Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 28th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,605Posts
    • 8,653Thanks
    MandM90
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)
    • 28th Nov 18, 1:34 PM
    The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;) 28th Nov 18 at 1:34 PM
    Thanks to fuddle for helping to keep your lovely thread safe from the spam gremlins by starting a new one. I've unstuck the old one, link below...

This will be the PREPPING thread inspired by this long running thread

and the second one which can be found here

Votes took place here on what this thread is designed primarily for outcome was as follows....

54% One thread please politics or not - all prep chat welcome
    11.29% Two threads - one Brexit based politics welcome, one general life based, preferred no politics
    19.35% One thread, no politics please, this is OS
    14.52% I don't honestly mind

So with these differing opinions, please bear this in mind and enjoy the thread Be respectful and enjoy the community. I really hope everyone's happy with the outcome. I tried to be as fair as I could.

Let's not forget the intermittent prepping thread

Guidelines

* All posters are welcome. This thread doesn't "belong" to anyone (not even me )

* Please be nice to all moneysavers

* Let's all draw a line in the sand and move on from previous threads and disagreements etc

* Would love to see new people joining in here and existing posters who have gone quiet for whatever reason

EVERYONE IS WELCOME

Enjoy the new thread Ladels and Jellyspoons. I've made this a sticky to ensure it gets a great start and lots of contribution.

ZIP

From the previous thread, let's not forget how this started - from vanoonoo

I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 52
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 5th Jul 19, 8:33 AM
    • 9,844 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    We spent a strangely happy afternoon at one museum, padding hangers for jackets & dresses. I don't think the lads admitted to it to anyone else but we got mildly competitive as to how smooth the curve & and well shaped a hangar we could contrive & the curator/assistant was trying different garments on different hangars to get the optimum combination.

If you get the chance, go for it. Replicating it at home is trickier but absolutely worth it for the really nice coats & suits.
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 5th Jul 19, 9:22 AM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 9,352 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Pleased to have been of service and here's hoping that your future clothes will be mildew-free and fragrant.

I really hate plastics for certain things and frankly think that they ought to be banned for shoe storage, I call plastic shoe boxes shoe coffins, cos they're gonna die in there.

I store some clothes in wicker hampers which, with cotton cloth linings, or a drop cloth over the top (to keep dust off), are attractive and very affordable storage for things which don't need to hang. I store seldom-used footwear in cotton bags for life, such as hiking boots which are only used in season.

Clothes storage areas should combine the following qualities:

1. Not in furniture (free-standing or built-ins) which backs onto an outside wall, a cold spot void or a bathroom - mould risk.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Oh, God yes. You’ve brought back some horrible memories. The built in wardrobe in my first house was against an outside wall, which was incredibly damp (for no reason I could ever work out). Everything that touched it grew mould. Since I was broke, the best I could do was buy some plastic “wicker” crates to slot into the shelves. The crates created room for air to circulate and prevented anything touching that wall.

2. Not exposed to sun - sun fades textiles, often unevenly, and rots cloth. Minimise sun exposure when line drying - bring 'em in as soon as they're dry.

3. Storage area should be as airy as possible, ideally not rammed with stuff, so air can circulate. You may want to leave wardrobe or cupboard doors ajar to promote air circulation.

4. Do not hang knitwear or knitted textiles as they will distort. Good hangers are key, the heavier the garment, the better the hanger should be. Shaped, padded hangers are to be recommended for coats and jackets.

5. Clothes should be aired before being returned to storage, if they are things like coats, jackets, suits etc. I think that washable things should not be returned to wardrobes or drawers once worn. By all means, re-wear, but air them out but keep them out of the storage areas until they are laundered again.

It's a good habit to bottom out clothes storage areas now and again, perhaps when changing over summer to winter clothes, to check that everything is still OK and that no little pesties have set up home. Clothes and shoes can and should last decades with reasonably careful storage, I know I was wearing some early 1960s pieces from my mother's youth when I was a student in the 1980s.
    What is your opinion re using cardboard archive boxes? Would they be moth resistant? They’re cheap, tough, stackable, able to take a heavy load but, being cardboard, shouldn’t cause sweating.

