Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Nov 14, 10:48 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    Preparing for Winter V
    • 26th Nov 14, 10:48 AM
    Preparing for Winter V 26th Nov 14 at 10:48 AM

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you've come through to this discussion from this week's email, welcome to the MSE Forum. You've joined our Old Style MoneySaving forumites chatting about how to prepare for winter.

Read below, read the last few pages of the discussion to see their most recent posts and click "reply" to join in. If you haven’t already joined join the forum to reply.

Back to zippychick's original post...

-----

Hi everyone,

As the last 'preparing for winter' thread has now grown quite long, I think it's time for a new one, and what better time of year to begin to prepare than the end of November

So here goes....a shiny new thread. Please post below all your preparations for winter. If you want to read through the tips on the older threads you can find them here:

Preparing for Winter

Preparing for winter II

Preparing for winter III

Preparing for winter IV

Other links that may help:

the ice man cometh! (merged with keeping warm)

Things that worked or didn't work last winter

Frugal but happy in winter?

Winter checklist

Lets hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 11-10-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 155
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 19th Jun 19, 6:02 AM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 7,813 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi LL
    I’ve got a pair of Clark’s boots I bought years ago in the sale. Well worth keeping a look out in summer. I buy most of my winter stuff in summer and vice versa.
    Cuddles
    2019 Grocery Spend 904.87/2000
    August grocery spend 61.47
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 19th Jun 19, 6:21 AM
    • 6,921 Posts
    • 45,257 Thanks
    Pooky
    I always Pavers Boots, (we have an outlet store fairly locally so I check for them in the sales) there's a range they do called "relief" which have the gel cushions in the pressure points. The comfiest boots ever (for me anyway) They always have a good range of styles in ankle, calf and knee length. I walk a lot too so finding something that lasts and is warm and comfy is a must.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 19th Jun 19, 6:22 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    pattypan4
    I have all these lovely summer dresses I made last year, they are still rolled up in a drawer. I haven`t even worn a skirt yet, still in trousers. I am washing bedding today, whoops I will probably have to use my tumble dryer

So yesterday I virtually went past where I buy my winter fuel and could not help myself, filled the boot, included more kiln dried logs. Prices are only going to go up never down. So now I have at least 150 days worth of fuel for the multi fuel stove. Stashed in a neat row along the inside garage wall, covered now with a pretty throw and I would hardly know it was there. I have ordered a flue thermometer, to get the correct burning temperature, being a novice

Oh this weather is so frustrating and not good for our health and cheerfulness
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Jun 19, 6:44 AM
    • 13,451 Posts
    • 184,067 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hotter shoes and boots are my choice, they are just so comfortable and seem to last for a very long time. Not cheap to buy but they often have a buy two get one free offer/or buy two and get one half price on shoes and boots so my daughter and I team up and buy a pair each and whichever of us needs the third pair gets it for half price or nothing. I like their shops, the staff are always helpful and we have size 8 and size 9 foot sizes respectively so it's not always easy to find well fitting and comfortable shoes in those sizes that are also nice styles but they can usually find us something or they will order in to the shop in your size or even get the shoes sent to your home if you need that to be the case.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 19th Jun 19, 3:32 PM
    • 11,829 Posts
    • 82,129 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I always try to buy clothes out of season, that's when you grab the bargains. One of Charity shops was selling winter coats. I bought 3, 7 the lot. One still had tags on.

It's probably a good time to buy winter boots, knitwear etc. And of course, fuel for burners is cheaper too in summer so if you have got the space then definitely start stocking up now.

