Keeping on the Straight and Narrow...

Options

Comments

• ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    The job sounds amazing!! Is that going to be full time?
    Love the idea of flexible hours and Christmas time shut down is the dream :beer:
    Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • DancingInTheRain
    DancingInTheRain Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 July 2019 at 6:34PM
    Options
    Thanks everyone x

It’s taken a lot of negotiation but well worth it for the outcome. I've been working for 23 years and never had a Christmas off so can't wait :D

The job is part time, depending on what work is scheduled in a particular week I'll either work 3 full days at 9-5 or 4 part time days. There is a little bit of scope to work from home too to catch up on paperwork but I'll need to be mainly office based from what I can gather.

The terms and conditions of the job really are fantastic and couldn't have come at a better time with having a young family, but as long as I get my head down and work hard I should be able to get a great work/life balance.

I am aware there is a lot of office politics in this place but I've been in similar situations in the past and tend not to get involved and just focus on my own work and that of my team. Thankfully I'll be in a team with 2 old colleagues who I've maintained friendships with so safety in numbers and all that :o
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just caught up on your diary. Congrats on the new job and well done on all those ebay sales, surveys etc that bring in extra income.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • DancingInTheRain
    edited 19 July 2019 at 7:42PM
    Options
    Thanks savingholmes, I don't know how good I'll be at all the little extras now that I'm back at work but it's certainly been worthwhile the last few weeks. I need to check in on your diary properly too :) x
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Well done Dancing, your new job sounds great. :beer::j What a difference not working weekends and Christmas will make to family life as well. :T

Hope you enjoyed your takeaway and wine. :)
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • DancingInTheRain
    Options
    Thanks Sashybo and I can confirm both the takeaway & wine were delicious :p
  • Mummy_bear
    Mummy_bear Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 July 2019 at 3:25PM
    Options
    Just catching up. Wonderful news about the job :T

As for the chicken pox.....none of kids have had it and it'll be my luck they get it now I'm back at work and then it'll be a long drawn out process! Hope your DS1 didn't suffer too much x
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
    £40773.61 /£46444.23 87.8% paid
  • DancingInTheRain
    Options
    Thank you, hopefully you’ll remain chicken pox free! X
  • DancingInTheRain
    Options
    Quite a busy Saturday, lots done in the house, visited Mum. DH & DS1 had the morning out for some boys time, Lidl shop. Once the kids were settled in bed, DH and I watched a couple of films - the first time I've done so without falling asleep for about 2 years :rotfl: I'm terrible at sitting down to relax, the minute I stop I just want to fall asleep :o

So £34.97 grocery spends today, this means I have spent more than last month with 5 days to go until pay day. Shouldn't need anything until then, possibly fruit so will try to avoid the shops as much as possible.

DH also had to fill up with fuel £56.72.

DH used personal spends to buy himself and DS1 a drink and snack while they were out.

I've also had a couple of low personal spends as ordered an academic diary (£1.99) to help with being organised for the new job and a new phone case (99p) as mine is damage following DS1 dropping it on a hard floor. At least it was only the case that got damaged, the phone's fine.

Having tracked spends for a couple of months and reading more about how others budget I'm thinking about managing our budget slightly differently from next pay day, will spend a few more days thinking this other before making a final decision.

July Spends Tracking
    NSD's = 8/28
    Groceries = £377.36 (Daily Average £13.48 (June Daily Average £13.36))
    Fuel = £219.17 (£49.67 Me/£169.50 DH) Higher than last month, as predicted.
    Clothes = £91.40 (Dress & Shoes for Interview) (Summer clothes for me, socks and summer shoes for DS's)
    Hair = £15.00 (DH & DS1)
    Entertainment = £56.89 (Trip to the Seaside, local carnival parade, takeaway)
  • DancingInTheRain
    edited 21 July 2019 at 7:59PM
    Options
    Happy Sunday :) hope everyone has had a great weekend.

Quiet day for us, relaxed this morning. my brother and sister in law visited us this afternoon, DH working and the boys are just having some quiet time before bed.

NSD :T which takes me up to 9 for the month.

Just had a message from the builder who did a lot of work for us last year to say he's coming to finish some external work for us this week. It's a smallish but essential job relating to rendering and weatherproofing a new wall that there's never been any rush to do so just told him to come whenever but that'll be roughly £400 to find. We'll probably do a mix of wages and savings to cover this but is likely to affect debt repayment amounts next month.

Weekly update on surveys:

Yougov - 1675/5000
    OnePoll - £8.45/£25.00
    Prolific - £1.43/£5.00 confirmed, £3.20 pending
    vypr - 5780/10000
    Receipt Hog - 226/1500
    Shoppix - 2960/3200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income