- Pip (I want to get this right)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 5th Jul 19, 5:19 PM
    • 12,592 Posts
    • 242,240 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    I think they'd be great, Pip

What attracts moths to garments are our (forgive the visual) 'bodily secretions' so scrupulously clean articles shouldn't be attractive to moths anyway.

If I were doing this, I would pack items away very clean, ironed and aired - if applicable, and loosely folded in the kon marie style, with something like lavender sachets/ cedar discs or balls inside. Not too tightly rammed, either.

I won't go near commercial moth balls, paradichlorobenzene (if memory has it correctly spelled) is a nerve poison - yuck.

Re having inherited a built-in wardrobe on an outside wall, you'd be astonished at how common this incredibly unwise habit is. Makes me want to clasp the perpetrators gently by the throat and demand to know what.were.they.thinking!?
    Last edited by GreyQueen; 05-07-2019 at 5:23 PM.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 6th Jul 19, 6:41 AM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 60,781 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Interesting about the wardrobes, I have a four bedroomed house and three of the rooms have fitted wardrobes. Never thought about it before but they're all against internal walls, so maybe modern house building takes that into account.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 6th Jul 19, 9:25 AM
    • 9,844 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Anyone got family or friends holidaying in California?
    Basic quake prepping as it kicks off is (if Indoors) DROP to the ground; take COVER by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture; and HOLD ON until the shaking stops. If there isn’t a table or desk near you, cover your face and head with your arms and crouch in an inside corner of the building.

Try to stay away from things like windows that could break & things that could fall like light fittings.

If you're in bed, stay there but protect you head - move if you are under a heavy light fixture that could fall.

Shelter only in a doorway that is a loadbearing one - most inside ones are not.

Stay inside until the shaking stops and it is safe to go outside. Do not exit a building during the shaking. (Most injuries occur when people move.)

DO NOT use elevators.

Remember the electricity may go out or the sprinkler systems or fire alarms may turn on.

So, happy holidays - & per 'Three of a Kind', "go in peace, love & protective headgear"...
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 6th Jul 19, 8:30 PM
    • 9,844 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Oh yes, additional bonus feature after earthquakes.

Fires.

Urban infrastructure doesn't always tolerate being wiggled so gas leaks can occur unnoticed for a bit & then 'boom'.
    Fuel stations are frankly a hazard.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 10th Jul 19, 5:42 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 26,710 Thanks
    jk0
    Secure Key
    I have asked a similar question on Landlordzone:

I have been notified by my bank that all online transactions will need to be authenticated by this stupid tiny calculator from September.

Other than using a smartphone, (which gives me a headache) has anyone found a bank account that does not require this?
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 10th Jul 19, 6:42 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    dreaming

I have been notified by my bank that all online transactions will need to be authenticated by this stupid tiny calculator from September.

Other than using a smartphone, (which gives me a headache) has anyone found a bank account that does not require this?
    Originally posted by jk0

There has been several posts on The Budgeting and Bank Accounts forum about this. It seems that new legislation coming in soon requires all banks to add in another level of authentication and some are going for the card reader or passcode calculator type gadget. Others seem to be using apps. or OTP authentication calls to mobiles. Not sure if anyone has found anything other than these. HTH
    • Chieveley
    • By Chieveley 10th Jul 19, 6:45 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Chieveley

Originally posted by jk0
    Santander does not require any gadget to login & laptop friendly.Requires a code by text when paying a new payee, and pays 1.5% interest but can't recall the threshold for that.
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 10th Jul 19, 6:53 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    dreaming
    Santander does not require any gadget to login & laptop friendly.Requires a code by text when paying a new payee, and pays 1.5% interest but can't recall the threshold for that.
    Originally posted by Chieveley
    Santander are also adding in the extra layer of security for logging in to your account, but not to a card-reader (so far). Just either their mobile app., or the OTP to a mobile.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 11th Jul 19, 4:38 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 26,710 Thanks
    jk0
    Oh, this is interesting. I emailed HSBC about this, and they tell me a larger secure key is available. I have asked them to send me one.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 11th Jul 19, 6:23 PM
    • 12,592 Posts
    • 242,240 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    What's a secure key, please?

