Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Abdal_T
    • By Abdal_T 21st Jun 19, 3:26 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Abdal_T
    Payment required via bank transfer on gumtree - Is it safe?
    • 21st Jun 19, 3:26 AM
    Payment required via bank transfer on gumtree - Is it safe? 21st Jun 19 at 3:26 AM
    Hi,
    so I stumbled upon this irresistible deal on gumtree. The only trouble is that it's quite far away. So I need him to ship the item to which the seller agreed. However, due to some bad experience with PayPal in the past the seller only takes payment via bank transfer.
    Now my Question is,
    • is it safe for me to pay him via bank transfer?
    • Is there anyway for me to get my money back in case this turns out to be a fraud?
    • What sort of confirmation should I ask the seller after which I can initiate the payment on my side?
    To be honest, this looks like "too good to be true" deal but if safe, I want to give it a go.

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by Abdal_T; 21-06-2019 at 3:27 AM. Reason: Better phrasing
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 21st Jun 19, 4:41 AM
    • 2,214 Posts
    • 4,060 Thanks
    _shel
    • 21st Jun 19, 4:41 AM
    Hi,
    so I stumbled upon this irresistible deal on gumtree. The only trouble is that it's quite far away. So I need him to ship the item to which the seller agreed. However, due to some bad experience with PayPal in the past the seller only takes payment via bank transfer.
    Now my Question is,
    • Is there anyway for me to get my money back in case this turns out to be a fraud?
    • What sort of confirmation should I ask the seller after which I can initiate the payment on my side?
    To be honest, this looks like "too good to be true" deal but if safe, I want to give it a go.

Thanks in advance!!
    Originally posted by Abdal_T
    Generally not safe as there is no way to get your money back. It's the same as handing over cash.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 21st Jun 19, 4:41 AM
    • 3,953 Posts
    • 5,204 Thanks
    unforeseen
    No and No to the first 2 questions. That's why the seller doesn't want to use PayPal.

Stick with 'too good to be true'
    • soolin
    • By soolin 21st Jun 19, 6:12 AM
    • 62,478 Posts
    • 44,906 Thanks
    soolin
    • 21st Jun 19, 6:12 AM
    • 21st Jun 19, 6:12 AM
    Look at the Gumtree FAQ's they warn about paying for something with bank transfer as it is not safe for any buyer. Gumtree is a scammers paradise with sellers taking bank transfers and then disappearing, just do a Google search.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • bubble565
    • By bubble565 21st Jun 19, 7:04 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bubble565
    • 21st Jun 19, 7:04 AM
    • 21st Jun 19, 7:04 AM
    100% scam.
    • stripeyfox
    • By stripeyfox 21st Jun 19, 7:46 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    stripeyfox
    • 21st Jun 19, 7:46 AM
    • 21st Jun 19, 7:46 AM
    Hi,
    Now my Question is,

Thanks in advance!!
    Originally posted by Abdal_T
    There's the first warning bell!

Go to collect the item in person and hand over the money when you're happy that it is what it claims to be.
    • bris
    • By bris 21st Jun 19, 1:17 PM
    • 8,762 Posts
    • 7,642 Thanks
    bris
    • 21st Jun 19, 1:17 PM
    • 21st Jun 19, 1:17 PM
    Can you be more exact? How did he contacted you? Did he use some kind of a company? Please send more details about this
    Originally posted by bubble565
    Doesn't need to be, it's a common scam that still catchers people to this day. Getting a bargain seems to be to irresistible to some people.
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 21st Jun 19, 4:34 PM
    • 27,204 Posts
    • 325,348 Thanks
    davemorton
    • 21st Jun 19, 4:34 PM
    • 21st Jun 19, 4:34 PM
    Ask him if you can collect and pay cash (even if you cant). You will get your answer soon enough that it is a scam when he says you cant.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • d123
    • By d123 21st Jun 19, 5:23 PM
    • 7,980 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    d123
    • 21st Jun 19, 5:23 PM
    • 21st Jun 19, 5:23 PM
    100% a scam, these “irresistible deals” seem to be appearing on gumtree every day lately.
    ====
    • soolin
    • By soolin 21st Jun 19, 5:38 PM
    • 62,478 Posts
    • 44,906 Thanks
    soolin
    Ask him if you can collect and pay cash (even if you cant). You will get your answer soon enough that it is a scam when he says you cant.
    Originally posted by davemorton
    No need it's so obviously a scam it's not even worth wasting time typing an email.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • soolin
    • By soolin 21st Jun 19, 5:47 PM
    • 62,478 Posts
    • 44,906 Thanks
    soolin
    looks like we are picking up some post builders today, if you see anything that looks spammy can you click the spam button and let the forum team decide.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Shaza0906
    • By Shaza0906 19th Jul 19, 8:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shaza0906
    Hi I've just been scammed last week with a guy saying he had a rented flat and stupidly I transfered the deposit with bank transfer as he convinced me it was legit being a British loyds bank account.. Everything sounded genuine as he was going to pay it into the deposit protection scheme in the morning.. Long story short there was no flat and he has taken £550..hes English and I even spoke to him on the phone. Is there anything I can do for like banks to I trace him? Think he's prob scammed a lot more. Thanks..
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 20th Jul 19, 9:36 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    MarkN88
    No because you willingly sent the deposit through bank transfer.
    • d123
    • By d123 20th Jul 19, 9:47 AM
    • 7,980 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    d123
    Hi I've just been scammed last week with a guy saying he had a rented flat and stupidly I transfered the deposit with bank transfer as he convinced me it was legit being a British loyds bank account.. Everything sounded genuine as he was going to pay it into the deposit protection scheme in the morning.. Long story short there was no flat and he has taken £550..hes English and I even spoke to him on the phone. Is there anything I can do for like banks to I trace him? Think he's prob scammed a lot more. Thanks..
    Originally posted by Shaza0906
    Nothing you can do except report the matter to ActionFraud.

