Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 5,536Posts
    • 33,732Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 7:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 7:51 AM.

Page 446
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Jul 19, 10:27 AM
    • 5,536 Posts
    • 33,732 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

I've no idea if we got the forecasted thunder, if we did I slept through it! There was a lot of rain though and the garden is completely saturated. It's supposed to get sunny later so I'm hoping to get outdoors for a bit if it does.
    I've chicken and few roast veg LO from last night, I'm still not 100% what all my son put in the marinade but it was really taste. I'll add the LOs to various salady bits for lunch. I'm not sure about dinner tonight I kind of fancy meatballs & spaghetti but not sure if I cba making tomato sauce today so might have a rethink on that.

• whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 20th Jul 19, 10:32 AM
    • 596 Posts
    • 4,155 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Some mince and veg out of freezer and garden gone into SC, some will be removed later to change into something else, chilli, bol etc, the rest will do for a few days. Have added lentils to bulk out the meat so could turn into anything.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jul 19, 10:49 AM
    • 66,721 Posts
    • 391,634 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I've just had an early lunch... 1 toasted bread crust, half a tin of beans and a heap of grated cheese that I bought 4 hours ago.

Filling, hot, tasty. Little washing up.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 20th Jul 19, 2:19 PM
    • 7,493 Posts
    • 14,546 Thanks
    Farway
    Caron one very nice Syrup loaf sampled, still warm. I made the greedy guts 2lb size, mainly 'cos I only have 2lb tins and CBA to try & divi it up

I think some ginger would go well in there, but being ex WW2 recipe no doubt that was not readily available

I've cobbled together a spud salad for tonight, added some frozen peas and same of sweetcorn

Sun's out now, quite warm out there, quick spin round garden, some of the dahlias have been bashed about but otherwise OK
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jul 19, 3:50 PM
    • 66,721 Posts
    • 391,634 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I got one of the portions of steak pie from the freezer and I made some mash, then stuck it in the fridge to nuke later with the pie.

The pie's cooking right now and as I stood beside the pie, with the mash, expecting to put it into the nuker, I thought "I'll have a bit of that". I've always loved cold mash ... and then I thought "why re-heat it? just have cold mash with hot pie/gravy".

So that's the plan.

Pie/mash will be served in about 10 minutes.

EDIT: Did that, utterly gorgeous
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 20-07-2019 at 4:07 PM.
    • elona
    • By elona 20th Jul 19, 6:16 PM
    • 11,151 Posts
    • 63,468 Thanks
    elona
    Three dds came for lunch so I made a large steak and onion pie, actifry potato wedges and cabbage with apple and onion which they all seemed to enjoy. Gave middle dd half of the pie to take home for her and fiance so they had an easy meal. She reckons I have bought so much stuff it is a duty to help me out by taking some when offered like dish and laundry liquids, kitchen roll etc. I shared my theory that prices are going up and pack sizes are getting smaller so it was sensible to stock up when there was a good deal but I don't think she was convinced.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 20th Jul 19, 6:20 PM
    • 5,536 Posts
    • 33,732 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    That sounds like my kind of cooking whmf - bung it and take it from there.
    Glad the loaf worked for you Farway - yes I can see some added ginger working well.
    With you on the cold mash PN, mind I just love mash in guise.
    SD loaf is shaped and in the fridge, not sure it's my best effort as the "wonky donkey" is tapping but we'll see how it bakes tomorrow.
    It was lovely and sunny for a couple of hours, my sis popped round and we sat in the garden with a cuppa enjoying the weather, however no gardening done as I've run out of sit down jobs to do and couldn't face standing to dead head the wall baskets so a task for another day.
    Lunch was a large bowl of salad veg with the LO chicken/roast veg, very ripe avocado and ceasar dressing on top. It was scrummy . Freezer rake for dinner possibly involving beans, oven chips and something beige.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jul 19, 8:05 PM
    • 66,721 Posts
    • 391,634 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    With you on the cold mash PN, mind I just love mash in guise.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I've always loved mash. School dinners, slightly lumpy, mash and home made mash which was a knob of marg, tiny splash of milk and then mashed down with a simple masher.

