Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    kimmy112
    0 WOW
    bodyshop freebies
    • 4th Nov 09, 7:08 PM
    0 WOW
    bodyshop freebies 4th Nov 09 at 7:08 PM
    i was in body shop today and they have a poster on the till front about free samples and it said to ask, so i did and they said i could choose any of the try me things and they would put some in to pots for me, and they are nice pots too not cheap ones, ones you can reuse

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert 2012:

MoneySavers on the forum are saying they've spotted samples can be had in shops such as Body Shop and Lush. If you manage to grab some too, help other MoneySavers by reporting where.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 25-01-2016 at 12:54 PM.
    MAY FREEBIESFree Jar of Sharwoods Sauce.10 Argos gift card. Picture Hanging Strips. Fairy WUL. Live Mealworms. Hipp Preggy bits. Perfume. Lipton Tea x3. Pack of snack a jacks. Genome fridge magnets. Fuel Rights Book.
Page 3
    • Chia
    • By Chia 24th Nov 09, 7:25 AM
    • 274 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Chia

I don't know much about L'oreal taking over but people have to remember that Body Shop does a lot more good for the environment and community than most other companies.....Keep it in mind.
    x
    Originally posted by Lovesavinmoney+theplanet
    Wow, I can't believe you posted that. WHY don't you know much about L'oreal taking over? I guess what I said about Nestle causing the deaths of children did not even alarm you enough to do a little Googling. Are you trying to avoid finding out more because you're afraid it might bother you, or do you straight up not care at all?
  • Queen of NO MATTER WHAT
    Wow, I can't believe you posted that. WHY don't you know much about L'oreal taking over? I guess what I said about Nestle causing the deaths of children did not even alarm you enough to do a little Googling. Are you trying to avoid finding out more because you're afraid it might bother you, or do you straight up not care at all?
    Originally posted by Chia
    I don't think it's any of your business what the posters values are or whether they care about the things you do or not.

This thread is about the fact that bodyshop samples can be obtained from stores, not about the ethical values of the company. Too many threads on various forums on MSE get hijacked by people who want to push their values on others.
    *wonders when they will make dressing gowns acceptable day wear?*

No new toiletries challenge - use up the stash first!

NSD Jan 2/15
    • DaveW007
    • By DaveW007 24th Nov 09, 9:47 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    DaveW007
    Can you use the banana shampoo towards your 5 a day?
    Wins - 2012: Essential Elvis Subscription, 25 x 4 litre bags of Sophisticat Aloe Vera Cat Litter, Doro PhoneEasy 410gsm, Staples Eco-Bag, 120ml of Zoflora disinfectant

2013: 2 x tickets to see Donny & Marie Osmond in Cardiff, The New Recruit by Andy McNab, The Cat magazine (Spring edition), Philips Colours Factory Head Light Bar
    • Chia
    • By Chia 24th Nov 09, 12:56 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    Chia
    I don't think it's any of your business what the posters values are or whether they care about the things you do or not.

This thread is about the fact that bodyshop samples can be obtained from stores, not about the ethical values of the company. Too many threads on various forums on MSE get hijacked by people who want to push their values on others.
    Originally posted by Queen of NO MATTER WHAT
    This is not about pushing my values on others (although I know that caring about human life is a pretty radical value to hold! controversial!), so nice try at putting me in my place, but better luck next time.

This is about people telling other people about the activities that large corporations take so much care to hide, so that consumers may make more informed choices according to their own values, not mine. I objected to the fact that the Body Shop employee had the gall to read my post and then say that she doesn't know much about L'oreal but the Body Shop must be A-OK because according to her they do more for the environment &c than "most companies".

I will object whenever I see people promoting ignorance and illogic, and I will call them on it. If you're bothered by that kind of thing, then I'm afraid an internet forum may not be the place for you.
  • twinkle06_123
    This is not about pushing my values on others (although I know that caring about human life is a pretty radical value to hold! controversial!), so nice try at putting me in my place, but better luck next time.

This is about people telling other people about the activities that large corporations take so much care to hide, so that consumers may make more informed choices according to their own values, not mine. I objected to the fact that the Body Shop employee had the gall to read my post and then say that she doesn't know much about L'oreal but the Body Shop must be A-OK because according to her they do more for the environment &c than "most companies".

I will object whenever I see people promoting ignorance and illogic, and I will call them on it. If you're bothered by that kind of thing, then I'm afraid an internet forum may not be the place for you.
    I think you're going a bit far from the topic, I'm sure most companies have various scandals behind them. Many we don't and will never know about. For example, M&S, Starbucks, Sainsburys and many other companies are known to support Israel and provide them with cash - which Israelis use to build weapons to kill Palestinian people - i.e. human life. So if we all start thinking like you, we would probably be sitting here dirty, naked and without food.

Anway I quite like the Body Shop products even though it is owned by Loreal which is 25% owned by Nestle which makes 25% of the Body Shops products owned by Nestle - but that's ok as I only use 75% of the Body Shop products so I'm not using any owned by Nestle anway.
  • twinkle06_123
    I work in Body Shop and must comment on a few things. First of all anyone can get free samples of many different products. Body Butters, Shower gels, shampoo lots of nice things, unfortunately somethings can not be given in sample pots such as lip balms. The sample pots are the same size as the lip balm pot so it wouldn't make much sense. Make use of the sample pots and anytime you want to try something go into the shop and the employees are always happy to help.....
    Originally posted by Lovesavinmoney+theplanet
    I went into the body shop the other day and asked for a sample of the eyes and face primer because I wanted to see if it works under the mineral foundation but the SA said they don't give samples of make-up products - although technically it's not even a make-up product! But was she right?
  • teabythesea
    I buy loads from the body shop! I'm a regular now so I always get loads of freebies!! I've got the complete seaweed range in testers to keep me going now
  • Queen of NO MATTER WHAT

Good for you...So glad that you've taken it upon yourself to inform us about the wrongs of the capitalist world

Back to the topic of the thread, I got a sample of shea foot and hand butter the other day and it is fab, might be my next purchase.
    *wonders when they will make dressing gowns acceptable day wear?*

No new toiletries challenge - use up the stash first!

