Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UKParliament
      Verified User verified user
    • By UKParliament Verified User verified user 18th Jul 19, 3:05 PM
    • 742Posts
    • 575Thanks
    UKParliament
    An MP wants to know your experiences of Pension Credit
    • 18th Jul 19, 3:05 PM
    An MP wants to know your experiences of Pension Credit 18th Jul 19 at 3:05 PM
    Did you know that those over 75 claiming pension credit will be exempt from the TV licence fee?

Labour MP Chris Elmore argues that “pensioner poverty and loneliness among older people are soaring across the UK, and the changes to TV licence fee entitlement mean this situation could worsen. 1.3 million people currently don’t claim the pension credit they may be entitled to.”

-Have you heard of pension credit?
    -Do you know anyone not currently claiming the pension credit they may be entitled to?

On Wednesday 24 July, he will lead a Westminster Hall debate on Pension Credit. He wants to hear about your experiences to help inform his debate. Comment on this thread or on our Facebook post.

He wants the government to “radically overhaul the way they promote pension credit to ensure nobody else risks being pushed into poverty.”

We’ll pass your comments on to him and he may use your examples during his debate. We’ll post links to watch the debate and read the transcript when they become available on Wednesday 24 July.

Please submit your comments before midday on Tuesday 23 July.
    ---
    Your name, and any information or opinions you provide, may be shared with Chris Elmore MP and used in a parliamentary debate which will be on the record and available on Parliament TV and Hansard. Please ensure that you are happy with your comment before sharing.
    Last edited by UKParliament; 18-07-2019 at 3:08 PM.
    Official Organisation Representative
    I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
Page 1
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 18th Jul 19, 3:44 PM
    • 14,357 Posts
    • 12,627 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 18th Jul 19, 3:44 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 3:44 PM
    Did you know that those over 75 claiming pension credit will be exempt from the TV licence fee?
    Originally posted by UKParliament
    Yes
    Labour MP Chris Elmore argues that “pensioner poverty and loneliness among older people are soaring across the UK,
    He seems to have a strange definition of "soaring", according to well respected poverty charity the JRF, https://www.jrf.org.uk/data/pensioner-poverty

pensioner poverty has been fairly flat since around 2006. Small differences with different groups, but overall fairly flat over the last 13 years or so. But I guess he's a politican and they like to use hyperbole with their political footballs...
    and the changes to TV licence fee entitlement mean this situation could worsen. 1.3 million people currently don’t claim the pension credit they may be entitled to.”

Yes
    -Do you know anyone not currently claiming the pension credit they may be entitled to?
    Possibly. I'm always nagging my Mum to check. I think the main thing people don't realise is that although it's means tested on capital as well as income, you can have quite large amounts in savings and still be entitled. It doesn't have the usual £16k cut off for means tested benefits and the tariff income for capital is lower.
    On Wednesday 24 July, he will lead a Westminster Hall debate on Pension Credit. He wants to hear about your experiences to help inform his debate. Comment on this thread or on our Facebook post.

He wants the government to “radically overhaul the way they promote pension credit to ensure nobody else risks being pushed into poverty.”
    Some examples of people with eg £30k in savings and still entitled may be useful.
    • ex-pat scot
    • By ex-pat scot 18th Jul 19, 4:11 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    ex-pat scot
    • 18th Jul 19, 4:11 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 4:11 PM
    Yes I am aware of pension credit and TV licence.

However i am not aware of "pensioner poverty and loneliness among older people are soaring across the UK". A quick fact check rather suggests this is not the case.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/work-pay-and-benefits
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 18th Jul 19, 6:32 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 1,951 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    • 18th Jul 19, 6:32 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 6:32 PM
    What about the antisemitism in his own party?
    Financial Independence achieved with SIPP PCLS in June 2019.
    Now part retired (working a 2 day week).
    • Terron
    • By Terron 18th Jul 19, 7:28 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    Terron
    • 18th Jul 19, 7:28 PM
    • 18th Jul 19, 7:28 PM

Yes.

-Yes.

-No one I know well enough to ask such questions. The pensioner I know best is too wealthy to qualify. There are benefits he could probably claim and isn't, but he isn't short of money. He is over 90, has diabetes and his sight is poor. . He could do with more assistance but is too proud to ask for it. So his neighbours and my sister have to help out.
    • Turpinr
    • By Turpinr 19th Jul 19, 7:15 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Turpinr
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:15 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:15 AM
    What about anti-working class, anti poor, anti disabled and anti animal in the Tory party?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Jul 19, 7:26 AM
    • 23,188 Posts
    • 62,665 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:26 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:26 AM
    Yes, I did.

