get back and check

Except that Beaky's bare patch on her back (which is SLOWLY growing over) was bleeding Clearly *someone* has been indulging in some feather pecking... I did wonder whether that was why it wasn't growing back as quickly, but her wings have taken a long time to re-feather properly but they're well on the way now, and the back patch was getting smaller...

Anyway, *someone* (cough - I'm looking at you Mildred - cough) has actually caused her to bleed now

Sprayed her with the purple spray I'd bought, but which isn't actually purple spray, it's this stuff

Anti-pecking spray

Let's see whether that stops it long enough...

Of course it might not be Mildred, but she is by FAR the most inclined to give any of the others a swift peck for no good reason, and has been quite grumpy lately, jumping on the others occasionally for no reason that we can see.

Not sure what to do about it really - the others don't seem unduly bothered and she's not caused any injuries til now. We only left them alone for about 18 hours, most of which they would have been shut in their run overnight anyway!

Hey ho. Can hear one of them making a noise in the front porch now so suppose I'd better let her in for a bit of a nosey round
    • edwink
    • By edwink 28th Jul 19, 8:35 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Anyway, they were fine of course, despite all our worrying, and leaving our friends early to get back and check
    Except that Beaky's bare patch on her back (which is SLOWLY growing over) was bleeding Clearly *someone* has been indulging in some feather pecking... I did wonder whether that was why it wasn't growing back as quickly, but her wings have taken a long time to re-feather properly but they're well on the way now, and the back patch was getting smaller...

Anyway, *someone* (cough - I'm looking at you Mildred - cough) has actually caused her to bleed now

Sprayed her with the purple spray I'd bought, but which isn't actually purple spray, it's this stuff Anti-pecking spray

Let's see whether that stops it long enough...

Of course it might not be Mildred, but she is by FAR the most inclined to give any of the others a swift peck for no good reason, and has been quite grumpy lately, jumping on the others occasionally for no reason that we can see.

Not sure what to do about it really - the others don't seem unduly bothered and she's not caused any injuries til now. We only left them alone for about 18 hours, most of which they would have been shut in their run overnight anyway!
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Hi Cheery

Glad you managed to get away for a night. We were the same the first night we stayed away, OMG I just wanted to get home sharpish the following day. But, like yours they were fine. All they think about is food anyway so as long as they get something to eat I guess

The jumping on a hens back is for dominance purposes Cheery. If you think about it, it is exactly what a Cockerel will do to a hen not only to be rude to put it mildly but they often jump on a hens back just to tell them who is boss and that is exactly what one of your hens is doing to the other.

The spray you have used is absolutely fine. That one is like an instant spray tan for hens. Nothing better than having a Tangoed hen running around the place It will cover the redness over, stop the pecking and allows the sore to heal. If it starts to wear off you will need to spray her again to keep the sore area covered and the redness out of sight.

Hope that helps

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 28-07-2019 at 8:41 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 29th Jul 19, 1:03 PM
    • 8,801 Posts
    • 45,240 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks edwink The one we've got actually seems to be clear as far as I can tell. The bleeding had stopped yesterday though, but Beaky is VERY quiet today. They're all a bit subdued actually, I think in the heat, but Beaky seems quite out of sorts, just standing in a corner by herself, and then if treats are on offer she does come over, but is just walking about slowly rather than running and being boisterous as she normally is.

Hmm. I'm going to leave her for another hour or two, see if she perks up, and if she's still being listless, might bring her in, give her a bit of a bath and keep her quiet overnight and see if she perks up. We've had to do that a couple of times with Bessie at various points and the next day she's been fine (usually after laying a large jelly egg).

No idea whether the pecking has subdued Beaky, or she's tried to preen and some of the spray has got on her feathers and tastes vile and that's making her out of sorts?

Gosh they're such a worry sometimes!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 29th Jul 19, 4:10 PM
    • 8,801 Posts
    • 45,240 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Hmm. Beaky was just sitting outside the back door with her head tucked under her wing, so I've brought her inside. Tried to give her a bath - it worked with Bessie when she wasn't well - but she didn't seem too impressed at being in the water and perked up, trying to get back out...

Now I've got her in the study with me, nice and quiet. Put her in a basket with some bedding, and a little drink of water and some yogurt, but she just got straight back out again. Doesn't seem to want food or water, and is now just standing on the floor, head hunched in, looking like she feels sorry for herself (but I suppose that might be because I'm holding her captive in the house... )

Not much else I can do really! Going to stick the others in the run in half an hour, but I'm tempted to keep her in here given the recent pecking incident. Might see if she perks up later - if so I'll stick her in the house with the others once it goes dark.

Her crop feels quite full and relatively solid, tried massaging it a bit in the bath (which Bessie let me do, and which I think helped her) but she wasn't having any of it, and kept trying to move away and slipping in the water, so I stopped.

Poor little thing
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 29th Jul 19, 5:15 PM
    • 32,133 Posts
    • 189,802 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Is Beaky an ex-battery hen, Cheery? It strikes me that they're left with health problems aplenty after their time in batteries. Makes me more glad than ever that I always stayed with free range organic eggs, even during my own little financial crisis a few years ago.
    Here's hoping she's on the mend soon.
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 29th Jul 19, 8:09 PM
    • 8,801 Posts
    • 45,240 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    She is indeed KC and she never regained all her feathers (although we've only had her 5 months but the others have grown all their feathers back). She's getting there though

She stayed in the study with me just stood quietly in a corner for a bit, then I went to put the others in the run and she didn't follow me so I left the door to the house open so she could get out if she wanted.