I have noticed that some shops have been reducing this years summer clothing stock too, they obviously aren't selling much this weather.
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 20th Jun 19, 10:49 AM
    • 191 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    pattypan4
    Argh the sun has come and gone and 2 tops on hangers have partly dried outside, now hanging on door frames because big heavy drops of rain are happening and due to last 4 hours. With that came the temperature drop and I have to change my top for a jumper because my arms and neck are too cool
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 20th Jun 19, 1:41 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    pattypan4
    it is absolutely torrential and the sky is black. There will be floods
    • Lucy5781
    • By Lucy5781 20th Jun 19, 2:34 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 3,449 Thanks
    Lucy5781
    We're in the middle of having an extension done on the back of the house before a kitchen and bathroom refit. Have lost use of my tumble dryer (with two kids under three...) and drying indoors has been awful as it's not cold enough to have the heating on but the air is often still damp! We're also having a garden office built so no where in the garden to dry outside even on a day without rain! Not to mention having nowhere outside for the kids to play.

Extension will have under floor heating when done.
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: 16,000+ Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: 13,023
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 16th Jul 19, 3:59 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 679 Thanks
    pattypan4
    I know, summer has just started and I am one month into octopus energy from BG, with an estimated direct debit. I am 40 surpus this month plus the initial month= 117 surplus. Tbh I am quite happy, knowing that I can go into winter not fretting about whether I turn the heating on or not. I have also fully stocked with logs etc, enough for the whole winter even assuming that it is a very bad winter. Nothing else to think about tbh, I feel sorted
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th Jul 19, 3:30 PM
    • 13,451 Posts
    • 184,067 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It might be worth checking charity shops at this time of year for heavy winter coats at vastly reduced prices, the shop I volunteer in is having a stock room sort out and putting out lovely heavy wool coats at silly prices to get rid of them as they've not been in demand for a few months. This is also the time of year to check out jumpers and cardigans etc. there too as we're also selling those off at silly prices. I'm always astonished at the nice quality of things that are donated, usually almost or actually new and still with tags on! be warm this winter, take advantage of the offers if you find them.

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 18th Jul 19, 7:04 PM
    • 6,921 Posts
    • 45,257 Thanks
    Pooky
    Can't remember the last time I brought a winter coat full price - do love a charity shop bargain.

We move in 4 days and have the plumber coming to quote for a new boiler and the chimney people coming to quote for a stove installation a few days later. Want that sorted ASAP. We still have some logs from our open fire all stacked in bags in the garage so they'll be coming with us to help ease the expense for the first month. Can not wait!!

Hoping that we can make this bungalow really cosy before winter sets in.
    • nicki
    • By nicki 19th Jul 19, 2:21 PM
    • 7,293 Posts
    • 88,403 Thanks
    nicki
    I've just ordered some C0mmand hooks so I can put a material blind on my kitchen door window, and I'm going to be looking at putting a net/new blind up at the window as well as our 'new' neighbours have a kids trampoline (which based on the past 2 weeks they'll be out playing on in hail rain sleet or snow) so although we didn't have total privacy we have even less now and I hate being watched while trying to wash up etc.

Talking material, I'm doing lots of sewing projects atm. Primarily I'm making blankets/American style quilts to go on the beds for that horrible "too cold without, but too hot with a quilt" stage out of old clothing But I'm also going to be lining DS's new curtains as you can see through them atm, switching my curtains out to his old ones (just got to sew some new curtain tape on - it had vintage single row stuff which meant I lost about 3" of material to a frill thing. Not my taste at all), turn some black netting I got on clearance (and in a sale ) into a net for his bedroom so he can have more privacy, and all the off cuts I'm producing which are too small to use in a scrap quilt is being kept and will be turned into draught excluder's, and stuffing for door stops etc. I'm also going to look into making a rag rug or two for the kitchen to stand on while washing up and cooking. To buy a washable one to fit would be about 36 (kitchen is so small, two separate door mat style ones would look stupid) so I'm going to have a go making one

Landlady is still trying to find someone to do our bathroom. I need to chase the latest builder who came out to give a quote, and I also need to chase the man who is supposed to be fitting our new front door Both blokes have said (to me at least) they can't understand the landlady when she speaks (she's Chinese) so she's started giving me the numbers to chase them up. Not fun when my anxiety means that some days I just can't use the phone.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 19th Jul 19, 11:16 PM
    • 5,137 Posts
    • 48,657 Thanks
    Frith
    Work on the “new” wood burning stove continues. I’m buying the parts (chimney, register plate etc) as and when I can afford them.

