Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Derbychick
    • By Derbychick 17th Jun 19, 6:17 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Derbychick
    Bank account fee 6 year limit?
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:17 PM
    Bank account fee 6 year limit? 17th Jun 19 at 6:17 PM
    Hi, I submitted an application to reclaim bank charges from Barclays after I spent years paying for an Additions account that I didn't want. I have received a reply saying that I am unable to claim because it was over 6 years ago. Is this correct? I still have all my bank statements. Thanks
Page 1
    • societys child
    • By societys child 17th Jun 19, 6:57 PM
    • 6,359 Posts
    • 7,448 Thanks
    societys child
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:57 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:57 PM
    . . . reclaim bank charges from Barclays after I spent years paying for an Additions account that I didn't want
    The first obvious question is, if you didn't want it, why didn't you cancel the account at the time?

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    • 24,390 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 6:59 PM
    I spent years paying for an Additions account that I didn't want. I have received a reply saying that I am unable to claim because it was over 6 years ago.
    Originally posted by Derbychick
    You are time barred from complaint I'm afraid, you've left it too long...
    • Derbychick
    • By Derbychick 17th Jun 19, 7:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derbychick
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:08 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:08 PM
    Why are you in a position to judge me and my situation? Why waste time responding if you have nothing useful or interesting to say?
    • Derbychick
    • By Derbychick 17th Jun 19, 7:09 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Derbychick
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:09 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:09 PM
    Thank you for confirming the time restraint. Can I also add the it was over 20 years so it isn't a case of leaving it too long. There was not the opportunity at the time ...
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 17th Jun 19, 7:14 PM
    • 24,390 Posts
    • 13,907 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:14 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 7:14 PM
    Thank you for confirming the time restraint. Can I also add the it was over 20 years so it isn't a case of leaving it too long. There was not the opportunity at the time ...
    You always had the "opportunity" to cancel your fee paying account and open a free one.

You've simply left it too long to complain about it, not too long to cancel.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Jun 19, 9:01 AM
    • 7,603 Posts
    • 4,836 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 18th Jun 19, 9:01 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 9:01 AM

The finance world has 2 relevant time bar rules - 3 and 6 year

3 year is from when you knew (or could reasonably have known) that you had a reason to complain

6 year is from the point you opened the account

The banks sending you an annual statement letter advising you of what you were paying for and advising of free alternatives is sufficient to trigger the 3 year rule and your account obviously meets the 6 year rule too, hence they have blocked it.

What societys child is pointing out is that if you were unhappy with the account, in order to consider waiving these rules, it would be queried by the bank why you didn't complain 20 years ago
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right. Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community... -Winston Churchill 1961
    The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.
    - Winston Churchill 1963
    • P0123
    • By P0123 1st Jul 19, 5:32 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    P0123
    • 1st Jul 19, 5:32 PM
    • 1st Jul 19, 5:32 PM
    Derbychick, I completely agree, and empathise, with you!
    I once posted about a situation connected with my being out of work at the time - I got replies telling me to get a job, and the equivalent!! (They didn't know my personal circumstances, either.)
    • brown1950
    • By brown1950 6th Jul 19, 10:46 PM
    • 261 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    brown1950
    • 6th Jul 19, 10:46 PM
    • 6th Jul 19, 10:46 PM
    Hi, I submitted an application to reclaim bank charges from Barclays after I spent years paying for an Additions account that I didn't want. I have received a reply saying that I am unable to claim because it was over 6 years ago. Is this correct? I still have all my bank statements. Thanks
    im.

You have 3 years to claim FROM knowing when you could claim !
    So if your Additions account started 10 years ago and you only became aware you could claim for a refund 2 years ago then yes you can claim.
    When did you become aware you could claim ?
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 6th Jul 19, 11:16 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    SonOf
    You have 3 years to claim FROM knowing when you could claim !
    You have three years from being reasonably aware of an issue which could lead to a complaint. Its a slight variation of what you are saying as you dont need to be told by anyone that you have a complaint.

In the case of packaged bank accounts, you have three years from the first annual benefit statement for example. Nothing in there says you can complain.
    • brown1950
    • By brown1950 7th Jul 19, 12:20 AM
    • 261 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    brown1950
    You have three years from being reasonably aware of an issue which could lead to a complaint. Its a slight variation of what you are saying as you dont need to be told by anyone that you have a complaint.

In the case of packaged bank accounts, you have three years from the first annual benefit statement for example. Nothing in there says you can complain.
    Originally posted by SonOf
    Contractual claims based on fraud or concealment by the defendant, or based on a mistake The period of limitation will not begin to run until the claimant has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake or from the time at which the claimant could have discovered it with reasonable diligence s 32 of the LA 1980
    • societys child
    • By societys child 7th Jul 19, 9:50 AM
    • 6,359 Posts
    • 7,448 Thanks
    societys child
    What fraud, concealment and/or mistake are you referring to?

• SonOf
    • By SonOf 7th Jul 19, 10:52 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    SonOf
    Contractual claims based on fraud or concealment by the defendant, or based on a mistake The period of limitation will not begin to run until the claimant has discovered the fraud, concealment or mistake or from the time at which the claimant could have discovered it with reasonable diligence s 32 of the LA 1980
    Originally posted by brown1950
    That is just a load of rubbish and irrelevant in the case of PBA complaints.
    • KILL BILL
    • By KILL BILL 20th Jul 19, 12:13 PM
    • 2,091 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    KILL BILL
    I made a claim against my old bank - natwest and the PBA where about 14 years old - i thought that as they where so old that they would not refund me the fees - but they did in a cheque today and added interest.

So like one of the posters said - nasqueron refer them to the 6 and 3 year rule
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,269Posts Today

6,268Users online

Martin's Twitter