Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 31st Dec 18, 3:30 PM
    • 1,252Posts
    • 9,288Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge
    • 31st Dec 18, 3:30 PM
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 31st Dec 18 at 3:30 PM
    Welcome to the 2019 Fashion On The Ration Challenge. The 2018 thread was very successful and can be found here. Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, several of us are continuing our "Fashion on the Ration" challenge into 2019.

Even after last year’s challenge, I still have an overflowing wardrobe. Half of my coupons went on yarn, so rather than decreasing my yarn stash it grew considerably. My aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
    • 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw atthe Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
    • Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons.

I’ve already purchased a new suit for 2019, so will start the year deducting that from my total coupons: a double breasted jacket (11 coupons), skirt (7 coupons) and trousers (6 coupons). That’s 24 coupons already spent, leaving me with 42 for the rest of the year.

- Pip

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 14-02-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 33
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 15th Jul 19, 6:07 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 37,938 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Oh Pip, that's awful - so sorry...
    Angie

GC Aug 19 - 333.18/450
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 39 coupons left out of 66

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 15th Jul 19, 7:19 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 25,950 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    What awful news, Pip - so sorry (and thanks for the update, Laura).
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 15th Jul 19, 8:44 PM
    • 8,721 Posts
    • 19,407 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Oh heavens, that poor lady and her loved ones.

Much love Pip xx

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 46\66 IT'S THE YARN
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 15th Jul 19, 8:58 PM
    • 3,949 Posts
    • 36,298 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Oh how awful, Pip so sorry. x
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 16th Jul 19, 11:23 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 9,288 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Thank you, all of you, for your support and kind words. Laura's PM was lovely and helped too.

It was the shock, more than anything else. And the wave of empathy for the groom. (That poor man! I can't even imagine what he's going through.) There were six of his friends from the UK at the wedding in November and we're all slightly at a loss about what to do next. He's been in NZ a long time. The bride was a Kiwi, so he'll have her large family to deal with - there were dozens - as well as some close friends to comfort him.

Hug your friends, my dears, and tell them that you love them.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 17th Jul 19, 9:06 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere

Hug your friends, my dears, and tell them that you love them.

- Pip
    Originally posted by PipneyJane
    And even your online friends who don't technically exactly know you as such but still care about you... more {{{{hugs}}}} for you, Pip xx
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 19.5 coupons left out of 66
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 17th Jul 19, 9:11 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Hurrah, I had a day in bed yesterday lurgied with the throat/cold that has laid out my chap for days now, and was barely able to think but did use the time to hand-sew the pockets into the black linen skirt, and while I was about it, sort out the over-wide elastic at the back of the waist which always had been prone to folding and twisting inside its over-wide channel. In replacing it with normal inch-wide elastic in a snugger channel, I was able to lengthen the back by about 1.5" which makes the skirt look tons better (my backside tends to shorten skirts at the back horribly). I shall keep an eye open for some suitably nice ribbon to bind the inside of the hem, just for prettiness, and I need to do some overstitching to tidy up ragged bits on the front waistband, but otherwise, it's looking nice!

So now I have a really nice skirt, from one which I had planned to get rid of! And no coupons spent!

I hope this afternoon to get on with making my green linen skirt. Buttonholes down the front to do, pockets to insert, buttons to sew on, and hem to measure, check and hand-sew...

I am really starting to get the hang of this - trying to make or re-make or alter what clothes/fabric I already have, to make things which fit better and suit me better than anything I could buy!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 18th Jul 19, 8:29 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 9,288 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    And even your online friends who don't technically exactly know you as such but still care about you... more {{{{hugs}}}} for you, Pip xx
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Thank you. You're a Honey, as are all the ladies on this thread.