I don't bother with milk these days myself, just potato and a knob of butter.

When I've had mash "out", or seen it in supermarkets it's closer to wallpaper paste in my opinion and I really don't like that consistency.

I like a nice, simple, fairly dry textured mash, with texture. I use a fork to mash mine due to quantities involved being small.

One meal I've had in the past, made deliberately, and enjoyed thoroughly, was simply sliced carrots, sliced swede, a pile of mash and gravy!

It's up there in my "dream meals" list
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jul 19, 8:13 PM
    • 66,721 Posts
    • 391,634 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    5:2 Diet.

I nodded off on the sofa, having set up iPlayer to watch something that caught my eye.... and when I woke up, as iPlayer was on auto play, it'd just kept playing random programmes after the one I'd chosen.

I woke up close to the end of some Horizon programme, where Michael Mosley was looking at ageing/diets and had gone to America and the programme I woke up to had him testing his blood levels for critical stuff, then he did a 3 day fast and tested again. All his "bad readings" had dropped and he was impressed, but didn't think he could ever go through that again and the man in America said he'd have to do it once every 2 months for life to maintain those significant results.

So he tried other research/methods.

The next one he tried was Alternate Day Fasting (ADF). Eat 400-500 cals a day (women) or 500-600/day (men) one day - and the next day eat what you want. The scientist there had him fast one day - and the next they were pigging out in a Drive Through Burger place. He found this one more appealling than the 4-day fasts.

Then he wanted to explore more and tried the 5:2. He tested before and afterwards and found his important body readings had improved signficantly and he was probably avoiding becoming diabetic and other stuff (stuff that his father died of). Although he found this one harder (especially when with other people, e.g. on a walking holiday), he thinks the 5:2 Diet is probably his chosen way forward ... as he feels he has to do something as he doesn't want to die of what his dad died of.

I think I'll stick the 5:2 on my "might get round to that" list, as, having sat here for a year while I sell my house, I've definitely headed off along the route of scoffing far too much, too often (especially those sweeties). I wasn't cooking/eating properly as I always had an eye on "what if the phone rings and somebody wants to view" and the mess/mayhem that cooking/eating/washing up creates each time.

Back burner for that one.... but the idea's implanted. I thought Tue/Wed, or Wed/Thu for the "2" part might be doable at some point, to see. It'd certainly reduce the feeling that one has to perpetually be thinking of food/meals/cooking/eating.

Worth a watch if you're vaguely interested, or at a loose end: iPlayer
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc/horizon-20122013-3-eat-fast-and-live-longer
    • Farway
    • By Farway 21st Jul 19, 9:48 AM
    • 7,493 Posts
    • 14,546 Thanks
    Farway
    5.2 diet thoughts. I have seen that programme, and it is a popular method of dieting because it is so structured and doesn't need a lot of planning or "faddy foods". Not for me but it really should be given my current weight

I like mash, is there anyone who doesn't? I hated Navy mash, it was powdered mainly and lumps were just dry powder not a bit of spud
    PN, spuds mashed with forks in Chef speak are "Crushed" not mashed, helps to keep up the poncyness quotient & price

Last night's spud salad & LO lamb went well, I've still got some LO so that's today's dinner sorted

Breakfast porridge
    Lunch, back to cheese sarnie

Had a shock yesterday, I opened a new pack of L's cheese, BBE mid Sept. It was as green as my face. I binned it.
    I know I could've removed the green bits, but it was green furry all over so didn't fancy my chances, and CBA to take it back, not going in L's 'til Tuesday. Must've had a puncture in the packaging somewhere
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 21st Jul 19, 12:23 PM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 23,104 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I too love mash!

