Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 4:07 PM
    • 2,215Posts
    • 14,387Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 4:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 4:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 5:36 PM.
Page 113
    • edwink
    • By edwink 22nd Jun 19, 3:53 AM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Ooh, missed your picture there edwink, how lovely!

All cheerful here the ladies were not impressed to be shut back in their run at 11.30 yesterday morning and left there til this morning but we had to go to another city and weren't back til nearly midnight so no choice really. I did remind them they used to be confined to tiny cages and that their run is palatial in comparison and contains everything a chicken needs...

Rusty disgraced herself yesterday by doing a giant poo on the sofa it was bound to happen eventually
    Well, she's now had her sofa privileges revoked in fact they've all had their carpet privileges revoked

Oh, and Mr Cheery found their new nesting spots the other day.... 10 eggs in a pile in a different bush (I"d been checking the old favourite) and another 15 in an outbuilding so today"s job is to wipe all the mud off and check for freshness and then I suppose have omelettes for every meal for the rest of the week
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Ah but Cheery did you spot the duck in that pic?. I put a spot the hen on here quite a while ago but have been trying to find that pic to put on here again.

I am sure they are quite happy in their coop Cheery. I know myself what it is like to get them out of a morning but need to put them back in for their safety if we were due back late. At least you know they are safe in there and you can go out and not have to worry about them. Mine used to be so naughty I had to bribe them back in with sweetcorn and cucumber then get out and shut the door quick

Aww bless little Rusty, I'm sure she didn't mean to do it. Probably was so comfy on the sofa she didn't get off quick enough Believe it or not we have never had a present left on a sofa, the floor yes but the sofa no. We don't have any carpets on the ground floor so can easily be cleaned up and then have a mop, thankfully

Blimey that's a huge haul of eggs to find, no wonder you are eating them for breakfast, lunch, supper and midnight feasts

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 22-06-2019 at 4:04 AM.
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    1 Duck called Hoppy Nine Lives. RIP Pingu
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 22nd Jun 19, 8:26 AM
    • 32,133 Posts
    • 189,802 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Edwink, I'm looking at that timestamp and thinking ... ouch! Unless your job is on shiftwork, which is still ouch, but ... you getting enough sleep? Your beautiful birds need you! We do too, come to that
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • edwink
    • By edwink 22nd Jun 19, 8:55 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Edwink, I'm looking at that timestamp and thinking ... ouch! Unless your job is on shiftwork, which is still ouch, but ... you getting enough sleep? Your beautiful birds need you! We do too, come to that
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Aww bless you Karmacat x No I'm probably not getting enough sleep in all honesty because I sleep very badly at times due to Spondylosis and I am currently waiting to have my normal 10 injections in my back. I also worry at the moment about Pingu and Hoppy and still nip out in the dark with a torch to check on them hubby does too up to about midnight but I do it during the night still We still keep our back windows open too just in case. Unfortunately the fox attack has really worried us and we are both finding it hard to relax again, especially me I am sure it will get easier over time though

Edwink xx

ETA..... Did you spot the duck in my pic?
    Last edited by edwink; 22-06-2019 at 9:00 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 22nd Jun 19, 9:15 PM
    • 32,133 Posts
    • 189,802 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Aww bless you Karmacat x No I'm probably not getting enough sleep in all honesty because I sleep very badly at times due to Spondylosis and I am currently waiting to have my normal 10 injections in my back. I also worry at the moment about Pingu and Hoppy and still nip out in the dark with a torch to check on them hubby does too up to about midnight but I do it during the night still We still keep our back windows open too just in case. Unfortunately the fox attack has really worried us and we are both finding it hard to relax again, especially me I am sure it will get easier over time though

Edwink xx
    Originally posted by edwink
    I hope you both get that greater relaxation really soon, Edwink, you must be exhausted.

No, I didn't and I looked pretty carefully do tell!
    Retired August 2016
    • edwink
    • By edwink 23rd Jun 19, 1:15 AM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink

No, I didn't and I looked pretty carefully do tell!
    If you look to the right of the red Lollo Rosso lettuce plant and right behind the chives, she is sitting there. It's a very young Hoppy sitting in my herb garden. You might spot her beak first as that is again right at the back of the chive plant but slightly left of the centre of it. Cayuga ducks are black so she is not easy to see and I only noticed her there because she quacked. Can you see her?

