Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 20th Jul 19, 7:48 AM
    • 8,811Posts
    • 31,119Thanks
    Primrose
    Coping with daily wardrobe & clothes changes
    • 20th Jul 19, 7:48 AM
    Coping with daily wardrobe & clothes changes 20th Jul 19 at 7:48 AM
    I was looking around our bedroom strewn with clothes from the last few days & wondering how I can better organise myself.

With the changing weather I might wear something different, ie warmer or cooler, and temporarily discard the previous day's shorts, trousers, tops etc. Although not dirty enough to require washing yet, I don't really want to out them back in the wardrobe and "forget" that they may not be pristine fresh and unworn for its next appearance . The result can be that I have several different changes of clothing untidily lying around.

Does anybody else have this problem? If so, do you have an organised system for dealing with it? It seems so wasteful of water and electricity to throw everything into the wash after only one wear when it's not grubby just to keep the bedroom looking tidy.
Page 2
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 20th Jul 19, 7:07 PM
    • 2,262 Posts
    • 6,017 Thanks
    Loanranger
    Turn worn once clothes inside out, place on coat hanger , quick spray with Febreze or similar, hang item on door handle to dry off the Febreze, return to wardrobe. No need to wash after one wearing unless you never shower or have a dirty manual job.
    Clothes will last longer and it's kinder to the environment and your purse.
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 20th Jul 19, 7:15 PM
    • 1,727 Posts
    • 10,310 Thanks
    grunnie
    Watching this post with interest - I use the "The Chair" method, with limited success hope I can learn something more useful!
    Originally posted by Brambleberry
    I also am a longtime fan of "the chair"
    • maman
    • By maman 20th Jul 19, 7:44 PM
    • 20,250 Posts
    • 120,690 Thanks
    maman
    Not sure how many posters on here are women but, if you think about it, men have traditionally been wearing suits regularly and wouldn't dream of having them cleaned daily. I'm the same with my jackets, skirts, trousers, dresses, coats etc.

I think what's crucial is that we're clean underneath. I hang my clothes overnight to air them a bit before they go back in the wardrobe.

The only things that get washed after one wear are knickers and anything I mess up by spilling something or doing a messy job.
    • MoneySeeker1
    • By MoneySeeker1 21st Jul 19, 6:58 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    MoneySeeker1
    Had another think about this since and decided the easiest method to deal with this (and keep my clothes in their appropriate categories/colours/etc) is to hang them overnight on that pulled-out section of my freestanding clothes rail (just a couple of items could be hung over doors - assuming the handles of clothes hangers are movable).

Then put back into wardrobe and on rest of clothes rail with the hangers the wrong way round.

So hangers the right way round (ie with open "hooks" at top pointing towards wall) when clean and hung the other way round (ie with "hook" at top pointing towards me) when lightly worn.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 21st Jul 19, 10:10 AM
    • 12,131 Posts
    • 32,430 Thanks
    suki1964
    I use the chair and hooks on the back of the bathroom and bedroom doors

Mr Suki uses the floor
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 21st Jul 19, 10:29 AM
    • 8,811 Posts
    • 31,119 Thanks
    Primrose
    Am reassured to read from this that quite a few us belong to the "Sluts R Us" brigade and that there will be no rush to nominate our immaculate bedrooms for display in "Homes & Gardens"
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 21st Jul 19, 12:13 PM
    • 5,949 Posts
    • 7,374 Thanks
    theoretica
    I upgraded my chair to a valet stand - given that I seldom got to sit on the chair, because of the clothes, it made more sense to have something designed to store clothes.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 21st Jul 19, 12:24 PM
    • 8,811 Posts
    • 31,119 Thanks
    Primrose
    I upgraded my chair to a valet stand - given that I seldom got to sit on the chair, because of the clothes, it made more sense to have something designed to store clothes.
    Originally posted by theoretica
    That makes a lot of sense, given that most bedroom chairs are often too cluttered with clothes to be able to sit on! I must Google and see what's available. Anybody have any suggestions as to what type of facilities on them they find most useful and which should be a predominate feature, ie trouser hanging rails, more than one coat hanger facility, etc?
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 21st Jul 19, 12:47 PM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 23,093 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I have 5 pets (one dog sheds fur a lot) so leggings, dresses and skirts get washed after one wear. Underwear only gets worn once, obviously.

Cardigans I wear a few times before I wash them as they don't get as messy as my dog normally jumps up on my lap or legs!