Mr Cheery was carrying stuff in and out with a friend though, so he pulled the study door shut so she didn't trip him up. When I opened it again she marched out, most perturbed at being shut in, and followed me up to the run no bother. Checked after about an hour and her and two others were tucked up in bed (already, at 7pm!) Rusty and Mildred still pottering about in the run mind you...

Just off out to shut their little door and fingers crossed a restful night will do them all good...
    • edwink
    • By edwink 29th Jul 19, 9:16 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi Cheery

I'm sorry one of your little girls is not feeling too good. Sometimes if they are getting picked on pretty badly they will wander off on their own almost hide away from the others. But, that may or maybe nothing to do with how she is currently feeling.

Would you be able to get hold of her in the morning and check to see if her crop is totally empty?. After a day of feeding and foraging their crop is always full before bedtime, not actually rock hard as such but quite full. Their little bodies will digest that food during the night and in the morning their crops should be empty and quite soft, almost like it is deflated.

Can you do that Cheery and let me know what the score is with her crop? then we can take it from there.

If she is wanders off on her own tomorrow maybe best to take her indoors and just keep her quiet and just allow her to rest. Like before with some water and a little something to eat. Could try her on a little scrambled egg, normally that would be a treat for them but would be interesting to know if she gobbles that down or not. Don't give her any scrambled egg if her crop is full in the morning Cheery, just leave her quietly with some water and we can take it from there. I'll help you deal with it if her crop is full ok, try not to worry x

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 29-07-2019 at 9:18 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 29th Jul 19, 9:51 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Is Beaky an ex-battery hen, Cheery? It strikes me that they're left with health problems aplenty after their time in batteries. Makes me more glad than ever that I always stayed with free range organic eggs, even during my own little financial crisis a few years ago.
    Here's hoping she's on the mend soon.
    Originally posted by Karmacat

You are right, they are left with health problems. I had one with a serious health problem with my very first 12 ex-batts. I sorted it and got her better but it did take some time, a lot of worrying and a lot of patience with her.

The trouble is these ex-battery hens are not really cared for at all, not in the way they should be and certainly not in a humane way. When I collected my very first 12 hens I was left heartbroken seeing the way some of them were so soon after coming out of those horrible little cages. Some were literately bald, just a few feathers maybe on their tail or a few around their neck and that's it feather wise. Some have Awfully long claws that make their little feet turn inwards which makes walking so difficult for them. I could go on but I won't because it really isn't pleasant.

Well done on the Organic Freerange eggs I will happily send you some eggs when I get my new hens, seriously I will. You might be giggling thinking oh my god you can't put eggs in the post but you can and I did. I sent a dozen eggs to a friend in Wales. Guess what?, None of them were cracked, broken or smashed to bits. Seriously each one of the 12 eggs arrived in perfect condition. The fact that it took me 3 hours to wrap them is neither here nor there but at the end of the day Royal Mail certainly took care of that parcel on its 240 mile journey to Wales.

Edwink x
    Last edited by edwink; 29-07-2019 at 9:56 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 29th Jul 19, 10:22 PM
    • 8,801 Posts
    • 45,240 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw bless you sending eggs in the post edwink

I'll check her crop in the morning, thank you for all your support it was pretty full today but as you say, that's to be expected. Will check her in the morning. Hopefully she's just gobbled down one too many treats and has a bit of indigestion!
    • edwink
    • By edwink 29th Jul 19, 10:53 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Aw bless you sending eggs in the post edwink

I'll check her crop in the morning, thank you for all your support it was pretty full today but as you say, that's to be expected. Will check her in the morning. Hopefully she's just gobbled down one too many treats and has a bit of indigestion!
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    If her crop is empty in the morning as it should be, only give her pellets and some green veg stuff but nothing else. You may need to do the same for all the others in case she tries to get to some of their food. Chopped grass (not long grass), cress, cabbage, finely chopped courgette that sort of thing. She may be struggling to digest her food properly as it goes all the way through her digestive system. Treat type foods may have made her system a little sluggish, I say may because it could well not be the problem. Mine had treats all the time so don't blame yourself Cheery for spoiling them if that turns out to be the problem. I certainly spoilt mine each and every day.

Another thing Cheery, have you noticed any weight change with her? Has she lost weight?. Is she getting to the food ok?. If she is being picked on by another hen she may not be getting to the food as she should be. If this is the case she may have eaten way too many in one go once she was able to get some. Is she drinking ok?.

See how she is in the morning, bless her x

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 29-07-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 30th Jul 19, 7:13 AM
    • 8,801 Posts
    • 45,240 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Morning, thanks for all your advice edwink

She hopped out of the house first this morning, and seemed ok but quiet, took herself for a big drink of water. Her crop is still quite full - although not as full as last night - so that may well be the problem.

They're all off roaming round now but there are plenty of pellets out for them, and I just won't give any of them treats today so let's see how she gets on... Probably do them all good to have a day without treats. We are rather free and easy with them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

35Posts Today

3,963Users online

Martin's Twitter