The new stove was a replacement Morso squirrel as the old one had cracked down the back after 30+ years. The new one was 180 off EBay.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Jul 19, 4:34 PM
    • 13,451 Posts
    • 184,067 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    We've the sweep coming on Friday next to sweep our chimney from the new wood burner for the first time, this is when we see if we're running it properly! We're gradually bringing up the tail end of last years wood from the bin downstairs to the bigger bin upstairs which will then be full and we'll order in at least one load of logs to sit and dry for the next burning season.

The charity shop I volunteer in is having a stock sort and putting out winter weight coats and woollies for very small prices as they've been taking up room we desperately need on the rails in the stock room for too long so I'm going to keep an eye open for a long heavy coat and some good heavy over jumpers , big baggy ones to be the top layer in the really cold weather and keep me warm enough to possibly run the stove later in the day than we currently have been. We only run the central heating to heat the water anyway so I'm used to a cooler house but an extra layer to snuggle in will be very nice and help lots.

• silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 20th Jul 19, 6:01 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 3,788 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Thanks for reminding me of getting the sweep in. In 4 visits he's only had to sweep once, and that was more a precaution as I burn dry and never slumber. Probably a good idea if I have another precautionary sweep this year even if it looks good.

Down the bottom of the garden I must have about 3 year's supply: a store full of splits ready for this winter, a covered stack which needs splitting next spring and a head high pile in a corner. I thought there was no space but someone offered two carloads of ash..

I just need to get a few pallets in to start my kindling store going. Last year I only used about 1000kWh of gas so it's nice to have such small bills, and all the wood is scrounged. Whilst the weather is nice I'll also sit in the sun and sharpen my chains for the saw.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 21st Jul 19, 5:25 AM
    • 6,921 Posts
    • 45,257 Thanks
    Pooky
    To those of you with log burners, how have you had your fire opening finished? I'm not keen on the painted plaster finish (does it get mucky behind the stove and need repainting often?) not sure if tiles are worth the investment (although easy to wipe down), I like the look of a brick finish but know that might not be possible (unless we go for slips, anyone tried them?) and what about the hearth, what's easiest to clean? I'd appreciate some suggestions.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 21st Jul 19, 8:04 AM
    • 13,368 Posts
    • 226,889 Thanks
    greenbee
    I have lime render around my burner, in an off-white colour. It's fine - the odd dirty mark doesn't show, and it's pretty close to the paint colour of the rest of the room.

My last hearth was slate, which marked badly. This one is marble (old wash stand top!) and also marks, but it was free and I like the colour. Terracotta tiles worked well, and my brother has limestone which is good once sealed. Round here it's difficult to get anything other than black slate or black granite as those seem to be the current fashion.

I have friends who have patterned ceramic tiles in the opening which look very dramatic, but it all depends on your decorating style.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 21st Jul 19, 11:22 AM
    • 5,137 Posts
    • 48,657 Thanks
    Frith
    Pooky - I have an old cottage so it’s just a bare brick finish. It’s a long but not very deep inglenook.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • Frith
    • By Frith 21st Jul 19, 11:23 AM
    • 5,137 Posts
    • 48,657 Thanks
    Frith
    Should have said the red quarry tile floor in the living room just carries on under the stove.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • maryb
    • By maryb 21st Jul 19, 1:22 PM
    • 4,006 Posts
    • 49,668 Thanks
    maryb
    Painted white alcove and black granite hearth. We don't put logs beside the stove so the walls stay clean. The hearth is smooth and easy to sweep and I just wipe it over with a damp cloth before dipping the cloth in the ash to clean the stove glass
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

2,440Users online

Martin's Twitter