Hurrah, I had a day in bed yesterday lurgied with the throat/cold that has laid out my chap for days now, and was barely able to think but did use the time to hand-sew the pockets into the black linen skirt, and while I was about it, sort out the over-wide elastic at the back of the waist which always had been prone to folding and twisting inside its over-wide channel. In replacing it with normal inch-wide elastic in a snugger channel, I was able to lengthen the back by about 1.5" which makes the skirt look tons better (my backside tends to shorten skirts at the back horribly). I shall keep an eye open for some suitably nice ribbon to bind the inside of the hem, just for prettiness, and I need to do some overstitching to tidy up ragged bits on the front waistband, but otherwise, it's looking nice!

So now I have a really nice skirt, from one which I had planned to get rid of! And no coupons spent!

I hope this afternoon to get on with making my green linen skirt. Buttonholes down the front to do, pockets to insert, buttons to sew on, and hem to measure, check and hand-sew...

I am really starting to get the hang of this - trying to make or re-make or alter what clothes/fabric I already have, to make things which fit better and suit me better than anything I could buy!
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Laura, I'm in awe, if that is the type of crafty inspiration hits you when you're ill. I hope you feel better soon.

I started sewing up Summer Jumpers Are Casual, last night, starting with hand sewing in grosgrain ribbon to support the button band and starting on setting in the sleeves. I think the sleeves will be just large enough for the armholes, after the modifications I did (adding 10 rows to each front shoulder to increase the neckline). I'm half way through stitching the first one into position.

- Pip

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 18th Jul 19, 12:12 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 25,950 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    'starting to get the hang of this' - honestly Laura, you seem to me to be streets ahead of most people in this respect!

I have had too much work and not enough time recently - things are getting a bit quieter over the next week or two and I am determined I'm going to tackle my phobia of altering things, especially things I have made.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 20th Jul 19, 8:56 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Polly, is there something that only needs a really simple alteration that you could put on top of the pile and then sit down and do it, and feel your confidence rise a little?
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 20th Jul 19, 9:00 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    It's only mid-July, but I'm finding my mind drifting towards autumn clothing already, and even winter!

I'm making myself a cosy fitted cardigan-jacket, mostly for wearing indoors in winter but it would pass outdoors too - the pale cream is yarn from the jumper that my Mum never knitted me from Xmas 2013, and I'm just working out what to use with it for a patterned cardi.... I had planned to go out and buy, but I'm carefully considering what I have already AND then considering what colour skirts and tops I war in winter, and what will go with those, and it looks like I just about have enough without spending more coupons.

I think it's the first time I've EVER made design decisions based on "now what will go with what I wear most in my existing wardrobe for that time of year?"!

(Pale bluebell-blue, fyi - the ivroy/cream is Aran weight pure-wool, and the blue is bulky weight wool-synth, and they knit up fine together on 6mm needles and I machine washed the sample piece twice to find out how it behaves! )
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 21st Jul 19, 4:46 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    I'm feeling quite chuffed - I have a mac again.

I've been searching for at least four years for a new mac to replace the one I had when I was at work. (it was a Jack Murphy, so cut like a riding coat, and came down to my knees, which is very useful when the rain is going horizontally). I didn't find anything I liked though. So I took the coat to the military tailors, and they have replaced the zip for me, for the princely sum of 15 which I thought wasn't bad, and certainly a lot cheaper than a new mac.... (Sorry, I don't have sewing skills like Laura!)

I've just washed it, and I will have to reproof it, but hopefully it will keep going for another year or two, or even longer.
    Last edited by CapricornLass; 21-07-2019 at 4:47 PM. Reason: rephrased for greater clairty
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 21st Jul 19, 5:03 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 37,938 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Oooh, ooh, ooh - I shall need to buy (or make) a dress! But I have about a year's run-up, which is probably just as well; I might need to lose a few pounds & shape up a bit first too. It seems there's going to be a family holiday abroad next year, with a ceremony & celebration attached! All very exciting, but not official yet, so I can't bounce too much until it is. But I'm already thinking, something in a dusky rose pink...
    Angie

GC Aug 19 - 333.18/450

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 21st Jul 19, 7:25 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I'm feeling quite chuffed - I have a mac again.