NSD Jan 2/15
  • mermaidmad
    I went into the body shop the other day and asked for a sample of the eyes and face primer because I wanted to see if it works under the mineral foundation but the SA said they don't give samples of make-up products - although technically it's not even a make-up product! But was she right?
    Originally posted by twinkle06_123
    the primer can be given as a sample as it is a liquid so it would be ok to try in a pot. maybe the person you spoke to was new. try again next time im sure someone will give you one lol
  • mermaidmad
    oh dear. i really do think that these peeps should find out properly about this sort of thing before you start ranting about it! the body shop was bought by loreal about 3 years ago, the ethics of the company are still the same now as they allways have been. infact since loreal have had the company the values have returned and things are back to how they used to be in the good old days. if you go in and ask any of the girls who work there they will tell you that. community trade, carbon neautral, organic, cutting out preservatives... you name it the body shop are doing it. go and get yourself a free sample. oh and by the way they also have 30% off for 4 days from thursday i got my invite through the post so im gonna go grab my xmas shopping as if you spend 25 you get FREE coconut full size body butter, that will be my treat lol
  • kimmy112
    Can you use the banana shampoo towards your 5 a day?
    Originally posted by DaveW007
    i must be super healthy if it does
    MAY FREEBIESFree Jar of Sharwoods Sauce.10 Argos gift card. Picture Hanging Strips. Fairy WUL. Live Mealworms. Hipp Preggy bits. Perfume. Lipton Tea x3. Pack of snack a jacks. Genome fridge magnets. Fuel Rights Book.
  • kimmy112
    My friend woks for Body Shop and says when you buy something they're supposed to offer you a sample of a product in the same range, eg, when you buy coconut shower gel they should offer the matching moisturiser.

She also said they're happy to give out samples but are wary of the same people who come in every other day asking for them but never buying anything! Fair enough I suppose!
    Originally posted by Charliezoo
    i only ask when i buy, i dont want people to think im cheap, even tho i am.
  • kimmy112
    OK, so it occurred to me that I didn't actually say WHY people should consider boycotting Nestle - basically, their aggressive and deceitful (in terms of health information) infant formula marketing techniques in Africa means that babies who otherwise could be successfully breastfed end up malnourished or dead once the mothers either run out of money to buy formula, dilute it with too much water or prepare it using unsanitary water.

I wish I were making this up, but unfortunately I'm not. So, those of you who buy from the Body Shop - is it really worth it? (Not being judgmental as I used to shop there myself; just hoping to provoke some thought.)
    i shop there because i like the products, not because they do good/bad whatever..... i just like the stuff thats why i buy it... anybody who wants to moan should find somewhere else to do it.
  • Dragana
    I advise everyone to drop an e-mail to The Body Shop website and I am sure they will contact individual stores to tell them what they are missing. Trust me...they will deal with those 'lazy' people.
    Come to my store you'll get a sample.
    Please bear in mind that only ONE sample should be given to everyone... but if you're nice to ask for another one then there should be no reason not to get one.

xxxxxxxx

P.S. and please do not talk crap about the company. We do what we say we do.
    Last edited by Dragana; 25-11-2009 at 8:59 PM.
  • Muffin99
    Originally posted by twinkle06_123
    I think she's wrong because they gave me samples of foundation, just enough to try out in little pots. They were happy to help so I could find my best match, it's not easy for me having bad skin! Like you I would like to try the new primer out too. I'd have thought from my experience they'd pop a little in a pot for you.

HTH
  • laurenjs88
    I got 3 little samples todays from Norwich bodyshop. the girl in the store was lovely

I loved BS Vanilla Body-Butter, but havent personally brought anything from there since the take-over. however they did have some gorgeous things i really wanted in there today
    Had my amazing little girlie 08/12/2007 - 11 days late! 9lbs 3oz
    My second little girl entered the world 20/03/2010 - 11 days late! 8lbs 4oz
    Sea
    led pot challenge 4 - 332
    Make 11k in 2011 0/11000 - 0%
    And lots of other challenges!
  • Lovesavinmoney+theplanet
    Wow....well that put me in my place. No-one asked me to write on the forum, I decide what and when I do. I do apologise Chia. Next time, I'll find out more information 1st before I write things. But you don't have to go all physco on me. And as someone else mentioned how many other shops are should we boycott? This discussion could just keep going on and on, lets just leave it at that. Next time, I'll tell people about promotions and leave it at that.
  • jessicajay
    Don't worry Lovesavinmoney, as mentioned before, some people delight in hijacking threads with righteous comments.
  • flipper_2010
    I thought they were getting around it by saying, no we don't test the products on animals, just the ingredients :confused:

But no, go in and get samples, I've got no problem with that, I would just never give them any money
  • katherine31
    Whereas the original 'Bodyshop' was franchised with the (almost) proviso they were all operating from the same copybook, are L'Oreal operating the same or do they own all shops outright? I would like to know as that would have an outcome on whether you can have freebies or not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,339Posts Today

7,115Users online

Martin's Twitter