Obviously I've heard of pension credit.
    Does the free licence apply only to people receiving Guarantee Pension Credit or Savings Pension Credit too?
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 19th Jul 19, 9:37 AM
    • 6,891 Posts
    • 3,578 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 19th Jul 19, 9:37 AM
    • 19th Jul 19, 9:37 AM
    Labour MP Chris Elmore argues that “pensioner poverty and loneliness among older people are soaring across the UK,"
    Would our Chris be looking for a bandwagon to jump upon, even though it doesn't actually exist?

Sad thing is, most will actually believe this is true - which as shown above, demonstrably isn't.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 19th Jul 19, 7:13 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 3,728 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:13 PM
    • 19th Jul 19, 7:13 PM
    The pensioner I know best is too wealthy to qualify. There are benefits he could probably claim and isn't, but he isn't short of money. He is over 90, has diabetes and his sight is poor. He could do with more assistance but is too proud to ask for it. So his neighbours and my sister have to help out.
    Originally posted by Terron
    The benefit he is likely to be eligible for is Attendance Allowance:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/
    Which is not means tested.

Sadly, AA is probably an even more under-claimed benefit than PC.
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/sep/30/attendance-allowance-elderly-miss-out
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Terron
    • By Terron 19th Jul 19, 9:22 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    Terron
    The benefit he is likely to be eligible for is Attendance Allowance:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/
    Which is not means tested.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/sep/30/attendance-allowance-elderly-miss-out
    Originally posted by Alice Holt

That is the one I was thinking of.
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 20th Jul 19, 12:52 PM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 1,915 Thanks
    LHW99
    Not surprising really, as the forms are fairly long-winded, and even if the claim is accepted (if you are elderly you would definately need help getting it all filled in properly) there is then a gap. Although the payments can be "backdated" to the date of application, the condition has to have existed for 6 months before any payment is made (unless terminal). So someone who eg has a fall, and comes out of hospital with needs that they didn't have before won't get any support unless they can afford to pay for it themselves in the interim.
    • UKParliament
      Verified User verified user
    • By UKParliament Verified User verified user 25th Jul 19, 12:57 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    UKParliament
    On Wednesday 24 July, Chris Elmore led the debate on access to pension credit.

Introducing the debate he said:

“Pension credit is failing. It is failing the ballooning number of pensioners who are living in poverty across our communities, and the Government’s broken promise on free TV licences could be about to make things much, much worse […] the Government need to do a lot more to encourage pensioners to claim pension credit and make them understand that there is no stigma in their gaining pension credit.”

He paid tribute to those who made contributions to the debate online:

“I thank everyone who responded to the questions posted online or shared their views about them.”

Work and Pensions Minister Guy Opperman MP responded to the debate, setting out the Government’s position on the issues and updating MPs on recent developments.

You can read the full transcript of the debate on Hansard.

Watch it on Parliamentlive.tv

Read a House of Commons Library Briefing on current issues with Pension Credit.
    Official Organisation Representative
    I’m the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 25th Jul 19, 1:01 PM
    • 6,891 Posts
    • 3,578 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    It is failing the ballooning number of pensioners who are living in poverty across our communities
    So, even though it was pointed out on here that he'd be lying if he said that, he still went ahead and said it.

-_-

Shouldn't really be surprised, I suppose. Even official consultations the government put out ignore dissenting opinions to the point where no-one even know they were submitted.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 25th Jul 19, 4:43 PM
    • 2,609 Posts
    • 4,135 Thanks
    badmemory
    It would be interesting to know if the "hit the benefit claimant" culture of the last few years has increased the proportion of possible claimants who do not claim pension credit.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 25th Jul 19, 5:52 PM
    • 14,357 Posts
    • 12,627 Thanks
    zagfles
    It would be interesting to know if the "hit the benefit claimant" culture of the last few years has increased the proportion of possible claimants who do not claim pension credit.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Does this "culture" actually exist or is it another myth propagated by the likes of those who think pensioner poverty is "soaring"?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,564Posts Today

5,805Users online

Martin's Twitter