Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Mar 18, 6:28 AM
    • 8,800Posts
    • 45,221Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's country living adventure
    • 11th Mar 18, 6:28 AM
    Cheery's country living adventure 11th Mar 18 at 6:28 AM
    Hello lovely people

I'm Cheery, been around these parts a long time now and had several DFW diaries over the years, most recently here.

We are two - Mr Cheery and I. We've been together over 12 years now, and last week we moved from the middle of the city to the middle of nowhere. We were snowed in within 24 hours and unable to leave for a week Quite an introduction to country living

I now have a mortgage for the first time in my life Mr Cheery had one before, but as it was near the end when I met him, we never added me, and then it got to the end of its 25 year span a few years ago. Now we have a brand new one, and I would like to pay it off as soon as possible

It's going to take a while - we've borrowed 215,000 over 25 years A reasonable rate though (1.8%), fixed until Sept 2019. Our monthly payment is 890, and I'd like to overpay by 10 at least - with the aim of on average paying off an extra 110 a month to take it up to a round 1000.

If we don't pay it off early, it'll run til I'm 62, and Mr Cheery is 80 A good incentive to get on with it

Sadly our building society doesn't have online banking for mortgages (bloody ridiculous) and only sends annual statements, so it looks like I'll be ringing them up every five minutes for a new balance

I would love it if you dropped in occasionally for a nice cup of tea, especially if you brought along some cake

More details in a minute
Page 42
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Jul 19, 6:25 PM
    • 8,800 Posts
    • 45,221 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    A sensible course of action greenbee!

I received my signature with 15 mins to spare, and met my deadline with 10 mins to spare. NOT acceptable when this is an externally set deadline that has knock on effects both for the organisation and for my career if we didn"t meet it

Nobody would have died of course, but I have now had several apologies from various parties so I hope lessons will be learned

Mr Cheery has had a similarly vexing day for different reasons so we tried to go out for tea but were thwarted by our favourite restaurant being shut for no reason. So we came home via the supermarket for treats and will spend the evening on the sofa with a lot of well-deserved booze instead
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 17th Jul 19, 6:58 PM
    • 13,369 Posts
    • 226,892 Thanks
    greenbee
    Glad you got your signature. Enjoy your booze.

I rashly invited friends over for supper tomorrow, so need to work out what to feed them. When I find out exactly who is arriving at what time... I suspect that one individual may have miscommunicated with his wife

Obviously rather than thinking about what I'm feeding them and doing the prep and cooking, I've been blitzing the house and garden. Lots of overdue stuff done, but I'm not sure it was entirely necessary. However the house is looking great. Garden is looking a bit dry and over, apart from the stream which is choked with giant weed!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th Jul 19, 8:14 PM
    • 8,800 Posts
    • 45,221 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I think blitzing the house and garden is an admirable pre-visitor task greenbee! Hope you had a lovely time with your visitor

Well it's been a weird old day here. Fine, but weird. My first day off (of 10) But the *weather*! Good gracious. Thought the fog was going to envelope us completely at one point, and I've not seen it rain so hard for a long time Definitely a day for sitting cosy inside

Still, some things have been achieved We did trundle to a cafe for tea and a shared cake And I've done some scything of the lawn, and potted up some tomato seedlings, and shovelled four wheelbarrow loads of cow muck round my fruit trees

And Mr Cheery made lentil soup for lunch, and I made kind of a no-meat balls bake thing for tea, so we've not eaten toooooo badly.

Spent quite a bit of time holed up staring at the computer screen with one thing and another though quite a bit of matched betting... (it's kind of become my default staring-at-the-screen activity now which I suppose saves me from other internet rabbit holes and at least makes us some money in the meantime ).

And I've done YNAB again - less than a week after last time! All looking acceptable (especially now I've remembered to transfer 500 from the savings account to cover what has already drip fed into the two regular savers Wondered what had happened there for a while!)

That's all ticking along nicely, so thank you SO much to those of you who helped and encouraged me to set it all up at the start There's 1500 in one of them, and 1250 in the other (I can't remember which has what percentage interest now, although sadly I think the 5% one was reduced to 3% anyway after a few months) but it's building up nicely Looking forward to totting it all up at the end of the year

Right, while I'm in screen-staring financial mode, I'm going to go and do my final mortgage calculations.. back in a bit...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th Jul 19, 8:48 PM
    • 8,800 Posts
    • 45,221 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right, mortgage calculations done and decision made

If we pay a the biggest upfront fee of 1600 to get the lowest rate of 2.06%, we save a total of 696 over the no-fee rate of 2.26% over the five year fix.