I just shake the cardigan down and hang it back up in the wardrobe at the end of the rail so I know I have worn it more than once.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 21st Jul 19, 1:54 PM
    • 1,882 Posts
    • 6,853 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Outer clothes are dumped on a chair at night then folded the next day, making them look at bit tidier and preventing a Mount Dumpmore!Socks, underwear etc are placed into the linen basket when taken off.
    I put tops etc on hangers on an over the door hanger. I try to wear them again within a few days then they go into the wash. Trousers are hung over the back of the chair so they don't get too creased and are ready for re-wear! Not perfect but works quite well for me!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.

Please and Thank You are the magic words
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Jul 19, 10:06 PM
    • 30,110 Posts
    • 63,354 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Wear once wash once is my motto.. if I put something on and wear it I wash it

Only few exceptions coats .. dry clean or wash depending on material once a month.

Hats scarfs once a week wash

Leather gloves discard after 3 months
    Originally posted by Simby
    This helps neither the garment nor the environment. Its not just the water and detergent, what I didn't think about previously was the obvious: the microfibres that enter the system. As for leather gloves, is there any reason that you can't turn them inside out and wash / air them?

I have more than enough clothes to last me for the next 40+ years of my life (yes, seriously!) and knowing just how much resource goes into textile production now don't intend to buy any more, unless I expand or shrink significantly. This is what comes of buying into consumerism in my late twenties - early thirties. I was working so hard at the time that retail was my therapy
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 22nd Jul 19, 6:23 AM
    • 8,811 Posts
    • 31,119 Thanks
    Primrose
    This helps neither the garment nor the environment. Its not just the water and detergent, what I didn't think about previously was the obvious: the microfibres that enter the system. As for leather gloves, is there any reason that you can't turn them inside out and wash / air them?

I have more than enough clothes to last me for the next 40+ years of my life (yes, seriously!) and knowing just how much resource goes into textile production now don't intend to buy any more, unless I expand or shrink significantly. This is what comes of buying into consumerism in my late twenties - early thirties. I was working so hard at the time that retail was my therapy
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

I can't help echoing these comments. Many people are washing clothes too regularly forgetting that water is a precious resource, and we now have increasing knowledge that every wash we do is releasing more microfibers into the disposal water, and ultimately into the oceans, to be ingested by the fish we eat.

A lot of our modern practices like washing clothes more regularly have come about simply because technology has introduced the wherewithal to make life easier. If we had to use a wash tub and a mangle which was stored outside in the back yard in all weathers , we would not be washing our clothes so regularly ! We also have anti perspirants and deodorants which help to keep us and our clothes smelling better for longer.

In my childhood, in wartime and post war austerity, we had none of this technology. Washing was of necessity kept to a minimum because there was no way of easily drying it, and far from bulging wardobes, we had an outfit for best and probably one blouse or skirt for wearing, and one in the wash.

Whilst we can rejoice that we're all now wealthier and have a better standard of living, this has come at a severe environmental cost and I think we all have a responsibility, now that the facts are known, to do what we can to reduce our damaging footprint . If that means wearing clothes for longer before committing them to the washing machine, I think that's a reasonable thing to do.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 22nd Jul 19, 11:25 AM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 23,093 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    Meh, I'm a vegan, don't have a car, haven't taken a flight since 2008 and am child-free. People would have to do a lot more than that to be as eco-friendly as I am!

I don't intend to walk around in dirty, fur strewn clothing because of the environment.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 22nd Jul 19, 12:46 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 9,341 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    The only things that get worn once in our house are shirts/blouses, t-shirts, socks, stockings/tights and underwear; things that come into contact with the sweaty, smelly parts of the body. Everything-else is worn multiple times before washing. Jackets and work clothes get aired on the outside of the wardrobe door over night, before being put back in the closet.

Most of my work suits are lucky if they get dry-cleaned once every six months. "This week's jeans/shorts" lurk on top of the linen basket when not worn, until I decide they need a wash. Once worn, jumpers, scarves and cardigans are assessed for smelliness/dirty marks, then folded and put back in the drawer if none are found.

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 22nd Jul 19, 6:42 PM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 23,093 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    No responses to my post I see.

If anyone on here is even slightly serious about the environment they should give up meat (and do it half assed) or go the whole way and go vegan.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/7-instant-ways-to-reduce-your-carbon-footprint_b_59321992e4b00573ab57a383?guccounter=1& guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce _referrer_sig=AQAAAHKIv3_tAJn4ka7iZzouHtH-bMi8Kk7VeY75_dCvVoTfDKmpt5CHhvaKSyzLq4SLMMJufgM_R9 3OHy95uXO2ZjMfwUoeaHsT754MRJZB_kSKYaZqejzcO-4OgZkVuoLgw3_tSTiVy20mvQ8jrK-_con0nDCl06T-XgHaxr_A2BTi
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 22nd Jul 19, 9:39 PM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 6,907 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Underwear washed after one wear.
    Trousers and other 'outer wear' only as needed.
    Tops - am I the only one that does the sniff test?? If it fails the test, straight to the wash. If it passes, back into the drawer - inside out so that I know that it's been worn previously.

Oh, and regular showering helps...
    • ouraggie
    • By ouraggie 22nd Jul 19, 10:53 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    ouraggie
    I have a plastic crate in the spare bedroom. Anything that can be worn again is neatly folded and put in there. I look in here first when deciding what to wear today!
    If a garment has been in there a few days I often air it outside on the line for an hour when it's windy. However I too try to finish off any garment I have started as soon as possible. I must confess to feeling most chuffed when I manage to empty the crate by careful matching of crate content to forthcoming activity!

The crate is only for jeans, jogging bottoms, shorts etc.
    Tops and cardis get hung up on the outer side of the wardrobe in the 6" between the wall and wardrobe. I have a plastic hook thing that holds 5 hangers one in front of the other, that I think was sold as a thing to hang over a doorframe to hang your freshly ironed shirts on. I can hang it on the wardrobe because the wardrobe has a handy wooden cornice that it fits over.
    As I work from home I frequently find myself wearing a pair of socks for two hours when eating out in the evening or going food shopping. So these socks are pegged on a trouser hanger with the above mentioned tops and finished off next time I need to wear socks for an hour.

On a similar note,, I wonder if other people have a system as regards wearing out clothes. I have 4 categories of jeans, tops, cardigans etc
    1. wear these at home during the day when you are alone (faded, misshapen, hole in it etc
    2. wear at home when others are present (still decent, but not good enough to leave the house in)
    3. wear to go out to supermarket, bank etc (mostly demoted 4s)
    4. wear only for best
    Meanwhile my OH happily wears his "4" garments when lounging around the house or painting the shed or attempts to put on a "1" shirt to wear to his firm's annual BBQ! He absolutely can't see any difference between them and gets mad when I suggest he gets changed.
    My 4 is probably my sister's 2!!!!
    Anyone else follow a similar system?
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 23rd Jul 19, 7:32 AM
    • 3,686 Posts
    • 6,907 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    On a similar note,, I wonder if other people have a system as regards wearing out clothes. I have 4 categories of jeans, tops, cardigans etc
    1. wear these at home during the day when you are alone (faded, misshapen, hole in it etc
    2. wear at home when others are present (still decent, but not good enough to leave the house in)
    3. wear to go out to supermarket, bank etc (mostly demoted 4s)
    4. wear only for best

Anyone else follow a similar system?
    Originally posted by ouraggie

Yes!! Or rather - sort of. Some items will only ever be for 'best' (I'm never going to wear my sparkly sequined Christmas party frock for gardening, no matter how tatty it gets!!) - but I certainly use this method for jeans -

1. Brand new jeans, perfect for going to the pub or the pictures or any other smart casual event
    2. A bit baggy in the knees, past their prime - supermarket, out with the grandchildren
    3. Wearing thin, style a bit dated - slouching around at home watching the TV or doing the housework
    4. Actual holes - gardening, painting, washing the car, DIY. Although holes in jeans are on-trend at the moment so that could be a cost saving...

5. Already covered in paint splashes - really grotty jobs like cleaning the drains.

Sadly I've just had to demote my grade 1 jeans to grade 2, so will have to be brave and go and buy a new pair before I'm Out again.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 23rd Jul 19, 9:10 AM
    • 4,543 Posts
    • 7,256 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Reverting back to washing - there was a time when the shirt wasn’t washed nearly as often as the detachable collar.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 23rd Jul 19, 9:46 AM
    • 2,262 Posts
    • 3,923 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    You know you're getting old when you find yourself saying "they'll do for the garden"!!

Be it jeans, tops or slippers!!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,926Posts Today

8,046Users online

Martin's Twitter