Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dreamypuma
    • By dreamypuma 10th Jan 19, 6:28 PM
    • 1,059Posts
    • 539Thanks
    dreamypuma
    EON Smart Meters
    • 10th Jan 19, 6:28 PM
    EON Smart Meters 10th Jan 19 at 6:28 PM
    I'm looking to switch to EON on a tariff which makes installation of a Smart Meter conditional. I understand that certain suppliers have been given authority to continue installing SMETS1 meters until the end of March. If EON offer me a SMETS1 meter, can I decline this in favour of a SMETS2?

Avoiding SMETS1 Meter installation is the primary reason I have avoided our cheapest fixed price supply option, LUMO. (as well as mixed feedback), so i'm really keen to ensure only a SMETS2 meter is installed.
    My farts hospitalize small children
Page 4
    • Highland76
    • By Highland76 19th Jul 19, 7:36 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Highland76
    Highland76-

I helped a friend do an energy supply transfer (gas and electric) to Eon which went through earlier this month (8th July). She had an email earlier this week from Eon saying it was a condition of her new tariff that she should have smart meters installed (this was news to me, and I went through all the online switch process with her!) and she should expect a call soon.

So that was only 7 days into the new supply with Eon, so I would imagine depending on how quick your previous supplier is to validate your meter readings, you may be lucky and get offered smart meters fairly quickly. It will of course be totally dependent on availability of appointments in your area.
    Originally posted by anniecave
    Thanks anniecave, I will get in touch with E.ON smart metering team a week or two after my switch is completed
    • C.C.
    • By C.C. 20th Jul 19, 3:06 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    C.C.
    My mum had smart meters fitted by E-on last October. They made life a lot easier, as she struggled to read the old ones herself, and no longer had to do anything.

Fast forward to June, when her contract ended and we changed her supplier.
    As expected, her meters are now dumb - we had been led to believe that they might have been updated (remotely) by then, but they hadn't.

There is absolutely no way she can attempt to read the gas meter herself.
    In all that time, she had never tried to use the in-house display to get meter readings, so while visiting her last week (can't go often due to distance), I took readings from there.

The problem is, when I got home and compared the gas reading with past ones that I have kept a record of, it was obvious that something doesnt match - six weeks ago, the gas meter reading had been 001196, but the monitor is currently showing a reading of 014185!

Is it possible that the monitor is showing kw/h rather than m3?
    I've done some quick calculations to try to test this theory, but my results are not coming out quite as close as I would have liked, but i might be doing it wrong.

As i said, there's no way my mum can check the actual meter reading to compare with the in-house monitor figure, and there's no one else she can ask either.

So, E-on, as this monitor is your piece of equipment, any suggestions what's going on, or whether i might be on the right lines with the kw/h theory?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 20th Jul 19, 4:02 PM
    • 4,828 Posts
    • 8,216 Thanks
    Smodlet
    My mum had smart meters fitted by E-on last October. They made life a lot easier, as she struggled to read the old ones herself, and no longer had to do anything.

As expected, her meters are now dumb - we had been led to believe that they might have been updated (remotely) by then, but they hadn't.

In all that time, she had never tried to use the in-house display to get meter readings, so while visiting her last week (can't go often due to distance), I took readings from there.

The problem is, when I got home and compared the gas reading with past ones that I have kept a record of, it was obvious that something doesnt match - six weeks ago, the gas meter reading had been 001196, but the monitor is currently showing a reading of 014185!

I've done some quick calculations to try to test this theory, but my results are not coming out quite as close as I would have liked, but i might be doing it wrong.

As i said, there's no way my mum can check the actual meter reading to compare with the in-house monitor figure, and there's no one else she can ask either.

So, E-on, as this monitor is your piece of equipment, any suggestions what's going on, or whether i might be on the right lines with the kw/h theory?
    Originally posted by C.C.
    Malc seems to be here less and less, C.C. and I think Helena has been moved to another role so, if you want an answer quickly, you might be better using FB or Twitter. I hope you get this sorted soon.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 20th Jul 19, 6:22 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    If your mother is a pensioner (or has a severe illness/disability) get her regsitered on Priority Services Register. Being on this has some good perks, like having your meter read every quarter.
    Last edited by PennineAcute; 20-07-2019 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 20th Jul 19, 6:33 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Malc seems to be here less and less, C.C. and I think Helena has been moved to another role so, if you want an answer quickly, you might be better using FB or Twitter. I hope you get this sorted soon.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Lets hope there's a return to "how it was"
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 21st Jul 19, 9:33 AM
    • 4,828 Posts
    • 8,216 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    I think you and I have done all we can there, AndyCF. If our arguments do not sway the powers that be, we will just have to help each other.