BUT if we take that 1600 and instead pay it off NOW (rather than paying it as a fee for the new fix to start in October), and take the no-fee fix of 2.26%, we save a total of 1097.22 over the five years

Goodness me I love this website and my increased financial literacy

And also, psychologically it feels better paying the 1600 as an overpayment, rather than as a fee

And yes, I am VERY grateful we are in the fortunate position of being able to pay off that lump some, partly from various little scrimpings and savings, and partly my recent MB efforts.

Feeling very grateful tonight
    • edwink
    • By edwink 19th Jul 19, 10:46 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 14,387 Thanks
    edwink
    Right, mortgage calculations done and decision made

And yes, I am VERY grateful we are in the fortunate position of being able to pay off that lump some, partly from various little scrimpings and savings, and partly my recent MB efforts.

Feeling very grateful tonight
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Aww bless you Cheery. You are doing so well

Blimey that 1600 mortgage fee nearly made me fall off my chair, that's an eye watering amount. For what it's worth had I been in your shoes I would have chosen the same mortgage that you have. As it is fixed for 5 years it will give you some breathing space and you won't need to sort it for quite a while now Good luck with the over payments. It all makes a difference in the end. We over paid on our mortgage as and when we could and each time we kept the mortgage payments the same because we knew that is what we could afford and doing that made a difference to our mortgage amount too. It's quite addictive once you start paying some off and all you want to do is pay more and more off but when you have a house and run a couple of cars it is not always easy but like you we threw all we could at it. We have been mortgage free for 10 years now and all I can say is keep chipping away at it Cheery because it is definitely well worth all the effort, seriously it is.

Well done with the MB, you seem to have picked that up pretty sharpish you clever lady. To be honest I wouldn't know where to start with it. I keep popping on to your thread to see how well you are doing with it. How you find the time with your work and other commitments is amazing. You are certainly a little grafter that's for sure.

Big (((((HUG)))))

Edwink x
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    1 Duck called Hoppy Nine Lives. RIP Pingu
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th Jul 19, 8:55 AM
    • 32,125 Posts
    • 189,752 Thanks
    Karmacat
    What a great result for all your hard work, Cheery - all of it, from the scything to the financial research to the MBing. I definitely think you deserved that cake and a whole lot more. Hope you've got something nice planned for your time off, but I bet you have a great time anyway.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 20th Jul 19, 9:43 AM
    • 13,369 Posts
    • 226,892 Thanks
    greenbee
    I think blitzing the house and garden is an admirable pre-visitor task greenbee! Hope you had a lovely time with your visitor
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    It was lovely thanks

It was nice to cook properly (and have the space to do it ... although I did have to dig through boxes looking for my hand whisk!), and feels very odd to have a full fridge and a tidy house. It's actually as if I live here and not just come back to unpack/do laundry/repack.

So I now need to bite the bullet on the outstanding work on the house and get into the habit of inviting people over a bit more often! And also start filling up the freezer again with ready meals for when I'm back travelling. I'm hoping it'll warm up again soon as I have lots of nice salad stuff to use up!

Well done on the scything. I've got mine out and sharpened it, but I'm a little reluctant to use it (I only have a small patch to do). I also need to repair the hand sickle I use for clearing weed in the river, as oiling it means one of the rusted-in screws holding the blade on has come out so I need to find another one before I can use it again!

Well done on the mortgage decision too. I found the maths quite frustrating, but I'm glad I fixed for 5 years this time as its worth it not to have to do the paperwork quite so frequently!
    • debtfreeoneday
    • By debtfreeoneday 21st Jul 19, 6:58 AM
    • 3,036 Posts
    • 10,493 Thanks
    debtfreeoneday
    Well done on having the amount to OP and its good to know you have the mortgage sorted for 5 years isn't it. Mortgage fees are so wrong!
    DFW (08/08) 64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) 79,985.38
    • ElmoR
    • By ElmoR 27th Jul 19, 8:40 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    ElmoR
    Love the image of you scything Cheery
    2018 40,000 and 2027 M end date
    Aiming to reduce to, using OPs: 2019 30k, 2020 20k, 2021 10K, 2022 MF
    • lindez
    • By lindez 29th Jul 19, 10:27 AM
    • 533 Posts
    • 2,417 Thanks
    lindez
    Just caught up wow cheery you have been busy again. Loved all the mortgage working outs it has helped me too so a big thank you. My deal ends this week 2nd August I did try and sort it out in June but had so much hassle missed paperwork etc. Anyway I decided to let the deal run to the end because I want to pay off a lump sum payment and start again. x
    MFWB#44
    MFTT5 #28
    save 12k in 2019 #71
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 30th Jul 19, 7:10 PM
    • 8,800 Posts
    • 45,221 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening chums