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
    ====
    • prowla
    • By prowla 20th Jul 19, 9:50 AM
    • 10,492 Posts
    • 9,077 Thanks
    prowla
    The transfer is safe insofar as it will go through and you're not opening your bank account.

However, it is not safe with regards to protecting you should the item not arrive; it's the same with PPG (PayPal Gift).
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 24th Jul 19, 2:32 AM
    • 323 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Korkyb
    Not sure why everyone is sure this is a scam.

I'd be interested to know if the Ops seller advertised the item for postage or if it was a local / pickup ad that the Op then asked if it could be posted (if that was the case then its less likely to be a scam).

I might well be the seller in question as I had an item advertised on Gumtree this week and have had 2 requests to post it (it was on at a good price).

I said I was happy to post but wont accept paypal - only bank transfer.

My reason for this is that on 2 occasions I have previously sent items after receiving a payment by Paypal only to have the money taken back because the buyers said that the package contained something else (a brick in one instance) so proof of delivery was useless.

I've sold my item now (locally) but would be interested to know if there is a way around this that would protect the seller & the buyer when posting?

If not then I'll be sticking to my advertising on Gumtree for local buyers & if anyone wants me to post it then they will have to trust me.

I've more or less given up selling on eBay because I cant be bothered with the number of scammers. At least on Gumtree I can decide who I sell to and retain some control.
    Last edited by Korkyb; 24-07-2019 at 2:42 AM. Reason: ...
    • soolin
    • By soolin 24th Jul 19, 5:59 AM
    • 62,478 Posts
    • 44,906 Thanks
    soolin
    Not sure why everyone is sure this is a scam.

I'd be interested to know if the Ops seller advertised the item for postage or if it was a local / pickup ad that the Op then asked if it could be posted (if that was the case then its less likely to be a scam).

I might well be the seller in question as I had an item advertised on Gumtree this week and have had 2 requests to post it (it was on at a good price).

I said I was happy to post but wont accept paypal - only bank transfer.

My reason for this is that on 2 occasions I have previously sent items after receiving a payment by Paypal only to have the money taken back because the buyers said that the package contained something else (a brick in one instance) so proof of delivery was useless.

I've sold my item now (locally) but would be interested to know if there is a way around this that would protect the seller & the buyer when posting?

If not then I'll be sticking to my advertising on Gumtree for local buyers & if anyone wants me to post it then they will have to trust me.

I've more or less given up selling on eBay because I cant be bothered with the number of scammers. At least on Gumtree I can decide who I sell to and retain some control.
    Originally posted by Korkyb
    With gumtree it is best to stick to face to face for cash. Bank transfer is an absolute no no for a buyer, and whilst I understand your reasoning I think any buyer basically givinfpg their cash away to a stranger is being foolish. Yes it is about trust, and Gumtree using bank transfer is a known scam so not to be trusted.

You have been unlucky with PayPal, many of us on here use it as a seller hundreds of times a month , I sell a lot on Facebook marketplace as well as eBay for instance and use it all the time to sell.
    There is no way at all that I would ever use a bank transfer to a stranger on any platform for any amount, just google 'Gumtree and bank transfer scam'.
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,615Posts Today

5,239Users online

Martin's Twitter