Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 4:07 PM
    • 2,194Posts
    • 14,299Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 4:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 4:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 5:36 PM.
Page 115
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 17th Jul 19, 9:04 AM
    • 3,924 Posts
    • 36,102 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I love the thought of you both sitting chatting with Hoppy, yesterday while I was gardening I was talking to a baby Robin and a young very spotty blackbird, neither of which seemed to have learned to be cautious around human beans yet. They both kept coming back and getting within a couple of feet of me all afternoon, as and when I spotted them (head down weeding herbaceous border) I did my statue impressions and just loved their presence. They were later rewarded with several handfuls of dried meal worms as there are no worms to be found in my newly dug bits of soil.
    Last edited by maddiemay; 17-07-2019 at 9:05 AM. Reason: typo
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • edwink
    • By edwink 17th Jul 19, 5:15 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 14,299 Thanks
    edwink
    Hi everyone

Hoppy is doing ok thankfully and we spent quite a bit of time on the lawn with her today, several times just chatting away like you do to a duck. She just keeps looking at us as if to say what are you going on about you two. She enjoyed some freshly cut up cucumber and I gave her some very wet lettuce because I thought she wasn't drinking enough today. She gobbled all that lot up so there is nothing wrong with her appetite. I just wish she wouldn't share her bowl of food with the local pigeon population. She just lets them dip in and out of it and a few of the pigeons stand in it too. Would like to change her food bowl but really wanted to keep everything that she is familiar with. I'll have a think on that one.

Good news, really good news!. We have finished the fence . What an absolute pain in the backside that job was but now we have much less of a hedge to cut back twice a year and foxes won't be able to get out through it like they have done before as we have blocked a huge percentage of it. The reused fence panels were fitted sideways so reach a height of 6ft 6 and the hedge is 8ft tall so hopefully that should be ok now, fingers crossed.

Still have the netting to fit hopefully tomorrow and Friday but as I'm hobbling a bit because I pulled a muscle in the back of my leg. Got my feet up now so hopefully it won't play me up tomorrow. Got frozen thingy on it which is helping a bit so we will need to see how it is in the morning. The netting to be done is about 2 lengths of around 50ft I guess. We will fix batons to the original fencing and leave them around 3ft higher or so, then we can pin the netting along the length of the batons. The netting is quite dense so won't be too see through unlike the chicken wire that is over the fencing there already. The hens and ducks never used to be allowed to go in this area because the fences were see through above 3ft high but we want to give it added security just in case a fox tries in desperation to get in over these fence panels. This fencing runs down a huge bank so fingers crossed it's not too difficult to fit the netting up OMG . If the job goes smoothly we will both be very happy that all I can say about it at the moment especially sitting here nursing my bad leg.

Thank you so much for your support everyone. It is making such a difference it really is, especially since I lost so many of my feathered friends in one go 4 months ago and was incredibly upset about it. Your encouragement is brilliant, that's what I like about our hen and duck thread. Although some of you do not keep hens and ducks it is so lovely that you are there for us hen and duck keepers supporting us along the way. Many thanks x

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    1 Duck called Hoppy Nine Lives. RIP Pingu
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • edwink
    • By edwink 17th Jul 19, 5:26 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 14,299 Thanks
    edwink
    I love the thought of you both sitting chatting with Hoppy, yesterday while I was gardening I was talking to a baby Robin and a young very spotty blackbird, neither of which seemed to have learned to be cautious around human beans yet. They both kept coming back and getting within a couple of feet of me all afternoon, as and when I spotted them (head down weeding herbaceous border) I did my statue impressions and just loved their presence. They were later rewarded with several handfuls of dried meal worms as there are no worms to be found in my newly dug bits of soil.
    Originally posted by maddiemay

Such a lovely little story and it looks like you have made a couple of little feathered friends there maddiemay. They love it if someone is weeding and always hope for a worm or two but how nice to give them meal worms as there wasn't any. Two very lucky little birds I think . We have a couple of nearly tame Robins, not got them to come to my hand yet but I am working on it. As you say you have to stand like a statue and they can and will come very close. I'm sure if you give it time and of course treat them to more meal worms you will get them to come closer still. Do let us know how you get on with them.

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • edwink
    • By edwink 20th Jul 19, 4:32 PM
    • 2,194 Posts
    • 14,299 Thanks
    edwink
    We sat and had a lovely one sided chat this afternoon

Hens & ducks chat thread
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Jul 19, 9:33 PM
    • 31,906 Posts
    • 188,324 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Adorable! And there's a "listening" attitude as well! Bless
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,528Users online

Martin's Twitter