I've been searching for at least four years for a new mac to replace the one I had when I was at work. (it was a Jack Murphy, so cut like a riding coat, and came down to my knees, which is very useful when the rain is going horizontally). I didn't find anything I liked though. So I took the coat to the military tailors, and they have replaced the zip for me, for the princely sum of 15 which I thought wasn't bad, and certainly a lot cheaper than a new mac.... (Sorry, I don't have sewing skills like Laura!)

I've just washed it, and I will have to reproof it, but hopefully it will keep going for another year or two, or even longer.
    Originally posted by CapricornLass
    Oh well done!!!

Now THAT is exactly what this challenge is about!

you could have bought a new coat - all the environmental waste of manufacture and transport, not to mention disposing of the old one...

But for less money, you keep the coat you really like, rejuvenated for years to come!

BRILLIANT!!!!!

(and things like putting in proper zips in coats are the kind of thing I'd go to a professional for!)
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 21st Jul 19, 7:28 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 2,666 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Oooh, ooh, ooh - I shall need to buy (or make) a dress! But I have about a year's run-up, which is probably just as well; I might need to lose a few pounds & shape up a bit first too. It seems there's going to be a family holiday abroad next year, with a ceremony & celebration attached! All very exciting, but not official yet, so I can't bounce too much until it is. But I'm already thinking, something in a dusky rose pink...
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    How exciting!

Is it... let's just say, is it the kind of thing you need a Hat for as well as a Dress?

Lovely, lovely... can we help plan the dress? Is it for hot weather or middling? Formal or more casual? Are you the sort who prefers a tailored shift-dress with tailored jacket, or the floaty chiffon layers with a delicate crochet-lace wrap, or vintage full skirts and a little cardigan, or what?

I'm excited on your behalf! I look forward to watching the progress.... and if you want to join forces on losing a bit of weight, I'd be happy to do something like committing to walking a certain distance each week, or on so many days of the week, or something...
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 23rd Jul 19, 3:02 PM
    • 3,082 Posts
    • 37,938 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    How exciting!

Is it... let's just say, is it the kind of thing you need a Hat for as well as a Dress?
    Um - not sure, Laura! Under normal circumstances, that'd be a yes, but the happy couple want it very, very laid-back & relaxed. The plan is for it to take place somewhere generally warmer than the UK; it'll be off to the Town Hall or wherever, then back to jump in the pool & light the barbie! Immediate family & close friends only.

I'm kind of tailored top, layered/swirly skirt, but absolutely the (HM) crochet wrap - possibly even with sequins - no-one would recognise me without sequins!

I generally walk 3-4 times a week, 2-3 miles each time, with DD1, weather permitting, on top of general pottering about. Plus a dance session for 1 hours on a Tuesday, and I have a swim pass that I'll start using in autumn, once it's too dark in the evening to pop down to the beach. (Although it'll be far easier to park down there then!) I'd struggle to fit much more in, timewise; I think I probably need to fit a bit less in, in the sense of food, for a while! Just - not eat the treats, or keep "testing" the stuff I'm cooking!

My usual way of losing weight is just to make sure I'm hungry at mealtimes, by cutting out snacks, and not eating until I'm absolutely full, just pleasantly satiated. However I've just spoken to the nurses down at the hospital, and basically their message is not to expect things to bounce back to exactly how they used to be, so that may not work this time.

And here's something that I hope will make you all laugh... my very-academic DS3 has been up in the Lake District on a church jamboree, and much to our surprise we got a postcard from him this morning. Carefully dated 21/07/2019 A.D. (in case there was any doubt) he finished it with, "Mum, went to Penrith on Friday (actually, it was Saturday) but you would very much love to live there. I counted no less than two sewing/wool shops. All best, J"

Bless his cotton socks! (Actually, they're bamboo...)
    Angie

GC Aug 19 - 333.18/450

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 23rd Jul 19, 3:04 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 9,288 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Ooohhh!!!!!! Does the secret word start with a "w"? (Ssshhhh..... I won't tell anyone....)

