Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,704Posts
    • 21,382Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 5:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 5:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 05-07-2019 at 8:05 AM.
Page 135
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 19th Jul 19, 9:45 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 19,555 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Hello everyone,

Not been around much lately, been spending a lot of time with DS

Not really done much decluttering, pulled a few weeds from the garden the other day and did some out the front.

I too have lots of toiletries, with the soap thing I use bar soap now, the one I am currently using I got for xmas and it still has a lot of life in it! I am bad for shampoo and conditioner though I have flat hair so everytime I see something that claims to give you volume I try it...

Someone mentioned tampons as well, have you tried a mooncup? I love mine, it is so much easier and works out a lot cheaper and less space to take up

Sounds like the shark has got a lot of love atm as well, I really do love mine. I keep telling my mum to get one too she is disabled and has arthritis everywhere and had ops on her knees and shoulders but she will still struggle to get her Henry out and sit on the sofa and hoover like that and get dad to do the rest!

C xx

C xx
    Originally posted by chocolatelover93
    I loved my mooncup chocolatelover. It's no longer needed now since the chemo sent me into menopause. I always used to feel much cleaner using it. To be honest I can understand why people can be put off but it was amazing.

I'm still pondering on the shark. The reviews I read are either fantastic or dire. A lot of comments about blockages. I do still want one though.

I cleaned my carpet but it's turned into a nightmare. It wasn't sucking up well so the carpet is still damp. I'm going to rent a rug doctor on Monday and do mine and mums sitting room carpets.

Mr radiator is now sprayed and looks so much better.

DS has broke up today so decluttering may slow down but I still have a target of it all being done by christmas (sorry to say that word). I'm currently washing school uniform at the moment so on Monday the uniform will go to the charity shop and the shoes to the cobbler who returns them and sends them to people who need them overseas.

I will keep reading but I doubt I will have too much to post for the next few weeks.

Keep going everyone.
    My mini challenge: pay off Yorkshire Bank by 31/10/19 0/305

1000 Emergency fund challenge 40/1000

My house WILL be decluttered by 1st December 2019
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 19th Jul 19, 9:48 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 11,440 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Hello everyone,
    Have been catching up on your posts.
    I have also been working my way through a mountain of toiletries. Yes, it does feel good to see the pile go down. I'd hate to think of the amount of money sitting there that could be in my bank earning interest. When I shampoo my hair and you have suds on your head. I scoop the suds off and place them onto my legs. I use it like shaving cream. Hey presto two uses from one product.

Unwanted post recycled.
    Medicine box recycled
    Medicine casing binned

Cleaned the three bedrooms this afternoon. Have people staying on Sunday. Have laid out towels and mini toiletries for them to use.
    I have a lovely leather work bag that I have used for 10+ years. The zip has just gone. I am hoping that I can get it fixed. Have a new zip placed on it. Not sure where to go. (Live in the London areA).
    2 Savers Club 2019 no. 1. 390
    Save 12k in 2019 no.82
    2019 - A clutter free life
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 19th Jul 19, 10:07 PM
    • 8,723 Posts
    • 19,412 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Hello All!

Long time no post for me!
    Fell off the Decluttering Wagon with other parts of life getting in my way.

On the plus side, my giant pile of stuff is being collected by the BHF service tomorrow. Half tempted to book another slot in for a fortnight's time LOL

There's roughly 6 boxes of books and kitchenalia, plus 15 bags of other stuff! Feels like barely a dent. I do have plenty of their donation bags so will keep going.

Did the DVD's yesterday and there's 52 of them heading out too.
    Plan is to take back the spare box room and make it a useable space for DS's Lego collection and my craft efforts.

That's the goal/hope anyway
    Last edited by CAFCGirl; 22-07-2019 at 7:28 AM.

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing

Trying to get by on a single Emergency Services income
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 46\66 IT'S THE YARN
    • IrishRose12
    • By IrishRose12 19th Jul 19, 11:36 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 7,048 Thanks
    IrishRose12
    IrishRose
    I've just read your post about a sore jaw and ear. I've had that and it turned out to be TMJD ( something that you have to manage and live with, unfortunately ) and I need anti inflams and pain killers for it when I get a flare up. Perhaps that is your problem too, just a thought. Anyway I hope you can get it sorted asap.

Take care nan xx
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    Funny nanny, when 1st googling the symptoms looking forward to help the pain that came up a few times but I never paid an notice. Shall go and have another read about it now. Thank you for that. I'm currently sat with a hot water bottle against my ear and jaw
    Went to the doctors and he has given me the ok for flying He said it could be sinusitis as my ear looked fine, he's gave me decongestants, antihistamines and painkillers to take every day for the next 2 months.

So after getting those from the chemist I had to make a phone call to my travel insurance company, Thankfully that nor the medication affect my travel insurance, so we'll see how it goes.

