Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jonesypeter
    • By jonesypeter 20th Jul 19, 6:15 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jonesypeter
    ISA Stocks & Shares Transfer HL & Woodford
    • 20th Jul 19, 6:15 PM
    ISA Stocks & Shares Transfer HL & Woodford 20th Jul 19 at 6:15 PM
    Hi,
    I'm in the process of transferring my stocks and shares ISA from HL to iWeb.

I received a letter from iweb this morning to say that they can't transfer my Woodford Equity Income Z GBP Acc fund. The only options they gave me is to sell them (Which of course I can't!) or cancel the transfer.

I assume the Z class is the specially negotiated reduced fee version that HL Negotiated.

Am I stuck with HL until I can sell the Woodford fund?

Thanks
Page 1
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 20th Jul 19, 6:28 PM
    • 5,377 Posts
    • 7,361 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 20th Jul 19, 6:28 PM
    • 20th Jul 19, 6:28 PM
    Might be worth a read
    https://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/news/woodford-investors-finally-freed-from-hargreaves-platform/a1249319
    • Reed_Richards
    • By Reed_Richards 20th Jul 19, 10:53 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Reed_Richards
    • 20th Jul 19, 10:53 PM
    • 20th Jul 19, 10:53 PM
    You don't have to transfer the entire ISA; you could do a partial transfer so it does not have to be all or nothing.
    Reed
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 21st Jul 19, 12:13 AM
    • 9,092 Posts
    • 16,634 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 21st Jul 19, 12:13 AM
    • 21st Jul 19, 12:13 AM

Am I stuck with HL until I can sell the Woodford fund?
    Originally posted by jonesypeter
    As per the quoted article above, you should be able to exchange your special Woodford share class held by HL for the standard Woodford share class offered by everybody else. May need to follow up and enquire with them, as that is a relatively recent stance they have taken.

However, as HL have said they will not charge a platform fee on the Woodford fund shares during the period of suspension, you can perhaps achieve a decent effective result by partially transferring away your other non-Woodford holdings, keeping the Woodford shares at HL for a while (for free), then eventually selling or moving the Woodford holding at some point in the future once it stops being un-redeemable and free to hold at HL.
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 21-07-2019 at 5:51 AM.
    • jonesypeter
    • By jonesypeter 21st Jul 19, 7:31 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonesypeter
    • 21st Jul 19, 7:31 AM
    • 21st Jul 19, 7:31 AM
    My understanding @bowhead99 is that you have to transfer complete years worth of contributions?
    • to jackie too
    • By to jackie too 21st Jul 19, 2:57 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    to jackie too
    • 21st Jul 19, 2:57 PM
    • 21st Jul 19, 2:57 PM
    As per the quoted article above, you should be able to exchange your special Woodford share class held by HL for the standard Woodford share class offered by everybody else.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    My reading was that they will let you transfer you special Woodford share class to another platform which hasn't previously carried that class at all. Link's Q&A (woodford.linkfundsolutions.co.uk/questions-and-answers/) says:

Transfers between platforms across all share classes, but not share class conversions, will now be allowed with immediate effect (10th July 2019). This includes where the receiving platform does not currently have access to the share class being transferred. (They will be able to open a new account in that class to support the transfer) This is intended to facilitate cross platform transfers where there is no change to the beneficial owner. This supports investors by providing them with the freedom to move their investments between platforms.
    by Link
    However, that is just Link's point of view, and IWeb can be awkward about accepting transfers in of investments that they wouldn't currently allow you to buy.
    My understanding @bowhead99 is that you have to transfer complete years worth of contributions?
    For the current tax year's contributions, you must transfer either all or none of them. For earlier years, partial transfers are allowed.
    • Reed_Richards
    • By Reed_Richards 21st Jul 19, 4:42 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Reed_Richards
    • 21st Jul 19, 4:42 PM
    • 21st Jul 19, 4:42 PM
    As Bowlhead99 isn't around at the moment and I suggested the partial transfer, allow me to confirm that it is only the ISA contributions made in the current tax year (since 6th April 2019) that must be transferred all together. Transfers from previous years' contributions can be partial and split-up any way you like.

PS You would be particularly unfortunate if you had managed to invest in a Woodford fund between 6th April 2019 and the suspension on 3rd June 2019 so I assumed it belonged to an ISA from a previous tax year. I should have been explicit about that.
    Last edited by Reed_Richards; 21-07-2019 at 7:52 PM. Reason: PS
    Reed
    • jonesypeter
    • By jonesypeter 22nd Jul 19, 3:01 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonesypeter
    • 22nd Jul 19, 3:01 PM
    • 22nd Jul 19, 3:01 PM
    Just an update on this. I had a long conversation with iWeb this afternoon. They won't do the 'Z' to 'C' class transfer, even though I pointed them to the article.

They are allowing me to transfer my other funds and leave the Woodford fund with HL (Which as HL are not charging fees currently) seems like the best plan. Although of course apart from the initial 25, iWeb don't charge any fees.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,154Posts Today

5,994Users online

Martin's Twitter