Re the dress, you like floaty or fitted? If the latter, now is the time to start scoping out fabric. A nice silk, perhaps?

- Pip

• PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 23rd Jul 19, 3:08 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 9,288 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Um - not sure, Laura! Under normal circumstances, that'd be a yes, but the happy couple want it very, very laid-back & relaxed. The plan is for it to take place somewhere generally warmer than the UK; it'll be off to the Town Hall or wherever, then back to jump in the pool & light the barbie! Immediate family & close friends only.

I'm kind of tailored top, layered/swirly skirt, but absolutely the (HM) crochet wrap - possibly even with sequins - no-one would recognise me without sequins!

And here's something that I hope will make you all laugh... my very-academic DS3 has been up in the Lake District on a church jamboree, and much to our surprise we got a postcard from him this morning. Carefully dated 21/07/2019 A.D. (in case there was any doubt) he finished it with, "Mum, went to Penrith on Friday (actually, it was Saturday) but you would very much love to live there. I counted no less than two sewing/wool shops. All best, J"

Bless his cotton socks! (Actually, they're bamboo...)
    We cross posted, I think. You could do a beaded wrap or one with sequins - there's a method where you just put the bead on your hook as you loop the crochet stitch and you don't have to thread the yarn full of beads first.

Sounds like your son is well trained.

- Pip

• maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 26th Jul 19, 12:40 PM
    • 3,949 Posts
    • 36,298 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Hi everyone, I hope that you are all able to find somewhere cool to hide away.

I am slightly surprised and pleased at my mindset since joining this challenge. I didn't buy a lot of new clothes anyway, but was always happy to if nothing suitable turned up in the CS. Illness caused me to loose a lot of weight, (always at the upper goal of WW from when I used them years ago), resulting in giving away all the lovely cool linen/linen mix/cotton summer clothes that I had acquired over the years and for the second year not been able to find suitable replacements in the CS. This week I have found one or two things in the sales, but now begrudge the coupons, so am resisting. I did find a lovely floaty skirt today, so now have two tidy ones and one very boho one that I can garden/do housework in, still need trousers, but will make do and watch and wait.

No touched my knitting, far too warm here for working with wool for me sadly.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 26th Jul 19, 1:29 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 9,288 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Hi everyone, I hope that you are all able to find somewhere cool to hide away.

I am slightly surprised and pleased at my mindset since joining this challenge. I didn't buy a lot of new clothes anyway, but was always happy to if nothing suitable turned up in the CS. Illness caused me to loose a lot of weight, (always at the upper goal of WW from when I used them years ago), resulting in giving away all the lovely cool linen/linen mix/cotton summer clothes that I had acquired over the years and for the second year not been able to find suitable replacements in the CS. This week I have found one or two things in the sales, but now begrudge the coupons, so am resisting. I did find a lovely floaty skirt today, so now have two tidy ones and one very boho one that I can garden/do housework in, still need trousers, but will make do and watch and wait.
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    Sometimes you get lucky in Charity Shops, sometimes not. It can take an awful lot of hunting. Do you keep a list? You may find what you need out of season. Not much good if you need them now, but it will mean you're equipped for summer 2020.

No touched my knitting, far too warm here for working with wool for me sadly.
    I've done a bit of knitting in the heat, but I'm really fussy about the yarn I'm using and nothing I'm knitting rests in my lap. Is your yarn hairy or smooth? Several years ago now, I stupidly took some mohair on holiday with me to Oman. The plan was to crochet it into something. I lasted half a (very small) motif before I put it back in my suitcase. It was so uncomfortably sticky. Fortunately, I had a sock lurking in my handbag, so I knitted on that instead.

- Pip

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,699Posts Today

6,950Users online

Martin's Twitter