I must try and find the pic of my hen that was hard to see.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 23-06-2019 at 1:19 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 23rd Jun 19, 8:33 AM
    • 8,801 Posts
    • 45,240 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw bless you edwink xxx So hard not to worry about our little beaky pals xxx

I did indeed spot the duck Am fast developing a knack for spotting hidden poultry

The ladies have been 'helping' me to rake the grass cuttings this morning (it's more like hay actually, it was so long and I cut it with a scythe ) Of course, I rake it into a pile, and they spread it all back out again But I can't deprive them of a bit of fun
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 23rd Jun 19, 9:41 AM
    • 32,133 Posts
    • 189,802 Thanks
    Karmacat
    If you look to the right of the red Lollo Rosso lettuce plant and right behind the chives, she is sitting there. It's a very young Hoppy sitting in my herb garden. You might spot her beak first as that is again right at the back of the chive plant but slightly left of the centre of it. Cayuga ducks are black so she is not easy to see and I only noticed her there because she quacked. Can you see her?
    Found her! Had to enlarge the page twice, I must say thats fantastic camouflage.
    I'm off to a local Open Gardens this afternoon - it'll be interesting to see if any of them have chickens or ducks. The village has a *huge* pond, with two aerators recently installed, as well as a filter. The filter has a grille on top, and the ducks have taken to sitting on top of it - its right by the pavement, so you get a great view of them. One corner of the pond is very shallow, right by some seats, and the ducklings (and the ducks) often congregate there. I've taken photos of the ducklings with the carp underneath cruising for leftover breadcrumbs, they're twice the size of the ducks, let alone the ducklings. A heron visits regularly too.
    Retired August 2016
    • edwink
    • By edwink 25th Jun 19, 3:34 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Found her! Had to enlarge the page twice, I must say thats fantastic camouflage.
    I'm off to a local Open Gardens this afternoon - it'll be interesting to see if any of them have chickens or ducks. The village has a *huge* pond, with two aerators recently installed, as well as a filter. The filter has a grille on top, and the ducks have taken to sitting on top of it - its right by the pavement, so you get a great view of them. One corner of the pond is very shallow, right by some seats, and the ducklings (and the ducks) often congregate there. I've taken photos of the ducklings with the carp underneath cruising for leftover breadcrumbs, they're twice the size of the ducks, let alone the ducklings. A heron visits regularly too.
    I had no idea she was there at the time. I was cutting some chives in the other herb bed I have and all of a sudden she let out a loud quack but I couldn't see where she was. I kept on looking for her going between each of the herb beds and the flower pots on the steps in between and still couldn't see her until she quacked right next to me and that's when I finally spotted her. So definitely not easy to find I agree. We have a Heron around here that visits our pond quite regular. I go up and get the girls out and boy does he/she make me jump when he takes off. It's surprising how wide their wingspan is when you are close up to them. Super looking birds I must say.

Hope you had a nice time at the Open Gardens the other day. Those carp sound huge I must say. Think I would worry about the ducklings although saying that I have never heard of a Carp attacking duckling.

I have a photo of Pingu when she was so tiny at 10 weeks old. I'll have a look on my laptop to see if I can find it but I don't think it is very clear to post on here. I see how it looks though.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 25-06-2019 at 3:37 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 25th Jun 19, 4:07 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Pingu at 10 weeks old - Sorry not a very clear photo x

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 25th Jun 19, 4:33 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    As the thread is quiet lets play spot the hen

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 25th Jun 19, 4:52 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    How many hens are in this picture?

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 25th Jun 19, 4:54 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Our resident robin having a free breakfast

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 5th Jul 19, 5:50 AM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    How is everyone and your feathered friends? All harmony in the camp I hope.

Pingu and Hoppy are doing ok here and are still being supervised whilst out and about. They are currently spending a lot of time out of the coop as we are busy outside blocking one of the tall hedges, the one the fox leapt through when my hubby chased him/her out. There is chain link fencing there at the moment so we are adding additional support and height by fixing 6ft 6 wooden fencing to the front of it so slightly higher than it was before. Hopefully this will be safer for Pingu and Hoppy and also save us from having to maintain the front of this hedge every year leaving just the top exposed which is currently 7ft.5 high. How the fox jumped through it and above the chain link fencing I'll never know but he/she did, with difficulty I might add because the hedge is so dense but he/she got through it all the same. It's a very time consuming job because we are recycling the old fencing that was taken down from the other side and adapting it so it now sits higher than it once did. We managed to attach 3 long sections yesterday and reached the area where the fox leapt through the hedge which I'm very pleased about. We blocked it securely after the fox leapt through it but the fencing we are attaching now is permanently blocking the area. I'll add some pics later to show you what I am waffling about.

Who spotted the hen in the picture with the pile of leaves? and who managed to count the correct amount of hens in the wooded area picture?. The first picture is not too hard but the other one with all the hens in is not easy so I'm interested to know who got that one right.

Right enough of my waffle, I'm ready for a cuppa and it's time to get back to the fencing.

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 06-07-2019 at 3:03 AM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 10th Jul 19, 3:27 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi all

I have come to realise that the fencers that recently erected over 200ft of fencing for us absolutely deserve what they charged us. As some will know on here hubby and I are using some of the old fencing that was taken down not only so it is reused elsewhere but we are currently blocking a very dense hedge with it. The hedge you may remember that the fox climbed through when hubby chased him out one day. Anyway as our land slopes it has not made it easy for us to fix this fencing up at all, in fact we have nearly given up on the job several times already. So far we have fitted 4 sections at the top end of the hedge which took us 2 days to do but had difficulty getting that straight so have abandoned that end in favour of doing the other end that does not slope. Today we have spent the best part of 5 hours fitting 3 lots at the other end of the hedge and we are very happy with how that has turned out and thankfully it has motivated us more as it went so well today.

The hedge we are blocking is around 100ft in length and we have probably fitted around 40ft of fencing so far although I am guessing that we might tackle the top section again as that didn't go too well last week.

I am sure the fencers that were previously here would have had the job done and dusted by now. It would have probably taken them a couple of days I guess to complete the whole lot. So at 280 a day for both of them it may well have been 560 well spent. But, instead we are doing the job in between other jobs that need doing and it could be another week before we are finally finished. I suppose once it is all done we will be happy with ourselves that we saved all of that money by tackling the job ourselves. At the moment though it is feeling like an absolute chore and is taking us ages but I suppose we are getting there. I dread trying to match the fencing up height wise when we finally meet up with the first lot we erected that we are both not happy with.

We reckon we will have it done by the middle of next week or just after that as I won't be able to continue to do it myself whilst hubby is at work. So progress is being made albeit very slowly

We are planning on getting 20 rescue hens around September time and before then just keep adding to the security we have in place already. Still can not believe that after 10 years with all the security we had that the fox took his/hers chance and got in. Security was very high anyway knowing that foxes were about and adding to that security almost appears over the top but we don't what the same to happen again, ever.

All for now

Edwink
    Last edited by edwink; 10-07-2019 at 3:29 PM.

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jul 19, 3:58 PM
    • 32,133 Posts
    • 189,802 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow, edwink - it just goes to show, doesn't it, what hard work that kind of thing is - but your security is going to be absolutely tip top when you do get your next hens. And you're getting 20!!! They don't know how lucky they are

I was in my village again the other day, the ducklings are getting quite big - though something's got a couple of them, even though the duck house is on an island in the middle of the pond The koi carp in the same pond are still swimming just underneath the ducklings, its amazing to see
    Retired August 2016
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 10th Jul 19, 10:20 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 2,741 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Doubt it will be right but are there 12 hens in the pic?
    • edwink
    • By edwink 10th Jul 19, 11:37 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Doubt it will be right but are there 12 hens in the pic?
    Originally posted by MysteryMe
    Well done, that's pretty close

Anyone else want to have a go before I give out the answer?

I'll post the pic again for those that maybe missed it.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 10th Jul 19, 11:39 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink

How many hens are in the above picture?

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jul 19, 8:14 AM
    • 32,133 Posts
    • 189,802 Thanks
    Karmacat
    How many hens are in the above picture?
    I make it ten in fact, until I pressed the quote button, I could only see nine it's a whizz of a picture, edwink
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Jul 19, 11:08 AM
    • 8,801 Posts
    • 45,240 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I'm going with 11

Really pleased you're getting some more hens edwink! And 20, gosh! Lucky, lucky hens Very impressed with all your fencing efforts too

All good with our ladies here. We are having rather an egg hunt round here at the minute, as our ladies have abandoned their habitual egg-laying spots and are experimenting with new ones. Mr Cheery found about 15 eggs in the back of an outbuilding not so long ago, and another 10 in a bush, and yesterday I spotted Beaky hightailing it to a long bit of grass behind the house - followed at a discrete distance and when she'd finished, found 4 eggs in a little cluster...

This morning when I opened the house there were 2 eggs in there, but Beaky shot out like she'd been clearly saving up her egg (do they do that? Mine apparently do!) and ran off to her favoured spot, and I also watched Bessie clucking her way to the top of what we call Chicken Mountain (a kind of bank of overgrown grass) so I'll have to go and investigate there in a bit.

All five of them currently menacing Mr Cheery while he prepares the strimmer - one perching on the handle, one standing on the line he's trying to feed in Don't worry - he won't be starting it til he's well away from them, and the strimmer is the one garden implement they don't follow round! They do like pecking the strimmed grass off his trousers when he's finished though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

27Posts Today

4,133Users online

Martin's Twitter