I had a sandwich for breakfast and I have leftover onion soup for lunch.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 21st Jul 19, 12:31 PM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 23,104 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Weird, I thought today was Saturday!

I was telling my husband that he was wrong.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 21st Jul 19, 7:06 PM
    • 5,536 Posts
    • 33,732 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    My preference is for very smooth mash but no wallpaper paste please! I think getting a floury spud, letting it dry and not overworking it are essential. One of my favourite gadgets is my potato ricer, it helps make the "best" IMHO mash. I'm happy with lumpier mash as a topping on pies or in fishcakes etc. but while I thoroughly enjoy "crushed" new spuds they're definitely not what I call mash.
    Today didn't start terribly well, I woke out just before 5am needing the loo and got out of bed to be bit by violent vertigo so staggered to the loo, took meds and headed back to bed as quickly as I could. Thankfully I fell back to sleep once the meds kicked in and when I woke just before 10am it had passed and felt much better. I've been fine all day as long as I'm cautious in my movements and fingers crossed it's just the changing weather triggering it as we have another storm hit. It's very wet and windy tonight.

Sourdough loaf got baked and it looks just fine though I haven't cut it yet. I forgot to mention yesterday that I think my much-loved Kenwood Chef is dying. It's a 1960s/early 70s model that I bought second hand 11 years ago and certainly doesn't owe anyone anything. It is something I will replace but I'm mulling over buying another one the same or buying a new one. I can't justify use wise splurging on a Kitchen Aid or high spec Kenwood but a bit reluctant to replace with another A701A as the plastic bits on mine are getting very brittle with age which I suspect must be the same for all those still on the go.
    I've got a pot of tomato sauce simmering not for use tonight but really to replenish my freezer stash as I've run out. Only took 5 minutes to put together so an easy job to do.
    Lunch was crackers with cheese & pickle, cucumber sticks, radishes & tomatoes. I've a gammon steak defrosted for tonight which I'm cooking with pineapple and having with courgettte wedges (there was a lovely looking round courgette ready), mushrooms, 1/2 a corn cob and a couple of roasted small new spuds.

• Brambling
    • By Brambling 21st Jul 19, 8:06 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 5,994 Thanks
    Brambling
    Evening all

I'm back home and knac very tired . I left home 6am Friday and missed the worst of the traffic. Driving home tonight was a PITA queues to leave Dorset and the M27 has 15 miles of restrictions and issues at junction 2 due to diversions from the M271, i've never been so glad to see Pompey . I did wave Farway . There were 2 hours of show tunes on bbc Solent so I sang all along the motorway, Zip-a-Dee-doo-dah anyone, luckily no one else was in the car to deafen. it took me 2.5 hours to get home

No blood was shred and I've the same number of sisters as when we started and I was very almost tactful but I've a sore tongue and lip from constantly biting them the emergency gin has been sampled.

I'm too tired to cook so after a quick cuddle with his lordship I've airfried some falafels from the freezer with a small spinach salad and a flat bread

Caronc I hope you're feeling better

PN a friend tried the 5:2 diet when he wrote the first book and said the 500 calories a day wasn't easy and although she initially lost weight found it difficult to keep up and through more about food than before. I think he changed it in a later book, something about 800 calories rings a bell.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 22nd Jul 19, 8:53 AM
    • 7,493 Posts
    • 14,546 Thanks
    Farway
    Brambling, thanks for the wave, good job it was yesterday, I see this morning there are goats blocking the road, not kidding

I also think the 5.2 went to 800, which makes it far easier to stick to, as long as a syrup cake is not lurking in the kitchen

Up later this morning, don't know if the weather is affecting me, it's quite close & dull, doesn't matter too much as apart from changing the bedding I've nothing else exciting planned for the day

Usual porridge breakfast

I've popped a ready mix sun dried tom & Parmesan loaf in the Panny, smelling nice. It was getting close to use by date, and the yeast could lose it's oomph if left too long

I'll use the new loaf for lunch, probably cheese & salady sarnie

Dinner is use up & CBA time. Back to toasted stale bread, cheesy beans + couple of fried eggs on top

I had a couple of slices last night, but with strawberry jam on. Not part of any diet I can think of
    • pattypan4
    • By pattypan4 22nd Jul 19, 9:20 AM
    • 195 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    pattypan4
    All window coverings are closed on the east side, have been since 9. Its hard to cope with this heat, I am expecting 34 tomorrow.

