Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    • 3,527Posts
    • 39,910Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:34 AM
    5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3 18th Jul 17 at 10:34 AM
    Ok I'm diving in as I've noticed several of us have lost posts we thought had posted, and there now seems to be a serious risk of losing the whole thread. So thanks for the heads up Karcher. (and i sympathise Frith - i too like to nip back)

I've revisited the first thread of our part 2, posted 28th October 2009. It said:
    Time for a shiny new thread The old one had got to 4500 odd posts which amounts to 22,500 OS pleasures (at least) It's so good to know that the OS life can be so rewarding.

I'll kick off the new thread.

1) Homemade bread and marmalade for breakfast.

2) A walk over the Malvern Hills to blow away the cobwebs.

3) Drying the washing outside- still, in October.

4) Watching mydaughter making a game out of sweeping the leaves with her friends.

5) The prospect of collecting a big order of meat from the butcher this morning and having my freezer full for less.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Part 2 went on considerably longer so many many more pleasures. And of course life stories shared, support given, tears of sorrow and joy shed. Part 2 I shall miss you, but here's to part 3.
    Last edited by DundeeDoll; 18-07-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Page 348
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 18th Jul 19, 6:59 AM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 35,990 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Wednesday pleasures,

Meant to be a hot one so cracked on with chores first thing, cleaned upstairs windows inside and washed down all the paintwork.

Made some bread, half and half wholemeal & white, and then went down to the garden centre whilst it was proving.

My belovedís face when he walked in at lunchtime and smelt fresh bread.

Potted up new plants in garden shady spot, including a scented geranium and a new sage as mine had been lost over the winter.

Seed crusted haddock for tea with new pots & veg.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 18th Jul 19, 7:50 AM
    • 9,379 Posts
    • 60,695 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Pleasures from yesterday...

Early walk in park with dog, sun shining.

Small washload done, line dried, in and ironed, along with rest of ironing mountain. So good to get it all done and out of the way.

Visit to gym (community gym in village) to start getting fit and toned up again. Only a short session seeing as I haven't been for a while.

Seeing a profuse crop of red gooseberries. There's a small fruit garden next to the gym and the caretaker, who is responsible for keeping that garden area tidy, has said I can help myself to the fruit as it will only go to waste. There are apples, pears, plums, red gooseberries, blackberries, raspberries, black currants, red currants and white currants. Lots of foraging in the days ahead.

Cleared OH's clothes and shoes from the wardrobe. Just have the wardrobe to reorganise now, but I have reorganised other cupboards and drawers in the bedroom, and it looks more like my space now, rather than ours. Bittersweet, but essential process.

Saw the Marie Kondo episode on Netflix where she helps a woman clear out her deceased husband's belongings. It was a house that had seen lots of love and laughter for about 30 years, and it had much more stuff in it than my house so I was encouraged by that.

Using organic lavender soap (Holland and Barrett) in the shower. I am leaning more towards bar soaps than plastic bottles of soap solutions.

Roasted veg pasta for dinner, an experiment that went well. Son wasn't impressed because there was no meat in it, tough, I am La Grande Chef du Maison!

Today, my baby boy is 21. Where did that time go?
    One life - your life - live it!
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 18th Jul 19, 11:25 AM
    • 6,230 Posts
    • 36,172 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    The second letter home.
    Did the thirst one ever get there?

Lasagne. Just a waste of pasta! Nows I is not coming on here talk inn about proper foods if yous lot go adrift. Has the proper foods like BoP and you will be rite good. Just last nite we has Roulette with risotto rice. Rite tasty it was as well. Chopped onions, mushrooms and pepper. BoPsie did rite chunky cucumber and toms. Tossed into pan and stir fried, added risotto rice and a dash of sauce of the soy. Done quicker than the cheese on toast delivery agent or the instant carp not poodle things. Tasty. Strawbs and ice cream was had as well.

I see that Friths oldest has found that some think it is a holiday?

I knows, no report yesterday. Well I has to go out and get the chocolates inn as BoPsie was at the bum clinic. She has since had chocolate and been fed.

Back at the mill and the boilers are roaring away with success this day.

And them chocolates, yes as BoP is so caring and sharing, a couple has maid it inn to BoPís packed luncheon box. Together with cheese, two proper digestives, toms and the rest! There, good for you all. Packed with goodness nose watt!

Nows onto other proper things. Tonight BoP will be keeping his beach ready looks inn the gym. Next appearance at the JAM is this Sundae. JAM is a charity that looks after heritage and not a tax avoidance scam for householders like the NT.