My bank has a Verified by Visa thingummy but this may have been superceded by texting me a code when using a new payee for the first time. I quite like that, it's simple enough to use.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• dreaming
    • By dreaming 11th Jul 19, 6:47 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    dreaming
    What's a secure key, please?

My bank has a Verified by Visa thingummy but this may have been superceded by texting me a code when using a new payee for the first time. I quite like that, it's simple enough to use.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Due to the new legislation banks are having to add in another layer of security. Some are doing this by means of the customer having a card-reader - a small, calculator-looking device into which you insert your cash card, producing a code you have to key in when online/phone banking; others have similar-looking devices which you have to password-protect then when in use it produces a code to key in; other banks are using the OTP (one time passowrd) opetion being sent to the registered mobile (or landline by 1 or 2 banks) phone number.
    This thread on Budgeting and Bank Accounts has more details https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6021774
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 12th Jul 19, 5:37 AM
    • 12,592 Posts
    • 242,240 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Thanks for that, dreaming. I don't do online banking so I guess I missed that, just do a (small amount) of online shopping.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici

• DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Jul 19, 7:19 AM
    • 9,844 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Given the legislation to support all with disabilities, I can see a large size &/or Braille domestic gadget being produced & stashed awaiting everyone fed up with tiny keys! jk0 I hope they have one delivered to you soon & I do wonder how on earth they'll cope with the dyslexic community.

And on a completely unrelated note, you may not have realised the market price of the coffee bean has dropped? Which means farmers are earning less & therefore less likely to nurture their crops despite the demand for the end product increasing... The breakdown is eye-watering and another strong reason to carry a reusable cup with you - gouge down the profit margin a sip at a time.

Oh course, we do still have (& cherish/raid/enjoy/refill) our tea stashes, but I'm sure we all know someone who doesn't touch the stuff....
    Prepping for the awkward squad was never easy and while I can;t afford my own plantations I will be forging closer links with the middlepeople to see if I can't get & store a sack of beans for gradual depletion, grinding & enjoyment. Or at least access to their suppliers at a "not Dear Heavens, More Tea needed!" rate...
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 15th Jul 19, 4:40 PM
    • 3,983 Posts
    • 7,557 Thanks
    culpepper
    In my efforts to be disaster ready !! I am learning to weld.
    I have my machine which is a gasless flux core welder and various bits of metal to do it to. Just awaiting the magic self adjusting helmet and leather apron ,then look out anything not fixed down LOL.
    I have had a go with the little hand held face mask thing that came with the welder which works but I had to tie it to my head to have use of both hands still .. and wearing a leather jacket and gloves and it seems quite fun so far . Any other closet welders out there ?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Jul 19, 6:40 PM
    • 32,153 Posts
    • 189,930 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm not a closet welder, but I'm very impressed at you learning that particular skill, good for you! I'm stll digging the garden ... and I need to do something about my uncurtained kitchen window next door neighbour just told me she disturbed a man in her back garden at 1am last night
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • jk0
    • By jk0 20th Jul 19, 2:28 PM
    • 3,103 Posts
    • 26,710 Thanks
    jk0
    Marmite a pick me up?
    This is interesting guys:

A fortnight ago I finished renovating my latest rental. Since then I have been incredibly lethargic, sometimes falling asleep several times during the day. I already take Glucosamine, Sea Kelp, and multivitamins with iron.

I have been wracking my brains what food I could be missing out on now I'm based at home all day. It has only just come to me: I used to take Marmite sandwiches to the flat, but just have plain toast for lunch at home. I've had Marmite on my toast the last three days, and have started to feel normal again.

Amazing that that little jar, could have such an effect, eh?
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 20th Jul 19, 3:08 PM
    • 9,386 Posts
    • 60,781 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    It's all those B vitamins, jk0, Marmite is packed with them. I hate the stuff, though,
    One life - your life - live it!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 20th Jul 19, 5:35 PM
    • 3,089 Posts
    • 37,982 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    If in doubt - eat Twig1ets!
    Angie

GC Aug 19 - £437.18/£450
    2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 39 coupons left out of 66

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,444Posts Today

6,000Users online

Martin's Twitter