Hoovered the house top to bottom again and my earache got worse....... I'm seriously considering the possibility I'm allergic to cleaning

Off to bed now, its raining heavily here atm and i love lying in bed listening to the rain.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2019 #57 412/3,500
    1 a day challenge 2019 #2 - 200/ 365

The 365 Day Penny Challenge #2 - 350/650

2019 bag a day declutter challenge - 201/365
    Book challenge 10/20
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 20th Jul 19, 8:26 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 7,214 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    I loved my mooncup chocolatelover. It's no longer needed now since the chemo sent me into menopause. I always used to feel much cleaner using it. To be honest I can understand why people can be put off but it was amazing.

I'm still pondering on the shark. The reviews I read are either fantastic or dire. A lot of comments about blockages. I do still want one though.

I cleaned my carpet but it's turned into a nightmare. It wasn't sucking up well so the carpet is still damp. I'm going to rent a rug doctor on Monday and do mine and mums sitting room carpets.

Mr radiator is now sprayed and looks so much better.

DS has broke up today so decluttering may slow down but I still have a target of it all being done by christmas (sorry to say that word). I'm currently washing school uniform at the moment so on Monday the uniform will go to the charity shop and the shoes to the cobbler who returns them and sends them to people who need them overseas.

I will keep reading but I doubt I will have too much to post for the next few weeks.

Keep going everyone.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    I must admit at first I was like "eeww" but after using it I felt the same I didn't even feel like it was the time of the month!

I've only had one blockage in my shark and that was because I had hoovered up some wet food but it was so easy to get it out because you can see right down the tube. The only thing I do have to do is cut all the hair off the rollers once a month but that is because my hair is so long and it falls out a lot, but I do find now that I don't keep finding random bits of hair everywhere
    xx
    Read my diaryHere
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 20th Jul 19, 10:11 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    whmf00001
    Not much being done but de-cluttered freezer and some gone into SC for dinners, knitting and crocheting a sort of foot blanket for myself, even in summer I have cold feet when watching TV and for some reason (diabetis I think) even soft slipper socks things seem a bit tight. Using odd balls fo wool I got from Freecycle, also gave some to neighbour (17yrs old) to make one for herself. Food from garden, pulled up i pot of potatoes to leaves decluttered, box of more of mums things brought from bedroom to photograph and either EB.. of Freecycle, lovely china tea cup set with sort of hexagon shaped tops, and tea plates and large matching one. Sugar basin and milk jug to match, thing is I can see a hairline crack on 1 cup and also on milk jug so they will have to go to Free... More glassware and another box I have not opened yet, will be same sort of stuff.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 20th Jul 19, 10:59 AM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 19,454 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Well I made it into the office and came out with armfuls of clutter. I gave half to DH to sort through ( sensitive paperwork from his employment which he left in 2004 ) and a carrier bag full of computer software. He has some CD roms ( may be work related too ) to check, but the rest has been binned/recycled etc. Along with some paperwork to be shredded, I found 2 plastic covered wire shelves which DH has put in his shed and a brand new calligraphy set ( present for me ) which is in the cs bag. Also in the bag a new small folding shelf as it wasn't big enough and it has been sitting in the office for ages . Why ???
    I'm scouting around for more as I've found my mojo again . Even DH has been decluttering the shed of stuff, mostly rubbish, but he put it straight in the bin . There's hope for him yet .
    Happy decluttering
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 20th Jul 19, 2:46 PM
    • 1,399 Posts
    • 19,454 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Me again !
    Well I'm on a roll, as Freddie says "don't stop me now " . To the cs-4cds, to the rubbish bin-a peddle bin from the bathroom, the top had split so it wasn't used anyway.

DH is wading through the cd roms, got quite a few to bin and has found a DVD of my late Mum chair dancing to "Spirit in the Sky". So he's going to try to clean it up as it's a bit jumpy. Gave me a lump in my throat TBH . Getting side tracked as DH has found more DVD's of the DGC when they were little....... awwww ! Now they are nearly 10 and 8 . Where has the time gone ?
    Next job is the bedroom cupboard (s) of doom, I'll have to get the ladder out for that though as I'm a short ar*e... er vertically challenged .

TTFN nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • choille
    • By choille 20th Jul 19, 2:54 PM
    • 7,080 Posts
    • 32,762 Thanks
    choille
    195 - 197. 3 things posted.

I do notice a difference upstairs but still have masses to do.
    Originally posted by choille
    198 - Empty make up tube dumped.

208 - Big bag of paperwork burnt.

210 - two large items sold & posted.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 20th Jul 19, 6:31 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 50,228 Thanks
    Barny1979
    693-695. Three broken clothes rails to tip
    696. Cardboard into recycling
    697-698. Bubble wrap to charity
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    699-703. Cardboard boxes into recycling
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs
    MFW Challenge 2019 - 550/1809
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 21st Jul 19, 6:12 AM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 20,748 Thanks
    villagelife
    Presently on holiday so will be slow on the decluttering front but have some magazines and toiletries samples that hopefully won't be going home with me.