I red in the paper that the BBC is recruiting support staff for the over 75ís. Surely this are TV Tax inspectors preying on over 75ís?

Now organising BoP and BoPsieís big night out paint inn town red tomorrow as we has bin in our palace for 17 years.

Oh, no lasagne this eve. Brewed and matured chicken curry with proper long grain rice. BashCarpi rice is available, but that is just a fancy name for Long Grain!

Now if the man holding the shovel is mending the road, donít pull him out!

Ifs yous has bin affected by any item in todays BoPiness page, help is at hand. Please see below for details.

Stop trying to fit inn, when youíre the one to stand out!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th Jul 19, 3:25 PM
    • 13,449 Posts
    • 184,039 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Busy, busy week but good too.

Lovely meet up on Tuesday with two lovely ladies, great fun.

All day in the shop yesterday, was only meant to be the morning but they were short so I stayed and the afternoon gang are great fun so went faster than I wanted.

Some really good bits and pieces for the grandpickles came in and I bought myself a couple of nice tops too.

Proper cooking for supper tonight BOP stewed shin of beef with veg simmering away for a few hours until it's falling apart tender, YUMMY!

Cleaned house top to toe, always feels good!

2 x 10p bargains today from the Co Op so 2 packs of pink gooseberries at 10p each and 2 packs of fresh summer fruit cocktail at 10p each as well fantastic find.
    You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 18th Jul 19, 9:57 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 48,639 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Thursday).

1) Good to get up after around 45 minutes sleep.

2) Hens OK.

3) Painted half the stairs with white gloss again (leaving half so we can get and down). I forgot, and stuck my slipper onto the first step. Much merriment from smaller son. I painted over my footprint. Smaller son was then singing happily and went upstairs and stuck his sock footprint next to where I had stepped!

4) Did batches of chill and curry, using everything left in the fridge - celery, courgettes, onions, few bits of butternut squash. Baked beans (rinsed) in the chilli, chick peas in the curry.

5) My brother in law's job start early in September. I think they had been fiddling around not giving him a date and he worried it might not start until December.

6) Good photos from Nepal. The machete in action again, henna hands and a science class taught by bigger son. They were going to do handwriting, drama and something else at today's holiday club but fewer children went then before as lots are working on the rice harvest.

7) Got sort of up to date with the housework and have been watching television.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 19th Jul 19, 7:06 AM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 35,990 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Envious of your foraging opportunity Nargs

Thursday pleasures,

Scaled Mount Ironmore and can now see the bottom of the basket.

Chat with DB.

Time spent with the new grey one, more groundwork and my clever pony had remembered what we had done last week, or maybe it was the treat factor she remembered

A heron flying above the cottage.

The gentle tap tap of little dogs tail on the wooden floor whenever I speak to her.

It was a cool enough evening to have a sheet and blanket pulled up in bed.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 19th Jul 19, 7:43 AM
    • 9,379 Posts
    • 60,695 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Pleasures for today....

Aromatherapy massage this morning then getting hair coloured later. For those who don't know me, I am 61 and my hair nowadays is a combination of purple and blue lights with my natural silver streaked through it. I was originally a dark blonde assisted by chemicals but decided a few years back to let it grow out and see what happened. I was delighted to find I was going pure silver rather than white or mucky grey so put myself in the hands of a hairdresser. Everyone I meet says it suits me and it makes me feel good.

Mrs LW has inspired me with tales of beef simmering slowly. I will haul a lump of beef brisket from the freezer, chop it up and do Beef Madras for Saturday dinner, then use the red gooseberries I foraged yesterday in a crumble for Sunday. I love meal planning!

Sorting out my bedroom, I have a lovely cardboard storage box decorated with a French cafe scene. I am going to put OH memorabilia in there, random photos, funeral cards received, certificates, anything I want to keep but don't want to just shove in a drawer.

Some healthy, creamy porridge for breakfast before taking the hound for walkies.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 19th Jul 19, 11:09 AM
    • 6,230 Posts
    • 36,172 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Not again
    Displeasures this day, too much tax paid again! Far too much.

I have paid my share, what about Ö
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Jul 19, 1:11 PM
    • 13,449 Posts
    • 184,039 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Trip to Morrissons to stock up with things that the Zebra child likes as he's coming to stay next week.

Finding some beautiful roast beef slices from the Deli reduced to half price.

Coffee out at the garden centre before coming home.

Finding a Michaelmas Daisy plant that I've wanted for the border for ages at a reasonable price.

I'm in here and not out in the rain which is bucketing down on and off and looks as though it will be all day!

Ours is not to wonder what is fair in life but finding what may be, make it up fair to our needs.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 19th Jul 19, 9:53 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 48,639 Thanks
    Frith
    Pleasures for today (Friday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Hens OK and I cleaned out their sleeping quarters.

3) £7 to last us until Tuesday and £1 of that is earmarked for smaller son to watch the football tomorrow. So some interesting catering! Managed to stick to the BSD. Found some bread dough in the freezer so I will make a pizza for smaller son tomorrow.

4) Painted the stairs that I didn't paint yesterday (the alternate ones!)

5) One message from Nepal saying he is ill again :-( It is bugs picked up from the drinking water. He was just about the right weight when he left but looks a stone lighter in his recent photos so this is not ideal. Then he lost the internet connection so I couldn't ask any more! Just over 4 weeks to go.

6) Watched Celebrity Gogglebox.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 20th Jul 19, 5:55 AM
    • 5,554 Posts
    • 81,356 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Morning all from my bed in ICT - a wild and woolly welsh wales today.. I'm here to avoid the MiL who is at ours. Not cos I don't like her, but I wouldn't get anything done.

Got distracted by DD's birthday so pleasures for last few.

1. Getting everything sorted for DD's birthday, including baking a cake. THAT doesn't happen often these days
    2. Got a job starting in the autumn terms just one day a week on a teaching only contract. WIth my on-line stuff that's about all I want for now.
    3. DD's birthday was fab - Lush spa, lunch out, theatre in the afternoon and dinner in the evening then back for presents and cake.

4. Back to ICT - train was ok
    5. Beach walk yesterday with friend, in laws and Ceri the dog. I love to see a happy dog just run and run on the beach...

I'm up and at em in a minute. Have a good day all.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 20th Jul 19, 6:46 AM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 39,483 Thanks
    mhagster
    Good morning. Just about to head out to work. Travelers just about to head out on a 142km hike! It's absolutely lashing with rain.

Been a busy couple of days and then too tired at end of day to post pleasures.

Work has been ...well...work! In, work, out! I know the balance I want. Paid .

Visiting Australians. How lovely to have them here. We are in your kitchen! I know you're in my kitchen! How fabulous !

Should have been OH 50th birthday yesterday . Had a lovely meal out last night and a chocolate cake he'd have enjoyed!

Charity shop spree...I'm going into work with my new to me £1 jeans on from Wallis . Got loads of nice things most RTC in the charity shops....I do love a charity shop bargain! Also got a fab king size duvet set (M&S) for £2.50. Shall wait for better weather then do a boil wash and out on line!

A quick allotment visit as the Australians wanted to see it! All this rain means I don't have to go and just water.

Right I'd better go and start the day! Have a good weekend
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 20th Jul 19, 8:02 AM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 35,990 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Friday pleasures,

Mushrooms on toast for breakfast, it really is my favourite meal of the day.

Picked up some carrots in village shop before heading off to see equine girlie, the new shop is nearly finished and looks very smart.

Just got my girl back out to her field after riding and it started to rain.

Popped to the emporium and amongst my rtc haul was a bunch of flowers, perfect colours for my dining room table.

Made another loaf, getting back into it now.

Capt S out playing five a side so evening at home to myself, cba to cook so my fresh bread with a piece of cheese sufficed.
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 20th Jul 19, 3:24 PM
    • 9,379 Posts
    • 60,695 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Pleasures today - out early with dog, seeing her run around having fun, then back just as rain started.

Fried egg, bacon, mushrooms and fried bread for breakfast.

Made a start on the spare room, wardrobe emptied and a mountain of stuff piled on the bed. I'll get some black bags Monday when I go shopping and finish the job then.

Assorted electricals taken to recycling centre, out of the house, many more such trips lie ahead.

Seeing the rain bucketing down, the garden needs it.

Main meal Beef Madras consumed mid afternoon for a change.

Just finished a mug of a luxurious brand of hot chocolate (given to me as a present for Mothering Sunday.)

Cat sprawled out on bed, basking in the sunlight. Yes, sun shining out there now.

Feeling pleasantly full, like I could doze off just like one of the lions in the Serengeti after wildebeest for lunch.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 20th Jul 19, 4:12 PM
    • 13,449 Posts
    • 184,039 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lovely lunch of roast beef, horseradish sauce on rye bread from the local baker for lunch with gherkins and cherry tomatoes, scrumptious.

DD1 and James came for coffee and brought HWK a bottle of Merlot and brought us both a small but beautifully formed box of continental chocolates from Holland where they've been on the school Music Tour.

The last panel is now fitted into the replacement back fence and it looks really nice, we have a small garden and have made it look lighter and bigger by painting the fence facing the house white, really effective.

I've just processed all the French, runner and fine beans HWK brought back from the allotment yesterday.

Had a cooking session this morning in preparation for the Zebra child coming to stay for the week and made a massive apple and gooseberry crumble, 4 x glasses of raspberry jelly and an apple gingerbread tray bake, yum!

• Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 20th Jul 19, 8:39 PM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 23,357 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    1 We are back from a wonderful week away in Wales, we spent a lot of it relaxing on the campsite as I was making sure Mr PK recouped, I think he needs to slow down. The journey back was very slow as the stabiliser broke, back safely and a complete new stabiliser ordered up, but at ouchy cost.

2 The washing loads are cycling around, and the van cleaner.

3 The garden looks fabulous thanks to the sprinkler system, the patio and garden need weeding strimming and mowing, the weeding is crossed off now so just strimming and mowing tomorrow.

4 Our bedding is all clean, and sprinkled with lavender.

5 Mint is dehydrating.

6 Did a vet run with our old lady, she was a star, frail but healthy, just needed an injection to help her immune system.
    • mhagster
    • By mhagster 20th Jul 19, 9:08 PM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 39,483 Thanks
    mhagster
    A very quick hello as I need to call a friend back and it's getting on!

DD2 in hospital overnight, hurrah for some amazing paramedics. Her of the dodgy hips! So work was curtailed but most of day spent in hospital !

Hurrah for NHS and good friends and lovely great nieces who gave her favourite bear to be company for DD.

Other DD started her epic walk.

Son up another mountain!

Sun came out after torrential rain.

Had a cake for tea!
    • Frith
    • By Frith 20th Jul 19, 9:50 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 48,639 Thanks
    Frith
    MHags - sorry to hear your daughter is in hospital and I hope things are sorted out speedily there.

Nargle - I want some mushrooms, now you've mentioned them! And Lainey!

Pleasures for today (Saturday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) BSD went OK. Yoghurt and berries, avocado and sardine, HM curry. Jeans are looser, which is a start.

3) Hens well.

4) Tidied the garden.

5) Went to my brother's after lunch because I asked for a 5 inch hole to be drilled through the plate that goes across my fireplace. The chimney is 5 inches wide. The chimney does not fit. So my brother set to with a angle grinder looking thing and a file. It fits now. Had another courgette off my dad!

6) Watched Casualty.

7) Thought I'd Ebay a few clothes (surely the most boring job in the world, to list things on Ebay) and found a lot of moths. So synthetics out on the line, cottons in the washing machine, woollens in the freezer.

8) Watched Killing Eve, went to the freezer to get fruit out for tomorrow, opened a freezer drawer and an ARM flopped out at me!!! Luckily it was just my duffel coat.

9) Bigger son was ill yesterday (not the normal D and V) but was on the mend today. He is looking forward to his team meeting tomorrow. A 1.5 hour walk to a bigger place that has a shop and where you get a meal that is not daal.
    Last edited by Frith; 20-07-2019 at 9:57 PM.
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • DundeeDoll
    • By DundeeDoll 20th Jul 19, 10:31 PM
    • 3,527 Posts
    • 39,910 Thanks
    DundeeDoll
    goodness where has the week gone?! just caught up on all your posts. cricket was amazing as was the tennis. for today
    1) slow morning (own fault, out celebrating with prof doc student, mixed cider and red wine, never again!)
    2) finished watching years and years while having long soak in the bath.
    3) filled empty spice pot with chinese 5 spice at new zero waste shop that's opened down the road
    4) took dogs on long walk - into town then back along the river. absolutely beautiful (though mrpiano's dog slipped his lead at one point eek)
    5) today watched the netball on catch up while listening to the prom - i managed to avoid the score so was nail-biting to the end
    Be like a postage stampóstick to one thing until you get there.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 21st Jul 19, 5:59 AM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 20,621 Thanks
    villagelife
    For the last few days.

1. Being in holiday.

2. Light was delayed by nearly 2 hours but caught up some time and also as we arrived late and last flight of the day we went through passport control very quick!y.

3. Had a thunderstorm yesterday morning but then cleared for a lovely day.

4. Message from DS2 girlfriend with a photo of her green tomatoes. It is the first thing she has ever grown from one of the tomato plants I have her.

5. Food and wine yesterday evening on the balcony in the warmth even at midnight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,383Posts Today

6,159Users online

Martin's Twitter