Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Raymond2016
    • By Raymond2016 20th Jul 19, 7:43 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Raymond2016
    Toplite lightweight block to build seating area in garden
    • 20th Jul 19, 7:43 PM
    Toplite lightweight block to build seating area in garden 20th Jul 19 at 7:43 PM
    Hi all,

I have bought a pallet of Toplite lightweight concrete blocks to build a short sitting area in the garden. They are like those dense heavy concrete blocks but a lightweight version. They say that they are fine to use above and below the ground and outdoors etc. I was just planning on painting the external faces with a waterproofing mason art paint rather than rendering them.

I have now read some thoughts that they absorb water and can crack with the frost. Is there anything else I should do or should bother be okay?

Thank you
Page 1
    • stuart45
    • By stuart45 22nd Jul 19, 6:29 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    stuart45
    • 22nd Jul 19, 6:29 AM
    • 22nd Jul 19, 6:29 AM
    You might find it difficult to get a correct answer on this question, as most builders would use concrete blocks in this situation, rather than AAC blocks. I've worked with AAC blocks since the mid 70's when they started to become used more commonly for the inner skins of cavity walls, but have very limited experience with them for garden walls etc.
    Manufacturers claims are not always as accurate as first stated. Thermalite used to say that their blocks would take a fixing without the need for plugs for example.
    I have found myself that using AAC blocks out side on a small duck house, the blocks became a bit more likely to crumble when taking a fixing, so if you use them some protection like masonry paint as you intended would probably do the job.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,301Posts Today

7,291Users online

Martin's Twitter