Some from before my holiday

813-814 more bits of metal in next doors skip just before it wrnt.
    815 more paperwork shredded.
    816 egg box given to a neighbour with eggs in. Sons won't use all the eggs the chickens lay.
    • ailz95
    • By ailz95 21st Jul 19, 12:05 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,860 Thanks
    ailz95
    Funny nanny, when 1st googling the symptoms looking forward to help the pain that came up a few times but I never paid an notice. Shall go and have another read about it now. Thank you for that. I'm currently sat with a hot water bottle against my ear and jaw
    Went to the doctors and he has given me the ok for flying He said it could be sinusitis as my ear looked fine, he's gave me decongestants, antihistamines and painkillers to take every day for the next 2 months.
    Originally posted by IrishRose12
    I use Olbas oil and run it down from my ear to the base of my neck. There is a tube which runs from your ear to your jaw which gets blocked - it's called the Eustacian tube. Often a cause of glue ear in children.
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' DFW Nerd club member No. 1028.
    DMP Mutual Support member No. 429

DFD 10.9.14.

Live Simply not Simply Live
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 21st Jul 19, 12:30 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 23,187 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I've been using up a lot more toiletries, I'm really running them down now.

I'm going through my wardrobe again and getting rid of anything that doesn't fit. I will drop them off at a chazzer next week. I'm putting in a necklace and a watch I don't want too.

Someone mentioned tampons as well, have you tried a mooncup? I love mine, it is so much easier and works out a lot cheaper and less space to take up
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    I do have a mooncup but found it too much effort to keep putting it in and out so went back to tampons.

I find getting it out really difficult especially if I'm out somewhere. I should try and use it while I'm home during the day.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 21st Jul 19, 12:43 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 7,214 Thanks
    chocolatelover93

I do have a mooncup but found it too much effort to keep putting it in and out so went back to tampons.

I find getting it out really difficult especially if I'm out somewhere. I should try and use it while I'm home during the day.
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I know what you mean it did take me a while to get used to mine I only really take mine out and empty it at home now because it holds a lot. Although if I am heavy I will take it out in public but find having a bottle of water in my bag helps to give it a quick clean

xxx
    Read my diaryHere
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 21st Jul 19, 12:50 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 23,187 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I know what you mean it did take me a while to get used to mine I only really take mine out and empty it at home now because it holds a lot. Although if I am heavy I will take it out in public but find having a bottle of water in my bag helps to give it a quick clean

xxx
    Yes, a woman I know said when she is out and about she looks for a disabled toilet as they have more space to manoeuvre!

I did have a nightmare in a very tiny restaurant loo. I had to put one leg up against the wall to get it out!
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 21st Jul 19, 1:49 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 7,214 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Yes, a woman I know said when she is out and about she looks for a disabled toilet as they have more space to manoeuvre!

I did have a nightmare in a very tiny restaurant loo. I had to put one leg up against the wall to get it out!
    Originally posted by Wednesday2000
    I've been there too! I remember when I first got it thinking it was stuck and I would need to get it removed
    Read my diaryHere
    • savvy
    • By savvy 21st Jul 19, 2:16 PM
    • 30,189 Posts
    • 47,010 Thanks
    savvy
    Ive been AWOL! Welcome actually ADTWL - absent due to work load
    But was the rowing club's regatta yesterday so gave two items to the raffle, and returned their big glass bowl I've had for ages

However, my brother bought me an Echo Show ;ast week which is just a useless thing for me I think, especially as I want to move away from Wifi and tech now 5G is coming. So it's still unopened, and really not sure what to do with it yet Haha really dislike more clutter coming into the house these days!!

714/2019
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 21st Jul 19, 3:20 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 50,228 Thanks
    Barny1979
    699-703. Cardboard boxes into recycling
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    704-706. Cardboard into recycling
    707-708. Bubble wrap to charity
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs
    MFW Challenge 2019 - 550/1809
    • leelad
    • By leelad 21st Jul 19, 4:52 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    leelad
    Evening MrsSD and fellow declutterers, it's been a long time since I posted on here. Back on the decluttering trail again ahead of our daughter's bedroom being redecorated and recarpeted next month. She will be 8 this October but the decor in her room is more suitable to a baby. So have been to the tip twice this weekend throwing out a Winnie the Pooh toy storage unit which had been well and truly hammered by wear and tear along with clothes which had been well worn. Got a charity bag of old clothes to be dropped off next week and several bags of paper has gone in the recycling bin. It's been a team effort with our daughter as my wife struggles with anxiety and depression so she finds all of this sorting out difficult. Planning to be on holiday while the decorating is bring done. Hopefully our daughter will like her new room more than she currently does and also that she keeps on top of the tidying ;-) let's see. Have missed posting on here so will keep in touch more often, just need that motivation and support every so often that I'm heading in the right direction.
    • leelad
    • By leelad 21st Jul 19, 6:29 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    leelad
    Ps: have also filled up a toy box full of left over toys from when our daughter was a toddler. I'll be donating this to our childminder tomorrow who has been looking after her since she was 6 months old.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,409Users online

Martin's Twitter