Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dreamypuma
    • By dreamypuma 10th Jan 19, 6:28 PM
    • 1,059Posts
    • 539Thanks
    dreamypuma
    EON Smart Meters
    • 10th Jan 19, 6:28 PM
    EON Smart Meters 10th Jan 19 at 6:28 PM
    I'm looking to switch to EON on a tariff which makes installation of a Smart Meter conditional. I understand that certain suppliers have been given authority to continue installing SMETS1 meters until the end of March. If EON offer me a SMETS1 meter, can I decline this in favour of a SMETS2?

Avoiding SMETS1 Meter installation is the primary reason I have avoided our cheapest fixed price supply option, LUMO. (as well as mixed feedback), so i'm really keen to ensure only a SMETS2 meter is installed.
    My farts hospitalize small children
Page 4
    • Highland76
    • By Highland76 19th Jul 19, 7:36 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Highland76
    Highland76-

I helped a friend do an energy supply transfer (gas and electric) to Eon which went through earlier this month (8th July). She had an email earlier this week from Eon saying it was a condition of her new tariff that she should have smart meters installed (this was news to me, and I went through all the online switch process with her!) and she should expect a call soon.

So that was only 7 days into the new supply with Eon, so I would imagine depending on how quick your previous supplier is to validate your meter readings, you may be lucky and get offered smart meters fairly quickly. It will of course be totally dependent on availability of appointments in your area.
    Originally posted by anniecave
    Thanks anniecave, I will get in touch with E.ON smart metering team a week or two after my switch is completed
    • C.C.
    • By C.C. 20th Jul 19, 3:06 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    C.C.
    My mum had smart meters fitted by E-on last October. They made life a lot easier, as she struggled to read the old ones herself, and no longer had to do anything.

Fast forward to June, when her contract ended and we changed her supplier.
    As expected, her meters are now dumb - we had been led to believe that they might have been updated (remotely) by then, but they hadn't.

There is absolutely no way she can attempt to read the gas meter herself.
    In all that time, she had never tried to use the in-house display to get meter readings, so while visiting her last week (can't go often due to distance), I took readings from there.

The problem is, when I got home and compared the gas reading with past ones that I have kept a record of, it was obvious that something doesnt match - six weeks ago, the gas meter reading had been 001196, but the monitor is currently showing a reading of 014185!

Is it possible that the monitor is showing kw/h rather than m3?
    I've done some quick calculations to try to test this theory, but my results are not coming out quite as close as I would have liked, but i might be doing it wrong.

As i said, there's no way my mum can check the actual meter reading to compare with the in-house monitor figure, and there's no one else she can ask either.

So, E-on, as this monitor is your piece of equipment, any suggestions what's going on, or whether i might be on the right lines with the kw/h theory?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 20th Jul 19, 4:02 PM
    • 4,512 Posts
    • 7,891 Thanks
    Smodlet
    My mum had smart meters fitted by E-on last October. They made life a lot easier, as she struggled to read the old ones herself, and no longer had to do anything.

Fast forward to June, when her contract ended and we changed her supplier.
    As expected, her meters are now dumb - we had been led to believe that they might have been updated (remotely) by then, but they hadn't.

There is absolutely no way she can attempt to read the gas meter herself.
    In all that time, she had never tried to use the in-house display to get meter readings, so while visiting her last week (can't go often due to distance), I took readings from there.

The problem is, when I got home and compared the gas reading with past ones that I have kept a record of, it was obvious that something doesnt match - six weeks ago, the gas meter reading had been 001196, but the monitor is currently showing a reading of 014185!

Is it possible that the monitor is showing kw/h rather than m3?
    I've done some quick calculations to try to test this theory, but my results are not coming out quite as close as I would have liked, but i might be doing it wrong.

As i said, there's no way my mum can check the actual meter reading to compare with the in-house monitor figure, and there's no one else she can ask either.

So, E-on, as this monitor is your piece of equipment, any suggestions what's going on, or whether i might be on the right lines with the kw/h theory?
    Originally posted by C.C.
    Malc seems to be here less and less, C.C. and I think Helena has been moved to another role so, if you want an answer quickly, you might be better using FB or Twitter. I hope you get this sorted soon.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 20th Jul 19, 6:22 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    If your mother is a pensioner (or has a severe illness/disability) get her regsitered on Priority Services Register. Being on this has some good perks, like having your meter read every quarter.
    Last edited by PennineAcute; Yesterday at 11:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 20th Jul 19, 6:33 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 634 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Malc seems to be here less and less, C.C. and I think Helena has been moved to another role so, if you want an answer quickly, you might be better using FB or Twitter. I hope you get this sorted soon.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Lets hope there's a return to "how it was"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,549Users online

Martin's Twitter