Glad all my witterings have helped you lindez! I always get so much from reading the nerdy details in other people's posts Love it that we can indulge ourselves in that ridiculous level of detail here

Speaking of which.... I have just made my overpayment

Decided on 'just' 1200 rather than the 1600 I'd planned. The 1600 was only because that was one of the fees on the new fixed deal, and while we do have some savings, we are also in the process of trying to acquire a builder (or a building qualification, which, as usual, would be cheaper, quicker, and a lot less hassle )

We already had 675 saved up for overpayments anyway, from the marriage tax allowance and various surveys etc, so I've just transferred the other 525 from the matched betting pot

Balance should now be roughly just under 201,000 (they can only give to the nearest 100 over the phone for some annoying reason), and with the usual August payment of 889, that should take it pretty close to being under 200k, which is what I wanted when we re-fixed

Going to wait til I've got the letter about this (probably next week now), and then press the button to apply for the fix.

Oh! The only thing is, I asked for it to be taken off the term, as Martin always tells us to, and he said I couldn't and would have to apply for a new mortgage if I wanted to reduce the term. I mean, I don't actually want to 'reduce the term' officially to 20 years (or whatever) - I just want it to not reduce the monthly amount, like Martin says, but the words Martin uses are 'reduce the term' so... I got all confused and just told him to do whatever, but I wanted to keep the monthly payments the same

I understand that this will come back to bite me in 15 years when I'm close to the end and won't be able to overpay more than 10% (although I confess I don't quite understand WHY ) but since we're just fixing for 5 years now, and will be VERY unlikely to be able to overpay more than 10% a year in the next 5 years, I'll worry about it later and just carry on overpaying as usual now

Did I tell you I'd joined the MFW three year challenge? Started the year at 208k, and I want to be at 175k after the three years is up (in Jan 2022). Basically that just requires us to overpay by 200 a month now for the next 3 years so that should hopefully be nicely doable from MB dosh if nowt else

All very jolly!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 1st Aug 19, 1:00 PM
    • 8,800 Posts
    • 45,221 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Afternoon chums

Nothing to report, just trying to get myself into *work* mode (er, by posting on MSE ) after a shaky start this morning. Completely got out of bed the wrong side this morning, NO idea what happened - didn't wake up before the alarm as I usually do, so perhaps I was just jolted out of a particularly deep bit of the sleep cycle or something. Even a cafe trip didn't sort me out (although I did get rid of a few emails while I was there), and I actually went back to bed and slept for an hour before lunch, which is unheard of

Still, I've had a tasty wholesome soup for lunch (made by Mr cheery), and a crumpet Chickens all seem happy in the sunshine (we've been worried about Beaky this week but she seems ok today, and has started being a nuisance again which is a good sign ) So now it's time to get on.

I'm off tomorrow, and only have a four day week next week, and then I'm off for over a fortnight LOTS to do in that time (including sorting out my application for promotion - aarrgghh! Very scared of this, but it will go quite a long way towards meeting our mortgage goals... so well worth doing Whether I get it is of course another matter but I suppose you have to try! )

Also got lots of other things to think about - which I am TRYING to save for tomorrow when I'm off

Got a builder coming to quote in a fortnight (yes, a long way off - but they were actually cheerful and professional and made me a specific appointment, rather than saying they were busy for a year (!) or that they would turn up 'at some point'). Very much want to get on with the building work now - we 'stopped for Christmas' in November and NO progress has been made since then. That's two whole rooms out of action upstairs (that we've never been able to use), and a kitchen with a 'rubble feature' in the floor

I want it gone, and am getting increasingly willing to pay good money to have it gone - especially now I know we can replenish savings pretty quickly with MB dosh

I also need to sort out getting our hay field cut - scything bloke hasn't got back to me to say if he can do the date he originally suggested, so I need to email/ring him again, and also I've found a number for another contractor (with a tractor) so I need to ring/email them too.

