how many people will a 2.4kg topside joint feed??

Hi guys!

I have 6 adults and 2 children to feed for on boxing day and tesco's are doing beef topside joints at half price per kg so i can get a 2.4kg joint for £14.

Ive googled the above question but i cannot find anything! :o

3 of the adults are big blokes who are good eaters and the other 3 are me, (normal eater) my mum (small eater) and my pregnant sis in law (not sure how much she's eating! she's due in couple of weeks)

so do you guys reckon this will be enough?

thanks for any help! and merry christmas! :)

Comments

• pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    When I cook beef for hubby and I, I usually buy a 700-800g joint, but that's slightly too big really. We're greedy with it. :) So in theory yours would comfortably feed 6. With 6 and 2 kids it should be fine. Do plenty of spuds and veg. :)
  • I would say slice it thin, and do lots of veggies, I always do roast spuds, mashed spuds, roast parsnips and roast sweet potato, that soon fills them up....and make some yorkie puds...lots of, which will also fill gaps!!
    Getting fit for 2013 - Starting weight 10.1.13 88.1kg
    Weight 27.3.13 79.1kg :( weight 2.4.13 79.9kg Weight 24.4.13 77.8kg. 4.6.13 76kg

BSC member 331
  • you could always plate the meat in the kitchen and just put the veg on the table..that way you control the portion size, you can always let them know if you have some left to speak up if they'd like seconds!
    Weight 27.3.13 79.1kg :( weight 2.4.13 79.9kg Weight 24.4.13 77.8kg. 4.6.13 76kg

BSC member 331
  • thanks guys!

yes defo do lots of veg! i'll do root mash, leeks in cheese sauce, carrots, peas, broccoli, roasties, yorkshires, sausage meat stuffing and i think thats it!

I cook a roast every week for my little family of three but im a bit worried about making enough and how i'll do everything on my 4 ring gas burner!!

can i boil pots the day before and keep for the roasting the following day??

or any other tips you have! cheers peeps!

• themull1
    themull1 Posts: 4,299 Forumite
    Get two joints and freeze whats not eaten, you want too much rather than not enough!!
  • you could roast the spuds the day before and just warm them through on the day...same with cheesy leeks

BSC member 331
  • will do thanks guys!

i was going to get a 1.7kg joint first off! i though it would be enough! d'oh!!
  • suewoo
    suewoo Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tips for meals - taught to me by a lovely friend in Derbyshire at least 30 years ago - and used all the time since. Prepare and cook your veg the night before. Steam or boil green veg, anything really, just as you like it but still slightly crisp and, in the case of greens, nice and bright green. Parsnips or mashed veg. Then quickly arrange on serving dish and cover with microwave-suitable clingfilm. Put in a cool place but don't refrigerate. Make sure you keep all that lovely cooking water for the gravy. Then, on the day, when you have carved your meat, or whatever you are having, pop the serving dishes of veg in the microwave for 3 - 3.5 minutes each, take out and keep covered until all are done. Then remove cling film and carry lovely hot, fresh veg through to the table! No washing of saucepans or hob space taken up. No steamy kitchen. Fantastic - and works every time! Kitchen is tidy, veg are super!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure