Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Jun 19, 5:34 PM
    • 2,986Posts
    • 32,373Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST A Gentle Jog Through July
    • 28th Jun 19, 5:34 PM
    NST A Gentle Jog Through July 28th Jun 19 at 5:34 PM
    NST JULY

A GENTLE JOG THROUGH JULY

One of the pleasures of being a turtle is that each month we can start afresh, leave the things that didn't go to plan behind and resolve to do better, keep the bits that we did right and get nearer to our ultimate goal or goals.

We are now half way through 2019 so it's time to pause for reflection. Are you where you should be, has life sent you on a detour or do you need to refine or redefine your goals. Is everything going swimmingly or are you plodding through wet sand.

In June apple gave us a fine manifesto of things we should reduce/ do less of and things to Maximise/ do more of. I think we might be in need of a little staycation. I thought about various aspects of holidays (adventure, exploring new places and different food, unwinding on a beach with a good book, swimming, visiting places of interest, pampering) and have tried to incorporate them into this challenge.

It's still a challenge. All the usual NST elements are there with added fun and sprinkles on top (may also offer inspiration for the parents amongst you). I have also consulted some lists of things that are celebrated in JUly and some to be aware of.

A Adventure - do something that scares you, just a bit. Can be physical like white water rafting or just being more sociable.

G Get creative in the kitchen. Make something that reminds you of a holiday or spice up your salads with all the available fresh produce. Plan your meals, put some things in the freezer for days when you don't feel like cooking ('the heat, the heat) and think of a few things to take on a day out (frozen sandwiches or a bottle of diluted cordial frozen overnight will keep everything in your rucksack cool and fresh)

E Eat Beans Day is on the 3rd July. Substituting bean or plant based meals for meat is good for you and for the planet. Even if you only open a tin of baked beans, it's good for your wallet (one of Martin's money saving mantras is to have 'something on toast' once a week).

N NSDs Low target 3 per week (12/13 for the month)
    High target 4 per week (17/18 for the month)
    No Spending Days are days when you do not go into shops or online to purchase anything. YS (reduced price yellow sticker) food is exempt, as are medicines and medical expenses (no-one should forgo treatment to save an NSD) and petrol/travel pass taken from a budget set up at the beginning of the month (cannot predict when you will run out of petrol and we don't want stranded turtles). Items bought on someone else's behalf (eg work expenses) do not spoil your NSD. Greent has a milk exemption.

T Take care in the sun especially if you know you have problems. Ditto for children. Beware of walking dogs on overheated pavements. July 3rd is 'Stay out of the Sun Day' as well as eating beans. It is also 'Disobedience Day' so you can have a free pas to break one rule then (just a small one, not a month destroying one).

L Live on what is left after paying towards your debt or savings.

E Exercise - take advantage of the long days to pack more in. Gardening and outdoor diy jobs count.

J July food days abound Fried Chicken (6th - try "Kissing' instead), French Fries (13th), Hot Dogs and Peach Ice Cream (17th - No not together), Caviar (18th) Daiquiris (19th). My favourites are Fresh Spinach Day (16th) Blueberry (8th) and Vanilla Ice Cream (23rd). Other Ice cream days are available. Use these as a jumping off point to add some summer fun to your meal plan.

O (H2)O Water fun. Swimming, aqua-aerobics, canoeing. Even a few buckets and bowls in the back yard will provide hours of amusement for younger children and furbabies. Remember to make sure everyone drinks plenty too.

G Geeks Unite. July 13th is Embrace Your Geekness Day. July 8th is Video Games Day. So have a trekkie or Red Dwarf marathon, cosplay your favourite game character or craft some Whovian goodies.

T Think of those who are ill. July 24th is National Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Day. Other health awareness days are World Hepatitis (28th), Gastroschisis (babies born with internal organs outside their bodies - 90% now survive) (30th).

H Help those in need. International Day of Friendship is on July 30th. 'Cheer up the lonely Day' is on the 11th. Be a good friend/ work colleague/ neighbour and lend an ear to those whom you know are suffering.

R Relax. Take time out (especially teachers) and remember your children need downtime too. A frantic schedule of too many after school activities on top of school demands can leave children frazzled. It is good to have some activites/ days out to break up the long holiday but remember that being able to entertain yourself, sit in solitude or curl up with a good book are good life skills. July 22nd is Hammock Day.

O Our Bodies Our Selves. I will be eschewing Bikini Day (5th) but I will be embracing Compliment Your Mirror Day (3rd). My body is far from perfect but it has done me good service. I have not always looked after my body, I have not given it the foods it needs to thrive, I have worked it too hard and I have taken it for granted. So I will make a commitment to my body, to eat well, to move more and to take proper care of it. Include a pamper day this month, make it weekly if you can.

U Useless and ugly objects need to leave your home. Keep up the clutter clearing.

G Get out and about. Explore your neighbourhood. Do you have a local town trail and have you been on it? Do any local churches or civic buildings have open days. What exhibitions and activities are on?

H Half Year Review. Have you any family birthdays or significant events to celebrate in the next 3 months? Do you expect income to go up/ stay the same/ don't know (those on temporary contracts or in vulnerable jobs)? Which renewal dates are coming up and do you need to start price checking now? Look again at where you want to be in one year/ 5 years - are you on track or do you need to make changes.

J Just a couple more ideas for the holidays "Build a Scarecrow Day " is on the 7th and "Tedddy Bear's Picnic day is on the 9th

U yUo should take your lunch to work each day and take appropriate refreshments to hospital visits and on days out (unless these have been included as part of the 'experience' eg ice creams/ fish and chips). Avoid takeaways and processed food but feel free to experiment with 'fakeaways'.

L Look at each purchase to determine if it is a genuine need or just a want.

Y You should check in daily, if possible (especially when things go wrong).

The challenge runs throughout July start to finish.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 28-06-2019 at 5:40 PM.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST Aug No 4 No Debt No mortgage
Page 14
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 19th Jul 19, 1:02 PM
    • 9,202 Posts
    • 70,678 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Thank you for today's quotes, mothernerd. Especially the orange and purple ones. About 4 hours ago, the neighbours were having a massive massive barney, and the result is that Mr neighbour has left. We've already been helping Mrs neighbour, I've just taken her shopping as she has no car. The kids'll be back from school soon enough, and will have the summer hols to adapt.
    NST August adventurer #1; NSD /15; Ex 3/31; remove bagfuls 2 (32)

Mortgage 15,451 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 19th Jul 19, 1:23 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 21,258 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Apple - That is good of you to step in and help out in a practical way. It's a difficult situation. I hope your neighbour and the children are ok.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 19th Jul 19, 3:28 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 21,258 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD No 15

Very pleased to say that I haven't used all of this weeks household budget either. I'm sure the freezer and stores must be going down but it's not all that obvious. I suppose that's a good thing though. money saving wise Used the rest of the soup for lunch, making pork chops for dinner and the Thai chicken curry is in the slow cooker for tomorrow.

We were supposed to be going to a Ruby Wedding Anniversary party tomorrow but I don't really think Himself is quite up for it. Combination of feeling very breathless and, I suspect, feeling a bit down. I don't really know what to do about this. He won't admit that his feelings about the deaths of his sister and brother (a qood few years ago now) are a problem. I cope but I'm not sure that other people understand. Also, I don't think his general health is all it could be.

However, I digress. Moneywise, I'm very happy with how I'm doing and the tidying/decluttering is plodding along nicely. Wish I could say the same about the weight loss. The Boy has lost 20 pounds in six weeks just by cutting out snacking and drinking sweet fizzy drinks and alcohol (not that he drinks much of that anyway). Well basically. I rather suspect that he's eating much more healthily than he was doing before. Think I might have to take a leaf out of his book

So it's Friday. Have a lovely week-end.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Jul 19, 4:43 PM
    • 32,148 Posts
    • 189,909 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Toni's friend, that sounds very difficult for Himself and for you. And even though the deaths of the family members are years ago, that doesn't mean that they're grieved and healed, as you obviously know yourself. There are some things that haunt my extended family even now, that have caused huge splits in the last ten years or so For me, I try to pootle on as well as I can, though I do get a run of sleeplessness sometimes ... thats just how things are. Hope things get more manageable for you soon.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 19th Jul 19, 4:56 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 43,005 Thanks
    dolly84
    Hello Kat.

apple - well done to your niece. Hope things are OK with your neighbours going forward.

Toni'sFriend - it is much easier to lose weight when you are young and men seem to lose it easier too. Sorry to hear about your OH.

Went to work yesterday to be told they are offering me a permanent, part time contract, doing what I do now and same hours. When the contract comes I will tell them I have to have some proper training and then I will see.

Really heavy rain all day, has been lovely all week so we were gutted it rained today as the kids had their sports day. It is such a shame, they got a lift home rather than the bus but they were soaked to the skin.

Made two ebay sales yesterday which have been posted today, I bought a folding camping toaster with some of the money and put the rest in one of my piggy banks.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 19th Jul 19, 5:40 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 21,258 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Thank you, Kat and Dolly

I guess that's what life is all about. We muddle on and do the best we can. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's better. What we have to do is try and understand and if that's not possible we just have to accept;
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 19th Jul 19, 7:10 PM
    • 9,202 Posts
    • 70,678 Thanks
    apple muncher
    dolly - a folding camping toaster???

Today I am grateful for dd having a lovely final day at primary, for a good swim, for a nice shop in liddle, for the trams, for being able to help my neighbour, for dd coming home from school and almost immediately asking if her new sch uniform had arrived and then having a mega trying-on session (photos duly sent to family around the world!), for the holidays starting at last (although the borough doesn't officially finish until next Tues, dd's school are sensible enough to have the last 2 days as inset, and to ensure that the teachers do twilight sessions throughout the year so that they can finish early too).

Mortgage 15,451 (01/14: 78,201; 01/15: 59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 19th Jul 19, 10:46 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 30,095 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 7 checking in
    Hi all

Just a quick check in, seems quiet on the thread I suppose everyone is very busy..

No more NSDs to report: so still 8/12 Hopefully get some more soon

Have been spending, some on garden screening which is now taking up the hallway.

Today was also spendy - went to meet DF to treat her to lunch for her birthday. In the most appalling weather, I thought it a good idea to wear cream trousers....

Yesterday was hairdressers visit so also spendy, in my defence I haven't had a colour since before Christmas - and it showed.

DD is off on Sunday for 2 weeks in France so it should be a break for us, plus when she comes back I go away for 3 weeks...

Should be making jam tomorrow as Lidlley we called at was selling the big punnets of strawberries for 20p
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : 5500 OD GONE, 2000 OD - GONE 93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 20th Jul 19, 5:58 AM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 32,373 Thanks
    mothernerd
    To Ponder
    I have a great therapist, her name is beach

I like weird people. The black sheep, the odd ducks, the rejects, the eccentrics, the loners, the lost and the forgotten. More often than not, these people have the most beautiful souls.

Rather than being disheartened by the uncertainty of life, what if we accepted it and relaxed into it. What if we said'Yes this is the way it's meant to be human and sat down to enjoy the ride'

For Kat with thanks and appreciation for all you have done for us and the way you inspire us
    One day you will tell your story of how you overcame what you went through and it will become someone else's survival guide.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 20th Jul 19, 9:21 AM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 21,902 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Morning!
    Today I am going to be.... in..... S..P...A...C...E...! No, really I am,I have tickets and everything, its a (free) kids thing through the creat-a-c0n peoples, but I had to print tickets, so it is a thing. The kids might learn something, there is loads on at the minute about space because of the moon landing, so that will be my afternoon, and then a trip to the market while it is all at the cheapest prices (1 for 2lbs of cherries!). DS1 wants to buy snacks for his week away. I will let him, he seems taken with C0lin the Caterpillar, (until he sees the price tag!). So, off to do stuff.

MFW5/16 118,34010/17109,49 12/17 108,801/18 108,39 3/18 108,50 4/18108,10 5/18106,9 6/18105,9.7/18105,30 8/18103,9 9/18102,9 10/18101,9 11/18101,3 12/18100,71/19 99,999 2/19 99,500 1/3 98,9991/4 98,500 1/5 97,99 1/6 97,500 1/7 96,999.99 1/8 96,500
    MFW 2019 #65
    L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 20th Jul 19, 9:40 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    Morning everyone

Just catching up on everyone's news. Lots of kindness taking place.

I've been really busy with self employment roles & then went to my FT job yesterday afternoon/evening. Got free lunch and tea yesterday but was all bread based so carb overload and I felt stuffed and uncomfortable. Need to eat better but love bread!!
    Being at work yesterday from 9am-9pm means I achieved a NSD!! Now at 4 NSDs for July.
    Going into work later today and got self employment work to do at home too - once done I can submit invoice. Hoping the weather is dry as some of the event is outdoors.

I renewed my car insurance and took DD2 off as she is away and then on holiday so won't be driving the car for months; so made some significant savings and decided to pay in full so that's a saving each month of nearly 100 Also very kind parents are giving me one of their cars so DD2 can have my current car (subject to the insurance not being too scary!)

I love walking by canals too! Lots here in Cheshire as well as the Anderton Boat Lift - a lift for boats - amazing!!

Gratitudes - good meetings for self employment role and nice chats with colleagues; free meals yesterday; free half bottle of wine leftover from event; nice sleep last night.

Hope everyone has a good day
    Deni x
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    Total CCs 2,270.05/4,500

2 savers club 33
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 20th Jul 19, 10:52 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 7,214 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Hello everyone,

Been a while since last check in, have just been taking a break from things and having some time to myself.
    Thank you for all the well wishes. I am going to get there I just know it's gonna be a long ride.
    I have been trying to take as much "me" time as possible and trying to do stuff when I find myself sitting down and feeling low. The other day I give the kitchen a good clean.

DS was ill again last week (tonsilitis) so had a day off nursery and lots of mummy cuddles to feel better. His development has come on leaps and bounds though! Filling in his two year check (for the third time ) I am actually ticking the "always/often" box instead of "not yet" which is a massive step. He is also now asking in his own way to have his nappy changed and is actually answering yes now as well as no! To some people this may seem like the norm but for DS it is amazing as 6 months ago he only said about 3/4 words and would only hear you when you were in front of his face.

Not been keeping track of NSD but I don't think I have had many this month

Anyway off to go and catch up with the thread!

C xx
    Read my diaryHere
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 20th Jul 19, 11:57 AM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 43,005 Thanks
    dolly84
    apple - this is the toaster

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUMMIT-Folding-Toaster-Ideal-for-Camping-Fishing-Lightweight-Compact/323734723087?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

you can even make a cheese toasite with them , one at a time but camping is all about slowing down. I am currently trying to talk DH into wild camping in bivvies, he's not sure.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 20th Jul 19, 3:28 PM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 21,258 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD NO 16

We didn't go the the party. Himself phoned our friends this morning and they were quite understanding - asked if I'd like to go on my own. Just as well we didn't. He's now upstairs having a lie down. That's been happening more and more recently. He's looking very tired.

So dinner is done. Just to be heated through. I will have to shop tomorrow. Need veg and coffee.

Other than that I'm having a quiet day.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 20th Jul 19, 4:43 PM
    • 9,202 Posts
    • 70,678 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Thanks for the link dolly - it makes perfect sense now I see it!

Today I am grateful for getting some sleep (dd has been coughing through the night recently), for a lie-in until 7.30, for headspace, for a workout, for my wonderful evoo + himalayan sea salt body scrub, for dd choosing to go to dance classes, for my red goosegogs, for my sunflowers getting taller, for the Tour.

• sashanut
    • By sashanut 20th Jul 19, 10:25 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 30,095 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 7 checking in
    Hi all

Busy day again today, seem to have spent most of it in the kitchen...strawberry jam (well conserve, its a bit runny) made and chocolate cake made for the emergency services...last one for a few weeks.

Also made rice pilaff & honey chilli chicken, all gone now. Got ingredients ready for more chocolate cake - visitors tomorrow, but at least we should get a slice this time.

Am missing gardening but plenty of housework & baking to do first.

Still I did get an NSD today, so now on 9/12

Hang in there turtles
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : 5500 OD GONE, 2000 OD - GONE 93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 21st Jul 19, 6:29 AM
    • 9,202 Posts
    • 70,678 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Hope ds gets better quickly chocolatelover. Great to hear about his progress

• dolly84
    • By dolly84 21st Jul 19, 7:12 AM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 43,005 Thanks
    dolly84
    Morning.

The sun is shining today, it was supposed to rain all day yesterday but wasn't actually that bad after all. One load of washing is on the line and another is on the go.

I think I have had the last of my strawberries now so I need to find out what you do with the plants after they have finished fruiting. The raspberries that I put in this year have finished now but I should get a lot more fruit from them next year, I have had a lot from the wild rasperries that grow in my front garden, they are a bit smaller but still taste lovely. I am thinking about putting in a couple of small apple trees and a pear tree. A neighbour has two apple trees and they are quite compact, more shrub size really but he gets loads of golden delicious type apples, he never picks them but I've asked him if I can and he's fine with that.

Did some charity shop shopping yesterday, I got a cross body messenger type bag for my trip to Rome, it is a mans apparently but it is quite small and will fit my water bottle, purse etc.

DD's phone died yesterday, it has been getting slower and not holding its charge (only 2 years old but that seems to be the life span), now it won't charge at all. She wanted a new one for her birthday in December so we have replaced the phone but it will be half her birthday present and half the other December celebration, this is the same thing we did two years ago and it doesn't seem to be a problem for her. We already had the money set aside in the birthday fund.
    • Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 21st Jul 19, 8:48 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    Morning all,

Achieved NSD #5 yesterday!

Work event went well - commemoration garden for World War 1 - was a moving event. Weather was nice too so we were lucky.
    Came home and did some self employment work then chilled in the eve and had a glass from my free half bottle of wine

Going to make some payments to my CCs and then do some housework in prep for parents' visit!

Hope everyone has a good day
    Deni xx
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    Total CCs 2,270.05/4,500

2 savers club 33
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 21st Jul 19, 10:27 AM
    • 2,986 Posts
    • 32,373 Thanks
    mothernerd
    dolly the strawberries will put out runners - long strands of green with little lumps/ clumps about every 6 inches to a foot. The clumps are your new strawberry plants for next year - if there is room nearby, just shove them into the soil (leave them attached to the 'mother' plant until they have established them selves.

You can also peg or weight them down (with a stone) and let them dig them selves in. They will do this them selves naturally but if you want to choose where they go or space them evenly, put them where you want them. If there isn't room in the bed where they are or you are giving them to someone else, plant /peg or weight the 'clumps' in their new location.

Strictly speaking strawberry plants last about 3 years and when they were grown by rich people with hundreds of gardeners they would be rotated across 3 beds (second bed from first year runners) with the first bed cleared completely after the third year. This isn't absolutely necessary (just discard any diseased plants or pick the best to keep if space is limited) it was a 'make work' to keep young gardeners out of mischief - like tying all the daffodils in neat knots after floering.

I originally bought a dozen plants (came in a small bag) and spread them all over my small yard (died when I moved to the other house). Mum had some of my runners and had hundreds of plants at her partner's house (he had a long narrow back garden which had been used like an allotment and well fed over the years).

Lots were transplanted to the bungalow. They were put in a side bed and the ground surrounded by stones. The runners tend to race across on to the flagged area and I've spent many hours putting them back on the bed (cleared the stones away to access the soil) and getting them to grow nearer the fence. I also took an old raised bed of mine there, put it together, lines it with weed suppressant fabric and some of last years runners are in there (not yet fully covered but in a few weeks we will have many more runners). Going to bring some back here.

Raspberries - it's worth sacrificing the odd cane by bending it flat across the ground and burying it under the soil (may need to weight it down with stones or pegs or it may spring up again). You won't get fruit from that cane but will have lots of new canes next year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,200Posts Today

6,395Users online

Martin's Twitter