And I need to investigate grants for dry stone walls Planning to fix most myself as they break, but one is next to a footpath and quite difficult to get at, and beyond my limited capabilities at the minute. The grant won't pay for all of it (about 75% I think) but worth applying for. Feel bad applying for a grant - it's my wall after all! But they're there to encourage people to preserve the character of the countryside etc (after all I suppose it would be cheaper to just stick a fence in and let the wall fall down...)

Anyway, waffling now Impatient for mortgage overpayment letter to turn up so I can see the latest amount and apply for the refix!
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 2nd Aug 19, 5:48 AM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 13,903 Thanks
    themadvix
    Lots going on there Cheery! Don't feel bad about the grant - as you say, it's what it's there for and helps you in your role as steward of your bit of countryside. And because it's next to the footpath it probably takes more abuse than other bits of wall.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Aug 19, 8:39 PM
    • 8,800 Posts
    • 45,221 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks

Just popping in to report that I've applied for the mortgage re-fix Had a letter to say the overpayment from last week had gone through, and the balance is now just under 200,100 So we've pressed the button to apply for a 5 year fix at 2.26% which we're very happy with at this point

Now just need to get on and overpay the damn thing to get rid of it

In small MSE news, I saved myself 4 in parking earlier by parking further away and walking Did then go out and spend 8.50 on lunch with a pal but we saved on buying an extra cuppa by popping in to her mum's house instead (that wasn't the reason we did it, honest!)

Anyway, a nice day, and so much better than yesterday, when I was in SUCH a grump I had to take myself off to bed at 8.30pm because I was just sick of myself Did sleep pretty much all the way through til 7am though so I clearly needed it

Not sure whether I ever reported, but July's matched betting dosh was 591 and I'm now at 76 for August (and the FOOTBALL is back on I *never* thought I'd be excited about such a thing but it does make rather a difference in MB terms!).

Up to 3069 in total as of today (although of course at this point about 1700 of that has been paid off the mortgage )
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Aug 19, 8:53 PM
    • 32,125 Posts
    • 189,752 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Omigod, you topped 3k with the matched betting! Congratulations (again) ... so impressive.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Aug 19, 11:21 PM
    • 8,800 Posts
    • 45,221 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Certainly did - I'm well pleased! can't believe I didn't do it years ago but I just couldn't get over the whole betting thing and I was never willing to risk money before and didn't trust myself not to do anything wrong...

But I'm in the right place for our now and it's all working out nicely

Mind you, it is rather like having a second job sometimes... but a nice flexible one that I can take or leave so...
    • Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 5th Aug 19, 1:21 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 6,774 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    I really must ry this matched betting... I'm too scared I have an addictive personality and we'll end up owing thousands
    Mortgage restart June 2018 119950
    Re mortgage August 19 110470, HSBC 4450cc, Hfx 6950, NW 5970 1330, car 6000.
    CC 18700
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 5th Aug 19, 6:02 AM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 13,903 Thanks
    themadvix
    Great going on the MBing Cheery!

Love the saving on the second cuppa
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Aug 19, 6:43 AM
    • 8,800 Posts
    • 45,221 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Damn it, just lost a big post!

Anyway, I was saying... I really don't want to put you off Moneyfordreams but as you mentioned having an addictive personality... just be aware that I now have accounts with 60 or 70 betting shops or casinos Only you know if that will be an issue for you.

If you follow eg the Team Profit guides to the letter it's impossible to lose money. People do though - mostly because they're rushing and not following instructions properly, or they"ve started casino offers before they really understand them and have tried to chase their losses. O ly you know if that would be you.

I'd certainly not describe it as an 'easy' option - took me weeks to read everything and get my head round it properly to feel comfortable (and I still read a lot of instructions). I'd say I probably spend 1-3 hours a day on it and so far have made between 550 and 850 a month.

For me, it"s the perfect side gig - flexible, no commitment, no boss, can ignore when I'm busy. But I'm organized and methodical, and not remotely inclined towards gambling. Only you know if it will suit you xx
    • lindez
    • By lindez 5th Aug 19, 8:13 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 2,417 Thanks
    lindez
    Congratulations Cheery on sorting your mortgage out and the MB is great I may take a little look at it myself. I managed to today to sort my mortgage out what a palaver it was nearly two hours on the phone just got to wait for the paperwork now. xx
    MFWB#44
    MFTT5 #28
    save 12k in 2019 #71
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

3,142Users online

Martin's Twitter