Breakie was just garden blueberries yoghurt and small scrumptious granola. Strawberries and LO d cream ready for later. Lunch will have to be veggies and defrosted nut roast. I need to use up butter, flour and eggs so have whipped up a double batch of scones. Butter went soft very quickly and eggs are at room temperature, everyything was finished in a jiffy by hand, sifted flour for airyness. I only use a knife to gather the dough, pat down on the board and a bread dough cutter to make rough and very uneven shapes. Took less time than it took my aeropress coffee to cool. In oven now, will freeze today

I will finish eating by 3.30 and have my breakie between 6.30-7am. Gives digestives a good amount of time for r and r
    scones are ready and cooling. they look very scrummy
    Last edited by pattypan4; 22-07-2019 at 9:28 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 22nd Jul 19, 10:02 AM
    • 5,536 Posts
    • 33,732 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

Glad no blood was shed Brambling

It was really stormy here overnight, it's calmer now but still very windy. It's supposed to blow out in a few hours.
    My balance is still off and it is an ease gently into the day kind of morning so far. I've only just had breakfast! I cut a slice of the SD loaf and had it with a smidge of pate. I'm pretty pleased wirh the bread, it's slightly denser than previous ones as I upped the proportion of rye and wholemeal flours in the mix but still a really decent crumb/texture and tastes great.
    I'm probably going to have to pop to my Dad's to try and fix a drawer handle that has come off but apart from that I'm planning a quietish day.
    Dinner will either be spaghetti & meatballs or naan bread pizza.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 22nd Jul 19, 10:13 AM
    • 66,721 Posts
    • 391,634 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I never made the syrup loaf for two good reasons, and a few iffy ones:

1/ I CBA to look in the bag on top of my F/F to see if I'd got any bicarb and put it there.
    2/ I CBA in general.

To be fair, I already had food overload to plough through.

I think that covers the main points

I've defrosted a crust this morning, toasted it and topped it with beans and cheese.

Freezer now contains just:

1 crust of bread
    1 unopened 1.5Kg bag of chips
    1 spicy parsnip soup I've been avoiding for months and months and months
    6 sausages
    2 portions of steak pie.

My perishables dotted around are just: 3 spuds, 1 onion, 1/2 tin of rice pudding in the fridge, 1 large portion of chilli in the fridge.

Today I'll eat the final portion of chilli, although it's a large portion (as I was trying to get through it). Last night I had a portion of that with basmati AND chips. Couldn't move..... well, not for an hour. After an hour I opened a tin of rice pudding and had half of that with some jam.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 22-07-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 22nd Jul 19, 11:29 AM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 23,104 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Usual toast for breakfast.

I just went to the shop and bought strawberries, lettuce and cucumber. It's so muggy out there!

I am going to have a salad for lunch. Too hot to have anything else.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 22nd Jul 19, 1:34 PM
    • 7,493 Posts
    • 14,546 Thanks
    Farway
    The loaf turned out well, but the ready mix As*a own label always do IME

Noticed just how dry the pots are in the front, and it only chucked it down a couple of days ago. Fed & watered them because of heat forecast way up to 90s so they say, think I'll splash out on cheapo pop in L's tomorrow, I really want fizzy water to mix with squash but they don't sell it, so I use low their fat lemonade

Tin of beans on kitchen top, cheese at the ready, eggs out of fridge, all set for dinner
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

2,631Users online

Martin's Twitter