It is a great shame, given the terrible first experience of Eon's customer service I endured the other day. The online chat operator called me in the middle of the proceedings and talked at me non-stop; I could not get a word in. She sounded on the edge of hysteria; gave me a splitting head ache.

Had I wanted to speak to someone, I would have called instead of going online. I like having a record of what was discussed. If I get her again, I will end the chat and start over.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 21st Jul 19, 3:35 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    AndyCF
    I think you and I have done all we can there, AndyCF. If our arguments do not sway the powers that be, we will just have to help each other.

It is a great shame, given the terrible first experience of Eon's customer service I endured the other day. The online chat operator called me in the middle of the proceedings and talked at me non-stop; I could not get a word in. She sounded on the edge of hysteria; gave me a splitting head ache.

Had I wanted to speak to someone, I would have called instead of going online. I like having a record of what was discussed. If I get her again, I will end the chat and start over.
    To be fair to them if you get through to the right person they are usually pretty good at fixing what you need, its more a question of (if its not a simple matter) getting *to* the right person who *can* sort it out, or at least provide some progress.
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 23rd Jul 19, 5:12 PM
    • 2,521 Posts
    • 3,281 Thanks
    nigelbb
    I just received this text

Hi, it's E.ON. When you signed up to your energy tariff you agreed to have a smart meter fitted. We're now ready to come and fit your meter. You'll soon receive a text from 07507309513 to arrange an appointment. For more info about smart meters go to www.eonenergy.com/smartsms
    The only problem is that when I signed up I did not agree to have a smart meter fitted. I agreed to be contacted about having a smart meter fitted.

The E.ON representative on this MSE Energy forum confirmed that this was the case for my tariff. Please could they confirm once more that I am not obliged to have a smart meter installed & can ignore this text?
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 23rd Jul 19, 7:47 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    AndyCF

The only problem is that when I signed up I did not agree to have a smart meter fitted. I agreed to be contacted about having a smart meter fitted.

The E.ON representative on this MSE Energy forum confirmed that this was the case for my tariff. Please could they confirm once more that I am not obliged to have a smart meter installed & can ignore this text?
    Originally posted by nigelbb
    I'd be tempted to call them asap and get it confirmed (ideally via email or a letter unless you can record the call, tbh a letter would be best I think) that you won't have a Smart fitted at that time. Are you able (if they won't play nice) to cancel it aka within a "cooling off" period ?
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 24th Jul 19, 5:12 AM
    • 2,521 Posts
    • 3,281 Thanks
    nigelbb
    I'd be tempted to call them asap and get it confirmed (ideally via email or a letter unless you can record the call, tbh a letter would be best I think) that you won't have a Smart fitted at that time. Are you able (if they won't play nice) to cancel it aka within a "cooling off" period ?
    I'm past the "cooling off" period but as I didn't agree to have a smart meter fitted & it's a good tariff I wouldn't want to cancel anyway.

I had another text this time asking me for a suitable date & time to fit a smart meter. I sent a text back explaining that I didn't want one then got another presumably automated text that they would get back to me.
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    Switching to E.ON
    Highland76-

I helped a friend do an energy supply transfer (gas and electric) to Eon which went through earlier this month (8th July). She had an email earlier this week from Eon saying it was a condition of her new tariff that she should have smart meters installed (this was news to me, and I went through all the online switch process with her!) and she should expect a call soon.

So that was only 7 days into the new supply with Eon, so I would imagine depending on how quick your previous supplier is to validate your meter readings, you may be lucky and get offered smart meters fairly quickly. It will of course be totally dependent on availability of appointments in your area.
    Originally posted by anniecave

Hello anniecave and I'm glad your friend's switch went through okay.

As you say, it depends on the circumstances at individual properties and areas as to when we'll contact customers to offer them smart meters. We do try to combine as many appointments as possible when we have technicians in set areas.

Thanks for helping your friend to switch to us anniecave.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    E.ON Smart Meters
    Thanks Malc, it gives me an idea at least and I appreciate your finding out for me. Very helpful.
    Originally posted by scones

No worries scones. Happy to help.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    E.ON Fixed Tariffs
    Which tariff is this? I think you'll find the Ts & Cs state that you merely agree to be contacted about having a smart meter, not that it's mandatory.
    Originally posted by Gerry1

Hello Gerry1 and happy to confirm, the T&Cs of all the Fixed Tariffs we're currently selling contain the condition that customers only agree to be contacted about smart meters. The relevant bit is section 11.1.

