Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 4
  • pandas66
    Minced Pork
    HI,
    Just bought a packet of minced pork and was wondering how to make pork burgers.
    I do have some apples, red onion, red peppers, egg.

I need a basic but tasty recipe............and easy too. I don't have a burger press but I do have a grater. I don't have a foodmixer but I do have a hand whizzer. I intend to cook them on the George Foreman.

Unless you have some scrummy other recipes for minced pork.....ta.x

just to qualify for the O/S ers......

I have cleaned out the downstairs loo, had the w/machine on and d/washer and been out looking at curtain material to make my own, without success I have to say.
    Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th May 07, 2:45 PM
    • 5,713 Posts
    • 45,579 Thanks
    DawnW
    I usually add some thai green curry paste, salt, pepper and some chopped red onion to the minced pork. Lovely in a roll with some fresh coriander along with the salad and mayo. sort of (unauthentic) thai flavour.
  • ben500
    You can easily improvise a burger press using two ramekins one slightly larger than the other so it just fits inside it, line it with clingfilm and pack your burger mix in then simply put another layer of cling film over it and press down with the smaller rameking using a cloth and not too much pressure as you don't want either to crack or shatter, pull out the cling film top and bottom layers in one and your burger comes with it.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 7th May 07, 2:48 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Hi, Pandas, and welcome to Old Style!

Pork and apple burgers will be tasty - grate your apple (no need to skin it) and mix well with the mince. Season with pepper, and shape into burgers. Pork mince tends to be *wetter* than beef, so you shouldn't need to add egg. Cook and serve in a toasted bun, with strips of pepper on the side (or fried with sliced onion).

Alternatively, try this recent thread - recipes for pork mince.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • pandas66
    ben500....................wtf are ramekins...........no I do know! but do you really think I have ramekins? (no)

I don't have thai doo dar either........

I'll wait for some proper O/S ers please.................................*tut*

I have found carrots.
    Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
    • bluedog
    • By bluedog 7th May 07, 2:49 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    bluedog
    You beat me to it! I don't want to hi-jack your thread but I have some pork mince in my freezer which needs using up so would love some ideas on what to make with it. I had a recipe for a meat loaf which I lost and pork burgers sound great.
  • pandas66
    PP may saviour!

so is it 1 apple to make 4 burgers do you think..........and do I chop some onion in too?
    Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
  • ben500
    ben500....................wtf are ramekins...........no I do know! but do you really think I have ramekins? (no)

I don't have thai doo dar either........

I'll wait for some proper O/S ers please.................................*tut*

I have found carrots.
    Originally posted by pandas66
    So follow the principle with two similarly sized receptacles of your choice from the equipment you do have
    Some examples:
    Small saucepan + Tin of beans, Jar of pickle................
  • ben500
    You could add some white pepper or perhaps a pinch of mustard to the mix for a little bite, a little ground black pepper perhaps? even a few sesame seeds (Don't beat me with a stick I know not everyone has them scrape them off a burger bun)
    A nice angle would be to fritter the apples, cut some really fine slices and dip them in a little batter and fry and use as you would onion rings to garnish, that way if you hear the cry "but I don't like apple" you haven't got an unfed kid someone just get's an extra apple fritter.
    Last edited by ben500; 07-05-2007 at 2:59 PM.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 7th May 07, 2:57 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    PP may saviour!

so is it 1 apple to make 4 burgers do you think..........and do I chop some onion in too?
    It's an honour! If I were you, I'd grate the onion in - that way the burger holds it shape better. I onion, I apple, 4 burgers - sounds about right.

That'll be 2 each When shall I be round!

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • pandas66
    You could add some white pepper or perhaps a pinch of mustard to the mix for a little bite, a little ground black pepper perhaps? even a few sesame seeds (Don't beat me with a stick I know not everyone has them scrape them off a burger bun)
    A nice angle would be to fritter the apples, cut some really fine slices and dip them in a little batter and use as you would onion rings to garnish, that way if you hear the cry "but I don't like apple" you haven't got an unfed kid someone just get's an extra apple fritter.
    Originally posted by ben500
    Like I just happen to have burger buns here!:rolleyes:

I knew I should've gotten the kiddies maccy d's today!

right the pork, 1 grated onion, 1 grated apple and a squidge of pepper, smack it into a burger shape.........sorted

A nice touch would be apple fritters your right...............but the fire brigade deserve a night off as do the burns unit
    Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
    • HariboJunkie
    • By HariboJunkie 7th May 07, 3:02 PM
    • 7,160 Posts
    • 45,822 Thanks
    HariboJunkie
    I was going to suggest grating the onion too. I made them last week and added a pinch of herbs from the garden or dried mixed herbs if you've got them.
    Oh and I added an egg to to make it all stick together.
  • ben500
    Like I just happen to have burger buns here!:rolleyes:

I knew I should've gotten the kiddies maccy d's today!

right the pork, 1 grated onion, 1 grated apple and a squidge of pepper, smack it into a burger shape.........sorted

A nice touch would be apple fritters your right...............but the fire brigade deserve a night off as do the burns unit
    Yeah but just think of the publicity you'd get from the kids when their mates tell them they had a big mac and they defend your haute cuisine to the hilt.
  • pandas66
    It's an honour! If I were you, I'd grate the onion in - that way the burger holds it shape better. I onion, I apple, 4 burgers - sounds about right.

That'll be 2 each When shall I be round!

Penny. x
    Originally posted by Penelope Penguin
    just realised you put that

its gonna be torture isn't it?
    Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
  • trigger2
    I make little pork meatballs here with a red onion, garlic & herbs, a sauce made from ratatouille, served on a bed of spaghetti - my kids love it ! mmm making myself hungry now ! have a nice dinner
  • pandas66
    I was going to suggest grating the onion too. I made them last week and added a pinch of herbs from the garden or dried mixed herbs if you've got them.
    Oh and I added an egg to to make it all stick together.
    Originally posted by HariboJunkie
    I have oregano or cinnamen, neither fresh....
    Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 7th May 07, 3:06 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi panda,

There are more recipes for pork mince (including pork and apple burgers) here: Recipes for pork mince

Pink
  • pandas66
    I make little pork meatballs here with a red onion, garlic & herbs, a sauce made from ratatouille, served on a bed of spaghetti - my kids love it ! mmm making myself hungry now ! have a nice dinner
    Originally posted by trigger2
    now I can make ratatouille (just not spell it) and I have most of the stuff to go in!

that sounds better.

so do I make the balls seperate, then pop them in cooked or uncooked, does it go in the oven or on the top.
    Panda xx

g on enow

missing kipper No 2.....
  • trigger2
    oregano's nice, i always think of it as an italian flavour
  • ben500
    oregano's nice, i always think of it as an italian flavour
    Originally posted by trigger2
    That's probably because it is generally sprinkled on takeaway pizzas which unfortunately are generally about as Italian as Boris Yeltsin
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

2,468Users online

Martin's Twitter