Help needed on ppi claim

Options
My partner stupidly contacted an online company to claim ppi.
Anyway we have received letters from our bank and building society to say they are refunding us. My partner has never signed anything from the ppi company. The bank sent details to ME not my partnerp of refund and are putting it into our chosen account. I had to fill out a form to tell bank where I wanted it to go, ie which account. The building society are putting it into our account.
I understand we have to pay a fee to the ppi company but as my partner hasn't signed anything or involved me in the claim I'm confused why it was sent to me.
What do we do next? Contact the ppi company?? My partner recieved a letter today with the same letter and form we got from the bank asking him to fill it out and the company will sort it.
Very confused so hope this makes sense.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If he hasn't agreed to anything, then he doesn't owe anything.

If he has, then he'll need to pay their fee.

He need to check/dispute it with them.
  • delores77
    delores77 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I will read through everything but he hasn't signed anything but has spoke on the phone to someone so presume this is a verbal agreement??
  • The_squirrell
    Options
    If he has not signed anything, I cannot see what work a Claims company will have done as they will be unable to progress with anything without a signed letter of authority. No bank will investigate without this.
    If they have done nothing other than have a conversation with him, then I could see that there will be nothing to pay
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
  • delores77
    Options
    Thank you for your help. This is what's causing our confusion as he has not signed anything. But we have had letters from the bank and building society to say we are getting a refund which will be in our account within 4 weeks. Very confusing.
  • The_squirrell
    Options
    It seems that the claims company have gone ahead in some way and if they contacted the bank on your behalf, they will be expecting their fees from any payment.

If your husband is adamant that he didn't sign anything, he can submit a Subject Access Request to the claims company who will then need to provide all the personal information held on him which should include a signed letter of authority. If this is genuinely signed, then unfortunately the fee would need to be paid.
    I work in Data Protection and spend my days dealing with CMC's. Only here trying to help!!
  • delores77
    Options
    Thanks again. To be honest we are ok about paying a fee (although I would of done it using the MSE letters not used a company) but dont understand how this went through.
  • delores77
    Options
    Ok. I have recieved another letter from the building to say they were investigating claim as my partner had contacted a ppi company. Because we are joint account holders they are giving me 50% of the claim which will go into my account. I have checked and the money is in there. The letter also says because my partner has not signed anything they cant deal with his part of the claim until he does.
    I am amazed that I have recieved this payment as I haven't signed or been involved in any of it!
    Also another letter from the bank says they are paying me my 50% and also says about my partner not signing etc
    My question is...Could the PPI company claim money from me??
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No. If they have a signed letter of authority then the fee comes from his 50%. The fee is applied before any deductions for tax.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    delores77 wrote: »
    My question is...Could the PPI company claim money from me??
    No, because they don't have a contract with you. It's possible that the Claim Company will want to charge a fee based on the whole redress amount (including your half) if and when your partner signs their letter of authority. This is something you'd be able to dispute.
  • delores77
    Options
    Thank you for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business