Hope this explains.

Malc
    E.ON Smart Meter IHD

Originally posted by C.C.

Hello C.C. and sorry your mum has switched away.

The information on the In Home Display (IHD) will depend on which type your mum has. We've used several different types of IHD over the years. Some show the gas in kWh whilst others display it in cubic metres.

If it is in kWh, this will only be an approximation as the Calorific Value can change. It's always best to take readings directly from the meter. Totally understand, this isn't practical for your mum.

We'll begin to update many of the SMETS1 meters we're responsible for soon. This will restore a lot of the original smart features including the ability to send us readings automatically. We'll also do this where smart meters were installed by another supplier and where we're now the supplier. I suspect other suppliers have similar plans although can't say for sure.

Sorry this is a bit vague C.C.

Malc
    E.ON Reps

Hello Smodlet and many thanks for your support. It's appreciated by both of us.

Helena isn't well and hasn't been in the office for a time. I've passed earlier posts from you and AndyCF up the food chain with good results. Help has been provided with some of our other tasks.

This should free up some time so I can spend longer on MSE. It won't be every day although this has never been the case. Hopefully significantly longer than of late.

I've replied about the poor experience you had with a Live Chatter on your post on our Feedback thread at the following link.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=76071509&highlight=eon#post760715 09

I'm sorry this first contact wasn't what it should've been Smodlet.

Malc
    E.ON Reps
    To be fair to them if you get through to the right person they are usually pretty good at fixing what you need, its more a question of (if its not a simple matter) getting *to* the right person who *can* sort it out, or at least provide some progress.

Many thanks for your support, too, AndyCF. We really do appreciate it.

Malc
    E.ON Smart Tariffs

I'm past the "cooling off" period but as I didn't agree to have a smart meter fitted & it's a good tariff I wouldn't want to cancel anyway.

I had another text this time asking me for a suitable date & time to fit a smart meter. I sent a text back explaining that I didn't want one then got another presumably automated text that they would get back to me.

Hello nigelbb and happy to confirm, smart meters are optional and you can refuse our offers to have them installed.

As I mentioned in my reply to Gerry1 above, the T&Cs of all the Fixed Tariffs we're currently selling contain the condition that customers only agree to be contacted about smart meters. The relevant bit is section 11.1.

Hope this explains nigelbb.

Malc
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 24th Jul 19, 1:59 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Helena isn't well and hasn't been in the office for a time.
    Originally posted by E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    Hope she feels a bit better soon and its nothing major. Sending good vibes anyway.

As someone with various ongoing health bits/pieces myself I can understand.

I've passed earlier posts from you and AndyCF up the food chain with good results. Help has been provided with some of our other tasks.
    That is excellent news. Quite happy to post honest feedback as I have done.

This should free up some time so I can spend longer on MSE. It won't be every day although this has never been the case. Hopefully significantly longer than of late.
    Its never going to be perfect I realise. However 'some time' is better than 'little or no time at all'

Many thanks for your support, too, AndyCF. We really do appreciate it.

Malc
    As my reply to the second quote (in this post) you're most welcome.
    E.ON Reps
    Hope she feels a bit better soon and its nothing major. Sending good vibes anyway.

As someone with various ongoing health bits/pieces myself I can understand.

That is excellent news. Quite happy to post honest feedback as I have done.

Its never going to be perfect I realise. However 'some time' is better than 'little or no time at all'

As my reply to the second quote (in this post) you're most welcome.

Many thanks for your comments AndyCF.

Hopefully, Helena will be back in the not too distant future. I'll pass on your good vibes. She's greatly missed here too.

Thank you, too, for your feedback. All feedback - good and bad - is vital and I'm always happy to pass it on to the decision-makers.

Have a good day AndyCF and I hope your health issues improve.

Malc
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 25th Jul 19, 8:51 AM
    • 2,521 Posts
    • 3,281 Thanks
    nigelbb
    Hello nigelbb and happy to confirm, smart meters are optional and you can refuse our offers to have them installed.

As I mentioned in my reply to Gerry1 above, the T&Cs of all the Fixed Tariffs we're currently selling contain the condition that customers only agree to be contacted about smart meters. The relevant bit is section 11.1.

Hope this explains nigelbb.

Malc
    Thanks for the confirmation. I haven't in fact heard any more since the last text message.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

3,269Users online

Martin's Twitter